AHC: Basque nation

The Netherlands and Portugal had small Colonies (excluding Brazil) and also mostly went for Colonies in the Old World
Hmm? Are you saying that the 15th-16th cent. Portuguese and the 17th cent. Dutch empires aren't a success (size-wise)? Anyway, it's moot: I didn't mean for the Basques to necessarily be as successful.

Just because there fishing there doesn`t mean the government knows that theye could colonize it. They did`nt OTL. Scandinavians were over there. Did that lead to anything? Newfoundland is not profitable either,
You're right, it doesn't mean the government knows how to colonize. But it means the king of Navarre will have the means and the opportunity to sponsor expeditions and set up lucrative codfish bases. They'll have an edge.
and is also an area where they would conflict with the British and French.
I accept that. But if the Basques don't overstretch, they still can defend a modest colony with access to the Grand Banks (like Newfoundland or smaller) and the British and the French will have plenty of space to expand.
<snip map>
Yes, OTL 15th cent. Navarre is landlocked. That's why TTL Navarre should have Biscay to amount to something.

Last edited:
Neither Portugal nor the Netherlands...
They don't need to fair as well as the Portuguese or the Dutch but since the 1400s Basques from OTL were specially known as great sailors, I see potential for a Basque Newfoundland or so.

The Dutch weren't wealthy? Holland was where capitalism started and a huge centre of trade. The Portuguese got rich off Ceuta, which financed further exploration. Both were significantly more populous than the Basques.

As for a Basque Newfoundland, it seems fairly analagous to a New Sweden or a New Netherland. They quickly got swallowed up by the British.

The Dutch weren't wealthy? Holland was where capitalism started and a huge centre of trade.
I think that title comes from pioneering with stock exchanges... with VOC!
But I confess I don't know how was Holland's (not Antwerp's) medieval economy in comparison to Bilbao's...

The Portuguese got rich off Ceuta, which financed further exploration.
No, not at all!

Both were significantly more populous than the Basques.

They have even less population, yes. That's why they need not to overstretch like the Portuguese Empire populated by only 1 million people did... and still managed to somehow survive for a handful of centuries.
I don't have 15th century figures for the Basques but I'm quite sure that the leap between the Basques and the Portuguese and the Dutch is much smaller than the leap between the latter 2 and the French and the English/British.

Localizaci%C3%B3n_de_Navarra.svg
Navarre1400.png

It was a land-locked country. The shoreline was close, but... No ports!

Moreover the official language was not basque: it was castillian.

In fact there was not an unified basque language (that is a modern invention), but lots and lots of dialects.

I apologize. When I said “invasion”, I meant “send hugs” because that is what peoples attempting to seize new lands do.
Except that it didn't worked that way, with plain IE peoples against locals. As the germanic people later, the IE peoples agglomerated others with them, reducing their proportion into minority.
We have people as Ligurians that are most propably in fact coalition of IE and locals, rather than an aristocratic elite purely IE.

So yes, there's a part of "sending hugs" as making alliances, interbreeding with elites, coalitions between IE and non-IE up to the formation of a common elite. But, "pure" invasion and warfare to settle new lands? Nah.

That's more accurate than "IE warrior pawn locals and rule" that's was already retarded when the Nazis used it for "legitimize" their conquests. It's exactly the same mistake to see the "Barbarian Invasions" as an invasion of Germans against Romans, a pure war of conquest.
The Iberians had no ability or desire to take over the whole of the Iberian peninsula, from what I can tell: their settlements make them out as if they were a seafaring people in the Med.
I disagree, there was probably iberic settlement on the two sides of Pyrenees (more than the Ibero-Aquitain and Iberic settlement in Languedoc). Without the IE and later Celtic pressure, we would likely have an Iberian settlement that would have reach a Gironde-Massif Central-Aude line.

Enough to surround a basque population.

The Basques to them would be hill tribes who would be highly irritating and pointless to conquer.
Except that the Basques managed to hold the better passes on the western Pyrenees and in fact, the only passes usable in winter.

