A New Millennium in America - a Gore Presidency and Beyond

Prologue
  • A New Millennium in America - a Gore Presidency and Beyond
    Prologue

Nashville, Tennessee
    August 5th, 2000

“I think it’s the right choice, Mister Vice President.”

Albert ‘Al’ Gore frowned and leaned back in his chair, feet on desk in his Nashville office. He looked at Warren Christopher sitting opposite of him, the man who recommended him to Bill Clinton eight years ago and the man Gore trusted to find his running mate.

“I thought we had narrowed it down to Lieberman. A few days ago you said you were 99% certain. Why the sudden change, Warren?”

Warren Christopher, former Secretary of State to President Clinton, shrugged and drank deep from his mug of coffee. Finishing, he wiped his mouth and spoke with confidence. He had to convince the Vice President of this new choice. He felt it might make or break the campaign.

“I was convinced Joe would be the best choice, Mister Vice President, but I saw that CNN interview she gave and she expressed interest in being your VP. and that 1% uncertainty reared its head and had me thinking. I looked through her credentials and I think the positives outweigh any potential negatives.”

Gore looked at the two manila folders, one labeled JL and the other JS, on the desk and rubbed his eyes as his mind raced through recent weeks filled with exhaustion and frustration. A few weeks ago it had all seemed so easy, the choice so obvious a blind man could have seen it. John Edwards was to be his Vice President, the energetic and charismatic Senator from North Carolina. But doubts were raised about Edwards' inexperience, for being perhaps too politically young, questions were asked in the Gore campaign if Edwards' youth would be a detraction rather than an asset to the ticket. Would America feel safe knowing a Senator with less than two years experience was but a heartbeat away from the most powerful position on Earth?

As enthusiasm for Edwards dimmed, Lieberman and Kerry took the spotlight. Gore knew he needed a Northerner to balance the ticket, another reason they had distanced from Edwards. It had been back and forth between the two, but as of last week Gore and Christopher had tentatively agreed that Lieberman was the pick. Joe Lieberman was a centrist who voted as a Democrat domestically but on foreign policy and defense was more akin to a Republican. Him being a Northerner would help even out the ticket. Clinton and Gore got lucky with two men from the South on the ticket, twice, so he didn’t want to test it a third time. Above all, however, that made Gore favor Lieberman was his criticism of Bill Clinton. Having him on the ticket would highlight Gore severing ties to the previous Administration’s missteps and blunders, signaling the Democratic Party as a whole was moving on from Clinton and that Al Gore specifically was moving out from under the shadow of the controversial and scandal-riddled current president.

Yet now that might be all dashed away. Gore sighed and leaned forward, opening up the second manila folder and started reading. flipping through the stapled sheets, dark blue eyes flicking over the documents. The background research was extensive and Gore admitted he liked what he was looking at. At the end were five bullet points highlighting her strengths as a candidate.

•Gubernatorial experience, popular with constituents
    •Stable marriage, no divorces or scandals
    •Woman, will attract independent female votes
    •Native American ancestry, could attract minority votes
    •Northerner, can geographically balance the ticket

He scanned over it again, weighing his options and thinking of avery advantage and disadvantage this would bring. Taking a deep breath, he made up his mind.

“Alright, I’m convinced. Give her office a call and see if the interest is real. If so, I’ll call her tonight and extend an offer.”

"Yes, sir."​

+ + +

Thank you for joining us tonight here at CNN. If you have not heard already, there has been breaking political news. Vice President Gore has announced his choice for running mate: New Hampshire Governor Cynthia Jeanne Shaheen. This will be only the second time a woman has been selected as a Vice Presidential candidate between the major parties, both time on Democratic tickets." [1]
    --CNN, August 2000

Snap polling amongst registered voters, Republican, Democrat and Independent, shows that Jeanne Shaheen scores moderate to high with Democrats, moderate with Independent and low to moderate with Republicans. Is Shaheen a credible threat to Governor Bush's? Will she pull away key female votes come November? This publicity stunt will likely not pay off but time will tell.
    --Fox News, August 2000

"Why do you think he chose her and not Lieberman? Is Al Gore trying to appease the female base of the Democratic Party, to bring them back on his side following his boss' infidelity? It is heavily rumored Joe Lieberman was going to be the nominee before a last minute change."

"I’d gather it’s for a few reasons, Mary. The Shaheens delivered the New Hampshire Primary to Gore on a silver platter, sidelining Bill Bradley's efforts to win primary voters. Governor Shaheen's husband was Gore' campaign manager in the Granite State. That early win propelled Gore to secure three times the voter share Bradley got in the primaries as a whole. If Gore didn’t secure New Hampshire, those numbers would likely look different and he’d appear weaker to Democratic voters.

Being nominated for Vice President is a reward for her accomplishments, on-the-ground work in New Hampshire, and the recognition of women in politics. Gore knows what he wants in a Vice President and he knows the importance the position can have in an Administration. Shaheen also has more appeal to a broader range of people than whatever Lieberman might have been able to sway. She has experience as a state senator and as governor of a state that has a strong GOP presence and is seen as likable and approachable among the Party's liberal and moderate wings where Lieberman largely appeals to conservative Democrats."

"So you're saying Governor Shaheen is a better choice than the senator? The choice seems hollow, Geraldine. I have a hard time picturing the party of womanizers like JFK and Clinton aim to treat women with respect. Honestly, I think he only did it to mislead undecided female voters that the scandal-riddled Democratic Party is the home for women in politics. American voters will see right through that and you know it."

"I don't think that is accurate, Shaheen has broader appeal and if she can swing New Hampshire's four Electoral votes to Gore, that could once again provide him an early and crucial win that could act as a catalyst across the country. She may or may not be better than Lieberman, but I doubt she'd do any worse. And Al Gore is not choosing Shaheen because she is a mere checkbox on some hypothetical electoral victory bingo card, Mary. She has political experience, is popular in her state, and shares many of the values Vice President Gore has stated throughout his campaign. She compliments the ticket in ways Lieberman wouldn’t have been able to, or for that matter Edwards or Kerry.”
    --Crossfire, Geraldine Ferraro vs Mary Matalin

After several days filled with passionate speeches and popular themes during the Democratic National Convention held here in the City of Angels, Al Gore and Jeanne Shaheen have officially been nominated as the Democratic candidates for President and Vice President of the United States. The Gore/Shaheen ticket is set to hit the campaign trail in the coming days, with both crisscrossing the country to hold town hall meetings, speeches, fundraiser dinners and other public events to gain momentum for the election this November which only a few short months away.
    --Los Angeles Times, August 2000

Shaheen-Cheney Vice Presidential Debate
    MODERATOR: "From historic Danville, Kentucky, good evening, and welcome to this year’s sole vice presidential debate sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates. I’m Bernard Shaw of CNN, the moderator for this evening. Tonight we come to you from Newlin Hall in the Norton Center for the Arts on the campus of Centre College. To President John Rausch, the faculty, students and community leaders state-wide, we thank you for hosting this debate. The candidates are the Republican nominee, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney of Wyoming, and the Democratic nominee, Governor Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire-

SHAHEEN: "We’re not spending any more than is projected by the experts, unlike our opponents. We’re setting aside $300 billion in a reserve fund in case the projections those nonpartisan experts make aren’t quite right. We understand that balancing the budget, keeping America out of debt is a way to keep interest rates down and the economy growing which benefits all Americans."​
    ---
    MODERATOR: "Governor, your response to the education question."

