AH CHALLENGE: Move the US Capital West

W/a POD after the American Civil War, develop a plausable scenario where the U. S. national capital is moved west to Chicago, St. Louis or someplace more toward the center of the westward expanding nation.

Thande

Donor
The Most Original What If Ever could do it, I suppose, if Washington was within artillery range of the border.

HueyLong

Banned
I think the OP meant a POD after the OTL resolution of the Civil War, guys.....

I could see a more successful Populist movement achieving this, especially if they and the Progressives' dreams of a new constitutional convention pulled through..... Chicago would especially ahve merit there.

Thande

Donor
I think the OP meant a POD after the OTL resolution of the Civil War, guys.....

Oh sorry, missed that.

That makes it rather harder. Only thing I can think of is a Turtledove type scenario where Washington gets somehow nuked/other wiped-off-the-map disaster and the temporary inland capital becomes the permanent one. Still seems pretty unlikely, though.

Short of a coup or a nuclear war, I'm not sure what else could cause them to move the capital of the US anywhere farther west.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, there is no real precedent for moving a capital outside of war or a coup.

The canary Islands fall into the sea and the whole East Coast is obliterated.

Bit drastic though.

HueyLong

Banned
Short of a coup or a nuclear war, I'm not sure what else could cause them to move the capital of the US anywhere farther west.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, there is no real precedent for moving a capital outside of war or a coup.

Nigeria and Brazil, IIRC.

How about a particularly nasty epidemic (that stretch of the Potomac is a swamp) which kills off a large number of elected officials? The survivors decide to find another place for the seat of government, and figure why not look for someplace more centralized in the expanded territory?

How about a particularly nasty epidemic (that stretch of the Potomac is a swamp) which kills off a large number of elected officials? The survivors decide to find another place for the seat of government, and figure why not look for someplace more centralized in the expanded territory?

Then why don't they just fill in the swamps or drain them as they did historically? I think one would have to figure out a reason to abandon an already set and established infrastructure also.

Global warming. The entire District of Columbia is dismantled and reassembled along the Mississippi. Tech level in this TL is significantly higher, and they have produced more greenhouse gases.

Have a World War III and a nuke on Washington DC.
In the end, there is no alternative to moving the capital inland. May it be St. Louis or Denver. Boswash and Rust Belt would have been the primary targets and when they lose their superiority abruptly, the newly ascending periphery would have the most of a say about where the capitol is to go.

BTW, after Poland gained its post-WWII borders, there were serious talks among the PZPR to move the capital from Warsaw to Lodz to have it in the center of the new borders. But the chief somehow rejected that.

maybe that atlantic volcano island collapses in the 1890s, floods the east coast of the US. in response, the Government moves west to escape the flood, past the Appalachians to where it's high and dry.

Easy
1] if Post ACW- Confeds won, and The US moves the Capital away from the Border.

2] 1911 free trade agreement with Canada goes thru, US/ Canada merge in 1930's, Capital moved as part of Merger.

3] US Allies with the CP in WW1, takes Canada, The USC, needs anew Capital for the New Nation.

Easy
1] if Post ACW- Confeds won, and The US moves the Capital away from the Border.

2] 1911 free trade agreement with Canada goes thru, US/ Canada merge in 1930's, Capital moved as part of Merger.

3] US Allies with the CP in WW1, takes Canada, The USC, needs anew Capital for the New Nation.

1) the confederates can't win in a POD after the war is over

2) wouldn't the US be the stronger party in a merger like that, and so Canada would be the one being annexed?

3) why would the US move their capital into occupied territory? :confused:

have Asia become a lot more important than Europe to the US? Otherwise, there's not much reason to move the capital... it's conveniently near the coast for all those European dignitaries to get to... especially in the pre-automobile and highway days.