AH challenge: Osman II waters his horses in the Baltic

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that it would be ridiculous for the Sultan to water his horses in the Baltic, seeing as the water is salty. :)

Yes, washing their boots would make more sense. Although not that much, salt can damage leather. :D

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that it would be ridiculous for the Sultan to water his horses in the Baltic, seeing as the water is salty. :)

Anthony Appleyard did. The Mediterranean and Black Seas are salty too, so I'm sure he realized it. It was just a figure of speech. He knew that seawater is salty, and he knew which country he was supposed to attack (the kid was no Dubya).

How easy would it be to actually remove a Sultan? I was under the impression they were considered "the Shadow of God" and the only entities willing to challenge a sultan were the Janissary Corps, who I don't think had gotten so political/obnoxious at this point.

Those Cossacks were Polish vassals, so the idea is to punish the Poles for allowing the Cossacks to raid Varna.
In that time Cossacks raiding Ottoman territories and Tatars raiding Polish territories were main reason tensions and hostilities among Ottomans and Poland.