A very different 1540: Anne of Cleves takes charge

Very diplomatic answer. I wonder what Henry will interpret it as.

Hopefully Mary gets Philip, but I’d rather see Liz in Denmark heh

Yes! I hope Mary and Philip make their marriage work.

She might have added, “. . . And if your happiness were to include my hand to Phillip, that would please me too.” Just to make sure she tips her hand a tiny bit. I’d hate to have her diplomatic answer be misunderstood by Henry.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially if we consider that Lizzie would end up involved between Mary's family ( and I'm not just talking about Charles V, but I also include Philip, since he was very loyal allies to Ferdinand I ) and her possible husband Wettin, in the wars of Schmalkand, which could put her in danger. serious trouble ( much better not to deal with Frederick Wilhelm 's sons, as Otl caused problems in the Empire until 1570 ) for the rest we hope that Maria rediscovery happiness and family love in the Palatinate

Well you're all in for a few surprises! Not saying in which direction - just surprises.

Hilarious seeing Cromwell jump on the Kitty Howard grenade for Henry. Since he got Henry a second son, he'll probably still get his Earldom and his head should be much more secure than OTL. Norfolk better be wary of him this time around.

Well Cromwell already has his Earldom, but he's definitely going to be much higher in Henry's good books than he was historically. For starters - he still has his head!

Well you're all in for a few surprises! Not saying in which direction - just surprises.

Well Cromwell already has his Earldom, but he's definitely going to be much higher in Henry's good books than he was historically. For starters - he still has his head!

you know that with this statement you are making me quite worried about the fate of Elizabeth and Mary eh ! , they better not really have anything to do with the Ernestine Wettins ( they only bring problems, if I had been in Charles/Ferdinand's place, I would have also deposed them from governing their lands in Thuringia ( as well as losing their role as Electors as happened in Otl ) the only ones on a par with them regarding the problems are Philip of Hesse, Ulrich of Wurttemberg and the Calvinists ( post Peace of Augsburg )

Last edited:
Eeek! Annie Stafford under Kitty Cromwell's guidance? My heart's in my mouth just thinking about it. Here's hoping Mary doesn't come to regret that decision!!

#17 Awkward encounters
Kitty lay in her marriage bed, feeling extremely empty. Her nightgown was unruffled, her hair splayed out around her, and her husband lay on a cot, completely unbothered by the young beauty he had just wed. In every scenario she’d imagined in becoming Lady Cromwell, a cold kiss goodnight and a snoring man across the room wasn’t her imagining.

It wasn’t that she wanted him to ravish her. Her…husband was as old as her father, with a sagging face and red nose. His hands were swollen and calloused. When he’d leaned in close during their wedding, his breath had been sour and wet. But as the night went on, she began to question exactly why he’d avoided her.

In the end, it ate her up inside too much. She crawled out of the grand bed he’d acquired, crept up to is cot, and nudged the old man awake.

“Lord Crom…Lord Husband. Please awake.”

It was frightening to hear him groan and almost roar as he stirred awake, and suddenly she felt quite afraid. What if he beat her? Her father never had to his wives (although her current mother could easily have earned it), but she knew some men weren’t so kind. As he tossed himself up, she took a step back.

“Kitty, what do you want?”

She couldn’t answer, which clearly annoyed him.

“Well – spit it out!”

Legitimate tears welled up in her eyes, and she looked through them as his face softened and his shoulders slumped. Patting the cot, he motioned for her to sit with him, and pulled her into an embrace that reminded her of how her brother John would hold her when storms had awoken them back when her father had kept them all together. Relaxing into her husband, she stared over at the bed.

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Why not?”

“I have been having heavy thoughts.”

“Oh, dear. Maybe I can help you lighten them.”

“You might…”

“Why don’t you let me know what burdens you so?”

“Why didn’t you not go to bed with me?”

He coughed in surprise, and she nestled her head on his chest.

“Well…Kitty…”

“Do you not like me?”

She felt his breath get belaboured. It made her wonder if maybe he had just been nervous to take a new bride, having been alone for so long. Her sympathies welled with imaginings of a lonely man. Maybe he hadn’t even thought of marriage since his dear wife had died. It might be that his heart needed to melt over time. She pictured him, lying on this cot, dreaming of a woman he would never see again. Her, breaking through his shell, making him come alive again. It was poetry.

“The King said not to.”

