AH Timeline: Shining Above, A Phoenix Suns 90s Dynasty

Should the Timberwolves relocate, if so where?

• Stay in Minnesota

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • New Orleans, LA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Louis, MO

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Memphis, TN

• Louisville, KY

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Anaheim, CA

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1995 NBA playoffs Phoenix Suns vs Houston Rockets part 2
Funny we both have 2 Arizona based timelines going on!
Haha yes I remember seeing John McCain on TV a lot when he was still alive. (Born and Raised in the Phoenix Area). I've been reading that timeline with him as president and I think it was definitely possible for him to win back in '08. The next election in my timeline is 1996 which is a couple seasons away in this world.

For now, Here's the Rest of the Suns first round series with the Houston Rockets!

G6: PHX 134 @ HOU 132 (OT) (The Summit Houston, TX) Series tied 3-3

Without Sir Charles, the Rockets seemed poised to complete the biggest upset in NBA playoff history at home in game 6. Houston started off well in this one, thanks to Hakeem the dream's 31 second half points that had Houston up by 8 at the break. At halftime Dan Marjerle fired up his teammates with a rousing speech. It seemed to work as Phoenix took the lead by end of the 3rd. But Houston would not quit and tied the game with 21 seconds to play in regulation. Phoenix had a chance to win with the last shot, but Cedric Cellballos missed a easy jumper from 23 feet. Houston called its last timeout, got the ball to Robert Horry who took a wide open shot with 3 seconds left. Thankfully for Suns fans everywhere, it missed to send the game to overtime. In OT, Danny Ainge would play hero again, scoring the first 6 points to lead Phoenix to a nail-biting 2-point win to stay alive and force game 7 back in Phoenix.

G7: HOU 86 @ PHX 105 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns win series 4-3

The Rockets seemed to have run out of gas after game 6. Hakeem Olajuwon would even lead all scorers in game 7 with almost half of his entire teams points. But the Suns just were one step ahead all night, never trailing after the first quarter to escape and head to the Western Conference Finals to face David Robinson and the Spurs, who eliminated Seattle in the other WCSF. The Suns would get some good news, as Charles Barkley will play in game 1 despite the injury he suffered in game 5 of this series.

Comments appreciated! What do you think?

Haha yes I remember seeing John McCain on TV a lot when he was still alive. (Born and Raised in the Phoenix Area). I've been reading that timeline with him as president and I think it was definitely possible for him to win back in '08. The next election in my timeline is 1996 which is a couple seasons away in this world.

For now, Here's the Rest of the Suns first round series with the Houston Rockets!

G6: PHX 134 @ HOU 132 (OT) (The Summit Houston, TX) Series tied 3-3

Without Sir Charles, the Rockets seemed poised to complete the biggest upset in NBA playoff history at home in game 6. Houston started off well in this one, thanks to Hakeem the dream's 31 second half points that had Houston up by 8 at the break. At halftime Dan Marjerle fired up his teammates with a rousing speech. It seemed to work as Phoenix took the lead by end of the 3rd. But Houston would not quit and tied the game with 21 seconds to play in regulation. Phoenix had a chance to win with the last shot, but Cedric Cellballos missed a easy jumper from 23 feet. Houston called its last timeout, got the ball to Robert Horry who took a wide open shot with 3 seconds left. Thankfully for Suns fans everywhere, it missed to send the game to overtime. In OT, Danny Ainge would play hero again, scoring the first 6 points to lead Phoenix to a nail-biting 2-point win to stay alive and force game 7 back in Phoenix.

G7: HOU 86 @ PHX 105 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns win series 4-3

The Rockets seemed to have run out of gas after game 6. Hakeem Olajuwon would even lead all scorers in game 7 with almost half of his entire teams points. But the Suns just were one step ahead all night, never trailing after the first quarter to escape and head to the Western Conference Finals to face David Robinson and the Spurs, who eliminated Seattle in the other WCSF. The Suns would get some good news, as Charles Barkley will play in game 1 despite the injury he suffered in game 5 of this series.

Comments appreciated! What do you think?
Great as always, and I had in my latest update of my TL I have Charles Barkley running for McCain’s senate seat

Last edited:
1995 Western Conference Finals Phoenix Suns vs San Antonio Spirs
G1: SA 113 @ PHX 117 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 1-0

Going into game 1, most fans expected a close series and this game was just that. The Admiral would have a nice game with 37 points, 3 assists and 10 rebounds but Phoenix took the lead in the fourth Quarter and went on to win by a hair.

G2: SA 92 @ PHX 98 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 2-0

The Spurs looked awful for most of game 2, turning the ball over a lot, leading to Suns points. Phoenix would lead all night thanks to Charles Barkley playing out of his mind in the first half. San Antonio would not quit however, coming back lead by David Robinson becoming a layup machine in the third and fourth. But it was to little to late, as Kevin Johnson would again show up late in the game and score some points to give Phoenix a 2-0 lead in the series heading to Texas.

