A nifty trick for those with a historical atlas

Materials you will need:

Parchment paper
a sharpened pencil
A historical atlas (I use the DK World History Atlas)
A blank political map (real life or digital, it does not matter)

As we know, there are many great blank maps that have present day borders drawn across them. While this is fine, we would like to be able to have easy reference to previous eras in world history. The OTL map thread from 500ce to present is a excellent example of this. But, for more precise accuracy in these maps, this method I have found to be quite useful.

Simply take the parchment paper, and lay it over the map of a period in the atlas, trace with the pencil the sections you need, then turn to the modern era section that has the present day borders, and lay your parchment paper over the section with the present day borders. Then, with the comparisons in mind, trace, or draw what info/borders you need into your blank map!

Materials you will need:

Parchment paper
a sharpened pencil
A historical atlas (I use the DK World History Atlas)
A blank political map (real life or digital, it does not matter)

As we know, there are many great blank maps that have present day borders drawn across them. While this is fine, we would like to be able to have easy reference to previous eras in world history. The OTL map thread from 500ce to present is a excellent example of this. But, for more precise accuracy in these maps, this method I have found to be quite useful.

Simply take the parchment paper, and lay it over the map of a period in the atlas, trace with the pencil the sections you need, then turn to the modern era section that has the present day borders, and lay your parchment paper over the section with the present day borders. Then, with the comparisons in mind, trace, or draw what info/borders you need into your blank map!
I love this trick.
I discovered it with my Hammond's Modern Atlas of the World, published 1911.