SHAHEEN: "Al Gore and I are committed to making America’s public schools the best in the world. As a former educator myself I disagree with what my opponent has said. A lot of progress has been made in recent years. Average testing scores are up and a lot of extraordinary work is being done by tens of thousands of parents, teachers, administrators and students all around America. There is more to be done, I won’t dispute that. There are fields we need to improve on to remain competitive on the world stage. Not only are we taking $300 billion off the top of the surplus to put in reserve fund, the rest we’ll use for middle class tax cuts and invest in programs like education. There’s a big difference between these two tickets. Our opponents are going to spend $1.6 trillion of the $1.8 trillion surplus projected on that big tax cut that Al Gore talked about the other night so effectively. We’re saving money to invest in education which will pay dividends in a generation. You cannot reform education and improve it in this country without spending some money. Al Gore and I have committed almost $220 billion for that purpose. This money will be out towards recruiting 100,000 new teachers to reduce classroom sizes, to boost teacher and paraprofessional pay, to provide more resources and programs to aid child development and provide more electives alongside general classroom resources. This money will also help local school districts build new buildings so our children are not learning in crumbling classrooms. And we’re not just going to stop at public education. We’re going to go on and give the middle class the ability to deduct up to $10,000 a year in the cost of college tuition. Now, that is a tremendous life-saving change which will help people carry on their education and allow them to develop the kinds of skills that will help them succeed in the high-tech economy of today."​
    ---​
    MODERATOR: "The next question goes to you, Governor. This is the 21st Century yet on average an American working woman in our great nation earns 75 cents for each $1 earned by a working male. What do you propose to do about it?"

SHAHEEN: "It’s a good and important question. Obviously in our time, fortunately, great advances have been made by women achieving the kind of equality that we were too long denied. Bernie, your question is absolutely right. Women — actually the number I have received is seventy-two cents for every dollar a man receives in a comparable job. Al Gore and I have issued an economic plan in which we’ve stated specific goals for the future. And one of those goals is to eliminate the pay gap between men and women. It’s unfair and it’s unacceptable. And the first way we will do that is by supporting the Equal Pay Act which has been proposed in Congress-"​
    ---
    SHAHEEN: "That is simply incorrect, Mr. Cheney, we are not abandoning stay-at-home mothers. Our proposed tax cuts also give a $600 tax credit to stay-at-home moms as we realize they are performing a vital service to society. Our middle-class tax cuts are targeted in areas that need it. Tax credits for better and less expensive child care, tax credits for middle class families that don’t have health insurance from their employers. The college tax deduction I talked about earlier. A $3,000 tax credit for a family member who stays home with a parent or grandparent who is ill-"​
    ---
    SHAHEEN: "My answer is no, I would not support legislation that is being introduced in Congress to override the Food and Drug Administration decision on RU-486."​
    ---
    SHAHEEN: "Well, there’s good news from Belgrade today, Bernie, as you know-"​
    ---
    SHAHEEN: "Al Gore and I are committed to continuing the acquisition program and transforming the military into a 'lean-and-mean' fighting machine. True, there are fewer people in uniform today, but person-to-person, unit-by-unit, this is the most powerful and effective military in the history of the world. And again, Al Gore and I will do whatever is necessary to keep it that way."​
    ---
    MODERATOR: "Governor."

SHAHEEN: "I agree Saddam Hussein is a regional threat but we do not move headlong and gung-ho into the region. We must ensure the Iraqis honor the No Fly Zone, with the threat of further sanctions or, potentially, military intervention in the way of aerial bombardment without a ground element."​
    ---
    MODERATOR: "Governor Shaheen, this question is for you. Many experts are forecasting continuing chaotic oil prices in the world market. Wholesale natural gas prices here in our country are leaping. Then there are coal and electricity. Have previous Republican and Democratic Congresses and administrations, including this one, done their job to protect the American people?"

SHAHEEN: "Not enough, but this administration and Vice President Gore and I have had both a long-term strategy to develop energy independence and a short-term strategy. In fact if the current administration had been given the amount of funding that it had requested from the Republican Congress, we would be further along in the implementation of that long-term strategy aimed at developing cleaner sources of energy, giving tax credits to individuals and businesses to conserve and use energy more efficiently. Aimed at a partnership for a new generation of vehicles with the American automobile industry which is making great progress and can produce a vehicle that can get eighty miles per gallon. We also have a short-term strategy. To deal with exactly the kind of ups and downs of energy prices. I know it was controversial, but Al Gore and I believed it was important in the short-term to reach into the strategic petroleum reserve, take some of the oil we have, put it in the market, show the big oil companies and the OPEC oil-producing countries that we have got some resources with which we can fight back. We aren’t going to lay back and let them roll over our economy. We did it also because gasoline prices were rising and home heating oil inventories were real low. Both of our tickets agree on LIHEAP keeping the low income housing assistance program, but our opponents offer no assistance to middle-class families hit by rising gas prices and a shortage of home heating oil. The fact is that since the reserve was opened the price of oil on world markets has dropped $6 a barrel. That’s a good result and I’m proud of it."​
    ---
    SHAHEEN: "-I swear here and now that Social Security will be solvent until at least 2054. It is the backbone of our retirement system and our ticket pledges to keep it so."
    --Shaheen vs Cheney Vice Presidential Debate [2]

In the Vice Presidential Debate held last week, Secretary Cheney was seen as the winner amongst many registered voters, with 84% of Republicans thinking he came out on top while 53% Independents and only 12% Democrats thought the Secretary won the debate. As for Governor Shaheen, her personality shone in the debate, as did her sense of humor and quick wit that has helped smooth out Al Gore's robotic rough edges on the campaign trail. In facing off against Secretary Cheney, Shaheen had impressed 67% Democrats who thought she had won the debate, with Republicans and Independents at 12% and 41%, respectively.
    --The Washington Post, October 2000

As the election is only days away, both Bush/Cheney and Gore/Shaheen make final adjustments to their strategy.
    --Fort Worth Star Telegram, November 2000

Tonight is the night. Democracy in action. Go out and vote, no matter who it is for, it is important the voice of all Americans are heard tonight. This election will decide how our nation moves forward into the new millennium.
    --MSNBC, November 2000

"Unsurprisingly Gore takes an early lead in New England. Picking Shaheen is paying dividends as New Hampshire went Blue by less than a thousand votes, pushing the swing state further towards the Democrats. It is the third time in a row that the Granite State has voted for a Democrat in a presidential election-"

"-it is with some surprise that George W. Bush has swept the South in its near-entirety, both for the fact that Gore is a Southerner and that during both the '92 and '96 Elections the South was a competitive electoral battleground. The only state still in play is Florida, which is too close to call as of this moment-"

"-key Midwest states such as Michigan and Illinois go Democrat but Ohio's crucial 21 electoral votes goes to Bush-"

"-the entirety of the Great Plains goes to the Republicans, except for New Mexico which remains a Democratic bastion in the region-"

"If you are joining us now, the final result for California should be coming in any minute- hold on... I can confirm that California and its 52 Electoral Votes have gone to Vice President Gore. Gore won over a million and a half more voters in the state compared to Governor Bush. With Oregon and Washington also going to Gore, this leaves the Vice President with 267 Electoral Votes. Governor Bush meanwhile was able to eek out a victory in Florida after a round of recounting, securing the state's impactful 25 Electoral Votes by a mere thousand votes. This has caused both tickets to be tied at 267, making this the closest Presidential Election since 1876. Now it is up to Hawaii to decide who will be the next president-"

"It's confirmed. Gore has won Hawaii! Having secured almost 56% of the vote, Vice President Gore has surpassed the required 270 Electoral Votes. Ladies and gentlemen, we can say with absolute certainty that Al Gore is now the President-Elect of the United States of America." [3]​

