A very different 1540: Anne of Cleves takes charge

I love tls where Kitty is a survivor. You’ve done it really well here so far! :)

Also, not that it’s a surprise to anyone, but man Henry is such an ass

Last edited:
#9 Dinner time
Sitting amongst a room of sewing women, you would have not thought much of the Lady Grey. Frances, the daughter of a Princess and a Duke (even one as reckless as her father) was one of the highest born women in this room. In many ways, she considered herself the Queen’s equal. But in her billowing blue dress – an Italian style to accommodate her enlarged stomach – she did not feel especially royal. Particularly not when her cousin Maggie was dressed in such beautiful silks and spinning around the room with the Lady Elizabeth in her arms.

Of course, there were reasons for her foolishness. After killing another Howard flirtation for her Scottish cousin, the King was once again considering an Italian marriage for his favourite niece. Frances had been left with the dull Lord Grey, but the one Lady Margaret Douglas was apparently suitable for a foreign alliance.

In Italy, which made the sting less severe, but a marriage of importance!

Granted, Frances knew the game was less for the eyes of man Lord Sanseverino had sent from Southern Italy. Maggie was too precious a commodity to marry to some third tier princeling from Southern Italy. But Elizabeth in her arms…she was a prize for a Prince.

The regular contenders for English brides didn’t want her. France had nobody to offer that hadn’t already taken off the table. But the Lady Grey kept her ear to the ground. A certain French Princess, who’s own religion was whispered to be less than Papal, was looking for a bride to match her son. If Maggie didn’t make it to Italy, maybe little Elizabeth might.

It would make things easier for her and her girl. Baby Jane was already spritely, and she had a sinking feeling the baby in her belly wasn’t a son to replace her precious boy. As her mind wandered, her hands automatically rubbed against her. The girl who kicked too hard against her skin. She’s name her Anne, after the Queen. With her own baby on the way, it seemed a safer bet than the original choice of Catherine.

Kitty Howard was clearly itching to join the duo on the dance floor. Her over-embroidered slippers, heavy on roses and pears, tapped impatiently on the ground beneath her feet. The only person who wouldn’t be able to see her fidgeting was the queen, directly above her, starring placidly at the display. Frances watched as her hands made quick, neat stitches down a shirt pattern, barely taking a moment to glance down. She had basically given up on her own shirt – a tangled mess under her swollen hands. But Queen Anne sewed without thinking. It was a marvellous, if overly domestic, skill.

When the music finally stopped, she happily dropped her sewing on the ground and clapped politely. It must have been showing on her face, because out of nowhere, the Lady Mary slotted herself in the same corner and picked up the sewing.

“How are your hands?” she whispered, beginning to unpick the mess.

“Swollen, and red, and unwilling to co-operate. Yours?”

“Nimble and long.”

“You tease!”

The two quickly stifled snorts while Maggie began rounding up the maids to twirl around the floor. Frances nudged her cousin to stand.

“Frances, no.”

“I hear the Queen has asked that German man back for the birth…”

“Yes, and?”

“You need practice dancing. You move like an old woman now.”

Faced with a stern glare, she picked up the hand of the King’s Daughter, and rubbed along the knuckles.

“Get married and let your fingers swell up like mine, dearest Mary.”

In many ways, nobody should have dared speak so brazenly to the King’s eldest daughter. But the truth was, there were very few people who knew this woman with red hair and a temper like Frances did. Maybe Eleanor, but she was back in the country to give birth. Certainly not Maggie, who she thought was very foolish. That Mary was more often in their cousin’s presence didn’t really cross her mind. It felt obvious to her that their relationship was special. Which was why Mary simply squeezed her hand back, placed the sewing on her lap, and joined the merry circle, where little Elizabeth spun with delight while a gaggle of women held hands around her.

---

Henry was especially joyous tonight. The day had felt crisp, rather than cold. His son had apparently gone sledding, and his Elizabeth had impressed the Italians. They also made comments about young Maggie, but there was nothing for that girl in Italy. Knowing her and her hot Scottish blood, she’d only make a fool of herself. He just wanted her off the bloody Howard boy. The second Howard boy!

He understood the allure of the Howards all too well. His current obsession had stayed behind with his Queen for company. It was too sweet that the woman he loved was so kind to the one he had married. Even if that meant a meal without her lovely company. And the meal was delicious. Pheasant and beef and potatoes stewed in some sort of apple glaze. Sweets would come later, built into visions of forests, knights, and maidens in towers. He had ordered a special one of a witch be made for Elizabeth, in honour of her potential betrothal. It had been made with blackberry drops for eyes. It would be like she was eating her own mother.

It was then that Cromwell finally arrived to the court, and his mind focused on something more important than food.

The man who scrambled to his seat was heated, and all around messy. Henry expected this of many men, but not this one. With his hat askew and his double crumpled, he looked like he had woken up very suddenly and rushed to dinner. His son arrived moments later, storming across the hall to sit as far as he could from his father, the nearly minted Earl of Essex. Curious, Henry sent a page to fetch him. He chucked to himself as the man put down the first bite of the night and scurried up to the King’s side.

“Cromwell, old man, what has happened to you?”

It was loud enough to make a scene for the few close by, but intimate enough to prevent the crowd from looking at them with interest. Plenty jovial. But Henry always kept a threat handy. Sloppiness from his best man was a bad look.

“I apologise, your Majesty. I took some time this afternoon to sort family business, and the evening just…ran away from me.”

“Family business, eh? Nothing too serious, I hope! How is the Lady Elizabeth doing with her newest babe?”

“Quite well, I should say. She should return to court and the service of the Queen before Spring.”

“Good, good…so what family business made you look like you’ve come back from war?

Henry gestured a wristless hand across Cromwell’s general direction, and the man pulled his cloak a little tighter to hide the pulled belt and messy sleeves.

“Just a minor disagreement.”

“You’re fighting your son in my court, Cromwell?”

With that, he burst into laughter, and turned to Brandon. His oldest companion, who had not been listening at all due to an interest in a maid across the hall, turned and bellowed his usual merriment. His little wife, the prim Lady Catherine, gave her usual tight smile, before returning to the carrots she’d piled onto her plate. Henry hated carrots. He wondered why she liked them.

“Lord Brandon, have you ever heard Lord Cromwell to fight?”

“I couldn’t imagine him raising his fists to a fly!”

