Abolition of 19th C Slavery

Not quite an AH question, but a project I've been given at work and one that the board is the obvious place to come to.

What were the major arguments raised in the period 1750-1850 against the idea of the abolition of slavery: and specifically, does anybody know any online resources from where I can obtain some direct quotes? A quick google has left me struggling somewhat, with only bitty and vague information to be found. This really isn't my historical period, either!

From my vague understanding, the anti-abolitionist arguments included the basic economics, plus arguments that slavery was for the own good of the slaves, and a good dose of racial superiority stuff...?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!

Not quite an AH question, but a project I've been given at work and one that the board is the obvious place to come to.

What were the major arguments raised in the period 1750-1850 against the idea of the abolition of slavery: and specifically, does anybody know any online resources from where I can obtain some direct quotes? A quick google has left me struggling somewhat, with only bitty and vague information to be found. This really isn't my historical period, either!

From my vague understanding, the anti-abolitionist arguments included the basic economics, plus arguments that slavery was for the own good of the slaves, and a good dose of racial superiority stuff...?

My understanding is that one of the main excuses for slavery came from a "property rights" angle- the slaves were defined as property, and therefore the state had no legitimate right to take them(especially without compensation)and doing so would set a bad precedent.

Further, because it was presumed that the state would compensate slave owners(well, it was in Britain. My understanding is that some abolitionist American states didn't compensate, while others did), it was argued that the cost of compensation would be bankrupt/cripple the finances of the state. This was more relevant in states like Virginia with a larger slave population then in Northern states where compensation(if paid at all) was relatively affordable.

There were also concerns, particularly in the aftermath of the Haitian revolution, that freed slaves would represent a threat to the white citizens. Or that the idea of abolition would incite slaves to violent revolution, and these fears grew in the aftermath of Nat Turner's rebellion. Because of this the slave states actually imposed restrictions on manumission and education of slaves- going against the notion of property rights in the interest of preventing anti-slavery notions spreading like a virus. It's also why white Southerners often responded violently to whites among them who espoused anti-slavery notions, they truly believed that a lack of solidarity would open the door to a violent slave revolt.

Also, non-elite whites were fearful that freed slaves would be in competition with them for land, work and women.

Last edited:
The book "A People's History of the United States" has some interesting information on slavery in the early US. While I don't like the book overall I think the sections on slavery are pretty good and highlight that slavery was entirely about making money and the justifications changed over time to suit the situation. At first it was acceptable to enslave Africans because they weren't Christian, and then after they were largely converted the racial justification emerged, that they were inferior and better off in slavery.

Saphroneth

Banned
In Britain, by the 1780s slavery was seen as an evil - the question was whether it was a financially necessary one. That's my understanding, at least.

Basically the same white man's burden logic as colonialism.
I agree. I do find it interesting that the exploitation and colonialism came first though. Exploitation was profitable, which is the reason it happened, it was only after the fact that moral defenses for it were created. Slavery was morally reprehensible in Britain because it wasn't profitable while in the American South the practice had defenders of it's morality because it was financially viable.

From the vantage point of the 21st century, it's really tough to wrap our minds around pro-slavery thought unless we first consider the basis for pro-slavery thought. As with any school of thought, proslavery thought was underpinned by an ideology--racism. In the modern world, we frequently equate racism with bigotry. To the extent that we're talking about the modern world (where racism is discredited as an ideology), that's fine. But when we're looking at the 19th century, it's wrong to make that same assumption. Racists were bigots, to be sure. But as ideologues, they were much more. As a Marxist views the class struggle as the engine of history and the Fascist views the man of action as the engine of history, racists as ideologues looked at race as the guiding principle driving the engine of history; the determinative variable.

Today, the power of capital is ascendant; banks are the most powerful institutions in the world. Its mother ideology, capitalism, has been utterly dominant as a way of thought for about three decades now, and it was mostly dominant for a long time before that.

In the antebellum period, the coming ascendancy of capitalism was far less apparent. Nowhere was this more true than in the South, but capitalism wasn't the force it became anywhere in the country. The conflict of the day-- between North and South, between abolitionist thought and proslavery thought, between Whigs and Democrats--is (IMO) a conflict between an emergent capitalist ideology and an entrenched racist ideology. The South was the locus of ideological racism, but it certainly wasn't confined to the South. To a lesser extent, ideological racism permeated the thought of agrarians across the country, and was strong amongst the recently rural immigrants in big cities.