Gore 2001 Map.png

U.S. Presidential Election 2000
    Electoral Vote:
    Al Gore [D] - 271
    George W. Bush [R] - 267
    Popular Vote:
    Al Gore [D] - 51,297,104
    George Bush [R] - 50,744,062

U.S. Congressional Elections
    Senate:
    Republicans: 54 → 50 [-4]
    Democrats: 46 → 50 [+4]

House of Representatives [4]:
    Republicans: 223 → 219 [-4]
    Democrats: 211 → 214 [+3]
    Independents: 1 → 2 [+1]
    1684957447713.jpeg

President-Elect Al Gore

licensed-image

Vice President-Elect Jeanne Shaheen

[1] PoD - Shaheen being selected to be VP as she expresses interest instead of the opposite
    [2] Shaheen gets more favorable ratings than Lieberman after the VP debate.
    [3]Al Gore wins, albeit by extremely thin margins.
    [4] House elections are almost the same as OTL but Connecticut 2nd: Sam Gejdenson [D] beats Rob Simmons [R]
    Minnesota 2nd: David Minge [D] beats Mark Kennedy [R]

Last edited:
    Chapter One - Inauguration
  • Chapter One - Inauguration
    November 2000 - January 2001
    “Good morning. I want to first say thank you to Dick, Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Dorothy, Dad, Mom and Laura for all your support during this incredible and humbling experience. I couldn’t have done it without you.

Earlier this morning I called Vice President Gore to concede this free and fair election. Though the end result was not what many of us had envisioned or had hoped, it is nonetheless the will of the American people and as we have done for over two hundred years in this wonderful democratic experiment of ours the will of the many dictate who shall be their duly elected representatives.

I want to congratulate Vice President Gore on a well-run and hard-fought campaign. We debated important issues over a host of topics near and dear to our fellow countrymen, unveiled our ideas and aspirations to the American people and laid honest criticism upon the other. The people of this great nation have spoken and they have chosen you, Mister Gore, to lead them. In this endeavor, sir, you have my full support.

I also have the incredible honor of congratulating Governor Shaheen on becoming the first female Vice President in our country’s history come January. Congratulations, ma’am, you did a hell of a job on the campaign trail and you’ve done America proud.

We are stronger united than we are divided. I therefore urge all those who supported me in this journey of compassionate conservatism to now put aside partisanship and throw your full support behind our new President-Elect. Thank you, thank you. God bless you and yours, and God bless America.”
    —Governor George W. Bush’s Concession Speech, November 8th, 2000

“Ladies and gentlemen… America had spoken. Our beloved nation asked for three things from us: Leadership, Integrity and Fiscal Responsibility, and we will deliver! We pledge to increase resources to education, pay down the national debt to keep interest rates low, a strong and enduring well-paying economy that trickles up rather than down. There is much to do and we will need your patience and support along the way, but know this: help is coming!

Now, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud and honored to introduce to you the new President-Elect of the United States: Albert Gore!”
    —Vice President-Elect Jeanne Shaheen, November, 2000

"The President offers his congratulations to President-Elect Gore, and wishes him the best of luck in his future endeavors in running the country."
    —Press Secretary Jack Siewert, November 2000

As Al Gore settles into Washington D.C. this weekend as part of the transition process, hundreds of pro-Bush protestors are out in force, declaring the election was stolen, that a 'nonpartisan recount' was needed, and that Gore should resign. Police forces have thus kept the protests from being anything other than name-calling and vented frustration.

Both Governor Bush and Secretary Cheney have issued strongly-worded statements directed towards the protestors, stating that while it is their right to protest the election, the two stated in no uncertain terms that the election was in fact free, fair and nonpartisan and they should accept the results and move on. Days would follow, with the crowd slowly dissipating but much of the remnant grumbling amongst far-right GOP members were silenced following a letter released by Ronald Reagan's office, calling for the peaceful transfer of power to continue unabated.

Campaign Manager Donna Brazile and incoming White House Chief of Staff Charles Burson are quickly forming a rough draft of potential Cabinet picks. Gore, who has struggled to main unison within the Democratic Party throughout the election has to juggle Conservatives, Moderate Centrists and Progressives within his Party to have any shot of passing legislation, especially in a thinly divided Congress.
    —CNN, November 2000

Three Iraqi fighters breach the Northern No Fly Zone, skirting inside the Zone by several kilometers. U.S. F-16s quickly chased out the Iraqi MiG-21s. In response President Clinton orders a proportional response of strikes on the airstrip the MiG-21s embarked from.

Saddam Hussein goes on state television to criticize ‘American aggression,’ but events quickly cool over the following days as there are no further incidents.
    —NBC, December 2000

President-Elect Gore arrives to Nashville to spend Christmas with friends and family. Security has been notably heightened over the last few days.
    The Tennessean, December 2000

Vice President Gore and a joint session of the U.S. Congress check and validate the Electoral Count from the November presidential election. With a single hammering of the gavel, Gore became legally recognized himself as the winner of the 2000 Presidential Election.​
    ap_01010601403_custom-745c8c35e2238f0cdb6859d3d6ecb986358e74aa.jpg

Al Gore in his role as President of the Senate, confirming the Electoral Votes on January 6th, 2001

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."​
    95294e42-9ca3-440f-9d22-afb10ab3a4e1_1140x641.jpg

Al Gore taking the Oath of Office, January 20th, 2001

"President Clinton, distinguished guests and my fellow citizens, the peaceful transfer of authority is rare in history, yet common in our country. With a simple oath, we affirm old traditions and make new beginnings.

As I begin, I thank President Clinton for his service to our nation. And I thank Governor Bush for a contest conducted with spirit and ended with grace.

I am honored and humbled to stand here today, where so many of America's leaders have come before me, and so many will follow.

As we move further into the 21st Century we must remain vigilant. Vigilant to threats beyond our shores, in countries whose ideologies and tyrants despise us, and also to those within our borders. These threats are not always human in nature, however. Climate change is a fact, not a fear-mongering myth that some have tailored it as. Renowned scientists across the world have theorized, stated and proven its existence. We must a low ledge the facts, recognize the truth and act upon this information.

If our nation, our fragile blue planet with its six billion souls, is to see a 22nd and a 23rd Century and beyond, we must therefore tackle the dangers of human-made pollution, of overconsumption of limited resources and our dependency on nonrenewable energy.

My Administration will work with Congress, on both sides of aisle, to create long-lasting, high-paying jobs, better retirement opportunities and better quality of life for millions of Americans who struggle day-to-day, week-to-week, and paycheck-to-paycheck.

We are not a perfect society. It is only fitting that I, an imperfect and flawed man, should stand at the helm of this great course we shall soon embark upon. I will make mistakes, I will misjudge, I will act too lethargically ant times and I will act too rashly in others. But I am but one man. Together, with other imperfect people who share the dreams many of us do, who see beyond the next day, we shall renew and build upon the America that was promised, a land of endless opportunities, of free and open public discourse, and of inalienable rights enshrined in our Declaration of Independence, knowing in our hearts that all men are created equal.

This journey the nation will go on will not be easy nor will it be swift, but that is what will make it all worth it in the end. And when I leave from this office years from now, for democracy is a beautiful thing, I will know that whomever follows in my wake will do what they can to better an imperfect world. The work continues. The story goes on. And an angel still rides upon the whirlwind and directs the storm.

God bless you all, and God bless America.”
    —President Gore’s Inaugural Speech, January 20th, 2001

Last edited:
    Chapter Two - Hundred Days, Part One: Forming a Cabinet
  • Chapter Two
    Hundred Days, Part One: Forming a Cabinet

January 2001 - April 2001

“I knew the Presidency was not something to shoulder myself with lightly. I had seen what it did to Bill, I saw what it did to my successor. It ages you with the stress, it pains you with the inability to push through legislation you know will help people, and burdens you that you are not only the leader of the United States but the de facto leader of the Free World.