The two laughed again, and Thomas Cromwell couldn’t help but snap back.

“I was fighting in wars through my youth, as a soldier. I wager I’ve seen more battles in my lifetime than our fair Duke here...your Majesty.”

It was Brandon’s turn to growl, but Henry turned from him completely and ignored the slight on his friend’s honour. His fun had been had, and the truth was the truth. Cromwell wasn’t the athlete that he and his friend had been, but a fighter’s spirit comes in many forms. The Duke of Suffolk, thoroughly annoyed at being humiliated by the upstart, went back to leering at the girl across the room, only to see her in the arms of some little lordling half his age. His wife continued at her meal of carrots – now with the addition of a pheasant she hadn’t touched.

“You’re perfectly right, Cromwell. I would be proud to see you on the battlefield.”

“Thank you, your Majesty.”

“So, what have you fought over?”

Cromwell went back to nerves, and Henry realised his Lord Great Chamberlain was actually uncomfortable. Which was strange. Messy was an oddity, but everything seemed to always work out for him. Even the Queen had been a gamble that paid of.

“You see…I am considering remarriage.”

“And your son is jealous? Happens to the best of children!”

His eyes flicked over to his Mary, currently scolding Elizabeth in a whisper for something he assumed was unladylike – although the girl was just sitting there quietly at the moment. His eldest was always playing the mother to her. Henry wondered if she would ever marry.

She deserves a King. No less.

“Yes – no – it’s complicated. The question isn’t if I’ll marry, but who asked for the marriage.”

“Oh? What impudent girl of the court has thrown herself at you?”

“I would rather say in private, your Majesty.”

This clearly wasn’t happening. Getting Henry to rise from his seat during a feast was impossible. Not just because he thought it unbecoming of a King, but because he was getting to an age where it was hard to stand up from the throne, so he liked to do it with less of an audience. This was positively scandalous. Cromwell never let himself act like this.

“We shall set up a meeting tomorrow, then. Return to your seat, Cromwell.”

The King returned to his food – but his eyes kept returning to the Cromwells across the room. Something was going on.

---

Frances was amongst those asked to remain after the Queen asked the rest to enjoy the gardens. The illnesses of pregnancy kept her from the grand feast the King had prepared, and Frances was one of three who joined her at a more intimate meal. She might have been grateful for the respite from the noise of a large dinner, if she hadn’t realised their meal was primarily fish and porridge. It seems the Queen had decided on foods from her childhood.

“Lady Frances…”

The Queen spoke between a spoonful of lentils and cod. The smell was atrocious.

“Yes, your Majesty?”

Kitty Howard, the other attendee, kept her face down but her eyes locked on the two of them.

“I…I would like to be the godmother to your child.”

Well…obviously.

Frances plastered on a smile, and the Queen returned it. But that was clearly not the end.

“I thank you for the honour, your Majesty. I plan to name it Anne, if it is a girl, after yourself.”

Kitty tried not to roll her eyes. Frances stopped herself from kicking her.

“But I have..a favour to ask…of…you.”

“Yes?”

Kitty watched them intensely. Nobody ate the disgusting porridge.

“Mistress Howard will be married s…soon. I would like you to…v…witness the marriage. To vouch for…th..the match.”

“I am quite happy to attend the wedding,” she turned to Kitty, “but why would you need someone to vouch for the marriage?”

“We will need your support.”

Frances Grey, who was so often overlooked, suddenly realised the Queen and her pet were both staring at her. Shaky breaths and nervous hands, she settled her cutlery on the table.

“Does she has the King’s permission?”

“She will.”

--

After the dinner, Anne settled on her chamberpot. It was the only time she ever felt somewhat alone, and recent tensions had made it an integral part of her day. Kitty Howard was a nice girl, although not nearly as sneaky as she assumed she was. The Queen realised they had a common interest in survival - the same one that had led to her current, swelling position. But it was more than that. She needed to protect herself not just from the King's interest in her, but her own ambitions. The marriage to Cromwell would solve it all.

Her stance was simple. The role of the Queen with a household of maids was to marry them off respectably. It was also, in the court of King Henry, to marry them off quickly enough that the King didn't promise them anything. She knew what she was up against here. Should the child be a girl, then she was at risk. Her faith was that God would save her, but she was certain God didn't mind some help in that regard.

Besides, the niece of a Duke marrying an Earl was a fine and natural match.

The others were easier to deal with. Henry clearly didn't care much for the Bassett girl outside of warming his bed, so she'd just allowed that to continue for now. The Queen considered her a fine choice to send away with the Lady Mary when she finally got that young woman off to Bavaria. She had even less competition from the ancient Browne woman. That was clearly an affair of boredom.

But the pretty girls - that was her issue. She had no illusions of faithfulness from her husband. His piety clearly wouldn't extend that far and she was uncaring of that. But two Englishwomen had made it to the throne as his bride. Anne would not allow a third.

So she made sure she was clean and returned to her bed, where Henry hopefully might return in the next few hours, and sleep by her side. She'd requested it, claiming to helped prevent illness during her pregnancy. But it was less obvious than that. If he came to get used to her scent, her feel, her presence - he might be used to her. Anne didn't love him, but she didn't want repulsion. She waited with Kitty asleep nearby. He never came.

Not even for her.

Sitting amongst a room of sewing women, you would have not thought much of the Lady Grey. Frances, the daughter of a Princess and a Duke (even one as reckless as her father) was one of the highest born women in this room. In many ways, she considered herself the Queen’s equal. But in her billowing blue dress – an Italian style to accommodate her enlarged stomach – she did not feel especially royal. Particularly not when her cousin Maggie was dressed in such beautiful silks and spinning around the room with the Lady Elizabeth in her arms.

Of course, there were reasons for her foolishness. After killing another Howard flirtation for her Scottish cousin, the King was once again considering an Italian marriage for his favourite niece. Frances had been left with the dull Lord Grey, but the one Lady Margaret Douglas was apparently suitable for a foreign alliance.

In Italy, which made the sting less severe, but a marriage of importance!

Granted, Frances knew the game was less for the eyes of man Lord Sanseverino had sent from Southern Italy. Maggie was too precious a commodity to marry to some third tier princeling from Southern Italy. But Elizabeth in her arms…she was a prize for a Prince.