So there's a fucking interest into coquering this region : controlling these passes, the trade, the possibility to hold the region against a northern invader, etc.

There obviously had to be some fighting, old populations dont just vanish when a new group shows up and starts taking all the stuff and I doubt they didnt atleast attempt to fight them.
But the populations didn't vanished : they were integrated into coalitions at first (like germanic people used to be a coalition of anything they crossed) and most of the IE subgroups we know most probably were mixed from the beggining of their history.

Of course, you most probably had fighting, but i strongly dispute the "IE vs non-IE" cliché.

I wonders how it is in Euskari. Anyone speak Basque, here?

Mmm...Depends. Northern Basque Country is heavily francized, both due to education and to medias, and of course to the touristic industry that litteraly chased inhabitants from coastal cities to replace them with french people.

In the spanish side, you have more everyday basque-speakers but it's bilingual situation that is predominant.

It was a land-locked country. The shoreline was close, but... No ports!

In fact there was not an unified basque language (that is a modern invention), but lots and lots of dialects.
There was a Navarro-Aragonese romance that eventually shifted to Castilian (not sure when).

There was a Navarro-Aragonese romance that eventually shifted to Castilian (not sure when).

Castillan and Aragonese, as Leonese were still different versions of the same hispanic language, even in the Middle-Ages. Thanks to different administration, Aragonese managed to survive more long as a different speak (as an Ansbau language, if you prefer).

And? Official language of Brittany was french, one century earlier than France that used latin.
It's not meaning that it wasn't an heavy usage of basque.

ALL languages are invented, or are a mix between popular dialects and scientific elaboration. You don't have ANY language whom the forms and grammar weren't more or less arbitrary decided, basing themselves on popular dialects.
That's the case for English, French, Occitan...and Basque. The fact that said elaboration was made relativly recently (and, it didn't appeared like that, it was the result of 150 years of intellectual development) that it's less formative.

I mean, even the dialectal classification of basque is due to Louis-Lucien Bonaparte, and is from the XIX century. And it's not meaning that basque language miraculously appeared, as a vulgar Holy Virgin at Lourdes.

And? Official language of Brittany was french, one century earlier than France that used latin.
It's not meaning that it wasn't an heavy usage of basque.
And? Independent Brittany would have used french as official language and the population would have started to use French once general education was widespread...
An independent Navarre would have Spanish used by the elites and then imposed to the rest of the population. In Navarre only in the mountains Basque was used, in the lowlands they have always used latin-derived languages (navarre-aragonese and castillian).

ALL languages are invented, or are a mix between popular dialects and scientific elaboration. You don't have ANY language whom the forms and grammar weren't more or less arbitrary decided, basing themselves on popular dialects.
That's the case for English, French, Occitan...and Basque. The fact that said elaboration was made relativly recently (and, it didn't appeared like that, it was the result of 150 years of intellectual development) that it's less formative.

I mean, even the dialectal classification of basque is due to Louis-Lucien Bonaparte, and is from the XIX century. And it's not meaning that basque language miraculously appeared, as a vulgar Holy Virgin at Lourdes.
Until the Batua version of Basque was imposed in late XX century people from one valley that always spoke a Basque dialect had to use Spanish to communicate with people from other valleys that always spoke Basque because they could not understand among them.

And? Independent Brittany would have used french as official language and the population would have started to use French once general education was widespread...
Except, it didn't worked that way, even when the French Republic imposed the use of French as only public language (not just official, but the language to use everywhere). Breton was ceased to be widely used, even in the familial and work sphere when the economical ties became really strong and ended the isolation of these regions.

Linguistical policy have little impact on languages, it only limit their use to familial and private discussions.
An independent Navarre would have Spanish used by the elites and then imposed to the rest of the population. In Navarre only in the mountains Basque was used, in the lowlands they have always used latin-derived languages (navarre-aragonese and castillian).
Again, french was the only official language of Brittany since the XIV, and in France since the XVI and it didn't had impact on which language used populations, until the globalisation of first half of XX happened.

