A Short History of the Australiërs.

The fourth section.

1725: Since the discovery of New Holland and especially since the establishment of the colony the western coast had been thoroughly surveyed and François Thijssen's voyage along the southern coast had been followed up with Dutch charts now showing the Great Southern Bight to a reasonable degree of detail, though nothing beyond that until Van Diemans Land, which had been discovered by Abel Tasman. However they are still unaware of if and where the Great Eastern Desert ends and Captain Stephan van der Valk is dispatched east to further chart the southern coast past where Thijssen had turned back.

1726: Driven to exasperation by the conduct of the VOC Morne du Plessis the runner of a large sheep flock on the frontier who has run afoul of de Jong policies gathers together a group of like minded men to escape this oppression. Violent resistance is soon dismissed, not only is the majority of the population unwilling to fight, but they would loose against the might of the VOC. Instead he argues they should depart for somewhere else where they can be free to live as they please without having anyone tell them how to treat the Natives and which crops to plant where (de Jong is trying to build up the wine industry be making people with appropriate land for viticulture use it). While they can't be free of the VOC in this part of the continent its reach is not infinite and he decides to Trek elsewhere. Captain van der Valk having returned at the start of the year he is aware of the discovery of fertile land past the end of the Great Eastern Desert where a large river empties into the sea on the north-eastern side of the Great Southern Bight.

7th August 1726: du Plessis and the 53 pioneers rendezvous at on a deserted beach [Preston Beach, WA] 60 miles south of New Rotterdam with as much of their goods, flocks and herds as they can manage in order to head beyond the reach of de Jong. There they load themselves onto the Drommedaris, a ship owned by a local merchant sympathetic to their aims and sail east. He has secured a copy of can der Valks chart from another sympathiser who was set to copying it by de Jong with this to guide them they set out.

23rd August 1726: du Plessis arrives at what he christens Bevryding (Deliverance) and despite being unable to speak the local language he manages to persuade one of the local Aboriginals to mark a contract he has drawn up. In return gives the man a chest of goods, he thus purchases all the lands between the Ocean and the Grevelingen [Murrary] River to the east and has a witnessed contract to prove it. He and his comrades unload Drommedaris their wagons, their best cattle and sheep which they have brought with them and establish themselves. The Drommedaris returns to New Holland for their families, next group of pioneers and more supplies. One advantage of the policies of the VOC is that de Jong does not have a ship and can't react quickly to this affront as he can't transport himself and his small garrison east, nor can he commander any of the passing VOC ships but needs to petition Batavia to launch an expedition. He does not receive authorisation as a rebellion has flared up on Java and most of his garrison is actually withdrawn and forces cannot be spared to reign in a group of lunatics who are probably better off out of New Holland.

1730: A further 400 people make the journey to the Bevryding Republiek, mostly drawn from the frontier sheep and cattle herders who especially resent the new VOC policy. Despite considerable fighting against the local Aborigines after they realise what exactly du Plessis intends the for them. Aided by disease and their prior experience fighting in the west they are victorious though not without casualties.
By 1730 the initial purchase of land between the the sea and Grevelingen [Murray] River is secured and the town of Nieuwstadt [Adelaide, South Australia] established. Immigration coupled with natural increase means the Republic now has a population of just over 560 while New Holland's population has remained static due to the exodus.
In order to distinguish the continent from the VOC colony in the west the citizens of the Bevryding Republiek begin referring to the continent as Australië, a corruption of Terra Australis, the Latin name for the great southern continent that had long been theorised and most residents of New Holland thought they inhabited.

1731: On his third journey of exploration Captain van der Valk circumnavigates the continent surveying the coast up to the already known Janszoon Penninsular [Cape York Penninsular] in some detail. On his journey he sails by and spies on, though does not stop at, Nieuwstadt. He reports back to de Jong's replacement Fredrick de Vlamingh that the new settlement appears to be small and quite meagre, disputing the reports that had been spread among the general population by the pioneers. What van der Valk does not realise is that this is due to most of the settlers being graziers rather than settled farmers meaning that instead of Nieuwstadt being surrounded by a mass of small arable farms like New Rotterdam there are only a small number of farms and most of the population live in their wagons following their cattle herds.
However his inaccurate report is what the VOC wants to hear and they are confident that the Republic will soon collapse without them having to exert themselves. The VOC is also delighted by his reports of the size and extent of the continent, especially that the eastern half appears much wetter and more fertile than the mostly desert west. While it has no intention of settling this area as it is a trading company it does send the report back to Amsterdam. However the desire of both the VOC and the government of the Netherlands to keeps the discoveries secret for fear of other powers taking advantage means that van der Valks charts do not gain widespread distribution anywhere.

