AH challenge: all great powers liberal democracies

With a POD after 1901, have all the great powers of the world exist as liberal democracies by the present day. These may or may not be the current great powers - for instance, the list could include Austria-Hungary or something - but each country considered a great power at that time must have a fully-democratic government with wholly free-and-fair elections, minimal vote rigging and freedom of speech/assembly/etc. Monarchies can qualify, but any monarchial head of state must exist as a virtually-poweless figurehead.

Can a democratic homosexual nudist nation count? Oh wait, never mind- we already have that as Massachusetts.

It seems pretty hard with a POD after 1901... maybe a Communist Russia never took hold in a revolution, and the US became a lot less conservative as there was no need for an anti-Communist stance, but still a world power as a result of WW2.

Thus, the more devastated powers of post-WW2 (China never became Communist, keep in mind) looked up to a more liberal America.

Even so, that's helluva far stretch.

I think that the defeat of the Bolshevik coup in 1917 is essential for this to happen. I suspect that it would still have been hard to make Russia a Democracy.

I think that the defeat of the Bolshevik coup in 1917 is essential for this to happen. I suspect that it would still have been hard to make Russia a Democracy.
I suspect a Russian Empire in WW2 would have heavy losses. Russia pre-Communism was quite friendly with the US, so a devastated, weakened Russia might look up to a prosperous, democratic ally after 1945.

Impossible without eliminating the Bolsheviks.

An earlier POD could lead to Tsar Alexander II creating a more Liberal Russia in the 1890s.

Okay, so the key is to eliminate the Bolshevik movement.

So, second question - what would be the effects of having a geopolitical situation where none of the great powers are dictatorships?

I don't think it is as hard as you seem to think. Even if it is, there is almost a full century between 1917 and the present day. Plenty of time for Russia to develop and democratize.

I suspect a Russian Empire in WW2 would have heavy losses. Russia pre-Communism was quite friendly with the US, so a devastated, weakened Russia might look up to a prosperous, democratic ally after 1945.

What makes you think there would be a WW2 with a Russian Empire still in existence?

:rolleyes:

Communism =/= Always Undemocratic.

Carry on.

Bolshevism = Always Undemocratic.