"Agreement of the People" - A Leveller TL

August
- New Model Army takes over the City of London from its Presbyterian opponents, the Levellers proceeded to set their headquarters up in Putney.

October
28th - The 'Grandees' and Levellers meet in the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Putney to debate the political future of England.

November

5th - Both Henry Ireton and Oliver Cromwell are both stricken with malaria, a horrible illness. Their states deteriorate rapidly and by the 7th Ireton has died. The news of this from Cromwell's daughter (whom was Ireton's wife) drives Cromwell deeper into his illness. However he attempts to survive, though he can't help but become more ill with grief.

8th - Both of the 'Grandees' are dead, and now it seems the political cause of the Parliamentarians is lost. However the decisive movements and actions taken by the Leveller leaders now will in future be praised as the best course of action. Colonel Edward Sexby, Colonel Thomas Rainsborough, Major William Rainborowe and Colonel Thomas Rawton all moved rapidly and sent messengers all around the New Model Army explaining the situation, they also requested all men loyal to the 'Good Old Cause' rally together and to not simply crumble into anarchy. Also to deal with potential political implications the Levellers draw their views together, release John Lilburne from prison and set up their headquarters again.

14th - Most army units in the New Model Army have pledged their support for the Levellers whom are now effectively in control of the Army for the time being. However to cement their control over the army they contact Fairfax to request his allegiance to their cause.

18th - Fairfax finally pledges his allegiance to the Parliamentarians though not the Levellers as he doesn't wish to become a political figure, however by this time King Charles I has contacted the Scots in order to request their allegiance against the now weakened Parliamentarians, also Royalist uprisings begin to occur around England as small pockets of Royalists start to revolt in the major towns of England. Also the Scots armies mass on the English border.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

A Brief History of the English Civil Wars: J. Miller

Second Civil War

Not long after the Leveller take-over of the army Royalist rebels began to spring up around England again, while in Scotland an army was being prepared in support of King Charles I whom had made a deal with the Scots...

At the beginning of the Second English Civil War the Parliamentarian forces were quite chaotic as two of the best generals had died within days of each other in a time of instability anyway. However the actions taken by the more powerful Levellers, Thomas Fairfax and the various army generals meant that the New Model Army didn't fall apart, the men had been taught well and were good at obeying orders...

This war was much shorter than the First, however both sides would still take numerous casualties. For example in the Battle of Bradford the Scots under the Duke of Hamilton faced off against an army led by Thomas Rainsborough. The two sides fought vigorously for a whole day until finally the Parliamentarians won the day, with the Duke of Hamilton being captured...

Finally in July 1648 the Scots army retreated back across the border and all major Royalist rebellions had been put down. During this war the Leveller commanders had in fact shown very good tactical and strategic abilities alongside Fairfax. Thomas Rainsborough was even promoted to General by Parliament...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

July - Parliament yet again wins a Civil War against the Royalists and this time the Scots. However the New Model Army now practically controlled politically by the Levellers is unsure as to what the fate of King Charles I should be. Many in the army in fact call for him to be put on trial, and the Leveller leaders swing heavily towards the idea of a Republican England.

August - King Charles I is finally put on trial for "high treason", he is found guilty and is beheaded outside Whitehall Palace. Many believe the trial to have simply been a front and that whatever happened Charles I was to die somehow.

September - The "Leveled Parliament" comes about, with members who may disagree with the Levellers not being allowed into the Commons. The amount of MPs in Parliament are few now and into the double-digits.

October - The "Agreement of the People" is written up by the Levellers. It includes sections on complete religious freedom for non-Catholics, all self-sustained males over the age of 21 should be able to vote/take part in politics, in the "eyes of the law" everyone is equal (including women) and lastly a new Parliament is to be elected biannually.

Last edited:
I wonder what the European continent will think of the new liberal Britain.

I assume that the Diggers will surface along with Monarchists and Slavery will be banned:D:D:D

Still my only criticism's with your TL's is that you never end them but I can digress.

I wonder what the European continent will think of the new liberal Britain.

I assume that the Diggers will surface along with Monarchists and Slavery will be banned:D:D:D

Still my only criticism's with your TL's is that you never end them but I can digress.
It's not too liberal, I mean Catholicism is still illegal, anyone who depends on another man for their wealth (i.e. servants) and women won't be able to take part politically. But yes, there will be interesting reactions in Europe and the Colonies.

The Diggers will pick up some support now, however it won't be hugely significant. Also the Royalists will be kept on a tight leash as well.

