AH Challenge: Kievan Rus dominates Russia

Zioneer

Banned
Hello, all.

I would like to see if it is possible for the Kievan Rus to dominate Russia, instead of Muscovy. Thus, I issue this challenge.

Bonus points if you can ensure that Russia is still fractured after you have Kiev as the most powerful contender. Also bonus points if you can establish a major Muslim Turkic power as the primary rival of the Kievan Rus.

Er, okay.

Here's a really early PoD - Khazars remain intact, Pechenegs stay east of the Volga, Kiphacks ditto. Migration of people away from the steppe and into the forest to avoid the latter groups is what made Vladimir region the new centre of the Russian civilization.

Muslim Volga Bulgaria already exists.

Rus inheritance patterns are great for creating internecine warfare, so splintering occurs on schedule, except perhaps the Rus also control a lot more of what is now Moldova and maybe Poland and maybe the Baltics.

In the end, Khazars are brought down by the Mongols or their narrative equivalent, together with the Bulgars and the Rus. The Bulgars and the Rus recover, the Khazars do not.

However, Kiev's environs are now too populated to go waste like OTL, so Kiev remains dominant over Vladimir or Halych or Polotsk nonetheless. The Bulgars/Tatars take control of the lower Volga.

There you have it, Kiev still most powerful Rus entity, Muslim Turcic main rival.

Old Airman

Banned
Make Ivan the Terrible a PLC king (the talks progressed a lot IOTL). He smashes Tartars (doable if you combine Russian, Polish and Lithuanian forces) and restores Kiev to it's former glory of Slavic Capital.

P.S. But I do like RGB's scenario more...