For example, the Southern elite didn't look at the accumulation of wealth in and of itself as a respected aspirational goal. Indeed, the perceived greed and money grubbing tendencies of Yankees were widely derided. In contrast, the proper goal of a member of the Southern elite (or a wannabe member of the elite) was the classical (and mythical) plantation lifestyle. While this required wealth, the wealth wasn't the point. The plantation itself was the point, because the plantation served as a living representation of ideological racism.
(Much like the system of collective farming was of great symbolic importance in the Soviet Union)

The plantation was so important ideologically because it was a constant demonstration of white supremacy, and white supremacy was the foundational article of faith for ideological racism. According the ideology, the plantation is fate; the natural order of the world. As individuals who had realized ideological destiny, planters were therefore at the apex of Southern society--not bankers or traders of equal net worth.

The closest ideological parallel to ideological racism is feudalism and monarchism. In feudal society, money was great, but what really counted was land and a title. Those were the legal representations of the amorphous idea of "noble blood." The baronial estate with its accompanying serfs was a powerful symbolic reinforcement of the feudal ideal, which goes a long way toward explaining why it persisted long after it made economic sense. Ideological racism's connection to ideological feudalism is clear; race displaced nobility. According to ideological racism, membership in the white race conferred nobility upon the recipient. Black people replaced serfs. American Indians replaced outlaws.

Although there were those who attempted to reconcile the contradictions of capitalism and racism as ideologies in the antebellum period, such as JDB DeBow and Hinton Helper, they were not tremendously successful. (In the case of Helper, who advocated freeing the slaves and keeping the racism, they were reviled.) After all, in the long run, slavery doesn't make the best sense from a moneymaking proposition. Free laborers are more efficient than slaves and they don't require cradle-to-grave welfare or an expensive police state.

There were many arguments developed to advance the cause of enslavement, but economic arguments didn't always strike Southerners as the most compelling, unless the economics could be made to serve the racism. The Southern police state is a good example. The system of slave patrols and state militias, along with constant individual vigilance against and suspicion of black people, was enormously costly from a social standpoint, even though the system made white people superficially prosperous. Since the racism was unquestioned, defraying the costs of the police state through taxation seemed like a bargain, and only the resulting cost savings to the white race would be factored into the argument.

So when you're studying this period, keep in mind that the development of pro-slavery thought occurs in order to reinforce ideological racism. It wasn't "a good dose of racial superiority stuff." The reinforcement of racial superiority is the goal of all of the arguments, and the argument that slavery is the natural order of the world (an argument from Natural Law) is really the clearest example. "Slavery is good because it is usual and blacks are the most inferior race, so therefore they must be enslaved."

“In his native land, the African is a barbarian … laws and self-control are unknown, and cruelty is esteemed an appropriate manner of manifesting the most elevating emotions, – religion, grief, joy for victor. … Polygamy, theft, violence and falsehood, are virtues; nothing is so ennobling as the gratification of revenge, and the more cruel the means, the more credit to the actor. The shedding of blood is grateful to their God, whose attributes are of the most bestial description. … Add to this a dislike of foreigners as manifested in the assassination of travellers, and we have a faithful picture of negro life at home.” --JJ Pettigrew

For an explicitly ideological take on the goodness of slavery, see George Fitzhugh's Cannibals All! or Slaves Without Masters at http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/fitzhughcan/menu.html

Here's another, this time from TW Hoit: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/rbaapc:@field(DOCID+@lit(rbaapc13300))
Note the chapter titles.

That should get you started, but in general, the writings of James Hammond, John C Calhoun, William Porcher Miles, Robert Barnwell Rhett, and William Lowndes Yancy.

To further demonstrate the ideological basis for proslavery thought, an excerpt from a petition by a Northerner in 1866 to re-establish slavery:

"But let us not linger in discussion on either the Indian or Malay nature; but, in the emergency of time, turn to that division of man, which, with reference

Page 6 page image }

to your long and unceasing disquisitions, has been termed, and by no means inappropriately, the "Eternal Negro."

He is the opposite of the white man in color, and, as we shall presently see, alike so in instinct and turn of mind. He also differs from the Indian, for, unlike him, he does not seek an exclusive independence, but inclines to the presence of his opposite race--the white man. He seeks it by choice, and wheresoever found with it, no matter what may be his condition before the law, equal or unequal, he will be found menial and of secondary rank. He will brush his hair, groom his horse, wait on his stables, dust his coat, and black his boots, and when held as a slave, will value himself, not by his own, but by his master's worth. Why is this so, if nature does not give the disposition?

