AHC: A Romani nation

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create a plausible scenario where the Romani people get a country to call their own. The POD must be after 1800.

I'm thinking of a PoD where the British resettled the Romanis to the area around Jaisalmer (with the permission from the local ruler there), but I think it's nearly implausible, especially the lack of unified leadership among the Romani.

Last edited:

birdboy2000

Banned
The first problem is getting the Romani to want one. Israel wasn't just established with the support of the western powers (who were at times very much on the Palestinian Arab side anyway) but preceded by a national awaking in support of Zionism and a mass migration to the borders of the prospective state. You need an ideological movement about returning home, to the point of wanting to abandon long-held social roles to take up farming and every other occupation. You also need somewhere they think *is* home and have some kind of attachment to that they all agree on, if only to stop feuding over where to put Romaniland preventing them getting enough momentum for anywhere.

British support in the absence of an ideology in its favor looks more like deportations than Zionism. I have no idea what an ideological PoD would be to make a nation-state seem like a solution, although they were close enough to Europeans that such ideas could transmit like they did to the Jews - but getting them to hear about them and support them are very different, and I dunno what the latter would require.