1734: Long aware that the VOC had established a foothold in New Holland (as it is marked on British charts) the British East India Company (BEIC) had previously sent William Dampier to chart the western coast in 1701 but had done little since. After hearing of the establishment of the Bevryding Republiek in the east on lands that do not appear on its charts it finally gets round to dispatching another survey. Captain Patrick Matheson's Excalibur is instructed to find and make contact with the break away Republic and improve the BEIC charts of the southern coast.

July 1734: Running low on water Matheson is delighted to spot Nieuwstadt and quickly approaches the town and weighs anchor on the 11th. He is initially greeted with hostility from the inhabitants as they were not expecting a ship as their clandestine trade contacts (due to the VOC's embargo) generally only arrive at the end of October to collect the wool clip. After explaining his purpose he begins to establish relations with the locals, the fiercely independent Bevrydingers are initially deeply sceptical but it is agreed that the BEIC will start trading with them. They are in desperate need of tools and supplies which they cannot make themselves and the sale of wool, leather and the Nieuw Hoopers excellent charts seems a good bargain.
Matheson departs at the end up the month resupplied and with the first instalment of the much superior Dutch charts. On arrival in Madras he is lauded for the success of his mission. While trade with the Republic is not likely to yield much profit the charts and the annoyance it will cause the VOC make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Nice. The Murray is a handy highway into the continent.

the British won't be interested until they loose the American colonies in anything more than trade opportunities, and sticking it the eye of the V.O.C.
Portugal, Spain and France also have colonies closer to home. However once the French lose their North American possessions they could see Australia as a potential alternative despite its distance. They may not Know of the Murray river settlements but no doubt they do know of the Swan River one...so potential exists for them to be of interest during the mid '60's. Bougainville could turn south upon reaching the Great Barrier reef instead of north in search of getting a better look at these territories and inadvertently explore the east coast of Australia happening upon the Bevryding republic in the process. Unlike the British, the French will most certainly offer them direct protection from the V.O.C. for some small concessions of course.

Depends on the course of his explorations. Then there will be La Perouse later. Bougainville did speculate that there were islands beyond the reef, and knowing that a VOC settlement exists further west and to the south, he may elect to follow up on that.

No doubt there will, with the existence of the Bevryding republic be greater interest by the V.O.C./Dutch and the French in Tasmania and Nieuw Zeeland or Australie-Est/Aoutaire in the mid century period. Nieuw Zeeland/Aoutaire could end up developed more like Dutch Indonesia instead. Settlers on South island but a hybrid Maori/Settler protectorate in the north.

Whether any of this survives an alternate Great French War is of course up for discussion.

The British won't be interested until they loose the American colonies in anything more than trade opportunities, and sticking it the eye of the V.O.C.
Portugal, Spain and France also have colonies closer to home. However once the French lose their North American possessions they could see Australia as a potential alternative despite its distance.

The Americas is everyone's main focus, but who says that things are going to pan out like OTL. We are now 80 years after the POD and while the initial butterflies were very small (it really is a tiny colony that no one else knows about for the first 20 years) they have built up sufficiently that Wolfe and Montcalm are not going to be meeting on the Plains of Abraham in 1759. That said someone is going to lose (or win less) in the struggle for North America and is going to start looking elsewhere.

No doubt there will, with the existence of the Bevryding republic be greater interest by the V.O.C./Dutch and the French in Tasmania and Nieuw Zeeland or Australie-Est/Aoutaire in the mid century period. Nieuw Zeeland/Aoutaire could end up developed more like Dutch Indonesia instead.

Oceania is much more on the map in this tl than OTL, both literally i.e. more has been explored and mentally.

Interesting. What's the total colonial population of Australia at this time?

There are about 600 people in Bevryding and about 4200 in New Holland in 1734. I have used the population growth rate of South Africa -20% for my guide, it really is a very long way away and most of the people who visit are sailors from the VOC not settlers and more importantly not women. The number of male settlers is largely irrelevant, in the absence of European women they will either merge into the native population (Metis) or simply go home after a few years (most French settlers in New France).

Also I have been blogged about by MerryPrankster which is nice.

Last edited:
Heh, this is cool! I hope to see more, and I also hope it won't fade into irrelevance like other timelines I've followed. Subscribed!

