A Wikibox thread, by B501

(Mostly electoral stuff).

Let's begin with a UK election night based on this post: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...urrent-politics.413746/page-169#post-18120300

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Dimbleby: Ah, yes, here is the returning officer, just about to announce our first result from Newcastle Central.

NewcastleCentral.jpg

John Curtice: Well, that looks better for Labour than our exit poll projected. Their vote has held up well, and indeed they have actually achieved an increase in their actual raw number of votes due to a sharp increase in turnout. UKIP were expected to take around 30% here, but in fact are somewhat below that.

Dimbleby: Laura, I understand you have some news?

Laura K: Well yes, some rumours and anecdotes at least. I understand that Labour are confident that their actual number of votes will increase on last time, due to the high turnout amongst younger votes concerned about UKIP. While some of its vote has gone to UKIP, it seems that the Tories, according to Labour sources, are being hurt more badly in the marginal seats.

Dimbleby: Hold on, we are now about to get a result from a second constituency...

HoughtonAndSunderlandSouth.jpg

Curtice: That's a shockingly bad result for the Conservatives, and their first lost deposit of the night. UKIP advance further than they did in Newcastle Central, but still a long way off from gaining the seat. Turnout has risen here by more than 15%.

Dimbleby: I understand that we are now joined by Diane James, UKIP's deputy leader, who is at her count in the crucial seat of Eastleigh. Diane James, welcome, what do you make of things thus far. And how are things going there in Eastleigh?

Diane James: Good evening David. I am very encouraged by these first two results. One of our long-term aims is to replace the Tories as the main opposition to Labour in the North of England, and it looks as if we are making major inroads on that by taking votes from both major parties...

Dimbleby: But Labour's vote has actually increase in real terms. You don't appear to have dented Labour's support?

James: Obviously a lot of vote churning is going on, and Labour have done very well with large sections of the younger part of the electorate, who seem to be voting in record numbers. All of our research shows that we are taking a very impressive number of traditional Labour and Conservative supporters across the country.

Dimbleby: Sorry, but I must note that you have avoided the Eastleigh question...

James; Ha ha, yes, well it's been a great day here in Eastleigh. This is a constituency where the Liberal Democrats have long had a strong base, and they appear to be holding up well here, as they are, I gather, in their other heartlands areas. But I've had many formerly Lib Dem voters say to me today that they are backing UKIP with great enthusiasm...

Dimbleby: Diane, I must interrupt you because we have another declaration...

***To be continued***