Well…there it is.

Her lover had stopped her husband. Her King had commanded his subject. Henry had lain with her twice since the Duke of York had been born, and had apparently claimed her for himself. Vows be damned, she was his. An unwanted feeling of dread pooled in her stomach, and she straighted up, as her husband’s arm around her dropped.

“Oh…ok.”

She turned to give him a perfunctory kiss on the forehead, then began to walk to her bed. It was like all the affection in her had shrivelled up. Turning back, he stopped his return to bed.

“Yes?”

Kitty straightened her back and squared her shoulders defiantly.

“We have taken the wardship of Anne Stafford. She will be joining the household within the coming few days.”

He shrugged and turned back to his pillow, while she lay back down, feeling no better than she’d started.

--

Mary Fitzroy had been given the unenviable duty of attending the Queen during this restless period. Feeling like an old matron at 21, the severe young woman had no time for Queen Anne’s restless, tapping feet, nor her insistence on embroidering such intricate designed on a blanket for the Prince. The King might play at her father, but this woman of an age with her certainly didn’t impress her as a mother.

She often wondered what kind of mother she might have been to Lord Richmond’s child. The King had certainly prevented that from happening. But that was likely for the best. Mary did not fare well with difficult people, which seemed to be a rule for children.

Her father had started pestering her to remarry recently, and had even suggested her as a bride for Thomas Seymour – a groom she had rejected for being too low and too brash. She’d married a King’s son, and nothing but that again would interest her. As a widow, she had the right to choose. Or, in this case, not choose. Men of the court were better admired that wedded, in her opinion.

But in moments like this, she wished a man would sweep her away.

“I cannot wait until they finally…church me.” Queen Anne sighed in the direction of a window – shut against the snow that had begun to fall.

“Three more days, your Majesty.”

That’s basically all Mary could do to comfort her. Count down the days. The two women didn’t have that much in common, and so their conversations were basically always running in parallel. Once she had brought a book in to read from, but the Queen had balked at the discussions of alchemy, and had tried to switch them to poetry. Mary had simply turned to psalms instead.

“Has the King announced anything in regards to the Lady Mary?”

“No, your Majesty.”

“And the Lady Elizabeth?”

“No, your Majesty.”

“And my dear Mistress Howard?”

“Now the Lady Cromwell, your Majesty.”

Dry. Boring. Dependable. Mary kept her eyes on her hands and refused to give her mistress any titillating titbits. That wasn’t her way. She wasn’t about to tell her that the introduction of the King and Kitty had been her idea. Nor that the wedding was a sham, and the King was considering making her position as mistress official already. It wouldn’t do.

Who would it help?

Instead, she let her stew. Nobody could say a word about Mary Fitzroy. She was just embroidering.

Poor Kitty- I suspect the King is waiting to see if she becomes pregnant since he would then know the child is his.

Mary Fitzroy sounds like fun at parties...

Mary Fitzroy sounds like fun at parties...
In fairness to Lady Fitzroy, she’s basically trying to hold her own against an incredibly fickle court she’s stuck in. She’s now attending Queen #3 in 4 years, with one being her cousin that got executed. Her father spends his time trying to use her like a pawn in his political games, despite her exalted status, and is currently pushing for a remarriage (once with her father-in-law) that she’s against. Unlike a Kitty and Charlie, who thrive playing games, she’s a fundamentally quiet and serious person who is deflecting everything…for now.

I may have plans for her.

#18 Dinnertime
Mary Lassells was incredibly put out to have been moved from the Queen’s ladies post-birth to the employ of the Duchess of Suffolk. Maybe it hadn’t been a smart move to call the King’s current mistress a “two-faced slut” in an argument on her first week at court, but Lady Cromwell was both an old enemy and very much worth of the title. Lassells remembered the gossip in the Duchess’ household. It was not a shock to find her making a cuckhold out of the King’s advisor.

What had been shocking was the Queen’s response. Recently churched and glowing with excitement, she had been most put out that her maids were fighting. So mad that she had thrown the troublesome Mary out of her household and threatened to have her married to a pig farmer up North if she didn’t stop carrying stories.