Until the Batua version of Basque was imposed in late XX century people from one valley that always spoke a Basque dialect had to use Spanish to communicate with people from other valleys that always spoke Basque because they could not understand among them.
I don't want to look suspicious, but this kind of argument is over-used for other languages : in south of France, some people said that before the XX century, nobody could understand the language of someone inhabiting 100 km further.

So, you'll excuse me if I want a source for such an argument that's proven elsewhere to be totally wrong?

Winnabago

Banned
@LSCatalina: And somehow, the Indo-European language style got worked into the majority. Funny how that happens.

Seriously, by your logic the Byzantines should have stayed Latin, but Romans would have been in the minority anyways.

Making alliances isn’t how one systematically replaces someone else’s language with your own. Seeing as the Indo-Europeans certainly had no strong government, it seems there could not have been any sort of government action making Indo-European dominant.

So, it seems clear that local ways must have been displaced somehow.

Of course, then it probably wouldn’t be Iberic. Likely, due to the general non-developed-ness of Spain at the time (we can see this in how it was conquered for raw-materials purposes) we would simply have feuding tribes, with Ibero-Basque-speaking tribes on the borderline.

While western Hispanic Iberians might have SPOKEN a form of Iberian, they likely wouldn’t actually have any special magical ties to the ones on the coast, any more than the Greeks had special magical ties to the Thracians.

Conquer the Pyrenees and trade with who, exactly? The equally barbarous (read: poor) people who likely would have lived in southwestern France at the time? There’s SO many better, more fertile, developed, and rich places to go for! It’s the same reason Alexander the Great went east instead of west.

Also, I bet there would simply be significantly more Basques had the Indo-Europeans never arrived.

@LSCatalina: And somehow, the Indo-European language style got worked into the majority. Funny how that happens.

Seriously, by your logic the Byzantines should have stayed Latin, but Romans would have been in the minority anyways.
This is not my logic, this is historical statement.

Following archeogical evidence, we had probably at last two IE waves, the first being quickly integrated into the local populations,

And for the Byzantines, it could have happened if Greek wasn't present already as a prestige and culture language that was spoken by Latins as well.

Of course, for IE and pre-IE languages, the final sucess of its use is explained by the relative few population in Europe (except at its margin where non-IE languages managed to hold their territories as Crete, Etruria, Iberic regions of Gaul, maybe some pre-ligurian shores). Everywhere the population was disseminated and relativly not important, the IE seems to have played a role of unification.

But the use of a language doesn't mean they imposed it by force : again, under the name IE people, you had many non-IE elements. They used their language, as the non-germanic elements among the Goths used the gothic language.

Of course, in the laters migrations in Europe, the union of peoples under one name didn't managed to make their language established instead of local ones, mainly because the locals' language was more prestigious.

We have some exemple though, with Al-Andalus mainly. While the Arabs represented an hilariously tiny part of the rulers (You had Berbers and converted in massive majority), the country quickly used Arab as main language, even among the non-Arabs. Still, the said rulers didn't imposed their language, or it wasn't the direct result of an invasion (we have regions in Al-Andalus that kept romance as main language, at margins...again). It was just that the ethnic Arabs became the focus point of the elites, and that even if they were the tiny part, the role owed them the cultural superiority (while, I repeat it, they never were the majority).

They managed to "send hugs" to local elites, to interbreed. Not to exterminate them, or to continually "invade" after the original campaign.

So "MY logic"? I don't think so.

Making alliances isn’t how one systematically replaces someone else’s language with your own. Seeing as the Indo-Europeans certainly had no strong government, it seems there could not have been any sort of government action making Indo-European dominant.

Not systematically, indeed. But it happened there, later and still today.
Talking of government for this era is increadibily anachronic : Indo-European carried some different hierarchy, hardly a government.
So, it seems clear that local ways must have been displaced somehow.
Of course. But the local uses are probably the origin of the quick differenciation of IE languages and customs, that necessited three great waves to became predominant.