And yeah, well it's that my mind wanders or I run out of decent ideas. mostly my mind wanders though.

TheNordicBrit

Do you mean by "This war lasted much longer than the First did" that it was much shorter? Like the OTL 2nd war it only lasted about a year.

What is happening in Scotland after this war? OTL they linked up with Charles II to launch a new attack which ultimately ended up with the English occupation of Scotland. Might this time some agreement be made between the two kingdoms to avoid further conflict or will the Scottish Kirk be too determined to expand power?

Could be interesting times. Initially not too great a difference, from the outside anyway, to OTL. The king has been executed for treason [rightly in my opinion;)] and the country is moving towards a republic. I presume there will still be an intervention in Ireland to end the conflict there and the threat it posed to the republic.

That is one area where things could get distinctly nastier than OTL. With a Leveller led Parliament there could be a rejection of the debts claimed by various lenders that OTL led to them ending up as major landowners. [Especially since the loans in question were made nearly a decade before to Charles, to put down the revolt against him]. Instead you might get some implementation of the Connaught plan, so that instead of landowners attempts are made to deport the entire population and replace them with 'good English Protestants'.

How do the Levellers and other feel about the other great [albeit very mercantile] republic in the Netherlands? Politically and possibly religious a potential ally but economically the great rival. That could be the key relationship in the short term.

Steve

In 1649 to St. George's Hill A Ragged band of...

Digger's came to show the people's will, they defied the landlords, they defied the laws, they were the disposed reclaiming what WAS THEIRS. HURRAH!

TheNordicBrit

Do you mean by "This war lasted much longer than the First did" that it was much shorter? Like the OTL 2nd war it only lasted about a year.

What is happening in Scotland after this war? OTL they linked up with Charles II to launch a new attack which ultimately ended up with the English occupation of Scotland. Might this time some agreement be made between the two kingdoms to avoid further conflict or will the Scottish Kirk be too determined to expand power?

Could be interesting times. Initially not too great a difference, from the outside anyway, to OTL. The king has been executed for treason [rightly in my opinion;)] and the country is moving towards a republic. I presume there will still be an intervention in Ireland to end the conflict there and the threat it posed to the republic.

That is one area where things could get distinctly nastier than OTL. With a Leveller led Parliament there could be a rejection of the debts claimed by various lenders that OTL led to them ending up as major landowners. [Especially since the loans in question were made nearly a decade before to Charles, to put down the revolt against him]. Instead you might get some implementation of the Connaught plan, so that instead of landowners attempts are made to deport the entire population and replace them with 'good English Protestants'.

How do the Levellers and other feel about the other great [albeit very mercantile] republic in the Netherlands? Politically and possibly religious a potential ally but economically the great rival. That could be the key relationship in the short term.

Steve
I did yes, thanks for pointing that out I shall change it.

Scotland will be included in the next update.

And for now you're quite right, the dust needs to settle still. And yes there will still be a military intervention in Ireland here. So not hugely different at first.

I haven't heard of the Connaught plan, could you tell me a little more about it?

I'm not sure about individuals in the Leveller movement, however they will be more pro-Republican Dutch politicians, and anti-Orangist.

October - The Scottish Parliament debates on whether or not they'll declare Prince Charles as King Charles II of Scotland.

November - Under heavy influence from the Kirk the Parliament does in fact declare Prince Charles as King Charles II of Scotland. While in England the 'Leveller Parliament' votes on the 'Agreement of the People' and whether it should be brought into effect. This passes easily with a radical Parliament now. Not long after this is passed the New Model Army is again mobilized northwards, with Fairfax yet again taking the lead of the army.

December - The Scottish forces manage to somehow avoid the English troops to such a degree that they begin to siege York. The city holds out against the Scots however, at which point a section of the New Model Army makes its way to York. In the ensuing battle Colonel Edward Sexby shows great tactical abilities and resolve as he managed to hold his army together and wins the day (much like Cromwell at Marston Moor). The Scots forces abandon the siege for that day and are pushed back slightly.

January - The Scots forces manage to win a victory at the Battle of Newcastle, pushing back English troops from the Scots border.

February - However the NMA manages to score a defining victory at the Battle of Dumfries, in which both Thomas Fairfax and Thomas Rainsborough utterly destroyed the main body of the Scots army whom had been pushed back to Dumfries where they stood their ground and fought back. In the battle 'Charles II' is severely injured, in the near future this injury will mean his left arm is amputated. Alongside this in the Siege of Carlisle Scots forces were again defeated by the NMA under Colonel Thomas Rawton. Though in this battle Prince James (second son of King Charles I) was killed by a stray bullet.