Lassells knew she had come highly praised by friends and family, which was probably why she wasn’t already home. Which, in her opinion, might have been better. Instead, here she was, at a far table from the royal family, sandwiched between the Duchess’ stepdaughter, the Baroness Monteagle, and one Jane Wyatt, whose husband had been making eyes at Mary since her arrival. Considering the obvious swell of pregnancy in the young woman’s stomach and her pointed glances, she guessed Jane was not oblivious to the situation. Across the table, the woman’s mother-in-law ignored the clear tension and gossiped about her absent husband with niece, a pretty girl who Mary thought extremely annoying.

But it was the royal family was her main interest. Up above them all, she watched the Queen bask in the glow of success, the little Duke of York propped up beside her on purple cushions. The King dangled his fingers above the infant and Mary squinted trying to tell if a chubby arm lifted up of if that was a trick of the light.

The Ladies Mary and Elizabeth were down further, with both sour looks on their faces. She had hoped her namesake would be as glorious as letters from court had made her sound. Mary remembered her mother calling the King’s eldest daughter an “angel”, before her death in childbirth. But instead of a beautiful, rosy Princess, Lassells saw a sullen, carrot-headed woman who looked much older from a distance. Her sister didn’t fair any better.

Then again, these were two sisters about to be separated.

“Mistress Lassells!” spoke Elizabeth Brooke (the senior), and Mary was forced out of her gawking.

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Oh please – call me Elizabeth! I just wanted to know if your brother has any news of Lord and Lady Cromwell’s marriage.”

“Yes,” spoke the younger Brooke woman, with a measure of contempt she longed to wipe off her face, “how are the happy couple?”

Mary sighed, saw nobody shared her disdain for gossip, and decided to give in.

“Lady Cromwell is a disgrace to her husband, and I am want to leave a court that would harbour a woman of such…light behaviour.”

Eye lit up around her, and the prickly and horribly Irish Honora Butler shouted from down the table,

“Speak up, girl!”

---

Elizabeth was most put out. Though both she and Mary were bound to marry for English favour, she hadn’t expected to leave first. It was horrible unfair, and when she had been warned the announcement would come tonight, she had bitten a cousin, Lady Boleyn, during the skirmish.

That hadn’t been entirely because of the news she was marrying to Saxony and would leave after Christmas. Lady Boleyn was very mean, and Elizabeth found her constant comments about her mother distasteful. Particularly when she’d cheerfully recount her time in the tower. But since she was rarely there, it was easy to pretend spiteful old lady didn’t exist when she wasn’t being visited by her favourite (great-)uncle, Sir James. It had just been unfortunate for the old woman that her presence had been so badly timed.

But here she and Mary were, sitting side by side, not talking.

“Elizabeth, I will come visit you.”

“When?”

Mary’s eyes slid over to Duke Philip, leaned over in conversation with a Portuguese traveller. A Catholic. Her father had asked him to stay a further six months, and she knew Mary hoped that might lead to something more. Elizabeth didn’t particularly care, and poked at her sister below the table. The older Tudor girl stifled a giggle and looked back.

“When everything is settled, silly girl! Now stop your pouting and smile – the King is watching.”

Elizabeth wondered what occur if the King did notice them talking seriously. Most other people were. And as she soon became aware, arguments were not uncommon amongst the people of the court.

Case and point, at this moment, two fights occurred.

On one side of the hall, one of the Austrians stood up and began berating Charlie Howard, who was clearly fuming and trying to move them outside. Her Kat – the new Lady Cromwell – cried hysterically as about five men and women were dragged out of the room. Amongst the noise, she could only hear one remark rise above the noise. A bellowing man with a silly hat and messy bear repeating “she is ruined” in French.

But more interesting to her Lady Suffolk slapping one of the boring women down amongst the lower tables. She’d risen very purposefully during the argument and barrelled through the crowd with amazing speed. Considering her tiny stature, Elizabeth couldn’t imagine it had hurt. But about seven more women then fled the room, and everything fell quiet again. Mary, to her right, had focused her attentions on a particularly tough piece of lamb on her plate, but Elizabeth turned to see her father looking extremely annoyed. They had taken little Henry William away. The mood had been firmly ruined for the big announcement.

---

Katherine Willoughby, now Lady Suffolk, had been brought up with two things in mind: her faith and her dignity. Slapping one of her maids had never been a considered part of that. But Mary Lassells – so highly praised – was proving to be an impossible fit in any part of the court. To hear that the ladies she had in her household were not just gossiping, but braying like fishwives, was humiliating.

“Mary Lassells, this is the last time you will ever do this again – do you understand me?”