I would point the existence of bronze ages cultures that are widesread undifferencialy on regions reached by IE or not (as the beaker culture). That could show the local populations kept their traditional links whatever the predocimiance of IE among the elites. Probably that the IE cultural influence managed to use the existing ties to being widespread in regions where the ethnics IE didn't go at first.

In fact, particularly in Asia, the linguistic and cultural influence of IE seems to have been made by influence and by mix, rather than a fantasmed invasion (with NO archeological evidence, while these ones seems to indicate a mix of different population during the Indus Civilisation era).

Amusingly, the IE seems to had a better influence and cultural focalisation on peoples that shared their way of life, and theire relative few numbers; while more ancient, more "urban", more highland societies seems to have rather well resisted that, even when they were in their sphere of influence.

Again, this is how it worked later too. You can influence and acculturate people close of you (and that enter the question of pre-indo european, as languages close to IE used in Europe before the first migrations), and far less the ones that aren't.

Of course, then it probably wouldn’t be Iberic. Likely, due to the general non-developed-ness of Spain at the time (we can see this in how it was conquered for raw-materials purposes) we would simply have feuding tribes, with Ibero-Basque-speaking tribes on the borderline.
I don't quite well understand the "undevelloped" stuff here. In the same time the IE appears anew in Europe, and there apparently became predominants, you have the appearence of urban communauties in the south.

Interestingly

While western Hispanic Iberians might have SPOKEN a form of Iberian, they likely wouldn’t actually have any special magical ties to the ones on the coast, any more than the Greeks had special magical ties to the Thracians
Atlantic Bronze Age culture seems to have unified the peninsula, until the appearance of proper iberian civlisations. Someone, I don't remember who, proposed to see an Urnefield progression up to the actual Murcia as one of the explanation of the ulterior division.

Of course, it doesn't explain all, critically why a non-IE culture as Atlantic Bronze Age seems had to be was finally more easy for pre-Halstatt people to settle than eastern Iberia. My take on this is that the eastern Pyrenean passes must have declinated to the beneficial of Mediterranean trade, making the contacts less frequents between Europe and eastern Iberia; while the western passes continued these contacts : you can see that we find far more western Iberic products in Europe than eastern ones.

Conquer the Pyrenees and trade with who, exactly? The equally barbarous (read: poor) people who likely would have lived in southwestern France at the time? There’s SO many better, more fertile, developed, and rich places to go for! It’s the same reason Alexander the Great went east instead of west.
More rich equals more defensible. Alexander had an army and supported by a civilisation that can supply it.

Comparate the IE peoples with Alexander army is on the edge of insanity, like comparing proto-slavs of I century with augustean army.

For the trade, i found this map, with some innacuracies, but that show that regarding what we currently found, the today's Basque Country was in good situation for being a trade passage between Iberic peninsula and Europe, critically when the south and east of the peninsula began to be more interested on mediterranean trade than continental.

Winnabago

Banned
So your explanation as to why Europe became Indo-European is that somehow, these unwashed horse-lovers had a language that was seen as culturally sophisticated (like Greek was)? How did their language end up prestigious, without using killing people, the thing steppe horsemen seemed to be best at?

Relatively few Europeans doesn’t explain why a bunch of pastoral nomads (not known for high population density) managed to make their language rule a continent by intermarrying them to death. With horses somehow involved.

If people simply decided to use Indo-European, the question remains: why? My explanation: The Indo-Europeans killed most of the men, married a bunch of the women, and put the rest of the men in shitty social positions until the local Europeans assimilated, same as what nomadic tribes usually did to each other.

I explicitly said the Indo-Europeans DIDN’T have a government. That was my point, actually.
Of course. But the local uses are probably the origin of the quick differenciation of IE languages and customs, that necessited three great waves to became predominant.

I would point the existence of bronze ages cultures that are widesread undifferencialy on regions reached by IE or not (as the beaker culture). That could show the local populations kept their traditional links whatever the predocimiance of IE among the elites. Probably that the IE cultural influence managed to use the existing ties to being widespread in regions where the ethnics IE didn't go at first.