The first Hundred Days of any Administration is typically one filled with flurry of activity, of hammering out details and the fine points. It is the time when the President works with Congress to produce substantial legislation. To showcase a President's agenda and set the tempo for what's to come.

Unlike Bill’s first Hundred Days, I inherited a divided Congress. Democrats controlled the Senate with Jeanne providing the tie-breaking vote, and though Democrats had increased our share of the House of Representatives, we were still the minority.

That meant I had to roll up my sleeves, swallow my pride, and prepare for compromises I knew I wouldn’t like.

Little did I know how hard it was actually going to be.”
    —Excerpt from Al Gore’s autobiography The Humbling Power of Democracy - My Years in the White House. Published by Penguin Random House, 2015
    ---
    The day after the Inauguration and the official events that followed it (of which there were six Inaugural Balls), President Gore officially began the work he promised whilst on the campaign trail. A flurry of high-level meetings took place at the White House between President Gore, Vice President Shaheen, their respective staffs and that of chief Congressional leaders such as Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle and House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt. Following these meetings and the interviews that followed, Gore would sign four executive orders, promising 1-2 per day for his first Hundred Days.

The first four Executive Orders by the Gore Administration are as follows:
    -raising the Federal Employee Minimum Wage for Federal Government contractors to $6.50 starting in March
    -establishing new regulations concerning hazardous waste disposal across the country and strengthening EPA enforcement
    -an order to all U.S. Federal Departments and Agencies to conduct a thorough audit of their computer systems to find ways to improve performance and strengthen cyber security
    -ordering the Department of Energy to release a half-million barrels of oil per day for 90 days from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower gas prices and energy bills across the country

Will the president’s ambitious start pave way to an economic boom or an economic slump?
    Wall Street Journal, January 2001

White House Press Secretary Chris LeHane has released the full list of President Gore’s Cabinet appointees. The list, long theorized and predicted by political operators in D.C. and the media alike since the presidential campaign, contained many recognizable names either from or associated with the Clinton Administration.

The list fielded so many Clinton appointees in fact that one anonymous Republican politician quipped to The Washington Post, “President Gore is his own man," he said, quoting the president's speech at the Democratic National Convention last year, "As long as Bill gives the thumbs up.”

Despite some criticism, many of the candidates have received a positive reaction, noting the diversity of men and women, featuring whites, blacks and Hispanics. LeHane stated in the press conference, "President Gore is committed to having a Cabinet that reflects the democraphics of America."

The Senate will take a week to review and ready questions before it interviews the appointees, but Senator Patrick Leahy (Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee) has assured President Gore that the process will be speedy, reportedly stating, “We’ll have it all wrapped up by early to mid-March, Mister President.”
    Roll Call, January 2001

A Beechcraft Super King Air 200, registration N81PF, carrying two Oklahoma State football players and several more university personnel made an emergency crash landing last night on I-70 after the pilot became disoriented in a snow storm. Aside from a few bumps and bruises, as well as a concussion to the pilot, and extensive damage to a car that was clipped by the plane as it landed on the highway, none have died though several will remain in Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Centre for several days for observation.
    The Denver Post, January 2001

Two weeks after the mass shootings in Nevada County, California that killed three and wounded three others, President Gore declares in a Rose Garden speech that to counter gun violence, especially those not covered under the Federal Assault Weapons Ban such as handguns, Congress needs to pass legislation that institutes new requirements and restrictions, such as Red Flag laws and closing what is known as the ‘boyfriend loophole.’ As for those with severe mental health disorders that led to being institutionalized in a mental hospital, Gore proposes a federal database that collects the necessary information from state records to prevent those that are considered by a judge in a court of law to be mentally, emotionally or physically unfit to purchase firearms nationwide.

While celebrated by many, though not by all Democrats, the proposal is seen as Dead on Arrival in the Republican-controlled House. Speaker Hastert spoke on the steps of the Capitol yesterday afternoon to nitpick President Gore’s proposals.

“While I agree we need to get a handle on crimes committed with firearms in this country, I do not agree with the White House’s attempted infringement on the Second Amendment rights of the American people. The right to bear arms is enshrined into our Constitution and I do not take matters of overruling that august document lightly.

The only proposal President Gore mentioned that I and many within the House would support is closing the so-called ‘boyfriend loophole.’ Those who have committed crimes or misdemeanors related to physical or sexual assault should be on probation for purchasing guns and, in some cases, banned from doing so for life, depending on the severity of the crime that is. That would have some support here on the Hill.”
    New York Times, January 2001
    1685302291220.jpeg

President Al Gore giving an interview following his comments about further gun restrictions, January 2001

The Baltimore Ravens have defeated the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXXV 27-10, marking the first Super Bowl win for the Ravens organization in franchise history. Linebacker Ray Lewis was named MVP.
    Sports Illustrated, January 2001

Senate hearings over President Gore’s Cabinet appointees have begun, starting with Richard Holbrooke who is slated to become Secretary of State, a position he has long coveted if the Senate Judiciary Committee votes in his favor. If that happens his nomination will be sent to a floor vote in the U.S. Senate where it is expected he would secure enough votes to be Senate-confirmed.
    The Washington Times, February 2001
    House Democrats have introduced three bills that are key to President Gore’s agenda.
    -Tax Modification and Improvement Act (TMIA)
    -Clean Energy Jobs Initiative Act (CEJIA)
    -Education for a Modern America Act (EMAA)

All three proposed Acts are sweeping bills that cover a host of major topics. It is assumed Gore knows he may not have much political capital after these bills but wants to cap his Hundred Days with some major legislative victories to help pave the way for the 2002 Midterms. If the Democrats can show success, it would bode well for expanding their hold in Congress.

Many Congressional Republicans are already deriding the bills, especially add-on legislation such as the call for raising the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.25 in the Tax Modification and Improvement Act over two years, citing that to raise the minimum wage so aggressively in such a short period will cause economic hardship for small businesses which would lead to layoffs. House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt has assured House Republicans and media outlets that raising the minimum wage will be vital to lowering poverty, increasing the purchasing power of low-income families, and will lead to an economic uptick as people have more money to spend on consumption. Gephardt also stated, “The president’s proposed tax cuts will give the lower-to-middle classes some wiggle room, some relief, to help stretch every dollar they earned farther. Add in the tax deductions and tax credits on offer and our plan will help millions of Americans.

However not all Democrats are showcasing unity, as many Democrats spearheaded by Senator Edward ‘Ted’ Kennedy lambasted the president for his lack of healthcare reform. “I am not expect sweeping changes,” the Senator is quoted to have said, “but there needs to be some greater assistance to help those in desperate need for quality healthcare.”
    —CBS, February 2001
    1685303774767.jpeg

Protests concerning the minimum wage erupted after the proposed Tax Modification and Improvement Act (TMIA) was released to media outlets, both for and against. Pictured are pro-higher Minimum Wage, February 2001

Although much of Gore’s Cabinet is being quickly pushed through the Judiciary Committee, a snag has developed concerning the president’s choice for Attorney General. Jamie Gorelick, a Deputy Attorney General under Clinton until 1997, was Gore’s first choice (though rumors abound in Washington that Eric Holder had been the first choice for some time but was pushed down the rung shortly before December for reasons unknown).

The issue with Gorelick was when she had been a proponent of banning strong encryption for communication software and instead supported the creation of a key escrow system which would have allowed the U.S. Government a ‘back door’ into any communication or computer software, private or public.

Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah, the leading Republican on the Judiciary Committee, strongly criticized the president’s choice, claiming “This is another example of big brother government the Democrats frequently flirt with. We are now in the 21st Century, Internet privacy and communication security are big issues now and will become Increasingly more so as these technologies develop. We need an Attorney General that will protect a person’s digital privacy, not one who advocates government access. If Gorelick remains the nominee, every Republican on this Committee will vote ‘No.’”

President Gore readied his legal team to back Mrs. Gorelick but the former Deputy Attorney General withdrew her name from the nomination after her first hearing before the Judiciary Committee which was described as ‘uncomfortably scathing.’

In a public statement after her withdrawal, Gorelick declared she wanted to spend more time with her family and felt that there were better candidates for the job out there without her political baggage. Someone close to her has leaked that Gorelick simply didn’t want to be dragged through the mud again by the Committee in such a public setting, and reportedly a few Democrats on the Committee privately conveyed to Mrs. Gorelick stated that they would not vote ‘Yes’ due to the key escrow issue.

As the Senate went through the other Cabinet nominees, Gore’s Chief of Staff Charles Burson scrambled to find a replacement for Gorelick. Thankfully, a candidate soon showed interest: Walter Dellinger. After his name was submitted, Dellinger passed the Committee’s review and was sent to a floor vote where he was confirmed 67-32 (1 abstained) by mid-March.

With his Cabinet nearly put together by the end of March (delayed by exhaustive questioning of several candidates by Republicans on the Judiciary Committee), President Gore held a speech before a joint session of Congress, highlighting the legislation proposed by the House Democrats in February that is currently in a nasty partisan gridlock. The president called for Congress to pass these bills to better the lives of millions of Americans. Gore says his tax cuts will help lower-to-middle classes but the Republicans say it doesn’t cover enough and is “pennies to the dollar.”

Gephardt and other key Democrats are whipping votes amongst their caucus while Gore has discussions with Republican leadership to sway some votes his way but thus far any progress to a compromise has been stalled.
    Roll Call, April 2001

Following the confirmation of Rodney Slater as Secretary of Transportation in the first week of April, President Gore now has a full cabinet, with only one candidate having to have withdrawn (Jamie Gorelick).

Following this minor victory, President Gore has stated his desire to maintain some momentum as his first Hundred Days is about to conclude at the end of the month. Gore has summoned Congressional leadership from both sides to try and hash out a deal over the three bills stalled in Committees. A week of bitter exchanges of ideals and ideology passed by but by mid-April, an agreement was made. The President, standing next to Speaker Hastert and Minority Leader Gephardt, announces that a tentative compromise concerning the three bills has been made and will go to the respective House Committees to get ironed out before a final version is presented to the House floor for a vote in two weeks.

By all accounts no one is happy with the agreement, but tips from anonymous staffers have stated the Republicans gained more than they lost.

President Gore, after the handshaking and hollow smiles, returned to the White House, seemingly dejected.
    —The New York Times, April 2001

The Gore Cabinet List and key Government positions by mid-April 2001 are as follows:
    President - Al Gore
    Vice President - Jeanne Shaheen
    Secretary of State - Richard Holbrooke
    Secretary of Treasury - Lawrence Summers
    Secretary of Defense - Norman Augustine
    Attorney General - Walter Dellinger
    Secretary of the Interior - Bob Miller
    Secretary of Agriculture - Philip Burnett
    Secretary of Commerce - Norman Mineta
    Secretary of Labor - Linda Chavez-Thompson
    Secretary of Health and Human Services - Nancy-Ann Min DeParle
    Secretary of Housing and Urban Development - Norman Rice
    Secretary of Transportation - Rodney Slater
    Secretary of Energy - Hazel O’Leary
    Secretary of Education - James Hunt Jr.
    Secretary of Veteran Affairs - Hershel Gobel
    Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency - Kathleen McGinty
    Director of Office of Management and Budget - Robert Reischauer
    United States Trade Representative - Charlene Barshefsky
    Ambassador to the United Nations - Susan Rice
    Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers - Martin Baily
    Administrator of the Small Business Administration - Alexis Herman
    Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration - Jane Garvey
    Director of the National Economic Council - Gene Sperling
    White House Chief of Staff - Charles Burson
    Senate Majority Leader [D] - Tom Daschle
    Senate Minority Leader [R] - Trent Lott
    Speaker of the House [R] - Dennis Haster
    House Minority Leader [D] - Dick Gephardt​

Last edited:
    Chapter Three - Hundred Days, Part Two: ARISE
  • Chapter Three - Hundred Days, Part Two: ARISE
    April 2001

The battle over the Tax Modification and Improvement Act (TMIA), the Clean Energy Jobs Initiative Act (CEJIA) and the Education for a Modern America Act (EMAA) had lasted in Congress since February. The Democrats wanted the three bills to be passed with minimal modification as they claimed the bills were moderate in scope. The targeted tax cuts, income bracket adjustments and investments in Education would appeal to GOP agendas whilst simultaneously providing subsidies, deductions and investments to be offset by minimal tax increases on Capital Gains and a one point increase in the top Corporate Tax bracket.

Some within the Gore White House had privately supported raising the top Income Tax bracket to 42% but this failed to gain traction with the president who knew such a proposal would inflame the more libertarian elements of the GOP who decried tax increase of any kind, regardless if it balanced budgets, and if the bills were to pass they would need some Republican support from the more moderate wing of the GOP.

Little progress on the three bills had been made until mid-April, with both sides deadlocked since the Republican Responsible Government Tax and Spending Act (RGTSA) was revealed in March. Chief of Staff Burson started to apply heavy White House pressure onto Congressional Democrat leadership, pushing them to make minor concessions to the Republicans to get the bills passed.

In the early hours of Friday, April 13th, after weeks of back and forth negotiations and finetuning, House Democrats and Republicans unveiled their revised plan. Named the ARISE Act, a catchy and simple acronym for the Accounts Restructure, Investment, and Servicing Education Act, it proved to be an abominable Frankenstein of a bill that combined aspects of TMIA, CEJIA and EMAA into one massive piece of legislation, clearly influenced by the more tax cut heavy RGTSA. Though many on both sides approved of the bill, several more progressive Democrats (Representative Bernie Sanders especially) criticized it for aiding Republican-focused policies over Democrat ones while some Republicans, spearheaded by Representative Ron Paul, voiced complaints of the high price tag.

The bill, which was almost six hundred pages in length, sported a few key differences from the Democrat bills introduced in February, specifically in taxation, clean energy investment, and education while giving it a heavy of Republican ‘flavoring.’