At the sullen, pinched mouth nod she received in response, Katherine broke character yet again to slap her.

“I repeat: do you understand me?”

“Yes, I understand you, my lady.”

She turned to the other women, most with heads to the floor. Only her “daughter” kept eye contact, and Katherine wished it had all been easier than this. But it wasn’t her fault Lord Suffolk had married a girl younger than his own children. Her job wasn’t to make anyone happy but her husband and the King. Which, considering this mess, she was failing to do.

Waving away the other women, she looked long and hard at the diminuative Mary Lassells. Her hood was gabled – likely a castoff from her mother or a cousin. Her round face looked odd on her thin neck, but there was some prettiness to her features. If she could just be…calm, maybe she could have a career. Maybe even a decent husband. But Katherine just needed to know that she was willing to act like a lady.

“If you understand me, you’ll join me now in apologising to Lady Cromwell.”

“But I did not lie- “

“I don’t care, what you were doing disgraces her, it disgraces the court, and it disgraces me. You need to apologise to her immediately. Before any of this becomes too much a scandal.”

“I would rather die than apologise to Kitty Howard.”

Katherine sighed. There was just too much seething resentment here. Pure jealousy and rage basically poured out of the girl in front of her. Considering it all a lost cause, she shrugged her shoulders.

“Then you’ll die outside of my employ. I’ll let your brother know you are being dismissed from court as of tomorrow, and to prepare your things for travel.”

She turned away as the girl began to weep quietly and went to find Lady Cromwell.

---

Kitty was fuming. While her poor brother Henry tried to calm down the two foreign men screaming French at her brother, she and Charlie had found an empty room in which he could explain himself. But what he had to tell her was absolutely unforgivable.

“You crawled into her bed?” she screamed.

“I mean, just for a few moments. A minute at most. I was fully clothed.”

She hit him on the arm. Repeatedly

“When I said seduce her, I didn’t mean like this. Distract her. Woo her. Focus all of her attentions on you and away from the King.”

“Nothing happened!”

She stormed away from him and over to the fireplace. Kitty wondered what he saw when he looked at her. Her gown was quite fine, and embroidered with flowers and satyrs. Her husband had made a face when she’d put it on, which had quite ruined the excitement. But when Charlie looked at her, did he see the Countess before him? His sister was quite a powerful woman now. Well-credentialed and highly favoured. But she knew, behind her possibly tacky dress and jewels, she was still his sister. Still a girl.

“I know what happens when men crawl in girl’s sheets, Charlie.”

He shrugged at her, which made her grab something hard on the fireplace to throw at him. As it left her hands, she realised it was a playbox of some kind, and it barely seemed to reach him, let alone fly across the room like the arrow she’d envisioned. It was in this moment that Lady Suffolk, red faced and visibly disturbed, walked into the room.

“Lady Cromwell, I must apologise to you at once.”

“Apologise?”

Charlie gave her a sideways glance and stepped to the side, sliding the box beneath a chair. Despite herself, Kitty was grateful. No need for a woman so close to the King to know she and her brother had had an argument.

“Yes, I am so sorry. One of my ladies has been speaking ill of you and I have put a stop to it.”

She grabbed Kitty’s hands, and she became distracted. But not enough to prevent her from understanding. After a brief moment of looking at her hands in Lady Suffolk’s own, she raised her eyes and recognised what had been said.

“Was it Mary Lassells?”

Katherine Willoughby nodded, and Kitty suddenly felt like crying. It was all too much. Her blood had come today, confirming she wasn’t going to give the King a bastard, which had been somewhat of a relief. But had she been pregnant with his child, then maybe she’d be able to prevent his anger to Charlie. Or at least save herself from the poisoned tongue of her former roommate.

“Lady Cromwell, it is quite alright. I have dismissed Mary from my household.”

“What did she say?”

Lady Suffolk gulped, and Kitty shot Charlie a look to leave the room. She had a plan. When the woman didn’t answer, Kitty led her down to the stools by the fire.

“It’s quite okay. I’ve heard the worst she has to say about me. I just want to know what I’m up against.”

“She claimed you were…a woman of loose morals.”

Kitty knew that wasn’t just it. There would have been names. Allegations of fornication. Yes, she might be King Henry’s mistress, but she’d come to him as an unblemished flower. A slight lie would need to be told.

