AHC: European settler state in Asia

I've also created an independent British dominion of Federated Shan States, which was made an Anglo-Burmese homeland in 1948 as was proposed in real life by Charles Haswell Campagnac in 1946. In addition to Shan state, this nation also includes Kachin, Kayin, Kauah, Mon and Tanitharyi. It was minority ruled by Eurasians and Europeans until 2003, and became a republic in 2005.

I am not sure how viable this could be but you could have something related to Turanism. I know a Hungarian (can't think of the name) saw the Hungarians in the Uyghurs or something along those lines.

Say a small movement of a few thousand Hungarians begins with them migrating to Siberia and later into the Tarim Basin. With a lot of luck the group begins to grow rather rapidly and spreads further. Come the assumed rise of Mao they side with his movement gaining prestige and a somewhat preferential treatment allowing them to expand even more and likely integrating a great number. Skip forward again closer to the present, the Turans are in the majority with a continued bond with the Communist party held mostly out of convince.

Thoughts?

Harbin in Manchuria was once effectively a Russian colony, with only twenty five thousand Han and Manchurians in a city of one hundred thousand people. In an alternate Russian Civil War, a White state could be carved out of Manchuria (perhaps in conjunction with a restored Bogd Khanate in Mongolia?), and have its population greatly augmented by emigres.

I think maybe the Dutch would be better country to look toward if biracial would be okay for this challenge, if Netherlands adopted a policy where soldier was give land and resettled on Papua New Guniea, Borneo or Formosa after their service was over in soldier colonies. These would likely have native wives, but their descend end would be Dutch speaking and Reformed with visible European ancestry. Also later when they have developed these areas for a few centuries, these would be popular places for The Dutch Indo to retire or move after Indonesian independence.

TruthfulPanda

Gone Fishin'
Harbin in Manchuria was once effectively a Russian colony, with only twenty five thousand Han and Manchurians in a city of one hundred thousand people. In an alternate Russian Civil War, a White state could be carved out of Manchuria (perhaps in conjunction with a restored Bogd Khanate in Mongolia?), and have its population greatly augmented by emigres.
Aside from 1858/50, another possibility is the Sino-Franco War of 1885.
Have Russia build the Transsiberian twenty years earlier and jump on the bandwagon, gaining "special rights" in Manchuria. And then Russia blocks Chinese immigration AND sends 100-200K colonists a year to Manchuria for twenty years ...

*Hainan Island
*Hokkaido
*Sakhalin
*Taiwan
*Nicobar and/or Andaman Islands
*Jeju Island (S. Korea)
*Any number of Indonesian or Philippine Islands

Excluding Russian-controlled areas of Northern/Central Asia, and the state of Israel, devise a scenario in which European settlers become a majority or even a sizeable minority in an Asian colony.

Given the large populations of Asia, this would obviously be very difficult and require some creativity to imagine. It's pretty difficult to imagine any European-majority state larger than a city-state. Could any of the colonial city-states in India have gained a European majority (or even a sizeable minority)? Could the Portuguese have created a settler-state in Portuguese Timor?
Excluding any possible Eastern European settlers and only focusing on Western settler limits the possibilites. I think a possibilty would be Taiwan as it has historically bean sparsly populated.

I've tossed over the idea of an European Formosa, IOTL there were jade deposits that was exploited by hand tools post WWII in the eastern mountains of Taiwan, mechanized by the 1975 . Should these be discovered earlier it would give an European kingdom something to trade with Canton that the Chinese actually wanted instead of silver or opium. Some kingdoms such as Portugal relied extensively on secrecy to protect its empire least a stronger empire took over and that may be the rationale to use settlers instead of local slaves/labour. A decent economic and political rationale for a settler colony, the question was how.
A European settler colony on Formosa would likely be established first as a penal colony i think.

As with all things its a matter of relative demand, the Spanish settled/conquered numerous colonies for their silver exports, various kingdoms conquered/settled the East Indies for their spices among others, jade was valuable and the sources of it concentrated enough with an insatiable demand among Chinese nobles, merchants, and bureaucrats.

The question was how, for existing plantations secrecy wasn't a concern and there was an existing local labour pool. For Taiwan the natives were relatively sparse and it seems foolish to hire Chinese labourers that will inevitably reveal its presence to the mainland.

The Chinese Civilization were familiar with Formosa/Taiwan long before the West. They just did not feel any need to colonise the area before much later.

Do you think white russian emigres could create a state in manchuria with OTL levels of population there?

There were a proposal to creat a state for anglo-indians and anglo-burmese in the Andaman islands.
I know, I've referred to it in a post in this thread. But I changed things so that I created Federated Shan States for Anglo-Burmese and because islands are so small and there were hundreds of thousands of AI, they need multiple states.

I know, I've referred to it in a post in this thread. But I changed things so that I created Federated Shan States for Anglo-Burmese and because islands are so small and there were hundreds of thousands of AI, they need multiple states.
Why would they need so many states? Could they not have one independant state? Maybe it could have similar canton system as switzerland?

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands have a population of 380,000 OTL and a density of 46 km/2. That's pretty lightly populated. If they had a population density of the UK, they'd have 2.25 million people. A population density of Taiwan would give the islands a population greater than New Zealand at over 5.3 million. Since such a state would be created in the modern age, it could import any food it needed from elsewhere and export whatever. And as the government of Burma knows well, the Shan States have many vibrant indigenous cultures which are very capable of resistance, and had about 2 million people by the mid-20th century. So might as well go to the islands where the locals are some Indians brought in from the mainland and the broken remnants of the indigenous people, and thus there would be no need to fight a major insurgency.