March - While Charles II lost an arm through this Civil War, he wasn't willing to give up. After several more battles however the Scots had been beaten back to just beyond the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway. However the armies are now at a stand-still. Neither side is making territorial headway against the other and only minor skirmishes are occurring.

April - The Scottish Parliament secretly goes behind the back of Charles II and begin talks with the 'Leveller Parliament'. The eventual Treaty of Newcastle was created, the main points of this Treaty were a) Peace between the Kingdoms of Scotland and England, b) Further discussions will be held between the Kingdoms as to the future of the Monarchy in each nation, c) control over the Scottish Borders and Dumfries and Galloway is jointly under England and Scotland, d) the Scottish government wouldn't help the Irish rebels in any way and lastly e) Charles II would be captured and imprisoned in Dumfries and thus under technical joint control of England and Scotland.

May - Within the 'Leveller Parliament' the members reach an agreement on what should happen in England with concerns to the future of the Monarchy. They agree that England should become a Republic. At the same time in Scotland they debate the future their own Kingdoms monarchy, it is agreed that 'Charles II' certainly cannot stay as the Scots monarch as he began another Civil War with the English that ended in a stalemate. It's also argued that a female shouldn't take the crown either, and thus there's one Stewart option left. In the 'York Debates' both sides put their arguments forward, and by the end of May they've reached an agreement. England and Scotland would end their personal-union, Scotland would keep the Monarchy with the young Henry Stuart, Duke of Gloucester being made King Henry I of Scotland. While England would become a Republic, alongside the Kingdom of Ireland. The head of state would be the 'Lord President'. Lastly the two sides agreed to a kind of non-aggression pact that would last until Henry I came of age.

TheNordicBrit

Well events are going to make a Stuart restoration more difficult now in England. The peace between England and Scotland means that the English parliament doesn't have the burden of garrisoning the latter. There will still be some mistrust and border garrisons but that was a fairly substantial burden that is now largely removed so England should be better off financially.

Also the fact that Scotland maintains a Stuart king, but has rejected Charles, coupled with James'es death means that the dynasty is split. Depending on how much of a king - as opposed to possibly just a puppet? - Henry must to some degree stand in opposition to his brother, who can't really claim the throne of England, against the republic, without also undermining his brother's legitimacy to the Scot's throne.

In Ireland I'm not sure whether the bulk of the Ulster settlements had occurred yet, as they came mainly from Scotland, unlike the English Pale around Dublin. If not would this still occur?

In terms of Connaught I tried looking up on Wiki to refresh my memory but couldn't really find anything yet. What basically happened is that many/most of the Catholic landowners were deported to Connaught, which was the former kingdom in the west of Ireland. Even there I think the land along the coast was formally reserved for Protestant landlords. [Probably to try and secure control and make intervention from overseas more difficult]. In part this was to secure control and prevent further rebellions. Also there was the case that several rich financiers had made large loans to Charles I to help him raise forces to defeat the initial Irish rebellions starting ~1641. OTL they presented their claims for repayment to Parliament and were given large estates in Ireland from amongst the seized estates. [Not sure whether this was in liu of payment or the intention from the beginning].

TTL a Leveller dominated England may be less friendly toward such wealthy grandees presenting claims for debts incurred by the previous, now deposed and executed monarch. I was unclear why this was done OTL unless it was a wish of Cromwell and others who, having decided against the more egalitarian elements such as the Levellers wished to win over such powerful people and their equivalents. [One problem for England in TTL, if the wealthy feel insecure many may seek to leave the country. Since most wealth is still overwhelmingly in land this is not a great problem economically, but it could mean both some social disruption and the loss of a number of the great merchant trades, especially from London, you have more mobile wealth plus the loss of their expertise].

If the debtors claims are rejected, as I said previous this could be bad for the ordinary Irish. Instead of a top layer of landowners Parliament might seek to secure control by encouraging more mass settlement from England. Possibly even something like the old Roman system of veterans colonies. In that case instead of Irish landowners being sent west it could be the entire population in some areas. Not sure how many English [and possibly Scots] might be available but you could see a significant movement, possibly markedly reducing that which goes to the American and Caribbean colonies. You might also in this case see some level of conversion, especially possibly from the 'old English' settlers of the Pale, seeking to avoid such deportations.