The regular contenders for English brides didn’t want her. France had nobody to offer that hadn’t already taken off the table. But the Lady Grey kept her ear to the ground. A certain French Princess, who’s own religion was whispered to be less than Papal, was looking for a bride to match her son. If Maggie didn’t make it to Italy, maybe little Elizabeth might.

It would make things easier for her and her girl. Baby Jane was already spritely, and she had a sinking feeling the baby in her belly wasn’t a son to replace her precious boy. As her mind wandered, her hands automatically rubbed against her. The girl who kicked too hard against her skin. She’s name her Anne, after the Queen. With her own baby on the way, it seemed a safer bet than the original choice of Catherine.

Kitty Howard was clearly itching to join the duo on the dance floor. Her over-embroidered slippers, heavy on roses and pears, tapped impatiently on the ground beneath her feet. The only person who wouldn’t be able to see her fidgeting was the queen, directly above her, starring placidly at the display. Frances watched as her hands made quick, neat stitches down a shirt pattern, barely taking a moment to glance down. She had basically given up on her own shirt – a tangled mess under her swollen hands. But Queen Anne sewed without thinking. It was a marvellous, if overly domestic, skill.

When the music finally stopped, she happily dropped her sewing on the ground and clapped politely. It must have been showing on her face, because out of nowhere, the Lady Mary slotted herself in the same corner and picked up the sewing.

“How are your hands?” she whispered, beginning to unpick the mess.

“Swollen, and red, and unwilling to co-operate. Yours?”

“Nimble and long.”

“You tease!”

The two quickly stifled snorts while Maggie began rounding up the maids to twirl around the floor. Frances nudged her cousin to stand.

“Frances, no.”

“I hear the Queen has asked that German man back for the birth…”

“Yes, and?”

“You need practice dancing. You move like an old woman now.”

Faced with a stern glare, she picked up the hand of the King’s Daughter, and rubbed along the knuckles.

“Get married and let your fingers swell up like mine, dearest Mary.”

In many ways, nobody should have dared speak so brazenly to the King’s eldest daughter. But the truth was, there were very few people who knew this woman with red hair and a temper like Frances did. Maybe Eleanor, but she was back in the country to give birth. Certainly not Maggie, who she thought was very foolish. That Mary was more often in their cousin’s presence didn’t really cross her mind. It felt obvious to her that their relationship was special. Which was why Mary simply squeezed her hand back, placed the sewing on her lap, and joined the merry circle, where little Elizabeth spun with delight while a gaggle of women held hands around her.

---

Henry was especially joyous tonight. The day had felt crisp, rather than cold. His son had apparently gone sledding, and his Elizabeth had impressed the Italians. They also made comments about young Maggie, but there was nothing for that girl in Italy. Knowing her and her hot Scottish blood, she’d only make a fool of herself. He just wanted her off the bloody Howard boy. The second Howard boy!

He understood the allure of the Howards all too well. His current obsession had stayed behind with his Queen for company. It was too sweet that the woman he loved was so kind to the one he had married. Even if that meant a meal without her lovely company. And the meal was delicious. Pheasant and beef and potatoes stewed in some sort of apple glaze. Sweets would come later, built into visions of forests, knights, and maidens in towers. He had ordered a special one of a witch be made for Elizabeth, in honour of her potential betrothal. It had been made with blackberry drops for eyes. It would be like she was eating her own mother.

It was then that Cromwell finally arrived to the court, and his mind focused on something more important than food.

The man who scrambled to his seat was heated, and all around messy. Henry expected this of many men, but not this one. With his hat askew and his double crumpled, he looked like he had woken up very suddenly and rushed to dinner. His son arrived moments later, storming across the hall to sit as far as he could from his father, the nearly minted Earl of Essex. Curious, Henry sent a page to fetch him. He chucked to himself as the man put down the first bite of the night and scurried up to the King’s side.

“Cromwell, old man, what has happened to you?”

It was loud enough to make a scene for the few close by, but intimate enough to prevent the crowd from looking at them with interest. Plenty jovial. But Henry always kept a threat handy. Sloppiness from his best man was a bad look.

“I apologise, your Majesty. I took some time this afternoon to sort family business, and the evening just…ran away from me.”

“Family business, eh? Nothing too serious, I hope! How is the Lady Elizabeth doing with her newest babe?”

“Quite well, I should say. She should return to court and the service of the Queen before Spring.”

“Good, good…so what family business made you look like you’ve come back from war?

Henry gestured a wristless hand across Cromwell’s general direction, and the man pulled his cloak a little tighter to hide the pulled belt and messy sleeves.

“Just a minor disagreement.”

“You’re fighting your son in my court, Cromwell?”

With that, he burst into laughter, and turned to Brandon. His oldest companion, who had not been listening at all due to an interest in a maid across the hall, turned and bellowed his usual merriment. His little wife, the prim Lady Catherine, gave her usual tight smile, before returning to the carrots she’d piled onto her plate. Henry hated carrots. He wondered why she liked them.

“Lord Brandon, have you ever heard Lord Cromwell to fight?”

“I couldn’t imagine him raising his fists to a fly!”

The two laughed again, and Thomas Cromwell couldn’t help but snap back.

“I was fighting in wars through my youth, as a soldier. I wager I’ve seen more battles in my lifetime than our fair Duke here...your Majesty.”

It was Brandon’s turn to growl, but Henry turned from him completely and ignored the slight on his friend’s honour. His fun had been had, and the truth was the truth. Cromwell wasn’t the athlete that he and his friend had been, but a fighter’s spirit comes in many forms. The Duke of Suffolk, thoroughly annoyed at being humiliated by the upstart, went back to leering at the girl across the room, only to see her in the arms of some little lordling half his age. His wife continued at her meal of carrots – now with the addition of a pheasant she hadn’t touched.

“You’re perfectly right, Cromwell. I would be proud to see you on the battlefield.”

“Thank you, your Majesty.”

“So, what have you fought over?”

Cromwell went back to nerves, and Henry realised his Lord Great Chamberlain was actually uncomfortable. Which was strange. Messy was an oddity, but everything seemed to always work out for him. Even the Queen had been a gamble that paid of.

“You see…I am considering remarriage.”

“And your son is jealous? Happens to the best of children!”

His eyes flicked over to his Mary, currently scolding Elizabeth in a whisper for something he assumed was unladylike – although the girl was just sitting there quietly at the moment. His eldest was always playing the mother to her. Henry wondered if she would ever marry.

She deserves a King. No less.