His brain is from ten to fifteen per cent. smaller than the Caucasian's, and, at the same time, darker colored and differently disposed. His back brain, or cerebellum, is comparatively larger, while his fore brain, or cerebrum, the organ of thought, is much smaller. Thus is he inferior as well as differently molded in the organ of mind. Why, then, is he not below the white man in the scale of being, and designed by nature for a secondary rank in the great work assigned to man of "subduing the world?"

He is inferior as a mental being. But though less endowed in one particular, is higher favored in

Page 7 page image }

another; for, while his brain is smaller, his nervous system is larger, and, as a consequence, stronger. This gives him power where the white man not unfrequently fails. But it is a power which comes with greatest adaptability to his condition as a slave; for it fortifies him against the wounds of reproof, and aids his inferior mentality in overcoming the sting of degradation under which the white man pines when subjected to the lash.

Other properties of a defensive nature pertain to him in a similar way. He shows his keeping as does a horse, an ox or an ass. If he be well fed, he will be sleek, black and glossy; but if ill fed, he will be of a dull, dirty or ashy color. Thus is he defended, for in this peculiarity of his nature is there a secret monitor telling the world of a master's care or of a master's neglect.

But returning from properties to structure, we find his feet larger and flatter than the white man's, his arms longer, his head rounder, his lips thicker, his nose flatter, and his eyes smaller; and what is equally a mark of specific nature, we find his eyes and his hair, with its kinks, always of the same color--invariably black. These are marks of his being. But in descending the stream of reproduction, an even more important peculiarity is displayed in transmission. All of his offspring partake, in exact proportions, of these general characteristics. They are all black eyed and black haired--rigidly

Page 8 page image }

so fixed in nature. But no such uniformity follows the reproduction of the white man. On the contrary, his children are never exact copies of himself, nor, like beans, fac-similes of one another, but vary throughout--in the color of their hair and their eyes, and in the different shades and tinges of their complexions."

Read the whole thing at http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/rbaapc:@field(DOCID+@lit(rbaapc23910div1)).

tenthring

Banned
I don't know man. It wasn't just the south that used slaves. All over the Caribbean and South America they used slaves. They used way more slaves then in South America. But at various times they had less racist systems. They even had black plantation and slave owners.

It seems to me that wherever it was hot and disease ridden (malaria) they imported black slaves, and wherever it was cold and less diseased they imported free white labor. They even tried free white labor in the south at first, but they kept dying from disease.

Maybe a racial system came in later, but black slavery was basically a by product of the fact that they could resist the diseases common in those environments. This was a purely economic factor.

I don't know man. It wasn't just the south that used slaves. All over the Caribbean and South America they used slaves. They used way more slaves then in South America. But at various times they had less racist systems. They even had black plantation and slave owners.

No, not really. One, Latin American slavery was much more racist than you're giving it credit for. There were a handful of black plantation owners, sure. There were a handful in the US. It's not really a relevant detail. Latin American slavery might seem a racially enlightened, but it wasn't. There is a persistent illusion of some sort of racially enlightened African slave based society, but it is purely illusory. It was more a function of many fewer white settlers in Latin America compared to Anglo America than anything else. Latin American slavery was horrific. Just awful. So brutal that the enslaved people couldn't even make enough babies to replace the ones who were dying off. The triracial society developed because there weren't enough white people around to guard against revolution. But I think this is probably off topic anyway. I'm pretty sure the original poster was referring to the US.

Long story short, Latin America is racist as shit. Always has been. Go anywhere in Latin America and it's apparent. The lighter and brighter, the richer and more powerful. And it's been that way for a long, long, time.

I mean, have you seen Sammy Sosa lately?

sammy-sosa-and-after.png

Sammy Sosa is not an outlier, either. Skin bleaching is still heartbreakingly popular in the DR. There's no great love for blackness in Latin America. No sir.

It seems to me that wherever it was hot and disease ridden (malaria) they imported black slaves, and wherever it was cold and less diseased they imported free white labor. They even tried free white labor in the south at first, but they kept dying from disease.

Funny, the rabid pro-slavery polemicists I quoted and linked to said exactly the same thing.

Man, think about what you're saying.

