A William and Mary Timeline: For Want Of An Heir

Final Soiree, Chapter 16: Mother and Son

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 16: Mother and Son

December, 1704

Mary watched as her son walked up and down the room, something was bothering him, what it was, she did not know, but she wanted to help.

The best way she knew how was to do this. “James, sweetheart, sit down, you’re going to hurt your legs walking around so much.”

James stopped, looked at her and then did what he had done once before as a child, he plopped himself down on the floor and looked at her.

“What is bothering you?” She asked softly.

Her son sighed. “I…I don’t know.”

“Is it anything to do with Sophia?” Mary asked, her daughter in law was in confinement, and was due to give birth next month. She remembered how she had felt during her first pregnancy all those years ago. The nerves, and the worries. She didn’t know how William had felt, he’d never told her, but, looking at James now, she imagined it was a lot like this.

“Yes.” James eventually answered after a long silence.

“And what is it that is causing you to worry?” Mary asked, though she imagined that she already knew the answer.

“Everything.” James answered. “I’m terrified something will happen, I’m terrified the child will die, that Sophia will die. I’m just terrified and I don’t know what to do.” He sighed, his shoulders slumping. “I hate feeling helpless.”

Mary reached out and took her son’s hand. “That is a normal way to feel, sweetheart, but, you must know that there are plenty of things that you can do.”

Her son looked at her, eyes wide. “There are?”

“Yes,” Mary said. “You ensure everything is prepared and ready for your child when the time comes. That will make it easier for both you and Sophia. You can focus on your studies to ensure you’re not obsessing over this. And most of all, you can pray for Sophia and the child.”

James nodded, and then he asked. “And that will be enough?”

“Yes. Sophia is fighting this battle now, but you can provide assistance by doing what I have outlined.” Mary said simply.

James took a moment before replying, and when he did, he seemed lighter almost. “Thank you, Mama.”

Mary smiled.

Final Soiree, Chapter 17: Birth

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 17: Birth

January, 1705

The pain was excruciating. The Devil was dancing on her with his trident, and she was helpless to stop it. She wanted to scream, but propriety prevented her from doing so. Instead, she held James’ hand tightly. Tightening her grip as the pain increased.

Everything had been going fine, she’d been reading a book, and preparing to write a letter to George, to try and get him to reconcile with father, when she’d felt something dribble down her leg. She’d looked down and found a puddle forming. The time had come.

She’d been helped to the bed, and then the pain had started, and it hadn’t stopped. Even when all these people had been called into the room, including her husband, and the King and Queen. The pain hadn’t stopped. It had only increased.

Sophia screamed then, as a sharp pain rocked through her, the trident was getting closer. Why did it hurt so much? Why?!

“Just a little more, Your Royal Highness, just a little more!”

Sophia wanted to scream at the man, or was it a woman? She couldn’t remember, and she wasn’t sure she cared. Either way, the pain seemed to be reaching a crescendo. The Devil was dancing on her and pressing everything, setting it on fire.

She yelled, and the pain reached its peak. Something happened, she felt as though she’d been torn in half, then there was nothing. A silence, a peaceful silence. She let go of James’ hand. Slumped back against the pillows and breathed in. It felt nice that the pain was gone.

The silence was breached by a loud yell, or was it a cry? She didn’t know, but something in her forced her to sit up. She blinked, tiredness gone. Where had the cry come from? She saw a woman holding a bundle. What was that?

Her eyes searched out James, he was standing now, moving to look at the bundle, his eyes sparkled as he looked at it, then he looked at her.

James looked at her and she heard his words and felt relief.

“We have a son, Sophia, a healthy boy.”

“What do you want to name the boy?” Someone else asked, she thought it might have been the King.

“William.” Sophia said, James nodded. “We’ll name the boy William.”

Epilogue: 1753

VVD0D95

Banned
Epilogue

June, 1753

Sixty-five, that was how old he was today. It was a remarkable thing if he thought about it. His father had died aged fifty-seven, his Mother aged fifty-three, and now here he was, aged sixty-five, and a great-grandfather.

His son William was talking to the Earl of Chatham about something or the other. His other son George was speaking with the Archbishop of Canterbury, and his grandchildren were there as well, as were his great-grandchildren. He was happy and content.

He looked to his side and smiled as Sophia took his hand.

“Are you enjoying your celebration, my love?” Sophia asked.

James smiled. “I am, I truly am.”

“Good, it will delight the girls to know that. They were sorry they could not come, but you understand how things are.” Sophia replied.

James nodded, he did know. Mary was in Denmark, looking after Louise-his sister had grown old and tired since widowhood-whilst his Louise was in Saxony, aiding her husband, the Elector, with a firm hand. They had done their duty well, he knew and he was proud of them.

“You know, I wasn’t sure if we’d make it to this day.” Sophia said then interrupting his musings.

“What do you mean?” James asked.

Sophia coughed, causing James to frown, her cough had been getting worse. “Just that the way the world works sometimes.”

James squeezed his wife’s hand. “We were always going to make it to this day.”

Sophia smirked. “And how do you know that?”

James blushed. “Because I prayed to God that we would.” He’d been young and scared, but he’d prayed and prayed and as time had gone on, God had delivered.

Sophia smiled and leaned forward to kiss his cheek. “I’m glad you did, husband.”

James smiled, he never got tired of hearing her call him that, he prayed he never would.

Final Note

VVD0D95

Banned
And there you have it, that's the end of For Want Of An Heir.

When I stumbled across this note in Maureen Walker's Ungrateful Daughters, that William had offered to adopt James as his heir, the ideas started running. I eventually managed to get something I considered realistic and fun and came up with For Want of An Heir. And unlike other timelines I've done, I decided to separate it into parts. Hopefully it's worked.

I always intended to end it with James and Sophia's first child being born, something poetic about it, thanks to the name (to which I owe thanks to @King of Danes).

I know there are perhaps some areas that some may want to know more about, the Republic, Sweden etc. But for me, I think the story was always going to end here.

To everyone who has read and commented, thank you very much. I appreciate it a lot.

I'm going to take a break from writing for a little while, just to recharge. But I will be back. I already have another idea, with a twist on the Jacobite myth and the whole shebang, that has got me enthralled.

Stay tuned.

Thanks

And there you have it, that's the end of For Want Of An Heir.

When I stumbled across this note in Maureen Walker's Ungrateful Daughters, that William had offered to adopt James as his heir, the ideas started running. I eventually managed to get something I considered realistic and fun and came up with For Want of An Heir. And unlike other timelines I've done, I decided to separate it into parts. Hopefully it's worked.

I always intended to end it with James and Sophia's first child being born, something poetic about it, thanks to the name (to which I owe thanks to @King of Danes).

I know there are perhaps some areas that some may want to know more about, the Republic, Sweden etc. But for me, I think the story was always going to end here.

To everyone who has read and commented, thank you very much. I appreciate it a lot.

I'm going to take a break from writing for a little while, just to recharge. But I will be back. I already have another idea, with a twist on the Jacobite myth and the whole shebang, that has got me enthralled.

Stay tuned.

Thanks
A great story as always… I am quite sad to leave behind this James, but will wait for your next TL after the break

I loved this TL. James and Louise were so cute, and I hope Louise had a happy marriage in Denmark.

But yes, it did seem a poetic way to end the story, going to James and Sophia's heir's birth.

I'm already excited for your Jacobite story - let me know if I can help :)