“Yes – no – it’s complicated. The question isn’t if I’ll marry, but who asked for the marriage.”

“Oh? What impudent girl of the court has thrown herself at you?”

“I would rather say in private, your Majesty.”

This clearly wasn’t happening. Getting Henry to rise from his seat during a feast was impossible. Not just because he thought it unbecoming of a King, but because he was getting to an age where it was hard to stand up from the throne, so he liked to do it with less of an audience. This was positively scandalous. Cromwell never let himself act like this.

“We shall set up a meeting tomorrow, then. Return to your seat, Cromwell.”

The King returned to his food – but his eyes kept returning to the Cromwells across the room. Something was going on.

---

Frances was amongst those asked to remain after the Queen asked the rest to enjoy the gardens. The illnesses of pregnancy kept her from the grand feast the King had prepared, and Frances was one of three who joined her at a more intimate meal. She might have been grateful for the respite from the noise of a large dinner, if she hadn’t realised their meal was primarily fish and porridge. It seems the Queen had decided on foods from her childhood.

“Lady Frances…”

The Queen spoke between a spoonful of lentils and cod. The smell was atrocious.

“Yes, your Majesty?”

Kitty Howard, the other attendee, kept her face down but her eyes locked on the two of them.

“I…I would like to be the godmother to your child.”

Well…obviously.

Frances plastered on a smile, and the Queen returned it. But that was clearly not the end.

“I thank you for the honour, your Majesty. I plan to name it Anne, if it is a girl, after yourself.”

Kitty tried not to roll her eyes. Frances stopped herself from kicking her.

“But I have..a favour to ask…of…you.”

“Yes?”

Kitty watched them intensely. Nobody ate the disgusting porridge.

“Mistress Howard will be married s…soon. I would like you to…v…witness the marriage. To vouch for…th..the match.”

“I am quite happy to attend the wedding,” she turned to Kitty, “but why would you need someone to vouch for the marriage?”

“We will need your support.”

Frances Grey, who was so often overlooked, suddenly realised the Queen and her pet were both staring at her. Shaky breaths and nervous hands, she settled her cutlery on the table.

“Does she has the King’s permission?”

“She will.”

--

After the dinner, Anne settled on her chamberpot. It was the only time she ever felt somewhat alone, and recent tensions had made it an integral part of her day. Kitty Howard was a nice girl, although not nearly as sneaky as she assumed she was. The Queen realised they had a common interest in survival - the same one that had led to her current, swelling position. But it was more than that. She needed to protect herself not just from the King's interest in her, but her own ambitions. The marriage to Cromwell would solve it all.

Her stance was simple. The role of the Queen with a household of maids was to marry them off respectably. It was also, in the court of King Henry, to marry them off quickly enough that the King didn't promise them anything. She knew what she was up against here. Should the child be a girl, then she was at risk. Her faith was that God would save her, but she was certain God didn't mind some help in that regard.

Besides, the niece of a Duke marrying an Earl was a fine and natural match.

The others were easier to deal with. Henry clearly didn't care much for the Bassett girl outside of warming his bed, so she'd just allowed that to continue for now. The Queen considered her a fine choice to send away with the Lady Mary when she finally got that young woman off to Bavaria. She had even less competition from the ancient Browne woman. That was clearly an affair of boredom.

But the pretty girls - that was her issue. She had no illusions of faithfulness from her husband. His piety clearly wouldn't extend that far and she was uncaring of that. But two Englishwomen had made it to the throne as his bride. Anne would not allow a third.

So she made sure she was clean and returned to her bed, where Henry hopefully might return in the next few hours, and sleep by her side. She'd requested it, claiming to helped prevent illness during her pregnancy. But it was less obvious than that. If he came to get used to her scent, her feel, her presence - he might be used to her. Anne didn't love him, but she didn't want repulsion. She waited with Kitty asleep nearby. He never came.

Not even for her.

Ooh fantastic even more court intrigues, very beautiful slice of life moments between our queen's ladies ( who are also almost all related to Henry and family ), I am extremely curious to see king's reaction to the news of the marriage arranged by Anne between Cromwell and Kitty ( I think it won't be a very pleasant moment at the beginning, considering our Harry's outbursts of anger 😜 ) as well as extremely intrigued by which embassy from Italy was visiting the Tudor court : considering that the South Italy belongs to Naples, whose king is Charles V, the only "independent" possessions would be the territories of Bona Sforza and his progeny ( Bari and Rossano in particular ) for the rest there would be many minor Italian princes more suitable to look for an English bride ( so as to try to break the France/Habsburg vicious circle, but this would be seen as a way to be neutral in the next round of the Italian wars ) or perhaps of the minor imperial princes, especially if it reaches Henry's ears, a possibility of acquiring territories in the HRE ( cough ..Bremen cough ... ), if he decides to side with the emperor in the next conflict, come on, so Mary too can have a nice marriage and finally be free from her dystopian father ( I noted with happiness the references you made to Philip of the Palatinate 😉 )

Last edited:
Bessie in Ferrara? Ooh… this could be interesting.

it is certainly interesting, but potentially very dangerous, because Ferrara is literally bordering the Papacy, furthermore the people could easily rise up if they saw something out of the norm ( aka ideas that were not fully Catholic, especially since the region was repeatedly devastated by the landsknechts by memory of man, finally the Lanzis had now been definitively associated with the terrible sack of Rome and Protestantism, so I don't think Bessie can afford total freedom, but she will have to be as careful as possible ) especially with a Pope and the Emperor who want to hold an ecumenical council to respond forcefully to the Protestant Reformation ( note that the first attempts to convene a council date back to 1537/38, in Mantua )and finally, the Este were fully integrated into Roman affairs ( like all the main Italian states and the Catholic powers ) and if possible they wanted to increase their participation in this, but if they are suspected of being even remotely heretical, things get complicated for them very, very much ( they have no real interest in wanting to break with Rome, they just want "protection" against the aspirations of the Habsburgs and of a fringe of the curia, in this area ( i.e. the cardinals who see Ferrara as an illegally stolen papal fiefdom, which is in fact quite correct, this is they believe it must return under papal control, but considering that Ferrara was not reinstated in Otl until around 1598, for now they shouldn't have too many fears ) but if Lizzie can get past all of that, then I think she'll have a great time in Italy, ironically she might even love the city of Rome itself, should she end up visiting it ( which is quite likely, I mean a trip of the Estense family to the Urbe, perhaps in conjunction with the jubilee of 1550 )

Last edited:
Ooh, I like the idea of AOC lasting longer - and Kitty playing the game to marry Cromwell, there's a twist I hadn't considered!

