[AH Fiction] 75 Years of Driveball (1950-2025)

A lot of variation in scoring, I notice. Brooklyn wins with 55 points and Chicago loses with 139.

I suppose it’s no different from an NFL team winning 13-10 one week and losing 48-41 the following week, but you really notice the variance when there’s that many points being scored.
Or losing 3 - 0, then winning 63 - 21 the very next week...

1950 DANA Regular Season Standings
1950 DANA Regular Season Standings

Trade Deadline

The trade deadline for 1950 was virtually quiet with most teams electing to wait until the fall and winter to make any significant roster moves.

After the Grand Final, the players will convene at a later date to unionize.

Standings
Eastern Division
TeamWinsLosses
Brooklyn Coasters113
Buffalo Lakers77
Philadelphia Spirits68
Providence Steamrollers410
New York Marvels113

Western Division
TeamWinsLosses
Des Moines Haymakers122
St. Louis Showboats122
Chicago Gaels95
Cleveland Mad Hatters59
Detroit Roadsters311

Playoffs
June 10, 1950
Western Division Tiebreaker

St. Louis Showboats at Des Moines Haymakers

Consolation Game
June 17, 1950

Buffalo Lakers at Chicago Gaels
At Soldier Field

1950 DANA Grand Final [1]
June 24, 1950

Brooklyn Coasters at Winner of STL/DSM

[1] Retroactively referred to as Grand Final I.

Last edited:
I‘d have the Consolation Game after the Grand Final, would have more suspense for the big game.

Yes. The consolation game will indeed be the weekend after the Grand Final.

It'll likely be another five or ten years before the DANA holds an All Star Game which could supplant the consolation game if necessary.

Yes. The consolation game will indeed be the weekend after the Grand Final.

It'll likely be another five or ten years before the DANA holds an All Star Game which could supplant the consolation game if necessary.
Sorry I meant before the Grand Final

1950 Playoffs
June 10, 1950
West Tiebreaker
Drake Stadium
Des Moines, Iowa

TeamGoalsOversBehindsTotal Points
St. Louis Showboats12 (72)4 (12)8 (8)92
Des Moines Haymakers9 (54)7 (21)16 (16)91

Nile Kinnick and the Haymakers gave it all they had, but lost by a single point.

With the Haymakers leading 91 to 89 with only seconds to play, Ted Vardalos kicked the winning over for the Showboats.

Consolation Game
June 17, 1950
Soldier Field
Chicago, Illinois

TeamGoalsOversBehindsTotal Points
Buffalo Lakers13 (78)17 (51)24 (24)153
Chicago Gaels15 (90)12 (36)13 (13)139

The Lakers used the Consolation Game to assess the foundation on which they vow to build on for 1951.

Stay tuned for the 1950 Grand Final, which will be held at Sportsman's Park.

Notes
Because of the baseball schedule with the Browns and Cardinals still sharing the park during this time period, the Grand Final will be held in primetime on June 26. That will be on a Monday night when there is no home game for either MLB team at Sportsman's Park.​

Shame for the Haymakers; intrigued to see what the grand final will be like under the lights in prime time.

Shame for the Haymakers; intrigued to see what the grand final will be like under the lights in prime time.

The diehards who've followed the Showboats all year will be eager to catch the old streetcars after work to flock to the Grand Final. That's for sure.

To modern eyes, it'll likely be a bare bones Grand Final with the field design being mostly plain with the baseball dirt underneath. Future Grand Finals should be able to have fields all decked out Super Bowl style, but that'll take maybe 15 or 20 years after this one.

@OldNavy1988 ive seen your old driveball thread, and i wonder if you would name the two conferences in DANA as Continental and National (even if theres west and east already), and the new playoff name, like wildcard, divisional championship, conference championship, and the final game (frosty mugs)?

@OldNavy1988 ive seen your old driveball thread, and i wonder if you would name the two conferences in DANA as Continental and National (even if theres west and east already), and the new playoff name, like wildcard, divisional championship, conference championship, and the final game (frosty mugs)?

Right now, the DANA is still in a primordial stage of its evolution. This year, the league doesn't really have a proper logo. But one could be retroactively adopted kinda like how the first few Super Bowls IOTL didn't have proper logos till years later.

The championship game will likely still be called the Grand Final while I try to figure out what I want the trophy to look like.

As far as conference names, I have a few ideas:
Montague/Capulet (Just to throw out there for an NHL-style Campbell/Wales aesthetic)
American/National
Freedom/Liberty
All-American/United States
United/Federal

The alignment of that conference style will of course depend on how the DANA evolves and how it deals with the inevitable rival leagues.

Rival leagues will likely wait till Dennis Murphy and Gary Davidson get the ABA and WHA off the ground. Or if OTL spring football pioneer David Dixon starts a rival league around the Sixties.

By the way, before we get to the 1950 Grand Final, I'd like to point out you guys can submit multiple prospects for the upcoming draft.

The two that I've currently received will likely be selected at the top of the order.

Here's the order for the first round of the 1950-51 Offseason Draft.
1) Detroit
2) NY Marvels
3) Providence
4) Cleveland
5) Philadelphia
6) Buffalo
7) Chicago
8) Brooklyn
9) St. Louis
10) Des Moines