The Americas is everyone's main focus, but who says that things are going to pan out like OTL. We are now 80 years after the POD and while the initial butterflies were very small (it really is a tiny colony that no one else knows about for the first 20 years) they have built up sufficiently that Wolfe and Montcalm are not going to be meeting on the Plains of Abraham in 1759. That said someone is going to lose (or win less) in the struggle for North America and is going to start looking elsewhere.

Oceania is much more on the map in this tl than OTL, both literally i.e. more has been explored and mentally.

There are about 600 people in Bevryding and about 4200 in New Holland in 1734. I have used the population growth rate of South Africa -20% for my guide, it really is a very long way away and most of the people who visit are sailors from the VOC not settlers and more importantly not women. The number of male settlers is largely irrelevant, in the absence of European women they will either merge into the native population (Metis) or simply go home after a few years (most French settlers in New France).

Also I have been blogged about by MerryPrankster which is nice.

Its 80 yrs after your POD so its impossible for you to keep the existence of the V.O.C. colony in West Australia secret. Interaction between French, British and even Scandinavian and German merchants with merchants in the Dutch republic that deal directly with or indirectly with the VOC will no doubt have spread the existence of said colony even if the specifics themselves are unknown.

As to north America...interesting developments you have planned I guess, though I wait in anticipation then.

No they know about it now (1730's) and its on all the maps and such like but at first (10-15 years) it was relatively unknown and not on all or even most maps. Remember this is long before the age of instant communications it took a very long time for knowledge of things like maps to spread. That was why most parts of the globe were explored separately by all the European powers, just because one company/country knew doesn't mean everyone knows.

Last edited:
I like this TL and would love to see more. A Dutch or at least a Dutch speaking, which could develop into a separate language, if they are conquered and the ties with the old motherland were broken (like what happened with South Africa IOTL).
Why would they get conquered? Thay are far away in a non relevant part of the world that has been considered part of the Dutch sphere of influence. It is not like the Cape Colony, which was an extremely important halfway station to both India and Indonesia. The colony is barely profitable to anyone and would be completely useless to anyone but the Dutch. So I assume it remains a Dutch colony. The Bevryding Republiek might be a different case, although I suspect they either remain independent or get absorbed by the Netherlands whenthey get into a problem they can't get themselves out of, but my guess is independence.

Why would they get conquered? Thay are far away in a non relevant part of the world that has been considered part of the Dutch sphere of influence. It is not like the Cape Colony, which was an extremely important halfway station to both India and Indonesia. The colony is barely profitable to anyone and would be completely useless to anyone but the Dutch. So I assume it remains a Dutch colony. The Bevryding Republiek might be a different case, although I suspect they either remain independent or get absorbed by the Netherlands whenthey get into a problem they can't get themselves out of, but my guess is independence.

I obviously can't get into too many details but suffice to say one of my major aims of this tl is to make *Australian history much more interesting than otl. This isn't just going to be otl Australia but speaking Dutch and settled earlier.

I live in Australia and despite being a pom love the country but no country has as dull and uneventful story as Australia. No civil wars, no invasions, no Little Big Horns or Isandlwanas, no contesting colonial powers, no coups, nothing. Even New Zealand had the Land Wars.
The biggest political controversy is the Whitlam sacking, an event that was really pretty minor by international standards. The biggest attacks on Australia is either the arrival of the First Fleet or the Japanese bombing of Darwin which was on such a tiny scale that it doesn't make it into most histories.

I obviously can't get into too many details but suffice to say one of my major aims of this tl is to make *Australian history much more interesting than otl. This isn't just going to be otl Australia but speaking Dutch and settled earlier.

I live in Australia and despite being a pom love the country but no country has as dull and uneventful story as Australia. No civil wars, no invasions, no Little Big Horns or Isandlwanas, no contesting colonial powers, no coups, nothing. Even New Zealand had the Land Wars.
The biggest political controversy is the Whitlam sacking, an event that was really pretty minor by international standards. The biggest attacks on Australia is either the arrival of the First Fleet or the Japanese bombing of Darwin which was on such a tiny scale that it doesn't make it into most histories.

Our History is more interesting then that we have had the Rum Rebellion, Pemilwuy, Eureka Stockade and Ned Kelly

I guess that's to compensate for your really deadly flora and fauna. :p And it really doesn't help that Australia doesn't have many geopolitical rivals - and for most of its history it never had an independent foreign policy.