First of all, malaria was all over the US, from Maine to Miami. We eradicated it after WW2. Second of all, do you really think a malarial mosquito is only going to bite someone bent down in a cotton field? It won't bite the overseer too? It won't fly in the open window of the white man's house and bite him while his slave is washing his feet? A mosquito won't fly into the slave shack where he's committing legal rape and bite him on the ass?

If disease was so disproportionately hard on white people, where did all of these white people come from? I mean, I'm down here in NOLA, the Chocolate City, and this place is just lousy with white people. They're everywhere. All the census records might be wrong, I'll give you that. But they do say black people were always the minority in the vast malarial wasteland we call North America.
This is such an absurd and tired argument/justification for the growth of slavery.

They even tried free white labor in the south at first, but they kept dying from disease.

Let's parse this out. The "free white labor" in the colonial period were mostly indentured servants. What were some drawbacks of using white indentured servants to harvest cash crops? Well, the main thing is, harvesting cash crops sucks. It's the absolute worst, and there isn't a person yet born who looks forward to a long day of cutting tobacco or chopping cotton. So the white indentured servants would stop doing it at the first opportunity, (generally whenever someone's back was turned) and run the hell away. Because they could speak the language and blend in with their overlords, they got away with it a lot of times.

Now, I know I read somewhere that it was harder for slaves to run away and blend in than it was for indentured servants. But I can't remember why.

Oh yeah! Now I remember. They were black.

It's not about disease, it's about control.

Maybe a racial system came in later, but black slavery was basically a by product of the fact that they could resist the diseases common in those environments. This was a purely economic factor.

While the disease thing is mostly BS, it's impossible to dismiss economics. The thing to keep in mind is, we can't conflate economics with capitalism as an ideological system. Although we shouldn't ever do it, we especially have to guard against the conflation when we're studying precapitalist eras. Our tendency to identify one with the other is merely a reflection of our own prevailing ideological bias.

Of course economics are a driving factor behind the rise of slavery. The question is, what kind of economics are we talking about? What were the economic goals of the settlers, colonists, and early Americans? How are they influenced by their ideological paradigms?

Did they just want to have bags of gold sitting around their houses? Were they after a big number in the account ledger at their local bank?

No on both counts. Those kinds of goals are consistent with the types of things a modern person would want, because we want to go out and buy stuff. But back then, there just wasn't much stuff to buy. The prevailing economic goal for most people in early America was land ownership.
It was a goal that was mostly impossible in Europe, where the market for real property was dominated by the aristocracy. While the system of formal feudalism had died out in Great Britain by the colonial era, the market in land was nonetheless dominated by aristocrats of noble lineage. (Ireland is the exception. The system of peonage the Irish lived under from the Elizabethan period onward was quite similar to feudalism, but I digress.)

The point is, the idea that a person could come to America and own some land and be the lord of their own manor was an extremely captivating one. It was novel, leveling, and equalizing. I don't think it's any coincidence that the birth of ideological racism coincided with the age of colonial exploration and settlement. The settlers were literally building a new society; they came from a post-feudal, pre-capitalist world and carved out their own social order.[1] The new order was a middle ground between the two ideologies. Although ideological racism was more egalitarian than than systems of feudalism and nobility, it was still elitist, based on birthright. It replaced the small category of nobility with the much broader category of whiteness. It was a revolutionary concept when it was born--that by birthright, everyone deserved the opportunity to wrest a tract of land from the barbarians and carve out a manor from the wilderness. Of course, everyone was limited to white everyone.

The ideological moment can't really be separated from the economic moment. Each one fed the other; each time more of the West opened up for settlement, creating more opportunities for new American baronies, ideological racism became more refined as a system of thought. Or was it the other way around, with the ideology feeding the expansion? At different moments it was one, and at other moments it was another. The Louisiana Purchase was made without a truly pressing economic motive; it was a wilderness, and it took decades for the demand for land to match the supply. The Texas annexation was more clearly motivated by economics. Regardless, the result is the same. With each new land grab, a tantalizing call for white supremacy over the continent. We even thought it was the Manifest Destiny of the nation. A nation which, at the time, justified its existence on the principles of ideological racism as much or more than anything else.

[1]Aside from the obvious convenience of being able to tell who is property at a glance, I think this is a big reason why African slaves quickly became as popular as they did. The presence of large numbers of white indentured servants created an intuitive dissonance between the impulse to settle in America and the reality of it. As for black people, we were the perfect commodity for the moment, a different kind of person who could be dehumanized so that white society could live out its fantasies.

