AH for your hometown!!

Well, my hometown of Vancouver could've won the Stanley Cup this year. Then all the fools from the booneys wouldn't have trashed our downtown. Well they would've probably anyway.

:(

My Hometown is Schoonebeek, a little place in the Northern Netherlands.

I want the Oil that was found near and underneath our villiage to make us rich:D, hopefully bringing the North in the picture with the folks down in Den Haag, so they wont ignore us or try to dump nuclear waste:D

(maybe even letting us to try dump Nuclear waste near thir homes, haha:p)

My home town ... where I was born, or where I grew up?

I was born in El Paso, Texas, situated right on the Mexican border at a gap in the mountain range and a major river crossing point. Originally named Franklin, after Benny, the name was changed after the Mexicans changed the name of its sister city from El Paso Del Norte to Ciudad Juarez in honor of their national hero.

During the Civil War it served as the base for Sibley's ill-fated attempt to conquer New Mexico; following the collapse of that effort the Union forces occupied it.

During the Mexican civil war (WW I era) the citizens had a front row seat when the Villistas drove the Federales out of Ciudad Juarez. Villa himself hid out in South El Paso for a time.

In the years immediately after WW II some of the US missile testing was done at Fort Bliss, just east of the city. Several of those tests went awry, including one which landed on a garbage dump in Ciudad Juarez. Imagine the repercussions if it had landed in the middle of downtown instead ...

Lots of interesting AH possibilities there ...

I grew up in Tucson, Arizona. In the beginning it was just a mission town, established to convert the local Indian tribe to Christianity, so they would be happy little peons for the hacendados. It survived because the Southern Pacific railroad was routed through there, and later because the Air Force established their aircraft junkyard west of the town.

It became US territory as part of the Gadsden Purchase in 1853. If you've ever wondered about the strange shape of southern Arizona, the story goes that the surveyors, who were supposed to lay out a boundary due west from the New Mexico border, paused for refreshment in a local cantina and, thoroughly plastered, resumed their surveying in the wrong direction. If they had continued to the west they would have ended up on the Gulf of California, thus giving Arizona a port on the Pacific.

Nowadays it's become a huge retirement community of upwards of half a million residents. The difficulty with that is that the local water supply is from a large acquifer underlying the valley, which is being steadily emptied. When that gives out there will be big trouble, California style; there is simply no other source available.

A few more AH possibilities there, as well.

Saratoga adapts to changing conditions on the 20th century, and manages to remain a major tourist city. It wouldn't rival Vegas, but it could easily take the place of Atlantic City as the gambling capital of the east coast. It'd end up being a lot bigger, and more focused on the gambling industry in general instead of horse racing in particular. It'd just require some changes to the New York State Racing and Wagering Board, making it more focused on regulating rather than making massive restrictions on the gambling industry.

Kosta

Banned
While I myself was born in Chicago, I could literally not possibly care less about it, so I'll choose my family's home-town of Marmari, a small town in Euboea (pronounced Évia).

*1204: The Euboeans tell the Crusaders that they can go fuck themselves and repel the heathen invaders.
*The true Emperor, Alexios V Doukas only briefly stays in Mosynopoli and makes his way to his loyal subjects in Euboea.
*The Emperor and his new wife, Angelina Evodokia, rally the natives of the island to build up the isle and fortify it to ward off the conniving Westerners. Halikida, Eretria, Karystos, Saint Constantine, and a city close to the mainland, Marmari, all nearly overnight became walled fortress-cities.
*The Emperor is accepted by his subjects who also fought off the marauding, bastardy Crusaders in Anatolia. He vows never to forget the island and what it did for him.
*Marmari undergoes an economic and population boom as refugees sick of Crusader rule flee to the island. Its population sky-rockets to 1.000 people.
*Unfortunately, in 1290, Venice besieges the southern part of the island, hellbent on its subjugation, and conquers all the cities south of Marmari by July. The Doukas Family, still in power in Nikaia, maintains their dead patriarch's vow and begins a campaign to knock out the Venetians from Greece, once and for all.
*Marmari is used a launch-pad for thousands of Roman soldiers with justice in their eyes and revenge in their hearts and is at the front-lines of the Reconquista.
*By 1313, the Venetians are cleared out of all of their non-Italian possessions. Cyprus, Crete, the Ionian Islands, Lesvos, Hios, Dyrrhachion and the rest of Venetian Ipiros, and southern Euboea are all retaken. Thousands of Greeks can rejoice that the hated and vile Papists have been forever cast out of their land and made their way to the hateful homeland with their tails between their legs. Unfortunately, however, in some areas the Venetians and the Crusader lackeys employed a scorched-earth policy and burned areas where they were cast out. Southern Euboea was one of them.
*Marmari was at the forefront for rebuilding lands reclaimed from the Italians and saw a temporary population-jump to 2.000. Its economy once again boomed.
*By 1315, however, many citizens of Marmari left to repopulate their old homelands. The population climbed back down to 700, many people born within the city.
*Life continues as usual in the city. Roman ships always dock within Marmari's port on their way to harass the cowardly Catholic Crusaders and by 1387 Marmari is the staging-point for the reconquest of Athena and the entire south of Greece.
*By 1400 Rome's European possessions are once again back in Roman hands. Many Marmarions gave their lives to see the Eagle firmly planted in Thrace, Macedonia, Ipiros, and Central Greece. After that, Rome focuses on fortifying its possessions in Anatolia and protecting itself from the Turkish hordes.
*Because Rome united earlier and could rally itself around a true emperor and thus had a massive morale-boost, the Ottomans could not press westward and instead pressed eastward, down into northern Syria and into Aleppo by 1400.
* Fast-forward to 1415 and the Romans and Ottomans have a gentleman's agreement: the Romans shall go no further than the Great Salt Lake and the Ottomans shall do likewise. Trebizond, however, is not part of the agreement and only comes back into the Roman fold when it becomes evident that the Ottomans can and will take the coastal strip-of-land if they can.
*After 1415 when Roman power is once again consolidated, Marmari returns to a sleepy town who does more business in being a port-town than any economic ordeal.
*Fast-forward again to the early 1800s and two families of rich merchants from Smyrna set up shop in the town and begin the town's silk industry. Marmari once again is reinvigorated economically-speaking and even gets a boost in population from workers seeking to earn an honest living in the silk-weaving factory. It is in Marmari that the power-loom makes its way into Romania and into the East. The Ottomans try a similar venture in their capital, Halep (Aleppo) and it is there that the power-loom is seen in the east.
*By 2011 Marmari is city of 50.000 and its principal sources of income is simply the service sector, although quite a bit of cloth is still produced there which then makes its way to one of the fashion capitals of the world, Constantinople. Adding to its population were the cities absorbed into Marmari-proper, Karystos and Saint Constantine.
*It should be noted that in 1911 the city of Massaoua in colony of Erythraía was renamed New Marmari. Today New Marmari is part of the overseas province of Hamasien.