Your Elizabeth is also adorable, and I appreciate the use of the Brandon girls. They so often get forgotten about.

Looking forward to more!

Ooh, I like the idea of AOC lasting longer - and Kitty playing the game to marry Cromwell, there's a twist I hadn't considered!

Your Elizabeth is also adorable, and I appreciate the use of the Brandon girls. They so often get forgotten about.

Looking forward to more!
I would love to see AoC have a healthy son! The irony of Henry getting stuck with a wife he dislikes because she gave him a healthy son is simply too delicious for words...

I would love to see AoC have a healthy son! The irony of Henry getting stuck with a wife he dislikes because she gave him a healthy son is simply too delicious for words...
Everything discomforting HVIII is delicious.
Isn't it amusing how we could have both CoA&Anne Boleyn supporters come to a truce under a "f*** you Henry" flag?

I'm 100% on 'Team Mary AND Elizabeth getting happy lives far out of their father's toxic orbit', and Anne of Cleves having a healthy son is the best way to achieve it.

Ooh fantastic even more court intrigues, very beautiful slice of life moments between our queen's ladies ( who are also almost all related to Henry and family ), I am extremely curious to see king's reaction to the news of the marriage arranged by Anne between Cromwell and Kitty ( I think it won't be a very pleasant moment at the beginning, considering our Harry's outbursts of anger 😜 ) as well as extremely intrigued by which embassy from Italy was visiting the Tudor court : considering that the South Italy belongs to Naples, whose king is Charles V, the only "independent" possessions would be the territories of Bona Sforza and his progeny ( Bari and Rossano in particular ) for the rest there would be many minor Italian princes more suitable to look for an English bride ( so as to try to break the France/Habsburg vicious circle, but this would be seen as a way to be neutral in the next round of the Italian wars ) or perhaps of the minor imperial princes, especially if it reaches Henry's ears, a possibility of acquiring territories in the HRE ( cough ..Bremen cough ... ), if he decides to side with the emperor in the next conflict, come on, so Mary too can have a nice marriage and finally be free from her dystopian father ( I noted with happiness the references you made to Philip of the Palatinate 😉 )

Bessie in Ferrara? Ooh… this could be interesting.

it is certainly interesting, but potentially very dangerous, because Ferrara is literally bordering the Papacy, furthermore the people could easily rise up if they saw something out of the norm ( aka ideas that were not fully Catholic, especially since the region was repeatedly devastated by the landsknechts by memory of man, finally the Lanzis had now been definitively associated with the terrible sack of Rome and Protestantism, so I don't think Bessie can afford total freedom, but she will have to be as careful as possible ) especially with a Pope and the Emperor who want to hold an ecumenical council to respond forcefully to the Protestant Reformation ( note that the first attempts to convene a council date back to 1537/38, in Mantua )and finally, the Este were fully integrated into Roman affairs ( like all the main Italian states and the Catholic powers ) and if possible they wanted to increase their participation in this, but if they are suspected of being even remotely heretical, things get complicated for them very, very much ( they have no real interest in wanting to break with Rome, they just want "protection" against the aspirations of the Habsburgs and of a fringe of the curia, in this area ( i.e. the cardinals who see Ferrara as an illegally stolen papal fiefdom, which is in fact quite correct, this is they believe it must return under papal control, but considering that Ferrara was not reinstated in Otl until around 1598, for now they shouldn't have too many fears ) but if Lizzie can get past all of that, then I think she'll have a great time in Italy, ironically she might even love the city of Rome itself, should she end up visiting it ( which is quite likely, I mean a trip of the Estense family to the Urbe, perhaps in conjunction with the jubilee of 1550 )

Looking forward to more!

Thank you all! I wanted to try and really affirm how TUDOR this court currently is. There's obviously way more women floating around Henry's orbit, but the King has two daughters, three nieces, and a daughter-in-law still floating around. Not to mention the various former mistresses and flings present. The Brandons seem to float around, and I wanted to really emphasise how close they likely were to the heart of the action.

As for Italy - I'm toying with the idea of Elizabeth stuck in the middle of Papal country, but this was honestly more to play with how the marriage game is always present. Henry has what he assumes is a Duke of York on the way - why not play around with sending his youngest off in a few years. His Scottish niece is easy bait to toy with, and he's always plotting a little bit. But I'm always interested in throwing someone into the mess of Renaissance era Italy. It wouldn't be at least until 1545 - we've still got aways to go!

And Philip will be showing up soon enough!

Kitty x Cromwell is something I'm still on the fence about - I'm still trying to weight up how Henry is going to react tbh.

Everything discomforting HVIII is delicious.
Isn't it amusing how we could have both CoA&Anne Boleyn supporters come to a truce under a "f*** you Henry" flag?

I'm 100% on 'Team Mary AND Elizabeth getting happy lives far out of their father's toxic orbit', and Anne of Cleves having a healthy son is the best way to achieve it.

Similar to the Cromwell marriage, I'm still figuring out if Anne is going to have a bouncing baby boy, or whether this would be a pregnancy that gives Henry HOPE for a son in a later pregnancy. It kind of depends on Kitty and Cromwell on how I deal with it. Part of me wants this to be nice for everyone, but I'm also tempted to do a funhouse mirror version of Medici v. Poitiers. We'll have to see!

Thank you all! I wanted to try and really affirm how TUDOR this court currently is. There's obviously way more women floating around Henry's orbit, but the King has two daughters, three nieces, and a daughter-in-law still floating around. Not to mention the various former mistresses and flings present. The Brandons seem to float around, and I wanted to really emphasise how close they likely were to the heart of the action.

As for Italy - I'm toying with the idea of Elizabeth stuck in the middle of Papal country, but this was honestly more to play with how the marriage game is always present. Henry has what he assumes is a Duke of York on the way - why not play around with sending his youngest off in a few years. His Scottish niece is easy bait to toy with, and he's always plotting a little bit. But I'm always interested in throwing someone into the mess of Renaissance era Italy. It wouldn't be at least until 1545 - we've still got aways to go!

And Philip will be showing up soon enough!

Kitty x Cromwell is something I'm still on the fence about - I'm still trying to weight up how Henry is going to react tbh.

