AH Novels to Avoid

Stars & Stripes In Peril
Stars & Stripes Triumphant

I felt the first one was mildly enjoyable Ameriwank but the second and third were ridiculous.

Oh-kay... :eek: I think I'll pass on that one. Sounds terrible and cartoonishly violent.

Speaking of which... Are there any good Native American-themed AH books ?

I know this is late, and I don't know about good, but years ago I owned a novel dealing with Native Americans fighting off a Nazi invasion of the United States through Mexico. I never got around to reading it so I can't say just how bad it is. :p

I know this is late, and I don't know about good, but years ago I owned a novel dealing with Native Americans fighting off a Nazi invasion of the United States through Mexico. I never got around to reading it so I can't say just how bad it is. :p

a long time ago, i was at Historum and a thread detailing almost exactly this came up as one of the "who would win?" scenarios in their speculative history subforum that were so popular at the time (this was before i ever even discovered AH.com). the difference was that it was about Imperial Germans invading the US via Mexico during WWI and coming under attack by some Navajo/Apache/other natives in the area (i think that part of the discussion was left deliberately vague)

I vaguely remember a novel with such a description. Since it was like twenty years ago, I can't recall its name.

I vaguely remember a novel with such a description. Since it was like twenty years ago, I can't recall its name.

Operation Shatterhand, by Jake Page. Who also wrote Apacheria, a novel of the independent Apache nation in the southwest US, established by a very wise Comanche leader.

Not particularly high quality and very fascinated with Native American tribes of the Southwest - IIRC Operation Shatterhand finished with someone telling FDR that they'd have to give up most of Arizona to the tribes who'd just beaten the Nazi invasion force.

Operation Shatterhand, by Jake Page. Who also wrote Apacheria, a novel of the independent Apache nation in the southwest US, established by a very wise Comanche leader.

Not particularly high quality and very fascinated with Native American tribes of the Southwest - IIRC Operation Shatterhand finished with someone telling FDR that they'd have to give up most of Arizona to the tribes who'd just beaten the Nazi invasion force.

Holy crap, that's the book! See, I figured if anyone knew what it was, it would be someone on here! :p

Has anyone read Britannia's Fist by Peter Tsouras? From what i've read about it it seems like TL-191 taken in a more plausible direction, but I'm not sure.

Stars & Stripes In Peril
Stars & Stripes Triumphant

I felt the first one was mildly enjoyable Ameriwank but the second and third were ridiculous.

from Stars and Stripes in Peril
Like iron jaws closing, the military might of a reunited United States was cleansing the continent of the invaders.

Like iron jaws cleaning, the writing of Harry Harrison bit through the last strands of my patience. Seriously, what does it say about us that a man who's been writing science fiction for about half a century feels he can get away with prose like that?

SPOILERS
X
Axis of Time
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
1) Ridiculous level of hyper Soviet-wank ending. The Soviets get a half destroyed ship with no crew, the Axis get one ship with a mostly dead or killed crew, while the Allies get most of a task force along with 20,000 plus 2021 Western military personnel. Yet the Allies are scarcely doing any better than OTL:mad:, and the Soviets wind up owning most of Europe in a blitzkrieg fashion. Showing a speed of conquest that would have made a 1960s-70s Soviet Army general drop dead from shock from the total ignorance Birmingham displayed for logistics.

The rail lines were perpendicular to the Soviet line of advance, with a different rail gauge, and the Sovs went through the Balkans, both sides of the Italian Alps, the heavy terrain of Southern France, all the way to the Bay of Biscay while the Allies were still fighting house-to-house in NW France.:rolleyes: And all in the space of a few weeks. No wonder the third book was rated the worst.

The USSR's accomplishments in terms of buildups explain the amount of forces contructed, not their mobility (not GM trucks and Studebaker locomotives, no Lend lease at all), not their degree of advancement. The Soviets, with no future surviving uptimers at all, manage to build as many nukes as the Allies do, with all of their uptimers available, happy and willing.

2) Enormous level of respect for the potential for slave labor over free labor. Nothing that free labor can accomplish can't be done better by slaves, and at a faster pace. Birmo might have wanted to read Albert Speer's memoirs about that little matter.

3) Love of senseless death. Especially "off camera". A bizarre love of killing off important characters with no story-telling purpose. Worse, doing so "in between" novels, rather than in story.

4) If the 21st century ships were scattered so "randomly", why didn't one go to Peru?:p

SPOILERS
X
Axis of Time
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
1) Ridiculous level of hyper Soviet-wank ending. The Soviets get a half destroyed ship with no crew, the Axis get one ship with a mostly dead or killed crew, while the Allies get most of a task force along with 20,000 plus 2021 Western military personnel. Yet the Allies are scarcely doing any better than OTL:mad:, and the Soviets wind up owning most of Europe in a blitzkrieg fashion. Showing a speed of conquest that would have made a 1960s-70s Soviet Army general drop dead from shock from the total ignorance Birmingham displayed for logistics.

The rail lines were perpendicular to the Soviet line of advance, with a different rail gauge, and the Sovs went through the Balkans, both sides of the Italian Alps, the heavy terrain of Southern France, all the way to the Bay of Biscay while the Allies were still fighting house-to-house in NW France.:rolleyes: And all in the space of a few weeks. No wonder the third book was rated the worst.

The USSR's accomplishments in terms of buildups explain the amount of forces contructed, not their mobility (not GM trucks and Studebaker locomotives, no Lend lease at all), not their degree of advancement. The Soviets, with no future surviving uptimers at all, manage to build as many nukes as the Allies do, with all of their uptimers available, happy and willing.

2) Enormous level of respect for the potential for slave labor over free labor. Nothing that free labor can accomplish can't be done better by slaves, and at a faster pace. Birmo might have wanted to read Albert Speer's memoirs about that little matter.

3) Love of senseless death. Especially "off camera". A bizarre love of killing off important characters with no story-telling purpose. Worse, doing so "in between" novels, rather than in story.

4) If the 21st century ships were scattered so "randomly", why didn't one go to Peru?:p

Also, what'd you think about how the 1940s US people wouldn't listen at all to the uptimers about how the Soviets could turn out bad? IIRC, at one point Yamamoto was willing to surrender the Yamato to the US but FDR wanted the Soviets to be able to take over Japan?