ABC Dragonfly remains paper, Cosmos Jupiter rules

Just a thought. The ABC Dragonfly was a three-valve 9 cylinder radial engine that appeared as a proposal during the wind-down of WWI. The Ministry fell in love with the promise and ordered it into production in a large number of factories, and also took over development. There was only one big catch. It would never work at all, without an effort similar to that which brought the P&W R-2800 to fruition. Nobody thought of designing a dynamic balancer to un-resonate the beast. By the time they gave up, most future aircraft had been designed to use the beast, and large numbers of useless engines had been produced, in what was to become typical of gummint-run operations.

Meanwhile, Roy Fedden was fiddling away at a company that was about to become bankrupt, designing and building an engine that promised even better performance and which, in fact, eventually became a cornerstone on which international engine builders based their designs. The gummint was too busy playing their gummint games to notice, although, in their largesse, they did ask Bristol Aircraft to buy the company, they did nothing else to save it. I was just wondering what would happen if gummints weren't so darn stupid.

I'm not at all sure, looking at this, the difference would be huge.

It might keep the Jupiter, & Fedden, away from Bristol, which would appear to be good, since they reportedly had pretty dismal management.

It might also promote development of a "Turbo Jupiter", the Orion, which IMO would be a good thing--presuming its bugs could be worked out.

The Jupiter, however, as a single-row radial, seems to be limited in its performance growth. Unless you mean to posit a "Double Jupiter", even the mooted Orion would seem to face stiff competition from the two-row P&W & Wright engines...

The Jupiter, however, as a single-row radial, seems to be limited in its performance growth. Unless you mean to posit a "Double Jupiter", even the mooted Orion would seem to face stiff competition from the two-row P&W & Wright engines...

Tall oaks from little acorns grow. I realize the topic is fairly arcane. Wright engines of the period were the license-built Hispano-Suizas, which they eventually improved, post-war. Wright radials were handed to the company by the USN, who were interested in the Lawrance J-1 engine, a 9-cyl single row, but didn't consider the production capacity to be adequate. Wright, at least, provided a seat at the board for their new, bright engineer. Wright produced a couple two-rows in prototype form only, and the first two-row production engine was the R-3350 of B-29 fame, considerably beyond this time frame. Fred Rentscheler, a previous president of Wright Aeronautical, skipped town and scooped up Pratt and Whitney in 1925, luring as many Wright engineers as he could get, and his company did produce a couple of two-row engines in 1932.

Yes, I suppose you're right. There's just no way a British engine builder could compete with the American giants. I have to go now and look up how to spell facetious.

Perhaps, for my next thread, I'll take a poll of what kind of seeds everyone likes on their bagels.

Just Leo said:
There's just no way a British engine builder could compete with the American giants. I have to go now and look up how to spell facetious.
Where did I say, or even imply, that?:rolleyes:

I make no claim to expertise on the issue. If you've got some reason Bristol would do better than OTL, let's hear it. If you just want to be a snarky dick, I can put you on ignore.

It doesn't bear thinking about, all sorts of weird shit would happen if gummints weren't so stupid.

I know nothing about airplane engines, but JUST LEO (also the name of my cat) deserves a reward for that last sentence. Those few gummints that weren't so stupid were usually horrible beyond measure. So, all in all, stupidity by those in charge is the only thing that saves us.