Similar to the Cromwell marriage, I'm still figuring out if Anne is going to have a bouncing baby boy, or whether this would be a pregnancy that gives Henry HOPE for a son in a later pregnancy. It kind of depends on Kitty and Cromwell on how I deal with it. Part of me wants this to be nice for everyone, but I'm also tempted to do a funhouse mirror version of Medici v. Poitiers. We'll have to see!

I agree with you that the Renaissance period, in addition to being splendid, was such chaos ( being Italian myself I can easily say that it was also a dramatic period, given that the last 60 years were exclusively defined by the Italian wars ( except for a few small moments of respite ), which devastated the peninsula and made it gradually move towards a secondary role from a political point of view ) also considering that in Otl there were plans to try to settle Henry Fitzroy in Milan, at the turn of the 1510s/1520s, I can understand where the idea may come from of Henry of an Italian marriage for Bessie ( it would be in line with his idea / illusion / obsession of being on a par with Francis and Charles, both from the military point of view, prestige and foreign influence, especially remembering that the subsequent Stuarts also had this fixation of placing one of their cadets on the continent / to be considered on a par with the Bourbons and the Habsburgs ) also keeping in mind that in Italy there are technically still regions that are not consolidated and full of small potentates who can be succulent prizes ( in particular among the Emilia and Lunigiana ) so I can easily imagine Henry wanting to demonstrate to Valois and Habsburg that even the Tudors can play their own game ( the same goes for the Bremen question, which in Otl was an idea floated by Charles' imperial court, who, fearing a rapprochement between the League of Schmalkand and England, had suggested to the Emperor to try to tickle the ego of the English monarch, with a rich fiefdom in the HRE, especially since they remembered Henry's attempt in 1519 to stand as a candidate in the imperial elections.... ) for the rest the story is really fantastic and also well written, finally it seems like I'm watching a spin off of the TV series of the same name, so it's all very fun

As for the Kitty-Cromwell thing, I also hope that Harry would be too euphoric about a possible Duke of York to mess this up, but I can hardly imagine our group of "conspirators" being able to do that. go under the radar for at least 9 months, something like that, because Enrico certainly hasn't given up on chasing young Howard, so I think that until Anna gives birth we will probably see a situation quite similar to the one you imagined ( Otl Catherine vs Diana at the Valois court )

Last edited:
#10 Confirming the wedding...
Anne was at the point of pregnancy where she was basically wadding when she walked. While she hadn’t reached the swollen discomfort of the Lady Grey – who had been avoiding her since dinner – she wasn’t exactly moving with grace and dignity. Considering her condition, she normally wouldn’t have bothered with this long trek across the palace. But word had reached her that the King and Cromwell had finally met, and she wanted to know what had happened.

“Are you sure we shouldn’t stop and sit, your Majesty?”

That voice came from little Lady Stanley, who’s health had recovered enough to resume her duties. Her tiny stature and pinched face annoyed the Queen, but Anne had to be gracious. Her attendant for this mission should probably have continued to rest. Instead, they were storming across this long hallway.

By the time they made it to Cromwell’s rooms, it was clear something had gone on. His son, a thin-lipped, darting eyed young man, was fuming outside of the door. A shattered clay cup scattered across the floors in front of him. He barely had time to register that the Queen had come up to him before she pushed up the doors and stormed in.

“Fuck off, Gregory!”

And there it was. The King, knife in hand, was glaring into the fireplace. His chief advisor, the Earl of Essex, stood with another mug of some kind at the ready. Both shot to attention at the sight of the heavily pregnant Anne, who swept across the room and to her husband’s side. She noted, as she passed, that Cromwell had a ripped sleeve. She hoped Henry hadn’t reacted that badly.

“My lord husband, what is going on?”

Right on cue, the puffing Lady Stanley pushed the door closed ran to the corner.

“Anne, I- I’m fine,” the King protested, pushing her away gentle and moving to stand, “the Earl and I were just having a conversation.”

“A conversation? This looks like…like war!”

The two men looked at each other, and Henry sheepishly put his knife away while Lord Cromwell adjusted a seat so the Queen could fall into it more easily.

“I apologise for the mess, your Majesty.” he said, helping her sit, and motioning for the red faced woman in the corner to use the stool beside her.

“You should not have come here.”

Henry had sat back down on the chair across from her and glared at Cromwell. Anne ignored the tension in the room. She had come on a mission. Her assumption that Henry wouldn’t want to give up his plaything in Kitty had been correct. But she didn’t expect the obvious violence that had taken place. She looked concerned at Cromwell’s ripped sleeve, which he awkwardly pulled behind his back.

“Send that to my rooms, I’ll make sure it’s mended.”

“That traitor deserves no such help.”

She turned to her husband, who’s face was red with heat.

“What has Lord Cromwell done to deserve your anger?”

The two turned to each other, and Anne realised something. They both thought she didn’t know. These two men assumed that she was still as limited and useless as her first days. But this was all to her advantage. When neither answered, she took control,

“Well, if you d…don’t answer me, I shall continue my purpose. Lord Cromwell, the Mistress Howard has told me you…intend to wed. Is this true?”

Henry snorted, but Anne focused on her target.

“That…that has been discussed.”

“It isn’t happening!”

“Why not?” she pulled her most puzzled expression at Henry, “when he has been sending her flowers and fruit for months?”

She turned to Lady Stanley, who silently nodded, while keeping her eyes at the feet of the men. Anne knew she’d picked correctly. Having Kitty here would have inflamed Henry’s passions. Having any of his nieces or cousins may have given him an unwilling ally. An unmarried beauty would have provided a wrong type of distraction. But Lady Stanley was plain, simpering, and quiet. There was no opportunity to miss her mark.

“He was doing that…on behalf…I mean he was only sending her…”

She didn’t drop her gaze, and she recognised that embarrassment on his face. The King knew that if he admitted the gifts were from him – that he had never stopped wooing the teenage girl in her employ – he was the villain. She was his young, pregnant bride. His eyes dropped quickly to her stomach, and she played it up by placing a hand on the highest point.

“Am I..incorrect in who was sending…her those things?”

Keep the accent heavy – they’ll never suspect a thing!

Cromwell stepped in.

“I did send her those gifts, your Majesty. They were on behalf of her services.”

“Even v…with the love notes?”