President Gore, as did Governor Bush during the presidential campaign, pushed for tax cuts. Unlike Bush, though, Gore wanted targeted cuts to benefit the lower and middle class, while simultaneously paying for these cuts with minuscule tax modifications on wealthy individuals in the form of increasing Capital Gains Tax and raising the tax on the richest corporations. Listed below is the Democrats’ original proposal and the Republican counter-proposal vs what was agreed upon in the ARISE Act.​

Pre-Gore Tax Brackets under President Clinton (2000)
    Single Filer -
    15%: $0 - $26,250
    28%: $26,251 - $63,550
    31%: $63,551 - $132,600
    36%: $132,601 - $288,350
    39.6%: $288,350+

Married Filing Jointly -
    15%: $0 - $43,850
    28%: $43,851 - $105,950
    31%: $105,951 - $161,450
    36%: $161,451 - $288,350
    39.6%: $288,350+

Corporate Tax -
    15%: $0 - $50,000
    25%: $50,001 - $75,000
    34%: $75,001 - $100,000
    39%: $100,001 - $335,000
    34%: $335,001 - $10,000,000
    35%: $10,000,001 - $15,000,000
    38%: $15,000,001 - $18,333,333
    35%: $18,333,333+

Capital Gains Tax -
    Seller’s Income: 15% 28% 31% 36% 39.6%
    Less Than 1 Year: 15% 28% 31% 36% 39.6%
    1 to 5 Years: 10% 20% 20% 20% 20%
    Over 5 Years: 10% 20% 20% 20% 20%
    Long-term sale of art work/collectibles is 28%

Federal Gas Tax -
    Gasoline: 18.4 cents
    Diesel: 24.4 cents

Dividends Tax -
    15% 28% 31% 36% 39.6%

TMIA/CEJIA/EMAA (Democrat) vs Responsible Government Tax and Spending Act (RGTSA) (Republican)
    Income

Tax Brackets (Single and Married)
    Single Filer (Democrat proposal, TMIA)-
    15%: $0 - $30,000
    26%: $30,001 - $70,000
    29%: $70,001 - $135,000
    36%: $135,001 - $300,000
    39.6%: $300,000+

Single Filer (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    15%: $0 - $35,000
    26%: $35,001 - $70,000
    29%: $70,001 - $140,000
    34%: $140,001 - $315,000
    38%: $315,000+

Married Filing Jointly (Democrat proposal, TMIA)-
    15%: $0 - $45,000
    26%: $45,001 - $110,000
    29%: $110,001 - $165,000
    36%: $165,001 - $300,000
    39.6%: $300,000+

Married Filing Jointly (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    15%: $0 - $50,000
    26%: $50,001 - $120,000
    29%: $120,001 - $200,000
    34%: $200,001 - $320,000
    38%: $320,000+

Corporate Tax (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    15%: $0 - $100,000
    25%: $100,001 - $200,000
    29%: $200,001 - $300,000
    31%: 300,000 - $500,000
    33%: $500,001 - $5,500,000
    35%: $5,500,001 - $10,500,000
    37%: $10,500,001 - $20,000,000
    36%: $20,000,000+

Corporate Tax (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    25%: $100,001 - $300,000
    28%: $300,000 - $500,000
    31%: $500,001 - $5,500,000
    32%: $5,500,001 - $11,000,000
    33%: $11,000,000+

Capital Gains Tax (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    Seller’s Income: 15% 26% 29% 36% 39.6%
    Less Than 1 Year: 15% 26% 29% 36% 39.6%
    1 to 5 Years: 10% 20% 20% 20% 25%
    Over 5 Years: 10% 20% 20% 25% 25%
    Long-term sale of art work/collectibles is increased to 29%

Capital Gains Tax (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    Seller’s Income: 15% 26% 29% 34% 38%
    Less Than 1 Year: 15% 26% 29% 34% 38%
    1 to 5 Years: 10% 15% 15% 20% 20%
    Over 5 Years: 10% 15% 20% 20% 20%
    Long-term sale of art work/collectibles remains at 28%

Federal Gas Tax (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    -Gasoline: 20 cents
    -Diesel: 25 cents

Federal Gas Tax (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Gasoline: 17 cents
    -Diesel: 22 cents

Dividends Tax (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    15% 26% 29% 36% 39.6%

Dividends Tax (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    15% 26% 29% 34% 38%

Estate and Gift Tax (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    -Keep Estate Tax Exemption at $675,000 for 3 years
    -Raise Maximum Estate Tax to 60%
    -Keep Gift Tax Exemption at $10,000 for 5 years
    -Raise Maximum Gift Tax to 60%

Estate and Gift Tax (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Increase Estate Tax Exemption to $1,000,000
    -Decrease Maximum Estate Tax to 50%
    -Increase Gift Tax Exemption to $12,500
    -Decrease Maximum Gift Tax to 50%

FICA Tax (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    -Social Security: 6.2% for $0 - $84,000
    -$84,000+ [EXEMPT of Social Security Tax]
    -Medicare: 1.45% for all Taxable Income

FICA Tax (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Social Security: 6.2% for $0 - $76,400
    -$76,400+ [EXEMPT of Social Security Tax]

Minimum Wage (Democrat proposal, TMIA) -
    -Raise the Federal Minimum Wage from $5.15 to $6.25
    -Raise the Tipped Minimum Wage from $2.13 to $5

Minimum Wage (Republican proposal, RGTSA)-
    -No increase to the Minimum Wage, Federal or Tipped, let Free Market decide

Retirement (Democrat proposal, TMIA)-
    -Moderate boost to survivors' benefits receiving Social Security to aid widows
    -A reduction in the 'Motherhood Penalty' by 80%
    -Social Security Plus to aid lower-to-middle income families:
    —Low-income workers would receive $3 for every $1 saved, up to $2,000 annually
    —Middle-income workers would receive $1 for every $3 save, up to $2,000 annually

Retirement (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Minimal boost to survivors' benefits receiving Social Security to aid widows
    -No reduction in the 'Motherhood Penalty'
    -No Social Security Plus, encourage 401k/Roth IRAs

Education Proposals (Democrat proposal, EMAA) -
    -Increase Funding by $220 billion
    -Hire 100,000 new teachers
    -More Elective Classes/Hands-on Trade Skill Training
    -$2,400 permanent pay raise for teachers
    -$1,200 permanent pay raise for administrators
    -$1,600 permanent pay raise for paraprofessional/support staff

Education Proposals (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Increase funding by $130 billion
    -Hire 100,000 new teachers and support staff
    -$1,000 one-time untaxed bonus check for teachers
    -$500 one-time untaxed bonus check for administrators
    -$400 one-time untaxed bonus check for paraprofessional/support staff
    -Federal School Voucher Program

Tax Credits and Deductions (Democrat, TMIA/EMAA) -
    -Stay-at-Home Mothers: $600 tax credit
    -Caregiver Tax Credit: $3,000
    -College Tuition Deduction: $10,000 per year, up to 6 years
    -Tax Credits for Childcare Costs
    -Earned Income Tax Credit: From $2,524 to $3,500
    -Child Tax Credit: $1,500 per child, up to six, aged 0-18

Tax Credits and Deductions (Republican, RGTSA) -
    -Stay-at-Home Mother: $400 tax credit
    -Caregiver Tax Credit: None
    -College Tuition Deduction: $1,500 per year, up to 4 years
    -No Tax Credits for Childcare Costs
    -Earned Income Tax Credit: From $2,524 to $2,800
    -Child Tax Credit: $1,000 per child, up to six, aged 0-16

University Aid (Democrat proposal, EMAA) -
    -Increasing Pell Grants from $4,840 to $5,400
    -Cap Federal Student Loan interest rates from ~6.32% to 4.5%
    -Extend repayment pause after graduation from 6 months to 12
    -Tripling the number of Discretionary Grants from U.S. Dept. of Education

University Aid (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Increasing Pell Grants from $4,840 to $4,950
    -No cap on Federal Student Loan Interest rates, let the Free Market decide
    -No pause extension increase between graduation and repayment, remains at 6 months
    -No increase in number of Discretionary Grants from the U.S. Dept. of Ed.