Hope that helps. If I get the chance and find out more I will let you know.

Steve

Unless Henry of Scotland decides to reclaim England and/or fails to do so.
The development of King Henry I as a King will be full of heavy Protestant and (Scottish) Parliamentarian influence, however one point I must say about is that IOTL Prince Henry was supposedly an excellent soldier. Make of this what you will, it may not be quite what you expect.
Well events are going to make a Stuart restoration more difficult now in England. The peace between England and Scotland means that the English parliament doesn't have the burden of garrisoning the latter. There will still be some mistrust and border garrisons but that was a fairly substantial burden that is now largely removed so England should be better off financially.
Most certainly, the Stewart's will attempt to get England, Scotland and Ireland back (not the Scots Stewart's, the claimant Stewart's) but they shan't succeed.
Also the fact that Scotland maintains a Stuart king, but has rejected Charles, coupled with James'es death means that the dynasty is split. Depending on how much of a king - as opposed to possibly just a puppet? - Henry must to some degree stand in opposition to his brother, who can't really claim the throne of England, against the republic, without also undermining his brother's legitimacy to the Scot's throne.
Yes, that was part of the thinking of the Levellers when they accepted Scotland having a Stewart as a King, alongside the fact they hadn't managed to fully take Scotland. Also on Henry I as I said above, he'll be brought up to accept some form of Parliament rule and Presbyterianism. However he will be a good leader in a military-sense.
In Ireland I'm not sure whether the bulk of the Ulster settlements had occurred yet, as they came mainly from Scotland, unlike the English Pale around Dublin. If not would this still occur?
This is lifted straight from Wikipedia: "Another wave of Scottish immigration to Ulster took place in the 1690s, when tens of thousands of Scots fled a famine (1696–1698) in the border region of Scotland. It was at this point that Scottish Presbyterians became the majority community in the province. Whereas in the 1660s, they made up some 20% of Ulster's population (though 60% of its' British population) by 1720 they were an absolute majority in Ulster." Thus it would seem the Scottish are the main settlers in Ulster, however they aren't a majority. And English settlers will be making biggish appearances in Ireland.
In terms of Connaught I tried looking up on Wiki to refresh my memory but couldn't really find anything yet. What basically happened is that many/most of the Catholic landowners were deported to Connaught, which was the former kingdom in the west of Ireland. Even there I think the land along the coast was formally reserved for Protestant landlords. [Probably to try and secure control and make intervention from overseas more difficult]. In part this was to secure control and prevent further rebellions. Also there was the case that several rich financiers had made large loans to Charles I to help him raise forces to defeat the initial Irish rebellions starting ~1641. OTL they presented their claims for repayment to Parliament and were given large estates in Ireland from amongst the seized estates. [Not sure whether this was in liu of payment or the intention from the beginning].

TTL a Leveller dominated England may be less friendly toward such wealthy grandees presenting claims for debts incurred by the previous, now deposed and executed monarch. I was unclear why this was done OTL unless it was a wish of Cromwell and others who, having decided against the more egalitarian elements such as the Levellers wished to win over such powerful people and their equivalents. [One problem for England in TTL, if the wealthy feel insecure many may seek to leave the country. Since most wealth is still overwhelmingly in land this is not a great problem economically, but it could mean both some social disruption and the loss of a number of the great merchant trades, especially from London, you have more mobile wealth plus the loss of their expertise].

If the debtors claims are rejected, as I said previous this could be bad for the ordinary Irish. Instead of a top layer of landowners Parliament might seek to secure control by encouraging more mass settlement from England. Possibly even something like the old Roman system of veterans colonies. In that case instead of Irish landowners being sent west it could be the entire population in some areas. Not sure how many English [and possibly Scots] might be available but you could see a significant movement, possibly markedly reducing that which goes to the American and Caribbean colonies. You might also in this case see some level of conversion, especially possibly from the 'old English' settlers of the Pale, seeking to avoid such deportations.
Ah thank you, this is highly interesting. It suddenly changes the possibilities with Ireland, so thank you for the idea. I will gradually tell the tale of the debtors and Irish in further installments, however the Connaught plan will be making an appearance. Alongside sudden English loyalties re-appearing in the Pale. I don't want to give too much away though ;)

With parliamentarism getting stronger in Scotland, could some kind of deal be made where Scotland is incorporated into a new British Republic and Henry is bought off by making him Chief of Staff of the combined military or something similar?