Our History is more interesting then that we have had the Rum Rebellion, Pemilwuy, Eureka Stockade and Ned Kelly

Australia is a great and happy country precisely because relatively minor things take up such space in its history. Would a strike turned violent like Eureka figure noticeably in German history? No because it would be overshadowed by other more terrible events. I fully subscribe to the Chinese saying that living in interesting times is a curse and would extend it to saying that having "interesting" history is not desirable. Countries like America (slavery, ACW, Jim Crow...), Germany (...), France (5 Republic, 3 Kingdoms, 2 Empires) etc... have a lot of history and it scars them to this day, Australians should be happy that they don't carry that historical baggage.

Australia is a great and happy country precisely because relatively minor things take up such space in its history. Would a strike turned violent like Eureka figure noticeably in German history? No because it would be overshadowed by other more terrible events. I fully subscribe to the Chinese saying that living in interesting times is a curse and would extend it to saying that having "interesting" history is not desirable. Countries like America (slavery, ACW, Jim Crow...), Germany (...), France (5 Republic, 3 Kingdoms, 2 Empires) etc... have a lot of history and it scars them to this day, Australians should be happy that they don't carry that historical baggage.

It's also because you're not an old country. :p

Chapter Five

1734-1740: Despite the wishes of some VOC bureaucrats conditions are loosened in New Holland in order to appease the population and prevent them deserting to Bevryding. This comes at the expense of the Aborigines as the frontier once more advances and sheep and cattle runs expand again. This, plus the continued growth of the wine industry means New Holland finally turns a steady profit for the VOC and trade with Cape Town and Batavia picks up as more ships choose to stop off at New Rotterdam. This lessens dissatisfaction and cuts down departures to Bevryding to a trickle which is more than offset by new migrants, though immigration is only at around one hundred people a year.
Hampered by its distance from Europe and the continued embargo by the VOC the Bevryding Republiek has barely any contact with the outside world severely restricting trade and immigration. The Republic is deeply dissatisfied with its dependence on the BEIC and the few independent traders operating in the Indian Ocean who are able to charge outrageous prices for any import and price out potential settlers from reaching Australië. To remedy this a small brig has recently been built in Nieuwstadt, funded on a joint stock basis by most of the leading figures in the state. The Overvloed will operate from Nieuwstadt and trade around the Indian Ocean providing the Republic with an outlet to the world. Despite these restrictions the colony is stable and growing, in recent years its population has been boosted by a series of arrivals from the Cape where relations between the Afrikaners and the VOC are growing steadily worse as the VOC struggles to maintain it as a simple resupply point against the wishes of the Afrikaners who wish to expand into the hinterland.
Bevrydings form of libertarian democracy with almost all power on the hands of the Volksraad made up of male heads of households is largely successful and in the absence of major crises and periodic trouble with the Aboriginals can be dealt with by the settlers now that gunpowder is being manufactured is sufficient quantities that firearms are once more plentiful and practical.

1741: Driven by a desire to compete with the Dutch in the lucrative spice trade and the need for a military base nearby Britain decides to establish a presence in what they are beginning to call Australy, the translation of the Bevrydingers Australië and also a corruption of the latin Terra Australis. The area chosen is the northern-western coast in the region first charted by William Dampier 50 years earlier. The initial site [Derby, Western Australia] is quickly abandoned as the massive spring tide swamp the camp. A second attempt on the other side of the Dampier Peninsular is more successful and Fort Portland [Broome, Western Australia] established. While it will struggle for the first few years it's use as naval base closer to Java and the East Indies than anything else in British hands ensures persistence.

February 1743: Outbreak of the War of Saxon Succession. This quickly draws in most of the major powers of Europe and pits the Netherlands against Great Britain as a complex web of alliances activate. In the Indian Ocean this means the French and VOC begin open war against the BEIC and the Portuguese, the main focus for everyone is the Indian subcontinent with the French, British and Portuguese plus there local allies engage in bitter warfare. Dutch Ceylon is raided from British Madras and its defence ties down most of the VOC's naval assets.
The outbreak of war is a vital boost for Fort Portland as the Royal Navy start an operation to interdict the Java and the East Indies, the Dutch are still unaware of the forts existence at the outbreak of war and are confident that they are reasonably secure as ships out of Ceylon are screen Madras and Calcutta. Taking advantage of this overconfidence the two frigates HMS Dainty and HMS Swiftsure operating from Portland will cause havoc capturing twenty ships carrying hundreds of tons of spices in the first year and half years of the war.

