A Queen Twice Over: Mary Tudor the Elder Marries Francis I of France

I could have Mama Boleyn swing a kettle at Papa Boleyn in a fit of temper, if you like?
... I won't say no...
For a moment I thought Francis was gonna swing the axe himself Ned Stark style.
I thought about it, but I couldn't quite do it. Not given I wanted to reuse the wonderful drunken executioner scene!
It was fun to write and I've enjoyed seeing you adapt it to use it for glorious murder...

... I won't say no...

It was fun to write and I've enjoyed seeing you adapt it to use it for glorious murder...
It would have to be Kate or Anne, Mama Boleyn is long dead here, on second thought.
Oh dear.

I do hope, for Francis's sake, that he has fewer reasons to vent his rage in the future. That was a bloody fate for anyone, traitor or no.
But at least he realises that. He didn't exactly derive any pleasure from the occasion. Watching it was a distasteful duty, nothing more.
Executions were gnarly in those days, although I'm at least halfway certain that this was more the executioner bungling the job than anything else...
That's precisely what you were meant to think.
Most likely one of the lands of Big Chins.
is that your way of referring to Spain? Because that's hilarious. I genuinely chuckled.
One of the Habsburg family’s lands.
You're in the right sort of geographical area... Think about it. Who's most likely to love François enough to shoulder the burden of dealing with a brother he no longer wishes to clap eyes on for him?

It would have to be Kate or Anne, Mama Boleyn is long dead here, on second thought.

But at least he realises that. He didn't exactly derive any pleasure from the occasion. Watching it was a distasteful duty, nothing more.

That's precisely what you were meant to think.

You're in the right sort of geographical area... Think about it. Who's most likely to love François enough to shoulder the burden of dealing with a brother he no longer wishes to clap eyes on for him?
There’s only two options, uncle Henry, who would be in a complicated relationship with both of his nephews, or the Big Chins, who would be more than happy enough to grant refuge to Jean and use him to stir up trouble in France.Given Francois seems to have given Jean freedom to do anything as long as he leaves in three weeks, I suspect Jean would dash to the Big Chins since they are more likely to support him. He might just play the role of the Duke of Bourbon in this timeline.If Francois is wise, shipping Jean to Uncle Henry might be the better option as long as they don’t go to war again.

Last edited:
He could go to England beg Uncle Henry to shelter him or to Spain/Burgundy and beg Aunt Marguerite for shelter. Charles would agree simply because it inconveniences the French, no doubt

He could go to England beg Uncle Henry to shelter him or to Spain/Burgundy and beg Aunt Marguerite for shelter. Charles would agree simply because it inconveniences the French, no doubt
Both his uncles would probably shelter him just to prove a point, indeed... But I disagree that there are only two options. 😛

He could also go visit his favourite sister, who’s just a big of a headpain as him, in the land of thistles - That, no doubt, is gonna be fun for all

Last edited:
He could also go visit his favourite sister in the land of thistles - That, no doubt, is gonna be fun for all
It would cause drama certainly, but I actually feel like it might just be a safe option for Francois, cause unless James starts getting real friendly with Uncle Henry (unlikely) methinks Scotland doesn’t have the ability to sponsor a pretender to the French throne.

Last edited:
I’m not sure Louise would welcome him…she took Francis’ side but she and François reconciled after their father died and Jean did mount a rebellion against their brother

VVD0D95

Banned
I can see Francois rationale for not going for Bolougne especially in this day and age when monarchs were meant ti lead from the front. But he’s going to need to undermine Henry and Catherine’s rule there soon. Before it becomes ab English city.

I can see Francois rationale for not going for Bolougne especially in this day and age when monarchs were meant ti lead from the front. But he’s going to need to undermine Henry and Catherine’s rule there soon. Before it becomes ab English city.
He could actually take a page from Uncle Charles. The guy usually delegates to competent generals instead of leading in person. Even in France itself, there’s precedence. Charles VII the Victorious of France prefers to delegate to generals instead of lead armies in person.Same deal with Charles V of France.

Last edited:
He could also go visit his favourite sister, who’s just a big of a headpain as him, in the land of thistles - That, no doubt, is gonna be fun for all
I’m not sure Louise would welcome him…she took Francis’ side but she and François reconciled after their father died and Jean did mount a rebellion against their brother
Exactly, but still. I told you there were more than two options. ..
And he knows that. He's just waiting for Anne to get a bit bigger first... And for the internal situation to calm down/his finances to get better after the recent debacle...
He could actually take a page from Uncle Charles. The guy usually delegates to competent generals instead of leading in person. Even in France itself, there’s precedence. Charles VII the Victorious of France prefers to delegate to generals instead of lead armies in person.Same deal with Charles V of France.
Come on, do you really think the Tudor-Valois genetic combination would allow for that??

Exactly, but still. I told you there were more than two options. ..

And he knows that. He's just waiting for Anne to get a bit bigger first... And for the internal situation to calm down/his finances to get better after the recent debacle...

Come on, do you really think the Tudor-Valois genetic combination would allow for that??
Charles V of France and Charles VII of France were both Valois kings....Henry VII of England himself preferred letting generals fight wars on his behalf. So jokes on you mate.:D Even Henry VIII himself let others command the army when he himself is indisposed, like the Scottish campaigns.

Last edited:
Charles V of France and Charles VII of France were both Valois kings....Henry VII of England himself preferred letting generals fight wars on his behalf. So jokes on you mate.:D Even Henry VIII himself let others command the army when he himself is indisposed, like the Scottish campaigns.
Okay, fair enough. But either angle is plausible, so we're going with the not wanting generals for the moment...

Okay, fair enough. But either angle is plausible, so we're going with the not wanting generals for the moment...
I feel like Francois just didn’t want to fight a war against his uncle because he felt what his father did was plain wrong and he should have just handed Boulogne over to prevent war. He even notes it himself several times. His point about ‘I can’t lead the army right now’ felt like an excuse to flummox the pro-war crowd while giving the impression that he is personally brave.

Last edited:
I feel like Francois just didn’t want to fight a war against his uncle because he felt what his father did was plain wrong and he should have just handed Boulogne over to prevent war. He even notes it himself several times. His point about ‘I can’t lead the army right now’ felt like an excuse to flummox the pro-war crowd while giving the impression that he is personally brave.
Well, it is technically legally wrong, yes. And anger is one of the stages of grief, so you might well be right. But as you say, he's not going to admit that in front of the Hawks...