(That might worry people, as he could in theory use the position to stage a coup and take England as well.)

With parliamentarism getting stronger in Scotland, could some kind of deal be made where Scotland is incorporated into a new British Republic and Henry is bought off by making him Chief of Staff of the combined military or something similar?

(That might worry people, as he could in theory use the position to stage a coup and take England as well.)
Any kind of formal union will be a while from now, though I'm still unsure on a union so we'll see. However joining England currently isn't exactly high on a list of possibilities, in that the Scots have a King whom will lose many previous Monarchal powers. The Covenanters will get what they wanted, and so there'll be no real reason for at this moment to join with England.

Might a Parliament elected by manhood suffrage (or indeed adult suffrage but that was not on the agenda) have actually turned out to be quite reactionary and invited Charles back?

Might a Parliament elected by manhood suffrage (or indeed adult suffrage but that was not on the agenda) have actually turned out to be quite reactionary and invited Charles back?
Well so-far a new Parliament hasn't been elected, the election is being held off due to war and the creation of a Constitution. However in a sense you are correct in the sense that many of the people whom could previously vote will now vote for anti-Levellers. However my History teacher said the other day how the people who could vote were about 2-4% of the population, while males at the age of 21 or over who were self-sufficient were about 16-18% of the population. Thus you have 17% more of the population who can suddenly vote, and they aren't going to want to give this sudden right away.

Alongside this I expect religious propaganda will be used to get people to vote 'Leveller'. Though of course there aren't set political parties at this point, simply groups/individuals.

June - The 'Leveller Parliament' officially declares that Jews are allowed back into England after the centuries of which they'd been banned. Alongside this the Levellers began to send thousands of troops from Great Britain over to Ireland. The war in Ireland was intensifying, and although the English had the upper-hand the Irish rebels were also using their own religion to keep moral at an extreme high.

July - In the Republic of England eyes turn to more lax domestic affairs. For example one of the biggest problems Parliament faced was getting rid of the 'Rotten Boroughs'. The Levellers began the second mass-census of England in order to change the boundaries to fit population densities fairly. Another domestic problem were the Royalists as while all the rebellions had been put down now, many people believed that in order to help the economic recovery of England alongside helping the payment of the NMA Parliament should introduce a bill on taxing Royalists heavily. This became known as the 'Militia Bill' which was passed with relative ease, and thus known Royalists were forced to pay huge amounts of tax. This led to numerous bankruptcies and many Royalists fleeing abroad to the North American colonies.

August - In South Wales where there had previously been a large amount of Royalist support the previous Colonel Rice Powell instigates a rebellion against Parliament for what he believed to be "unjust taxation". It was expected that this rebellion would spread like wildfire, however it was simply centred around Cardiff. A large detachment of troops in the New Model Army was sent to Cardiff, and in the infamous 'Siege of Cardiff' it's been claimed that "the last thoughts of true, English rebellions were done away with in a Welsh town".

September - The Royalist tax is effectively paying for the war in Ireland. However although the new Republic was stabilizing the Levellers were worried of calling an election at this point in time as they didn't wish to lose power in Parliament yet. Also sights turned to foreign affairs, in which France and Spain were still at war, the Catalonians were rebelling from Spanish rule and the Dutch still outclassed the English in trade. These various issues were debated over in Parliament as to how the English Republic should interact with the various European nations.

This is just a little update, as I won't be able to send one tomorrow.

Last edited:
TheNordicBrit

I think Derek may have a point about the problem with royalist support still being a problem, if the electorate is expanded. Throughout the Commonwealth period there seems to have been concerns that new elections would allow royalists to gain power. True the electorate is likely to be distinctly broader in TTL and hopefully the economy better with taxes and unrest lower but there will continue to be a prominent bloc of potential royalist support simply because any alternative was so unthinkable to people at the time. [For instance think of the situation in France. For much of the time after the revolution until at least WWI there seems to have been prominent blocs supporting either Bourbon or Napoleonic restoration, including very shortly after the collapse of the 2nd empire].

On the question of the Jews while I could see the commonwealth allowing them back into the country, as it did OTL I doubt, especially with the uncertainty about events and the speed of communications, that 3 months would allow many to move back, let alone playing a significant part in boosting the economy. Also while a tax on royalists might be practical it's likely to be divisive and complex. Much better I would have thought to possible target big and wealthy royalist supports and possibly pressurising them for 'donations'. Possibly that's what you mean rather than a general tax on pro-royalists?

Steve