“Thank you for letting me know that, Katherine. I’ve only ever…known one man,” she let the implication hang for a second, “but sometimes rumours spread even when you just do your best to follow God. You understand, don’t you?”

Now, Kitty knew Lady Suffolk wasn’t stupid. The court knew she and the King had slept together. But she knew that tactfully admitting she hadn’t slept with Cromwell would switch interest. It wasn’t “Kitty Howard wasn’t a virgin when she arrived”, it was “Lord Cromwell is a cuckhold”, which suited her fine. Better for everyone to believe poorly of him and not of her.

They parted ways…not quite friends, but friendly. But Kitty was less worried about them as she was the mess her brother had made.

Returning to the hall, she saw as the King watched her with curious eyes, and saw Lady Suffolk had returned to her seat. Playing it composed, she smiled up at him, and was relieved to see a smile back. Not smiling, however, was the Queen.

Jeez, the court reminds me of a bitchy high school. If I were a nobleman in the 1540s, I’d just as rather not risk it and stay far away on my estates. Advancement be dammed.

Last edited:
Eh, Cromwell is a practical man. As the idea of him falling madly in love with Katherine Howard of all people is absurd he is probably reasonably pleased with this whole arrangement - as the man who not only delivered Henry's longed for second son, but also is conveniently providing his wife as the royal mistress, his place as Chief Minister is as secure as it could ever be. Being the subject of court mockery won't be pleasant but it's a small price to pay for job security.

Last edited:
#19 Two "Wedding" and a Funeral New
Thomas Cromwell had practically dragged the Lady Elizabeth out of her bed himself to have her join the Saxon party on their way out of England and onto their ships. The little red-haired child had screamed that she had “but too much pain in my gut”, despite having been caught sneaking candied lemons from a bowl mere hours before. Her face had gone red with anger, but eventually, she’d been dressed and carried to her carriage. Not even the King had shown her much sympathy, merely kissing his hand and placing it on her forehead. She’d mostly calmed down by that point, but the Queen had started to cry with her when she’d begged,

“Please, father, don’t send me away.”

But, for the good of his alliance, Cromwell had negotiated this (quite frankly extraordinary) match, and the tender heart of a child would not stop it. Whether that heart belonged to the unwilling bride, or his increasingly presumptuous wife, was up for debate.

Kitty had begged on the girl’s behalf for respite, before switching focus and begging on her brother’s behalf. Apparently, that business with the Austrian girl in the Queen’s household had come to a head, and the little, brown-eyed monster named Charlie Howard had been given two options: marry Philippine Welser, or leave the court. Up until this morning, he had been leaving with the Saxons. But then, the King himself had intervened, and his brother had wed a girl of 13 in the wee hours of the night. The Duke of York’s younger song had taken his place in Elizabeth’s entourage.

Not a single soul was happy with this outcome. Least of all Philippine. But, as his Countess had quietly affirmed to herself as they left the shaking bride and miserable groom to sit awkwardly on the bed spared for the special occasion,

“At least her reputation is clean.”

She had apparently no fears about her heart or soul.

Following that…exciting evening, Kitty had stood beside him and blown his cousin kisses. Elizabeth had begged for “Kat” to come with her, but despite her distress, Kitty had stayed beside him. Head held in her hands. Never before had an English bride been so unhappily sent off. Except Philippine the night before.

Which was why his wife’s disappearance once they’d returned to London had been so easy to miss.

Cromwell spent his days at his business, and his nights at his cot. Now that apparently everyone knew him to be a cuckhold, it was only his meagre sense of pride that kept Kitty in the bed and himself away from it. But for the past week, she’d been gone. Her – their – ward, Annie Stafford, had been sent away to a manor the King had gifted them some week ago, to be raised in the quiet countryside. His life was much like it had been before, and he was grateful for the reprieve. Particularly when both the King and Queen had started to eye him down angrily during dinners. His gift of cherries to the Queen’s quarters had been fed to her pigs, according to a particularly nasty message from the disagreeable Lady Rochford.

At least with Kitty gone, he rested well.

But alas, she had returned, and stood in front of him holding a baby.

“You hid that well, ma’am.” he sighed, as she settled herself down beside the fire with the red faced infant in her arms.

“Oh don’t make jokes, Lord Husband,” she held the child up to his view, “this is our new ward: Edmund.”