Energy (Democrat proposal, CEJIA) -
    -Extensive tax credits/deductions for companies that are...
    —researching and developing clean energy technology
    —constructing or purchasing renewable energy technology
    -Increased Tax Credits for purchasing Electrical Vehicles
    -The Federal Government will double its use of clean energy within 5 years
    -By 2020 50% of all U.S. Govt energy consumption will originate from renewable sources
    -Funding for thorough inspection/maintenance of current nuclear power plants
    -Cease decommissioning nuclear plants until other renewable energy use increases by 500%
    -Funding for twelve more nuclear power plants to held reduce energy costs
    -Establish a Cap and Trade System to track and limit CO2 emissions
    -A Carbon Tax of $20 per metric ton of emissions

Energy (Republican proposal, RGTSA) -
    -Reduce tax credits/deductions to a quarter of what Dems proposed
    -Minimal tax credit increase for those who purchase an American made Electrical Vehicle
    -The U.S. Government will not be obligated to increase use of clean energy
    -Funding for thorough inspect and maintenance of current nuclear power plants
    -Funding for eight new nuclear power plants
    -Delay decommissioning of plants by 3 years
    -No Cap and Trade System for CO2 Emissions
    -No Carbon Tax
    -Increased Federal subsidies for Fossil Fuel companies
    -Streamline, simplify and speed up review and approval of Fossil Fuel drilling permits

Accounts Restructure, Investment, and Servicing Education Act (ARISE Act)
    Single Filer -
    15%: $0 - $30,000
    26%: $30,001 - $70,000
    29%: $70,001 - $135,000
    36%: $135,001 - $300,000
    39%: $300,000+

Married Filing Jointly -
    15%: $0 - $45,000
    26%: $45,001 - $100,000
    29%: $100,001 - $180,000
    36%: $180,001 - $300,000
    39%: $300,000+

Corporate Tax -
    25%: $100,001 - $200,000
    29%: $200,001 - $300,000
    31%: 300,000 - $500,000
    33%: $500,001 - $5,500,000
    34%: $5,500,001 - $15,000,000
    36%: $15,000,001 - $20,500,000
    35%: $20,500,000+

Capital Gains Tax -
    Seller’s Income: 15% 26% 29% 36% 39%
    Less Than 1 Year: 15% 26% 29% 36% 39%
    1 to 5 Years: 10% 20% 20% 20% 20%
    Over 5 Years: 10% 20% 20% 20% 25%
    Long-term sale of art work/collectibles is increased to 29%

Federal Gas Tax -
    -Gasoline: 18 cents
    -Diesel: 23 cents

Dividends Tax -
    15% 26% 29% 36% 39%

Estate and Gift Tax -
    -Keep Estate Tax Exemption at $675,000 for 2 years
    -Maintain Maximum Estate Tax at 55%
    -Keep Gift Tax Exemption at $10,000 for 3 years
    -Maintain Maximum Gift Tax at 55%

FICA Tax -
    -Social Security: 6.2% for $0 - $76,500
    -$76,500+ [EXEMPT of Social Security Tax]

Minimum Wage -
    -Federal Minimum Wage increased from $5.15 to $5.50
    -Tipped Minimum Wage increased from $2.13 to $3

Retirement -
    -Moderate boost to survivors' benefits receiving Social Security to aid widows
    -A reduction in the 'Motherhood Penalty' by 25%
    -Social Security Plus to aid lower-to-middle income families:
    —Low-income workers would receive $1 for every $2 saved, up to $1,000 annually
    —Middle-income workers would receive $1 for every $3 save, up to $1,000 annually

Education Proposals -
    -Increase Funding by $185 billion
    -Hire 100,000 new teachers
    -$1,500 one-time untaxed bonus check for teachers
    -$1,000 one-time untaxed bonus check for administrators
    -$1,200 one-time untaxed bonus check for Paraprofessional/Support Staff

Tax Credits and Deductions -
    -Stay-at-Home Mothers: $450 tax credit
    -Caregiver Tax Credit: $1,000
    -College Tuition Deduction: $2,500 per year, up to 4 years
    -Minimal Tax Credits for Childcare Costs
    -Earned Income Tax Credit: From $2,524 to $3,000
    -Child Tax Credit: $1,200 per child, up to six, aged 0-17
    -No tax credit for health insurance costs

University Aid -
    -Increasing Pell Grants from $4,840 to $5,000
    -No cap on Federal Student Loan Interest rates, let the Free Market decide
    -No pause extension increase between graduation and repayment, remains at 6 months
    -Doubling the number of Discretionary Grants from U.S. Dept. of Ed for two years

Energy -
    -3/4 of the proposed tax credits/deductions in the CEJIA for companies that research and develop, construct or purchase renewable energy technology
    -Moderate increase to Tax Credit for those purchasing Electrical Vehicles Made in America
    -The U.S. Government will not be obligated to increase use of clean energy
    -Funding for thorough inspection/maintenance of current nuclear power plants
    -Cease decommissioning nuclear plants until other sources of renewable energy use increases by 200%
    -Funding for nine more nuclear power plants to held reduce energy costs
    -Establish a Cap and Trade System to track and limit CO2 emissions
    -No Carbon Tax

Days after the ARISE Act was introduced to the House, it was voted upon the following Tuesday. It easily passed with 337 voting 'Yay' and 95 voting 'Nay' and 3 abstaining. A majority of the NO vote came from the GOP, but several deficit hawk Democrats alongside progressives criticized it, though for different reasons. Deficit hawks declared the bill didn't pay for itself due to most of the tax increases being scrapped which would threaten 2002's projected surplus.

Progressive Democrats on the other hand criticized with scorn the gutted social spending, especially the reduced university education tax credits and deductions though the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit were viewed more favorably. For libertarian Republicans, the increased government spending was apocryphal and wasteful. Republicans politicians who unabashedly supported Big Oil balked at the significant increase in investment into green energy, seeing it as a threat to the stranglehold petroleum had on the American energy and the economy.

Despite unhappy voices from factions of both parties, President Gore nonetheless declared it a significant victory. The next day the Senate voted on the ARISE Act, passing it 71-29. The following day on April 19th the bill was on Gore's desk and the President signed it to much aplomb and applause, less than twenty-four hours before the conclusion of his First Hundred Days.

Now with a major legislative victory in his pocket, Gore turned to his next focus: a meet-and-greet tour across the world to visit foreign allies. The focus of the trip was to push through trade discussions, discuss military bases, and establish or assure relationships not as a former Vice President but now as the leader of the Free World. As Gore readied for the trip, he held several high-level briefings with his National Security Council concerning the warnings Ahmad Shah Massoud delivered in Brussels two weeks ago about an attack on American soil being imminent...

—————
    TL;DR
    The Democrat TMIA/CEJIA/EMAA bills got combined and lobbed with the Republican RGTSA to create the ARISE Act. It waters down the Dem proposals but they get enough of them through to count as a success. The highlights are:
    -Minimum Wage was raised to $5.50/hr
    -a lot of (watered) down tax credits and deductions were passed to help low-to-middle income people
    -3/4 of the Clean Energy proposals were passed
    -a Cap and Trade system was adopted

Last edited:
    Chapter Four - Gore's Global Tour
  • Chapter Four
    Gore's Global Tour
    May 2001 - September 2001
    President Gore departs the United States for the United Kingdom, the first stop on Gore's so-called 'Global Tour.' Air Force One left Andrews Air Force Base early this morning, around 5:13am.
    The Hill, May 2001

62b320136ab6180018cfe586

President Gore working on his address to the British Parliament, May 2001

Gore arrives to London with much aplomb, embracing Prime Minister Tony Blair as the cameras rolled. The two gave a press conference in front of 10 Downey Street to close to a hundred reporters. Both reiterated the long-standing friendship between the two nations, and that the world will be guided by Western democracies into the 21st Century.
    Daily Mirror, May 2001

1687230862724.jpeg

President Gore and Prime Minister Blair outside 10 Downey Street, May 2001

"My Lord Chancellor, Mister Speaker, Mister Prime Minister, my lords and ladies, and members of the House of Commons. I am honored to stand before you today to once again reiterate and reaffirm the special relationship shared between our two countries. Together the United States and the United Kingdom have achieved much over the last century. We have fought beside one another in two World Wars, and shielded Europe from Soviet aggression during the Cold War.