She went to rise, except an opportune kick by the impatient babe in her belly took her right back down. Henry’s eyes widened in fear, and she had to wave of his move towards her.

“Are you-“

“Our duke is too strong, my love. He kicks at your Queen.”

“I shall send him to the Tower.”

It may have been the first time since they found out she was pregnant that he had shown her any affection. That smile filled her full of sunshine. But not to be deterred from her mission, Anne decided enough was enough. Pulling out the waterworks, she turned to the Lady Stanley and began to cry. Right on cue, Stanley began to comfort her, and looked around the room in shock.

“There, there, your Majesty.”

“Anne, what is wrong?”

“Can I offer the Queen anything? An apple?”

Cromwell grabbed a (somewhat bruised) apple from his desk and began to hastily cut a slice from the cleaner side. But Anne turned on the King.

“Why can’t he marry Mistress Howard? I want her to stay at court! I am worried she will fall in love with a petty knight and leave while I am in confinement. She is my friend!”

Henry was up now, and waved away Stanley, who stood beside a bewildered Cromwell, watching in disbelief as the German woman leaned into that giant man’s shoulder, wailing insanely. She had to wonder if Cromwell noticed how few tears she actually shed. It didn’t matter, but she was curious.

“He can – he will! The Earl will marry Mistress Howard before the month is through.”

“I will.”

“You will.”

Heaving still, Anne wiped her eyes to try and salvage her face, and smiled at Henry, who gave her a tense one in return. Pulling his hand to her stomach, she waited until another kick came. Even through the thick fabric of her gown, he felt it. Eyes lighting up, he once again looked at her with something almost resembling love.

“Do you feel him?”

“I feel our boy.”

“Our Henry.”

It was the King who walked her back to her rooms, and she felt grateful. Almost as grateful as Frances Brandon when she realised she wasn’t going to be pulled into a shrouded wedding. The Queen had considered it, but this was much easier. Only Kitty Howard seemed unhappy, watching with wary eyes as King Henry enthralled the room with the story of how his boy had kicked the Queen.

#11 Mary ponders
Mary sat in her rooms with only a maid for company, unbearably excited but unwilling to show it. Preparations were being made for the Queen’s guests and wellwishers to arrive and see the birth of her child. Son. Her father was obsessed with the idea a boy was on the way. But the party would bring certain excitements.

The grandest of guests was the Elector of Saxony, his wife and eldest son. While the Electoress Consort was the Queen’s sister, Mary guessed that her father wanted to size up another husband for Elizabeth. The Duke of Nevers would represent France – particularly as a cousin to the Queen – leaving his wife with their newborn son to recover at home. The Hapsburgs, to her disappointment, had only sent their thoughts and prayers.

But there was one man she was excited for.

Now, Mary was perfectly content to remain unwed. Yes, she was hugely jealous of Frances and Eleanor’s babies, and had recently had to send her cousin a gift for the birth of little Margaret Clifford. Motherhood might not be on the table for her. She had accepted that her role would be an ornament of her father’s court, and hopefully, something greater in her brother’s. But maybe, she could be something more.

Duke Philip would be returning, and if the Queen had managed to secure Kitty Howard her odd obsession with the Earl of Essex, surely this should be easy enough. He was suitable enough for a royal bastard, as her father declared her. And since she was not one, she was grander a bride than he could ever have hoped.

Granted, it wasn’t blood that drew her to him, it was kindness. He was just so…sweet. Joyful. Calm. When they had met last year, he had brought extra firewood and bed warmers as gifts, when a cold snap had made Spring chillier than expected. She remembered the poem he had written her – now hidden amongst her books as a precious secret. It had been clumsy and cloying, but sincere.

And today, he was return to England.

Usually, she would have busied herself with ensuring her sister was equally as prepared, but Elizabeth’s caretakers were plenty aware of what was needed. Instead, she funnelled her attentions to her dress. The simple blacks and reds of her usual dress were unacceptable. She wanted to stand out, and the court would all be in their finery.

White would be inappropriate – it would read as French mourning – and she had no spring yellow after her father had tainted the colour for her on her mother’s death. But blue washed her out – Maggie had warned her that the colour was unbecoming. Green was too common. She did, however, have something made in pink. It was a little old fashioned and heavy, but paired with the French hood rather than her usual gable, she might look quite pretty.

She resisted the urge to pull out the little pot of red paste Lady Salisbury had gifted her years prior. Her poor friend languished in the Tower, despite many’s best efforts. Mary hoped that the birth of a son would bring her father into a more forgiving mood soon enough to have her home.

Is it selfish to think of love when she’s so thoughtlessly treated?

It often distracted her. On days where she should be focusing on the day, her mind wandered to that tower in London. Lady Salisbury had been her constant companion. She remembered her embrace when news came that the King had “married” the Boleyn woman. The tears they had shed together when her mother had died. The last letter she had written her, begging for help, that Mary had burned to protect them both.

It was in this returned state of sobriety that Mary had switched from the pink to a stately but unflattering red, and back to the gable. It felt like a suit of armour. She looked her part, and not a smidge more invested.

The palace was aflutter with preparations, and she took this time to visit Frances, steadfast in her refusal to admit that her lying in should have started at least week ago, and not after the Queen went in for hers this week. Instead, she spent most of her days sitting in rooms where she could pretend to be busy. Today, it was to guide the preparations for the Saxon suite. Last minute touch ups to make it a stunning experience.

“Frances – don’t get up!”

One of the little annoyances of having a heavily pregnant cousin who was a stickler for proper order was her constant need to rise and curtsey when she entered the room. Thankfully, what was in her belly made her move slowly, and Mary was basically by her side before she could even get herself up.

“Oh bugger!” she muttered while flopped back onto the chair. Mary stifled a laugh.

“You’ll hurt yourself if you’re not careful.”

“I’m not here for my health.”

The two of them fell into giggles for a moment, and Mary remembered just how restless she had been waiting for news of her labour with little Jane – while Mary dealt with what she had to with Queen Jane’s unfortunate situation. That damn Lord Grey was so slow to provide news that she’d felt insane waiting. And now another Queen’s pregnancy meant Mary couldn’t dedicate herself to her cousin yet again.

“You should be resting.”

“And you should dress nicer. You look like a matron in that hood.”

Frances tutted as she turned Mary’s head in her hands and tucked back a few stray hairs that has escaped her.

“I look fine.”

“You could look beautiful. I don’t know why you’re dressed so dowdily.”

