A Storm Unending

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had trouble getting it passed, not actually paying for it, they had the financial resources on a national level, just getting the Reichstag to pay for them was the problem

Sorry if that was unclear

okay, I see what you are saying now. But based on my readings from Holger H. Herwig's book 'Luxury Fleet', The Imperial German Navy 1888–1918 the German I was under the impression that Germany was facing a budget deficit which was one of the major reasons why the Reichstag was reluctant to pass the Novelle. The book was written back in 1980, so maybe it has out of date information.

okay, I see what you are saying now. But based on my readings from Holger H. Herwig's book 'Luxury Fleet', The Imperial German Navy 1888–1918 the German I was under the impression that Germany was facing a budget deficit which was one of the major reasons why the Reichstag was reluctant to pass the Novelle. The book was written back in 1980, so maybe it has out of date information.
Well Germany had a proportionally lower military budget than France, so make of that what you will, this was not easy for them but without massive changes they could afford an OTL fleet without US help

I don't have sources beyond discussions in Post 1900

I'm tempted to have a few first person and third person accounts of events along with the usual history book exerts. What does everybody think? yay or nay?

Great TL! As a German American I can't help but smile!
It's interesting to think about the future though. Especially if the UK is in revolution after the war, as it will leave Germany and the US as the worlds two leading industrial powers, and those never seem to get along well...

I'm tempted to have a few first person and third person accounts of events along with the usual history book exerts. What does everybody think? yay or nay?

I say go for it if you want to. The history book updates are very good and interesting, but it's always nice to get a 'look on the ground', so to speak.

Great TL! As a German American I can't help but smile!
It's interesting to think about the future though. Especially if the UK is in revolution after the war, as it will leave Germany and the US as the worlds two leading industrial powers, and those never seem to get along well...

Thanks, glad you like it. Things will still be interesting after the British revolution I can guarantee it.

?Any chance of a map of SAmerica border changes?

I'll post the map after the next update, because there will be more changes outside of South America.

Good update. It'll be interesting to see how this new China develops. But I would think that Japan would be rather alarmed by a modernizing China, even if it is a potential counterweight to Russia. After all, a China that has fully modernized to the same level as Japan will squash Japan like a bug, and both have to know that.

Good update. It'll be interesting to see how this new China develops. But I would think that Japan would be rather alarmed by a modernizing China, even if it is a potential counterweight to Russia. After all, a China that has fully modernized to the same level as Japan will squash Japan like a bug, and both have to know that.

True, but with Russia and Britain both being opposed to Japan TTL and presenting a far greater immediate threat the Japanese are making a reasonable choice here, IMO, in supporting a stronger China.

Excellent update once again

Vielen Dank (if bing translate is right then that should be thank you in German).

Indeed Japan will be worried by China in the years to come, but at the moment Russia, Britain, and France are far greater threats. The Russians hold sway over Manchuria and Korea and as stated in the update this is like a gun pointed at the head of Japan and is their number one concern; the British and French threaten to prevent Japan from expanding southwards. A modernized China or even a partially modernized China will be able to protect Japan and take some the pressure off of Japan by threatening Manchuria, Indochina, and Burma.

I'm pretty sure that I've made the map about as accurate as possible with my limited map making skills. The year of the map is 1910, so the US borders will be explained in the next update.

A Storm.png

"…The Nihon press was reflecting a quieter attitude than its American counterpart and believed in the sincerity of President Roosevelt. And while the two governments worked for peace it seemed the people of the Pacific coast were bent on driving Nihon and the United States to war. Even as the San Francisco School board refused to back down the President stated he would use all the forces in his power to protect the Nihon people. On January 8th of 1907 several Nihon nationals, reporters covering the Filipino insurrection, were shot by Spanish solders for “assisting rebel elements”. The move by the Spanish could not have come at a worse time for the United State. With Nihon-American relations in the worst shape in years the United States was in no way able to capitalize on the event and take action against the Spanish in Cuba even though a third revolution had begun less than a year earlier…"

This makes very little sense. Why is this the "worse time for the United States" for an event like this to occur. In reality this would be the best thing possible for the US. Roosevelt is no fool. He's already looking for a way to show the Japanese that California's racist (and arguably unconstitutional) law is an unwanted unilateral move that does not reflect national policy. He's also looking for reason to confront Spain on the issue of Cuba. This new crisis offers the best of both worlds for the US. By showing their immediate support for Japan's position in the Philippines they put Spain in a very precarious situation and regain good relations with Japan. Spain is forced to accept some very embarrassing concessions concerning their sovereignty over the Philippines and Cuba or risk war with both Japan and the US. This is a win-win for Japan and the US while putting Spain in a very precarious situation. How could someone as politically experienced as T.R. not see this?

It is more than likely that Roosevelt would recognize the Republic of the Philippines just days after the Japanese did so and then offer mediation of the conflict with starting terms very similar to those achieved by Japan by way of war. Spain would almost certainly refuse and either declare war on the US as well or give the US a casus belli to declare war on Spain. Spain has essential no international allies at this time and so there is very little for the US to risk and so much to gain.

Benjamin

"…The Nihon press was reflecting a quieter attitude than its American counterpart and believed in the sincerity of President Roosevelt. And while the two governments worked for peace it seemed the people of the Pacific coast were bent on driving Nihon and the United States to war. Even as the San Francisco School board refused to back down the President stated he would use all the forces in his power to protect the Nihon people. On January 8th of 1907 several Nihon nationals, reporters covering the Filipino insurrection, were shot by Spanish solders for “assisting rebel elements”. The move by the Spanish could not have come at a worse time for the United State. With Nihon-American relations in the worst shape in years the United States was in no way able to capitalize on the event and take action against the Spanish in Cuba even though a third revolution had begun less than a year earlier…"

This makes very little sense. Why is this the "worse time for the United States" for an event like this to occur. In reality this would be the best thing possible for the US. Roosevelt is no fool. He's already looking for a way to show the Japanese that California's racist (and arguably unconstitutional) law is an unwanted unilateral move that does not reflect national policy. He's also looking for reason to confront Spain on the issue of Cuba. This new crisis offers the best of both worlds for the US. By showing their immediate support for Japan's position in the Philippines they put Spain in a very precarious situation and regain good relations with Japan. Spain is forced to accept some very embarrassing concessions concerning their sovereignty over the Philippines and Cuba or risk war with both Japan and the US. This is a win-win for Japan and the US while putting Spain in a very precarious situation. How could someone as politically experienced as T.R. not see this?

It is more than likely that Roosevelt would recognize the Republic of the Philippines just days after the Japanese did so and then offer mediation of the conflict with starting terms very similar to those achieved by Japan by way of war. Spain would almost certainly refuse and either declare war on the US as well or give the US a casus belli to declare war on Spain. Spain has essential no international allies at this time and so there is very little for the US to risk and so much to gain.

Benjamin

I see the validity of your argument, and by having Spain declare war on the US it would circumvent the anti-Japanese feelings because it would make Spain the aggressor; even the Californians would have to shut up about Japan. All righty, I may have been a tad bit blinded by my desire to have Spain retain Cuba but your argument and the number of TR biographies that I have both purchased and barrowed from the library have shown that my initial idea was flawed. I will amend the last update at the earliest possible moment (probably later in the day or early tomorrow as I’ll have to pull some books on the Spanish-American war seeing as I only have one).

Status
Not open for further replies.