G3: PHX 109 @ SA 106 (The AlamoDome San Antonio, TX) Suns lead series 3-0

All series long, David Robinson had been one step ahead of Dikembe Mutombo at the center position. But that would change in game 3. When his teammates went cold in game 3, the mount stepped up in this one making 2 after 2. Despite this, San Antonio lead after 3. KJ would again get hot in the fourth however, and give Phoenix the win. This series was hyped as a Barkley vs Robinson showdown, and it was now crystal clear that the Two-Time defending champs had the upper hand.

G4: PHX 117 @ SA 98 (The AlamoDome San Antonio, TX) Suns win series 4-0

The rest of the Suns were back on target again in game 4. Barkley had 45 points and Dan Marjerle had 42 to give the Suns a sweep and a birth in their third straight NBA Finals to play Reggie Miller and the Indiana Pacers, who eliminated the Atlanta Hawks in 6 games in the East Final.

Comments appreciated! Any predictions for the Finals?

1995 NBA Finals: Phoenix Suns vs Indiana Pacers
Going into this series the Suns were the obvious favorites to win their third straight title. Nobody was willing to count Indiana out however, having elimanated Michael Jordan's Bullets in 7 games and a tough Atlanta team in 6 in the ECF.

G1: IND 81 @ PHX 89 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 1-0

Dikembe Mutombo would continue his hot streak from the San Antonio series, scoring 37 in game 1 including a beautiful dunk over Pacers center Rik Smits in the second quarter. Reggie Miller tried his best to keep the Pacers in it, but him alone wasn't enough as the Suns won game 1.

G2: IND 78 @ PHX 88 (America West Arena Phoenix, AZ) Suns lead series 2-0

Game 2 would be just like game 1. Mutombo continuing to dominate on defense, he was all over the Pacers in this one. Charles Barkley was fabulous, scoring a game high 32 points, including 7 threes. Reggie Miller would drop 31, but again it wasn't enough.

G3: PHX 91 @ IND 87 (Market Square Arena Indianapolis, ID) Suns lead series 3-0

The series would shift to Basketball-crazy Indiana and the city was a buzz. Market Square Arena was filled with screaming fans an hour before the game, and many more were turned away at the gate before the start of the game. The Suns seemed to be unfazed however, jumping on the Pacers early, scoring the first 11 points in the game. Indiana would wake up and get the place back in it. But in the fourth Kevin Johnson as usual got white hot, making shot after shot after shot. Reggie Miller would try to rally his troups but again the Suns were determined not to choke it as for the third series in a row, took a 3-0 series lead.

G4: PHX 80 @ IND 87 (Market Square Arena Indianapolis, ID) Suns lead series 3-1

Now playing for pride in game 4, the Pacers would finally play better then Phoenix. Reggie Miller had a great game, hitting three after three. He even got a triple-double, scoring almost half of the Pacers points. Dikembe Mutombo would have a good game again for the Suns blocking a lucky 13 shots.

G5: PHX 86 @ IND 73 (Market Square Arena Indianapolis, ID) Suns win series 4-1

Game 5 was a complete team effort for Phoenix as Barkley, Mutombo, Johnson and Marjerle would all chip in almost all of the 86 Suns points to wrap the series up in Indiana. Reggie Miller would have another great game, but just like all series, him alone would not be enough as Phoenix wrapped up a third straight NBA crown. "This is unbelievable!" said Charles Barkley in a post game interview "Never beyond my wildest dreams would I have won all of this." Dikembe Mutombo who played the defense of a lifetime, won Finals MVP with a record 33 blocked shots in this series.

1995 in other sports
NFL: For the first time since 1974 the Miami Dolphins have won the Super Bowl defeating the heavily favored Dallas Cowboys 31-29 in Super Bowl 29 on a last second field goal. The Game which was played at Joe Robbie Stadium marked the first time ever that a team won, let alone played in, the Super Bowl in its home stadium. The Los Angeles Rams will be staying in Southern California after being bought by Malcolm Glazer. The team will play in Anaheim until a new stadium in nearby Inglewood, CA opens in 1999. Meanwhile the LA Raiders, in a surprise move will be playing in Nashville, Tennessee for the 1995 season and beyond. The team will now be called the Tennessee Titans. Rumor: After the death of team owner and founder Hugh Culverhouse, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are rumored to be moving soon.

NHL: The Chicago Blackhawks are Stanley Cup Champions for the first time since 1961 after defeating the Washington Capitals in the Stanley Cup Final 4 games to 0. Give credit to Washington however as they were the 8 seed the Eastern Conference but managed to upset Quebec, the Rangers and Philadelphia before running into the Hawks. Speaking of the Nordiques, they will be moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin for the 1995-96 season. The team will be named the Admirals after the successful minor league hockey team that called Milwaukee home.