“It isn’t my day.”

“It could be!”

“Lady Salisbury-“

“Is a traitor and awaiting her execution. Let’s not speak of her on such a joyous day.”

Frances, still playing with Mary’s hood to put her to full advantage, slid her eyes over to the maids and servants. It was a warning. Do not speak too freely in these rooms.

Or ever.

Mary sat in her rooms with only a maid for company, unbearably excited but unwilling to show it. Preparations were being made for the Queen’s guests and wellwishers to arrive and see the birth of her child. Son. Her father was obsessed with the idea a boy was on the way. But the party would bring certain excitements.

The grandest of guests was the Elector of Saxony, his wife and eldest son. While the Electoress Consort was the Queen’s sister, Mary guessed that her father wanted to size up another husband for Elizabeth. The Duke of Nevers would represent France – particularly as a cousin to the Queen – leaving his wife with their newborn son to recover at home. The Hapsburgs, to her disappointment, had only sent their thoughts and prayers.

But there was one man she was excited for.

Now, Mary was perfectly content to remain unwed. Yes, she was hugely jealous of Frances and Eleanor’s babies, and had recently had to send her cousin a gift for the birth of little Margaret Clifford. Motherhood might not be on the table for her. She had accepted that her role would be an ornament of her father’s court, and hopefully, something greater in her brother’s. But maybe, she could be something more.

Duke Philip would be returning, and if the Queen had managed to secure Kitty Howard her odd obsession with the Earl of Essex, surely this should be easy enough. He was suitable enough for a royal bastard, as her father declared her. And since she was not one, she was grander a bride than he could ever have hoped.

Granted, it wasn’t blood that drew her to him, it was kindness. He was just so…sweet. Joyful. Calm. When they had met last year, he had brought extra firewood and bed warmers as gifts, when a cold snap had made Spring chillier than expected. She remembered the poem he had written her – now hidden amongst her books as a precious secret. It had been clumsy and cloying, but sincere.

And today, he was return to England.

Usually, she would have busied herself with ensuring her sister was equally as prepared, but Elizabeth’s caretakers were plenty aware of what was needed. Instead, she funnelled her attentions to her dress. The simple blacks and reds of her usual dress were unacceptable. She wanted to stand out, and the court would all be in their finery.

White would be inappropriate – it would read as French mourning – and she had no spring yellow after her father had tainted the colour for her on her mother’s death. But blue washed her out – Maggie had warned her that the colour was unbecoming. Green was too common. She did, however, have something made in pink. It was a little old fashioned and heavy, but paired with the French hood rather than her usual gable, she might look quite pretty.

She resisted the urge to pull out the little pot of red paste Lady Salisbury had gifted her years prior. Her poor friend languished in the Tower, despite many’s best efforts. Mary hoped that the birth of a son would bring her father into a more forgiving mood soon enough to have her home.

Is it selfish to think of love when she’s so thoughtlessly treated?

It often distracted her. On days where she should be focusing on the day, her mind wandered to that tower in London. Lady Salisbury had been her constant companion. She remembered her embrace when news came that the King had “married” the Boleyn woman. The tears they had shed together when her mother had died. The last letter she had written her, begging for help, that Mary had burned to protect them both.

It was in this returned state of sobriety that Mary had switched from the pink to a stately but unflattering red, and back to the gable. It felt like a suit of armour. She looked her part, and not a smidge more invested.

The palace was aflutter with preparations, and she took this time to visit Frances, steadfast in her refusal to admit that her lying in should have started at least week ago, and not after the Queen went in for hers this week. Instead, she spent most of her days sitting in rooms where she could pretend to be busy. Today, it was to guide the preparations for the Saxon suite. Last minute touch ups to make it a stunning experience.

“Frances – don’t get up!”

One of the little annoyances of having a heavily pregnant cousin who was a stickler for proper order was her constant need to rise and curtsey when she entered the room. Thankfully, what was in her belly made her move slowly, and Mary was basically by her side before she could even get herself up.

“Oh bugger!” she muttered while flopped back onto the chair. Mary stifled a laugh.

“You’ll hurt yourself if you’re not careful.”

“I’m not here for my health.”

The two of them fell into giggles for a moment, and Mary remembered just how restless she had been waiting for news of her labour with little Jane – while Mary dealt with what she had to with Queen Jane’s unfortunate situation. That damn Lord Grey was so slow to provide news that she’d felt insane waiting. And now another Queen’s pregnancy meant Mary couldn’t dedicate herself to her cousin yet again.

“You should be resting.”

“And you should dress nicer. You look like a matron in that hood.”

Frances tutted as she turned Mary’s head in her hands and tucked back a few stray hairs that has escaped her.

“I look fine.”

“You could look beautiful. I don’t know why you’re dressed so dowdily.”

“It isn’t my day.”

“It could be!”

“Lady Salisbury-“

“Is a traitor and awaiting her execution. Let’s not speak of her on such a joyous day.”

Frances, still playing with Mary’s hood to put her to full advantage, slid her eyes over to the maids and servants. It was a warning. Do not speak too freely in these rooms.

Or ever.

Ah, our Mary who finally behaves like a person of her age, without being afraid of being judged or scolded ( as it should be, let's hope that this moment of lightness continues ) and without forgetting the sweet pains of the heart .... which is going through for the handsome Philip, however returning serious for a moment, the permanence of the Saxon electoral family at the English court, albeit as a visit to relatives ( in this case Anne ) is not exactly a good sign for the Habsburgs , given that it could also have a political undertone ( flashback of the alliance with the Protestants ?, given that John Frederick I was the head of the League of Schmalkand in Otl, as well as one of the worst enemies of Charles and Ferdinand ) therefore it is not to exclude that the Emperor decides to make a surprise appearance at Henry's court, in the short term, to prevent this hypothetical alliance from actually materializing, perhaps with a counter-offer that our sovereign will not be able to refuse ( the famous possibility of gaining territories in the HRE, to the detriment of the Lutheran principles ) which can be discussed more in detail with a guest of Henry and family in Brussels in the future ( after Anne has given birth obviously, it would be another ideal place for Mary to meet both with the rest of his Habsburg cousins, who are not Charles, and also with his Prince Charming again 😜 ) for the rest truly fantastic chapter

I for one rally to the flag of "Anne gets a boy or two, Henry croaks timely and everyone has a happily ever after". Please and thank you? 🥺