Last edited:

KCammy

Banned
It's not actually that hard for Dunfermline.

The Norwegians recapture Fife.

Over time, a settlment across the Forth from Edinburgh becomes a major base for the Norwegians, who establish a lasting kingdom on the east-coast of Scotland.

Just a little, though cliched idea, which I may flesh out.

Well where I live, right between Millstone and Hightstown, is rich with history. So here is the alternative history.

1778: George Washington falls off his horse. He falss unconcious into Lake Assumpink where he drowns. Benedict Arnold is made leader of the Continental Army. He defeats the British military and goes on to becom the first president of the United States.

1864: The Hightstown Female society does not assimilate with the First Baptist Church of Hightstown. Instead the assimilate with the First Lutheran Church of Hightstown. A local prep school that the society wantedd to found isn't created for another three tears than OTL befcause of the FTLH's lack of money.

1870: The Hightstown Prepratory academy is founded. The school is for men only.

1871: Thomas B. Peddie (R-NJ) donates a large some to the Hightstown Prepratory academy. The prep school dumps most of this money into its sports team. Yet does keep the promise they made to the man. Every year about ten children who are of high intelect get scholarships to the school.

1904: The Hightstown Prepratory academy beats their rival, Blair, for the first time scince the rivalry started in 1893.

1908: Theodore Roosevelt is mauled by a bear while hunting on one of his countryside vacations in Millstone.

1915: A racetrack is built in Millstone. The horse becomes the official animal of the town.

1918: The Hightstown Prepratory Academy won state. They defeated another rival, Larwenceville prep 24-23.

1921: The Millstone Township Racetrack becomes the most popular in all of the state. It is now home to the New Jersey state racing championship.

1924: The Hightstown Prepratory Academy won an academic competition between all the Prep schools in the state.

1933: The HPA won the state football championship. 17-10.

1936: Larry Kelly, a member of the 33' team wins the Heisman trophy.

1944: A suburban plan for Millstone is rejected. The township remains rural.

1957: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is killed in a car accident after reciting a speech in the HPA.

1960: Laura Shelly becomes the first female and Democratic mayor of Millstone.

1967: Gambling is made illegal. The once thriving Millstone racetrack now becomes a ghost town. It is only used once a year for the New Jersey state horse racing championship. The championship is moved to Newark in 1978.

1970: Female students are admitted into the HPA.

1971: Student protests start in the HPA. when police arive, it turns into a riot. After some students throw rocks at the riot police, the police open fire. Three students are killed.

1973: The HPA wins another state football championship. 21-17.

1974: A HPA soccer team is founded.

1981: On the tenth aniversity of the HPA tradgedy, some students start protesting police brutality. The protests turn into rioting. Some students set a school building on fire, injuring 12. Police arive and arrest 40 students. A curfew is installed in the school.

2000: The HPA soccer team wins state. 4-3.

2010: Gambling is made legal again. Millstone explodes with reactivity. It again becomes the largest raceway in New Jersey. The state championship is moved back to Millstone in 2011.

Note: The first one isn't ASB. It actualy almost happened in my small town.