“So, Mary Boleyn finally popped out another Stafford bastard.”

She glared at him, and he just rolled his eyes. He didn’t need to like anyone for her sake. Least of all Anne Boleyn’s sister, who had never been particularly pleasant towards him. His sympathy for her had been spent when his wife had taken on the little girl. But an infant was altogether too much.

“We can take on the wardship of the boy when he’s older. Better equipped for training. Able to walk.”

“I can’t send him back.”

“I can.”

“No, I’m serious, we can’t.”

It was then that he noticed the details of Kitty he’d missed upon her arrival. The puffy eyes and red nose. A slump to her shoulders. The rattiness of little Edmund’s wrapping.

“What happened?”

Her lips pinched, she nodded to the maid at the door, who collected the child and took him into a room beside theirs. The door swinging revealed a humble cradle had been dragged in. She must had brought the set up with her.

“Mary died before I even made it back, Thomas.”

Thomas? She’s never called me Thomas.

“Kitty…”

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Mary was an older mother. It was always risky to try again after her last babe died so young. But when I’d written to her, she seemed so hopeful. I promised her we’d always be there to help. And then, while we were away from the city…silence. She died in the week we were away.”

He didn’t want to be sympathetic. This woman was making a cuckhold of him. But involuntarily, he sat in the chair beside her and absentmindedly rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb.

“How was her husband?”

Her eyebrows scrunched, and she snorted. He guessed William Stafford had not proved as gallant as the stories had told.

“I hope she never saw him how I saw him. Half her clothes were packed and ready to sell before I even got there. He tried to convince me to buy a set of rings the King had given her years ago. Then he made me pay to take Edmund away.”

“You paid for the child?”

“For his wardship. Nearly £500 for the rights to his second son – and the promise of £5 a month towards the care of his eldest boy in Calais. I did that without a second thought. Mary had told me poor Edward was never well. Maybe that money will go towards doctors.”

That was a significant amount of money. Cromwell shuddered to think what people would say if they found out. But clearly, money had not been the driving force behind his wife’s actions.

“What killed her?”

“Childbirth,” Kitty looked up at him, “she fell asleep during labour and never woke up. They cut him out of her.”

Kitty rubbed her stomach fretfully, and Cromwell didn’t bother asking. His wife and the King had been sleeping together for months now. A pregnancy was basically impossible to avoid. But still, he pressed her a little.

“Like you said, Mary Boleyn was quite old to have a-“

She interrupted his thought with a kiss, and Cromwell went completely limp. As she uselessly pawed at his doublet and breeches, he waited until she came up for air, and realising how ridiculous the scene was, broke down into hysterical laughter. He pulled her into a bitter embrace, and the two eventually laid together in the same bed for the first time. Still well apart, but closer in spirit.

Thomas Cromwell had practically dragged the Lady Elizabeth out of her bed himself to have her join the Saxon party on their way out of England and onto their ships. The little red-haired child had screamed that she had “but too much pain in my gut”, despite having been caught sneaking candied lemons from a bowl mere hours before. Her face had gone red with anger, but eventually, she’d been dressed and carried to her carriage. Not even the King had shown her much sympathy, merely kissing his hand and placing it on her forehead. She’d mostly calmed down by that point, but the Queen had started to cry with her when she’d begged,

“Please, father, don’t send me away.”

But, for the good of his alliance, Cromwell had negotiated this (quite frankly extraordinary) match, and the tender heart of a child would not stop it. Whether that heart belonged to the unwilling bride, or his increasingly presumptuous wife, was up for debate.

Kitty had begged on the girl’s behalf for respite, before switching focus and begging on her brother’s behalf. Apparently, that business with the Austrian girl in the Queen’s household had come to a head, and the little, brown-eyed monster named Charlie Howard had been given two options: marry Philippine Welser, or leave the court. Up until this morning, he had been leaving with the Saxons. But then, the King himself had intervened, and his brother had wed a girl of 13 in the wee hours of the night. The Duke of York’s younger song had taken his place in Elizabeth’s entourage.

Not a single soul was happy with this outcome. Least of all Philippine. But, as his Countess had quietly affirmed to herself as they left the shaking bride and miserable groom to sit awkwardly on the bed spared for the special occasion,

“At least her reputation is clean.”

She had apparently no fears about her heart or soul.

