AHC: as good as possible succesor the Ju-87 Stuka

Deleted member 1487

I think they were evenly matched in performance; the 190 should be rolling faster, while the G.56 should be better in turn once started. Probably the only clear advantage of the Fw 190 was the suitability for mass production.
Re. unused potential - good fuel quantity matched with DB 601/605 -> long range fighter that can perform, plus it can be produced and used more. Let's kill off the Me 210 to get the 1st engines.
The big V12s are obvious, in order to keep performance compettitive for 1944, so we're also killing off the Me 410.
In that case wouldn't it just have been better to use the Fiat G.55? The Fw190 was designed around the BMW 801, so redesigning it would have required a fair bit of work. Not saying it couldn't be done, but relative to the advantages gained, I think there are better options. Killing the Me210 certainly is a win-win proposition in any case and the Me410 is no significant loss all things considered.

I wonder how much shorter a DB605-ed FW190 would be than the FW190D.

Last edited by a moderator:
My successor to the JU87 after the BoB would have been the BF110. I know it was a failure as a day fighter, but as a ground attack aircraft I think it had potential. Fast, well armed and as was proven later the ability to carry a reasonable bomb load it would have been effective and much more survivable than the Stuka, its twin engines also providing useful redundancy incase of damage from ground fire. It's still vulnerable to fighters, but so is any ground attack aircraft, but not a sitting duck like the Stuka.

My successor to the JU87 after the BoB would have been the BF110. I know it was a failure as a day fighter, but as a ground attack aircraft I think it had potential. Fast, well armed and as was proven later the ability to carry a reasonable bomb load it would have been effective and much more survivable than the Stuka, its twin engines also providing useful redundancy incase of damage from ground fire. It's still vulnerable to fighters, but so is any ground attack aircraft, but not a sitting duck like the Stuka.
Bf110 couldn't defend itself without a bomb load

My first thought when seeing the OPs question was FW 190 Fighter Bomber and reading through the entire thread I still think FW 190 - simple Rugged and Effective.

It's not impossible to think of the FW-190 as a replacement for the Ju-87, largely because it was a replacement OTL. Rudel didn't think it was as effective in accomplishing its tasks, but certainly accepted that it was more likely to survive the attempt. Still, losses amongst FW attack aircraft were higher than amongst FW fighters, and, somewhat counterintuitively, Me fighters received more respect among Soviet fighter pilots.

I'm not saying it couldn't fill the role, because as you said it did. What I'm saying is that all things considered it Luftwaffe would do much better using it in its intended role, as that's where it's needed most, without there being an equally suitable alternative. (At least pre jet)

In that case wouldn't it just have been better to use the Fiat G.55? The Fw190 was designed around the BMW 801, so redesigning it would have required a fair bit of work. Not saying it couldn't be done, but relative to the advantages gained, I think there are better options. Killing the Me210 certainly is a win-win proposition in any case and the Me410 is no significant loss all things considered.

I wonder how much shorter a DB605-ed FW190 would be than the FW190D.

The G.55, per OTL, have had one or two major shortcomings, along with it's good points (firepower & maneuverability mostly). 1st is that it is too late, being introduced in June 1943 (1st flight at April 30th 1942), 2nd is that it was offering a 1941-level performance two years after 1941. (if someone believes it was capable for 417 mph on WER (??), I have Brooklyn bridge on sale)
Among it's shortcomings was the long production time, 15000 man-hours is rumored at Wikipedia.