No, not really. One, Latin American slavery was much more racist than you're giving it credit for. There were a handful of black plantation owners, sure. There were a handful in the US. It's not really a relevant detail. Latin American slavery might seem a racially enlightened, but it wasn't. There is a persistent illusion of some sort of racially enlightened African slave based society, but it is purely illusory. It was more a function of many fewer white settlers in Latin America compared to Anglo America than anything else. Latin American slavery was horrific. Just awful. So brutal that the enslaved people couldn't even make enough babies to replace the ones who were dying off. The triracial society developed because there weren't enough white people around to guard against revolution. But I think this is probably off topic anyway. I'm pretty sure the original poster was referring to the US.

Long story short, Latin America is racist as shit. Always has been. Go anywhere in Latin America and it's apparent. The lighter and brighter, the richer and more powerful. And it's been that way for a long, long, time.

I mean, have you seen Sammy Sosa lately?

sammy-sosa-and-after.png

Sammy Sosa is not an outlier, either. Skin bleaching is still heartbreakingly popular in the DR. There's no great love for blackness in Latin America. No sir.
There should be a line between "skin bleaching because looks or personal preferences" and "skin bleaching to remove social barriers and discrimination", we can´t just assume only one or otherwise changing hair color would be a sign of discrimination against people of the hair color less preferred or you have people doing obviously insane things(I think there were stories of slaves or ex-slaves doing that, I can´t point out them) to find a way to change their social condition being considered motivated by looks only (and obviously they aren´t)

Well, you pretty much hit it. There is a lot of "this is the natural order" type of stuff in the more paternalistic pro-slavery documents you'll find. Which is code for "we make a crapton of money by owning other human beings, so piss off!" Which is really what it came down to. Sort of how nowadays people harp about "family values" when they can't actually come out and say "I'm a gay-hating bigot."

I think I would disagree that the racism aspect dominated the economic one. It's a factor, to be sure, but not the dominant one. Humans are essentially self-interested. I don't think the plantation lifestyle was attractive because it was a microcosm of white racial superiority. I think it was an ends in itself. It was a good life. That's why it was attractive- the same way that wealth is today. I would argue that even today during the heyday of capitalism wealth is rarely a goal in and of itself. Because, really, what do some digits in a bank account get you in and of themselves? Yes, it's a convenient measure of success in modern life. But really, it is the lifestyle that wealth enables that is what is desired. Success. Power. Influence. Comfort. Indulgence. Which sounds an awful lot like plantation life to me.

Last edited:

Saphroneth

Banned
Slavery was morally reprehensible in Britain because it wasn't profitable while in the American South the practice had defenders of it's morality because it was financially viable.
I'm not so sure that argument holds - slavery was viewed as an ill long before it was abolished, and the reason for that is that moral outrage was balanced against profitability.

That's cherry picking, just a little. It was much more widespread earlier, and 1935 is not very apropos to the argument.

malaria_old_map-US.gif

I'm not so sure that argument holds - slavery was viewed as an ill long before it was abolished, and the reason for that is that moral outrage was balanced against profitability.

Oh I agree. There was always a good segment of the population who were outspoken against slavery or considered it a necessary evil but the more wealth came from the practice and economic entrenchment the more pro-slavery morality arguments were made.

Saphroneth

Banned
Oh I agree. There was always a good segment of the population who were outspoken against slavery or considered it a necessary evil but the more wealth came from the practice and economic entrenchment the more pro-slavery morality arguments were made.
That I would not dispute; however, I would hold that the adoption of abolition came from the moral arguments in favour of abolition overcoming the financial ones against rather than the financial arguments disappearing. Quite apart from anything else this is why emancipation was compensated - the work of the slaves still had positive value.
(Note that the reform of Parliament in 1832 is almost immediately followed by a massive realignment election and the emancipation of the slaves - the political will to do something was overwhelming.)

There should be a line between "skin bleaching because looks or personal preferences" and "skin bleaching to remove social barriers and discrimination", we can´t just assume only one or otherwise changing hair color would be a sign of discrimination against people of the hair color less preferred or you have people doing obviously insane things(I think there were stories of slaves or ex-slaves doing that, I can´t point out them) to find a way to change their social condition being considered motivated by looks only (and obviously they aren´t)

Dude, don't be obtuse. This comment is tone deaf af.

Hair color and skin color aren't the same thing. Other than people with vitiligo, the group of body-positive skin bleachers is approaching zero.