In fact, particularly in Asia, the linguistic and cultural influence of IE seems to have been made by influence and by mix, rather than a fantasmed invasion (with NO archeological evidence, while these ones seems to indicate a mix of different population during the Indus Civilisation era).

Amusingly, the IE seems to had a better influence and cultural focalisation on peoples that shared their way of life, and theire relative few numbers; while more ancient, more "urban", more highland societies seems to have rather well resisted that, even when they were in their sphere of influence.

Again, this is how it worked later too. You can influence and acculturate people close of you (and that enter the question of pre-indo european, as languages close to IE used in Europe before the first migrations), and far less the ones that aren't.
Shrug. I agree with this bloc.

Undeveloped Hispania: As in, when other groups moved into Hispania, such as the Romans, they did not conquer it for trade or farming or prestige purposes, they conquered it because
a) it was on the way to Carthaginian stuff
b) minerals
In other words, raw materials. A sign of a fringe power, stuck being attacked by peoples who can mobilize more resources.

Atlantic Bronze Age Culture=/=Atlantic Bronze Age Actual Government, any more than Sumerian culture means united Sumerian government.

Far more Western Iberian products than Eastern Iberian? In what part of Europe are you referring to? I imagine sheer logistics would make trade with the Med. coast of Spain more profitable for a Med. power. Anyway, point being that more widespread Iberians doesn’t mean unified Iberians by any means, and certainly not necessarily an anti-Basque sentiment.

But there’s nothing really to gain from barbarian lands. Simple individual optimization.
"Hey, guys, I conquered the Pyrenees!”
“Maybe you can go back and someone will let you have sex with their horse.”
“Er, they actually can’t afford horses."
“Hey guys, I conquered Tunisia!”
“Dude! Let’s go take somebody’s farm!”

Sorry, don’t see your map.

So your explanation as to why Europe became Indo-European is that somehow, these unwashed horse-lovers had a language that was seen as culturally sophisticated (like Greek was)? How did their language end up prestigious, without using killing people, the thing steppe horsemen seemed to be best at?
No, i said that such migration usually made the locals used their languages, because they united the locals around them, while they were desunited or too weak.

The fact pre-indoeuropean languages could have been spoken in Central Europe (with Indo-European being only a subgroup of this pre-indoEuropean) could have really helped such acculturation.

BUT, when the locals were organised and having a different culture, or the IE were the ones to be acculturated, or they didn't even managed to get there.
In fact, some shores of Mediterranea didn't were touched by IE peoples before the IV century BC.

Relatively few Europeans doesn’t explain why a bunch of pastoral nomads (not known for high population density) managed to make their language rule a continent by intermarrying them to death. With horses somehow involved.
Because, while intermarrying, they managd to unite them. Somewhat the same process that happened with Franks, that united the different nobilities of Gaul (Roman, eastern Breton, Burgund, Gothic, Aquitain, etc.) by intermarrying them at the point every noble considered himself Franks since the VII in the north, since the X in the south.
If people simply decided to use Indo-European, the question remains: why? My explanation: The Indo-Europeans killed most of the men, married a bunch of the women, and put the rest of the men in shitty social positions until the local Europeans assimilated, same as what nomadic tribes usually did to each other.
Unfortunatly, such theory have been dismissed.
You have no archeological proof of such mass killing, and killing men to marry women would have been...foolish, regarding the matrolinear (or even matriarcal) practices of megalithic and early bronze age cultures in Europe.

And, finally, genetics are helping here. Both halogroup R1a and genetic components seems to indicate 1)A migration of some groups up to OTL Germany and Northern persia 2)An acculturation rather than a conquest west and south of these regions 3)The fact anatolian and middle-eastern common genes are still predominants among European population.

Not, equal, as it would have been if it was just "IE breed non-IE". Predominant, and hugely.

I found a page in english of an interesting study.

