AH Challenge: Byzantine Republic

Hapsburg

Banned
Even if Byzantine Empire stands until 17th-19th centuries it wouldnt have been what it was in the past... It might have been evolved to a loose confederation of states (Kings, Dukes, Archbishops etc.) under an Emperor-elect... Just like the HRE at the time of its dissolution... BUT IN NO WAY A REPUBLIC!!
One could say that such a system of government is a republic. A Noble's Republic.

ASBs?

A POD so far back, that everything else around it is unrecognizable?

The campaign one emperor (I forget who...) was planning against the Kingdom of Italy succeeds, and there is a massive Greek migration there when increasing attacks from the east and across the Danube destroy Constantinople and the Imperial family...

They set up some kind of body where each group of people sends a representative to elect a new Emperor?

Could be like Turkey: a young Greeks revolution takes place and topples the innefficient Emperor and his family.

And would probably replace him with an Anatolian noble. Wasn't their bids for power the reason the Komnenoi didn't try to reconquer the Turkish plateau?

hapsburg said:
One could say that such a system of government is a republic. A Noble's Republic.

More like an electoral monarchy

Byzantine Empire was kinda of an elective Monarchy in some cases till the 13th century... Emperors died or deposed and the army elected an officer from amongst their ranks to fill the power vacuum...

Simple just have Andronicos Kommenos reforms get passd and he succesfully checks the Nobles power, have the people grow fed up with his terror state and see a revolt, Andronicos concedes and he is soon forced to draft a bill of rights for his people, Senate regains power and is run by the will of the People while Andronicos and his succesors become emperors with Executive powers. So you have a Byzantine republic...:):):):) Srry I meant a constitutional monarchy.

the Byzantines adopt a Venice-style republic.

Venice was a merchantile republic, so i don't think we could see a Doge instead of an Emperor.

Sincerely, i also agreed about a possible republic in an alternative Byzantium and after 1800...