A Sporting Chance

What alternate Sports Moments could lead to changes in the world they happen in, From highly unlikely (borderline ASB) to the "Oh Yeah That could happen"

I'll start with

Joe Louis Looking to revenge his previous defeat charges out at Max Schmeling. Schmeling out of pure fear lets loose a haymaker and it connects. Louis is KO'd almost immediately. The US is stunned. Nazi Germany is exultant. Roosevelt falls into despair and his illness gets worse and he dies. Axis wins World War II (Yeah I know the last parts a Stretch)

Next

No Baseball Strike in 1994 leads to the Montreal Expos winning the World Series. The boost to Quebecois Pride leads to the "Oui" vote winning in 1995 and Quebec separates from Canada

Interesting idea for a thread.

I wonder if England winning Euro 96 might have had eventual impacts somewhere? Obvious one to wonder about is the '97 election, but that was pretty much a forgone conclusion by that point anyway.

One I've thought about before, is if there was no Heysel Stadium disaster, and therefore no subsequent ban of English teams from Europe, there would be other cultural effects (obvious one is the hooligan culture lasting longer).

The All-American Girls Professional Baseball League becomes a success and leads to an earlier feminist movement in 50s

Maybe a worse event at a future Football match due to no regulations
and punishments after Heysel?

US would recall the Eric Heiden Olympics of 1980. Possibly less Ice Hockey teams in the USA. Gretsky stays in Edmonton and eventually get elected Prime Minister of the Great White North

Getting England and Argentina to play at WC 1982 could lead to some political butterflies.

Hell, if they qualified for '78 then that would have lead to some definite ramifications.

Or getting Italy to bow out early at the first two World Cups.

Another football one would be if West Germany had lost the 1954 world cup final as expected to Hungary (instead of winning from 2-0 down as happened in OTL giving the Hungarians the only defeat they would suffer in a six year period from 1950-56) both in terms of giving communism a potential propaganda victory and potentially changing the timing/ events of the 1956 Hungarian uprising. It may also have some effect on the West German economic miracle given the comments I have seen in some documentaries about this result contributing to it, which also makes sense considering the role that confidence often has in economic matters.