Undeveloped Hispania: As in, when other groups moved into Hispania, such as the Romans, they did not conquer it for trade or farming or prestige purposes, they conquered it because
What about the Iberic cities, or Tartessos culture
Atlantic Bronze Age Culture=/=Atlantic Bronze Age Actual Government, any more than Sumerian culture means united Sumerian government.
I don't get your point here. I pointed that this non-IE culture existed, and that it united both all the peninsula, and that it pointed trade and exchanges thanks to passes of Western Pyrenees.
Far more Western Iberian products than Eastern Iberian? In what part of Europe are you referring to? I imagine sheer logistics would make trade with the Med. coast of Spain more profitable for a Med. power.
Western Europe mainly. See the map as an exemple (not the ultimate discovery, just ONE exemple of such exchanges).

Anyway, point being that more widespread Iberians doesn’t mean unified Iberians by any means, and certainly not necessarily an anti-Basque sentiment.
Who talked about "unifying" anything? IE peoples weren't unified, hell, not even pre-IE greeks were.

But, a culture is a culture, even if it's shattered among tribes or cities.

Sorry, don’t see your map.
There it is.

As you can see, the more urbanized regions of the peninsula serves as trade centers for Europe and mediterranea.
South and East Iberia seems to have more connections with products imported/exported trough sea, while Tage and western Iberia seems to made the same thing for western Europe.

I think you're underestimating the development of the peninsula at the second and first millenium BC : Mettalurgy of silver and copper was known since the third millenia BC in the peninsula and bronze since second millenia, you had already a continental trade (people found austruch eggs, amber from Baltic sea, ivory, etc).

Hardly only farmer tribes, disconnected from each other. The construction of megaliths or beehive tombs in Mediterranea seems to indicate a coordinate society, probably of "Big Man"-style.

Winnabago

Banned
No, i said that such migration usually made the locals used their languages, because they united the locals around them, while they were desunited or too weak.
Why would the Indo-Europeans give two shits about whether you used their language, unless they were ruling over you and forcibly acculturating you, like I’ve been saying? Also, HOW would they spread their language to you without ruling you anyway?

Anyhoo, agree with you on the agriculture bit.

So your definition of “intermarrying” is “kill the powerful locals, depose the government, and marry the women”, like what happened quite a bit in Gallia during the fall of the Roman Empire. Pretty much what I’m saying, really.
killing men to marry women would have been...foolish, regarding the matrolinear (or even matriarcal) practices of megalithic and early bronze age cultures in Europe.
Foolish? It doesn’t strike me as foolish in the slightest to marry a woman and have her property. It certainly doesn’t make sense to leave the women with local men, which is leaving the land with local men, which ruins the whole point of invading.

Why exactly is there any sort of contradiction between “acculturation” and “conquest”?

That study is extremely interesting, but I don’t see any reason for “anatolian/middle eastern genes” to be predominant, especially looking at your interesting study. Even if they were, why is it important?

Trading cultures in the style of Ghana or Ethiopia, not in the style of Phoenecia or Greece. In other words, built around exporting raw materials, not refined or high-quality goods. Those cultures are generally described as exporting tin, copper, gold, etc. Put simply, they were local tribes that formed states to profit off outside demand for the metals, and not much more.

How exactly does a culture unite a peninsula? It has no connecting government. It’s like saying the Greeks united Greece, even though there was no central Greek government.

Could I have a source on the value of the Western Pyrenees? I’m a bit skeptical.

Your map is showing a weapons trade? An ONLY weapons trade? That doesn’t make sense. My judgement is that peoples raided back and forth, and founded settlements with their own culture’s weapons.

If you’re going to suggest any sort of war against the Basques on the part of the Iberians, then you must realize that a disunited Iberia means this likely won’t take place.

Okay, that agriculture nice. Now, how does this affect anything, exactly? These city-states might develop thalassocracies of their own eventually. In the meantime, how will this hurt the Basques? Same goes for your Atlantic raiding network.