March 1744: With continued fighting in Europe, North America, South America and the Indian Ocean the British and Portuguese launch a joint amphibious invasion of the Cape Colony. Based out of Brazil after heavy fighting Cape Town is secured. Quickly repairing the defences and strengthening the garrison Britain will station a large force in Cape Town for the duration of the war in an attempt to isolate French and Dutch possessions in the Indian Ocean. Lacking sufficient forces in theatre to attempt a recapture and with the main focus on fighting against Prussia and Austria in Germany they are forced to use the more difficult Cape Horn route for the remainder of the war.

October 1745: Three British frigates raid New Rotterdam causing significant damage and burning much of it to the ground. While having little overall effect on the war it does create a lasting resentment of the British in New Holland and despite being previously friendly it sours Bevryding-British relations. They may dislike the VOC but many have relations living in New Holland who suffered during the raid.

7th July 1746: Decisive Battle of Gollenberg in Germany. Combined Austo-British-Prussian army is defeated by the Franco-Dutch force. With Austria and Prussia exhausted and their main armies savaged they are forced to sue for peace and Britain left alone is forced to follow. In the resulting peace treaty most of the effects are in Europe with the French choice is placed on the Saxon throne and the acquisition of Lorraine by France and the Austrian Netherlands by the Dutch. In North America territorial changes are the transfer of Newfoundland to France and departure of British troops from Acadia. Trinidad and Tobago is given to the Netherlands but in recompense Britain holds onto the Cape and in Australy Britain is granted control down to a line equidistant between Fort Portland and New Rotterdam.

Trinidad and Tobago is given to the Netherlands but in recompense Britain holds onto the Cape and in Australy Britain is granted control down to a line equidistant between Fort Portland and New Rotterdam.
Oh come on, once I would like to see a timeline where the Cape remains Dutch.

BTW I like the name Nieuwstadt. It is the exact same name as the village I grew up in, including the unusual dt.

Ooh, do elaborate.

I am going to keep the focus pretty firmly on Australia as once you go beyond that it simply becomes an unmanageable beast. Its happened to me before and I want to finally finish a timeline.
That said the Duke of Saxony has died and there is some doubt over who should inherit. Of the various Wettin's available one is the Austrian choice (i.e. Austrian puppet) and one the French (i.e. French puppet) choice, thus war. Really though this is just one of those wars that 18th century Europe had every 15-20 years. The losers in the last round (France and Prussia) have licked their wounds and ready for revenge, everyone else thinks its a good opportunity to pick up some booty colonial or otherwise. Add to that a complex net of alliances and much diplomatic chicanery and everyone joins the party except Russia who is too busy fighting the Turks, the Italian Duchies who are too busy fighting each other and Spain which is too broke to care.

Oh come on, once I would like to see a timeline where the Cape remains Dutch.

BTW I like the name Nieuwstadt. It is the exact same name as the village I grew up in, including the unusual dt.

Well that's a nice co-incidence re: Nieuwstadt though its about the least original name possible.

I think in most tl's Dutch control of the Cape had a time limit. The Netherlands did incredibly well considering its size thanks to its head start but by the 18th century its metropole is just too small to compete with the other powers and as the Cape controls the route to the Indian Ocean and its incredibly valuable so someone is going to take it at some point.
As for why it happens the way it did its partly plot advancement. I want to make the Netherlands stronger (thus the acquisition of the Austrian Netherlands, Trinidad) but I also had to acknowledge that with the Franco-Dutch alliance focused on fighting in Germany Britain is going to win the naval war.
Now with its allies dropping out Britain has to make peace but it hasn't lost. They've suffered a slight set back in North America (Newfoundland) and a score draw in the Caribbean but they've won in the Indian Ocean. In the circumstance the Cape for Trinidad swap seemed reasonable. The Netherlands gains a massively valuable sugar island shoring up the VOC's finances for a bit longer (this is the point where they started going into a death spiral in OTL) in return they get rid of a net cost that is no longer as necessary due to modern ships having longer range resulting less need for a half way point.
Finally there is the effect that having a Dutch settler colony (relatively) near to Australia fall into British hands is going to have in Australia.....

I agree with Pompejus on this one; I'd like to see a TL where the Cape remains Dutch.

BTW Trinidad and Tobago, though rich, would be controlled by the WIC (West-Indische Compagnie = Dutch West India Company).