MLB: For the first time since the 1977-1978 Yankees, Major League Baseball has a repeat champion as the Montreal Expos defeated the Cleveland Indians in 5 games to win the franchises second straight title. Larry Walkers dramatic home run in the bottom of the 11th inning capped of the second straight title for the ‘Spos. This was the last year for the San Francisco Giants before the franchise will suspend operations while everyone tied to the team will join the “expansion” team Arizona Diamondbacks for the 1996 season, including Super Star slugger Barry Bonds. The Oakland Athletics could also be our after a Alameda County vote to make renovations to the aging Oakland Coliseum did not pass. Rumors are the could be moving across the bay to San Fran if the city is willing to build a new ballpark.

ummm okay sure. Can we have some more background on this and the reason for the redesign?
Well actually.....

Raiders saved at 11th Hour

With rumors saying that the Raiders would leave LA and move to Nashville to become the Tennessee Titans, the NFL stepped in and blocked the move. This came after Al Davis. the longtime owner of the team was killed in a car crash on New Yeas Eve 1994. In the meantime the Davis family will run the team for at least another season before anything can happen. Our other football team, the Rams will be staying in Los Angeles/Anaheim for a while now after a new stadium was announced and Malcolm Glazer bought the team. The Raiders will continue to play in the LA Coliseum until further notice.

Los Angeles Times
June 19, 1995

Last edited:
Where is Shaq playing at this point? I saw Penny Hardaway is on the Bullets.
Shaq is still in Orlando but without Penny Hardaway, he has had no success there. He is rumored to be traded or sign with a new team either this offseason or the next as I see him unhappy with no one to help him in Orlando. Scottie Pippen is another player who has had trade rumors being thrown around as with MJ in DC, the Bulls could be tearing down the team. This mean Dennis Rodman goes somewhere else and that, well you’ll see... :)

1995 NBA Expansion Draft and Draft Lottery.
Notable selections in the 1995 Expansion Draft
Toronto Raptors- Byron Scott (G), Greg Anthony (G)
Vancouver Grizzles- B.J. Armstrong (G), John Salley (F/C)

1995 NBA draft order

13. Minnesota Timberwolves

12. New Jersey Nets

11. Sacramento Kings

10. Dallas Mavericks

9. Milwaukee Bucks

8. Los Angeles Clippers

7. Detroit Pistons

6. Toronto Raptors

5. Philadelphia 76ers

4. Denver Nuggets

3. Miami Heat

2. Boston Celtics

1. Vancouver Grizzles

Top Prospects: Joe Smith, Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett and Damon Stoudamire

Notable selections in the 1995 Expansion Draft
Toronto Raptors- Byron Scott (G), Greg Anthony (G)
Vancouver Grizzles- B.J. Armstrong (G), John Salley (F/C)

1995 NBA draft order

13. Minnesota Timberwolves

12. New Jersey Nets

11. Sacramento Kings

10. Dallas Mavericks

9. Milwaukee Bucks

8. Los Angeles Clippers

7. Detroit Pistons

6. Toronto Raptors

5. Philadelphia 76ers

4. Denver Nuggets

3. Miami Heat

2. Boston Celtics

1. Vancouver Grizzles

Top Prospects: Joe Smith, Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett and Damon Stoudamire
I would love for the Heat to draft Garnett and then acquire Alonzo. Imagine that frontcourt.

1995 NBA Draft
David Stern: Good Evening and welcome to the 1995 NBA draft. The Vancouver Grizzles are on the clock

(A few moments later)

With the first pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Vancouver Grizzles select, Kevin Garnett. Forward from Farragut Academy High School

(Then)

With the second pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics select, Joe Smith. Forward from Maryland

(Later)

With the third pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Miami Heat select, Rasheed Wallace. Forward from North Carolina.

(Followed by)

With the fourth pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Denver Nuggets select, Jerry Stackhouse. Guard from North Carolina.

(You get the idea)

We have a trade to report. The Philadelphia 76ers have traded the fifth pick to the Chicago Bulls for Ron Harper

With the fifth pick in the 1995 NBA draft, the Chicago Bulls select, Damon Stoudamire. Guard from Arizona.

Other notable picks

Antonio McDyess goes to the Toronto Raptors with the sixth pick.

Theo Ratliff goes to the Sacramento Kings with the eleventh pick.

Michael Finely goes to the Orlando Magic with the ninetieth pick.

Yeah the North Stars got saved by an ownership group in Minnesota and will play in the Target Center in 1993-94 trough 1995-96 while the SPCC is renovated . Then they will play there until the Xcel Energy center is built in 2000. Texas still got hockey as the Houston Aeros were added instead of the Ducks ITTL. The T-Wolves will be staying in Minnesota BTW. I nearly moved them to St. Louis but a poll decided against it. The Nordiques and original Winnipeg Jets might not be so lucky though. I'm still undecided what to do with the Whalers however since that is still a handful of years away. For the Rams I have them staying in Anaheim and getting a new stadium in LA in 1999 near where SoFi stadium is IRL. As for the Raiders, you'll see...
The STPCC is on the site of the Xcel Energy Center. Kind of hard to do.