Following that…exciting evening, Kitty had stood beside him and blown his cousin kisses. Elizabeth had begged for “Kat” to come with her, but despite her distress, Kitty had stayed beside him. Head held in her hands. Never before had an English bride been so unhappily sent off. Except Philippine the night before.

Which was why his wife’s disappearance once they’d returned to London had been so easy to miss.

Cromwell spent his days at his business, and his nights at his cot. Now that apparently everyone knew him to be a cuckhold, it was only his meagre sense of pride that kept Kitty in the bed and himself away from it. But for the past week, she’d been gone. Her – their – ward, Annie Stafford, had been sent away to a manor the King had gifted them some week ago, to be raised in the quiet countryside. His life was much like it had been before, and he was grateful for the reprieve. Particularly when both the King and Queen had started to eye him down angrily during dinners. His gift of cherries to the Queen’s quarters had been fed to her pigs, according to a particularly nasty message from the disagreeable Lady Rochford.

At least with Kitty gone, he rested well.

“You hid that well, ma’am.” he sighed, as she settled herself down beside the fire with the red faced infant in her arms.

“Oh don’t make jokes, Lord Husband,” she held the child up to his view, “this is our new ward: Edmund.”

“So, Mary Boleyn finally popped out another Stafford bastard.”

She glared at him, and he just rolled his eyes. He didn’t need to like anyone for her sake. Least of all Anne Boleyn’s sister, who had never been particularly pleasant towards him. His sympathy for her had been spent when his wife had taken on the little girl. But an infant was altogether too much.

“We can take on the wardship of the boy when he’s older. Better equipped for training. Able to walk.”

“I can’t send him back.”

“I can.”

“No, I’m serious, we can’t.”

It was then that he noticed the details of Kitty he’d missed upon her arrival. The puffy eyes and red nose. A slump to her shoulders. The rattiness of little Edmund’s wrapping.

“What happened?”

Her lips pinched, she nodded to the maid at the door, who collected the child and took him into a room beside theirs. The door swinging revealed a humble cradle had been dragged in. She must had brought the set up with her.

“Mary died before I even made it back, Thomas.”

Thomas? She’s never called me Thomas.

“Kitty…”

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Mary was an older mother. It was always risky to try again after her last babe died so young. But when I’d written to her, she seemed so hopeful. I promised her we’d always be there to help. And then, while we were away from the city…silence. She died in the week we were away.”

He didn’t want to be sympathetic. This woman was making a cuckhold of him. But involuntarily, he sat in the chair beside her and absentmindedly rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb.

“How was her husband?”

Her eyebrows scrunched, and she snorted. He guessed William Stafford had not proved as gallant as the stories had told.

“I hope she never saw him how I saw him. Half her clothes were packed and ready to sell before I even got there. He tried to convince me to buy a set of rings the King had given her years ago. Then he made me pay to take Edmund away.”

“You paid for the child?”

“For his wardship. Nearly £500 for the rights to his second son – and the promise of £5 a month towards the care of his eldest boy in Calais. I did that without a second thought. Mary had told me poor Edward was never well. Maybe that money will go towards doctors.”

That was a significant amount of money. Cromwell shuddered to think what people would say if they found out. But clearly, money had not been the driving force behind his wife’s actions.

“What killed her?”

“Childbirth,” Kitty looked up at him, “she fell asleep during labour and never woke up. They cut him out of her.”

Kitty rubbed her stomach fretfully, and Cromwell didn’t bother asking. His wife and the King had been sleeping together for months now. A pregnancy was basically impossible to avoid. But still, he pressed her a little.

“Like you said, Mary Boleyn was quite old to have a-“

She interrupted his thought with a kiss, and Cromwell went completely limp. As she uselessly pawed at his doublet and breeches, he waited until she came up for air, and realising how ridiculous the scene was, broke down into hysterical laughter. He pulled her into a bitter embrace, and the two eventually laid together in the same bed for the first time. Still well apart, but closer in spirit.
If they can't be lovers, maybe they can be allies...

Got me feeling sorry for just about everybody in this chapter.

"You hid that well, ma'am." I cackled. Cromwell is So Tired.

But then, the King himself had intervened, and his brother had wed a girl of 13 in the wee hours of the night. The Duke of York’s younger song had taken his place in Elizabeth’s entourage.
By the King do you mean Henry VIII? Because he didn’t have any brothers and I thought the Duke of York was a baby who didn’t have any sons?