AH Challenge: A-H dissolves peacefully in the late 20th century

Basically, your challenge is to cook-up a scenario in which Austria-Hungary survives up until the 80s or 90s, whereupon it is to dissolve into several independent states as bloodlessly as possible.

World War I is staved off perilous year by perilous year, until the Germans decide they've missed their chance to defeat the Russians fast enough, and social democratic parties gain enough influence across Europe to restrain the enthusiasm for war. The Empire survives Franz-Ferdinand's reforms into some from of Imperial Daubian Federation, but by the '60s and 70s Hungarian speratist parties (in the style of SNP in the UK) have grown strong, and after a series of failed referendums Hungary finally votes for independence the '80s.

well, A-H was one massive Yugoslavia if you ask me. Too many minorities clamouring for autonomy/independence. As well as that, a failing economy and falling back behind other powers such as the USA, Britain, Germany, Russia and Japan.

Actually the only way I can see Austro-Hungary really dissolving peacefully is if it transformed itself into something resembling the European Union.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Actually, Franz Ferdinand was quite partial to the idea of the United States of Greater Austria and had actually planned to implement many of those reforms. If he'd managed to succeed to the throne, we could see a lasting Austria-Hungary. Though, were it to break apart, Franz Ferdinand's plans and reforms would have made it much, much easier and far less bloody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Greater_Austria

Germaniac

Donor
Throwing out the whole United States of Austria Idea, which i think is rubbish and the Hungarians would absolutely never agree to (It gave Ethnic Germans even greater control) I think a Triple Monarchy of Austro-Hungarian-Croatia could work. While the Magyars would be very much displeased it could work.