It is a new century, a new beginning for the world, but one filled with new challenges. Wealth inequality continues to grow at a disturbing rate, leaving hundreds of million in abject poverty while the top one percent's accumulation of wealth plurality continues. If the prosperity and advancement of humanity is to continue, then this trend must stop. When more people can afford to live and grow in a more economically equal environment, an economic boom is to follow.

Since the 1970s militant extremism amongst radical elements across the world have risen exponentially, sparking an uptick of terrorist activities. If these rogue forces are to be countered then we must pledge not to treat these terrorists as we would an enemy nation in a time of war. They do not abide by the laws of war or the Geneva Convention, seeing civilians as a ready target. They are murderers, butchers, evil to their core and we shall never negotiate with them!

Another dire threat to not just our two nations but to the world entire is climate change. Much work has been done to address this great issue, notably the Kyoto Protocol. It is one of my great regrets as Vice President that the United States did not sign said Protocol. However America is at long last making significant strides. With my signing of the ARISE Act a couple of weeks ago, the United States will now have a cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions. This initiative in tandem with other actions to be taken from that landmark legislation, will reduce the U.S. carbon footprint by fifteen percent by 2010 with that reduction increasing to thirty-five percent by 2020. We must encourage rapidly rising developing economies, such as China and India, to adopt similar measures to preserve the Earth for future generations..."
    —Excerpt from Gore's speech to a joint session of the Parliament of the United Kingdom at Westminster Hall, May 2001

As American President Gore makes his way across Europe, there is a pattern of emphasis not only on combating climate change but terrorism as well, with emphasis on the ongoing civil war Afghanistan. One anonymous aide shared, "The president feels very strongly about democracy thriving in countries that have had difficulty instituting it. Of concern was Afghanistan, but so were other nations such as Iraq, Iran and so on."

It is believed that President Gore is using this international trip to set the stage of discussion for the upcoming G7 Summit to be held in Italy in two months time.
    Le Monde, May 2001

With the European leg of the Global Tour over, Gore travels to Cairo to meet with several African and Middle Eastern representatives to discuss financial investment in Africa and Southwest Asia, as well as security concerns and Iraq’s continued defiance of the No Fly Zones.
    New York Times, May 2001

Senator Jim Jeffords (R-VT) leaves the Republican Party, becoming an Independent that will caucus with the Democratic Party. This has increased the Democrats hold on the Senate from 50 to 51 Senators, having been deadlocked against the GOP at a split with Vice President Shaheen providing the tie-breaking vote. This has caused a minor uproar amongst Senate Republicans with Minority Leader Lott delivering remarks on Jeffords on the Capitol steps in what he labeled "A betrayal of conservative principles and loyalty."
    The Hill, June 2001

Tropical Storm Allison slams into Houston, Texas, before advancing into Louisiana and progressing northward to southern Pennsylvania. In total Allison killed 38 people and caused $9 billion worth of damage. President Gore, during a public conference with Seoul South Korean President Kim Dae-jung, made remarks about Allison. "Allison is but another example of the affect climate change has on weather patterns, leading to increased frequency of storms that are proving deadlier and deadlier. The world must do better to combat this. America must do better, and we must lead the way in this regard."

President Gore declared that nearly a hundred counties along Allison's path were to become disaster areas, allowing the citizens apply for aid. FEMA and state equivalents from Texas to Pennsylvania quickly respond, setting up temporary housing, emergency food, water and electricity to damaged areas. Though many applaud the Federal Government's quick response to provide aid and rebuild, some amongst the GOP criticize Gore for him being out of country and not immediately returning to the States following Allison's landfall.
    The Washington Post, June 2001

A missile has hit a soccer field in Tal Afar, Iraq, killing 23 and wounding 11. The Iraqi government claims it was an American-British airstrike but U.S. officials say it was in fact an Iraqi missile that malfunctioned.

This incident, in addition of several breaches of the No Fly Zones by Iraqi air forces over the past year, has led to President Gore and Prime Minister Blair to consider the resumption of more comprehensive sanctions rather than the targeted sanctions the United Nations Security Council had favored since the mid-1990s. Another proposal from the Gore Administration to punish recent Iraqi transgression was to add an additional $2.5 billion that Iraq would be required to pay to Kuwait as reparations for the Persian Gulf War as well as doubling the frequency of weapon inspections.

The UN Security Council is scheduled to convene to vote on these proposals in the coming weeks.
    Stars and Stripes, June 2001

The G7 Summit is held in Genoa, Italy. Despite anti-globalization protests, which resulted in one demonstrator Carlo Giuliani being shot and arrested, the Summit is largely seen as a success in the progress made toward addressing food insecurity, the environment and global poverty.

Carlo Giuliani, after recovering from his wound, would face trial for attacking a police van with a fire extinguisher. The more violent wing of anti-globalization lost some of their support as Giuliani went on blubbering rants against the so-called 'international New World Corporate-Order" as well as breaking down into tears several times. It is expected Giuliani will be charged for assault against a police officer.
    Il Secolo XIX, July 2001

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill approving oil exploration of the Alaskan Arctic National Wildlife Refuge on party lines, 219 Republicans vs 214 Democrats and two Independents who caucus with the Democrats, brining the final tally to 219-216. The bill is expected to falter in the Democrat-held Senate, but is being used by Republicans to display their energy agenda. If the bill is somehow able to pass the Senate (if a few Democrats vote in its favor) President Gore has gone on record stating he would veto the bill.

In response to the bill, Gore has signed several executive orders to create seven more national monuments, protecting roughly a million acres for preservation. White House Press Secretary Chris LeHane has stated, "The President is in close discussion with Interior Secretary Miller on further expanding the National Park System and will be a major legislative push next year to increase the number of national monuments and national parks available to the American people."
    Roll Call, August 2001

After a speech from Secretary of Defense Norman Augustine that $2.3 trillion of Pentagon spending is unaccounted for, President Gore orders a thorough audit of the Federal Government to "Track every penny, to make sure they are all accounted for and not wasted." It is estimated by the Congressional Budget Office that this audit and the enforced reduction of improper payments will save hundreds of billions of dollars over the next decade.
    —CNN, August 2001

Gunfire at a mosque in northern Virginia! An FBI raid into the Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center turns deadly as eight individuals with suspected ties to the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda resist arrest. Details are unknown at this time, especially how the FBI ascertained the threat and location of the suspects. What is known is that five of the suspects were shot and killed in the firefight, with three more wounded and taken to Inova Fairfax Medical Campus for treatment under heavy guard.

Two FBI SWAT team members were injured in the firefight but early reports state both will live and should make a full recovery.
    Fairfax Times, August 2001

640px-PXL_20230204_142755483.jpg

Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center days prior to the FBI raid, August 2001

It has been over a week since the FBI raid against the Dar Al-Hijrah mosque and the identity of the eight now confirmed terrorists has been identified and released by the FBI. Listed below are the terrorists who were at the mosque when the raid began:
    Imam Anwar al-Awlaki (wounded, taken into custody)
    Nawaf al-Hazmi (shot and killed)
    Salem al-Hazmi (wounded, taken into custody)
    Hani Hanjour (shot and killed)
    Khalid al-Midhar (shot and killed)
    Majed Moqed (shot and killed)
    Ahmed al-Ghamdi (shot and killed)
    Hamza al-Ghamdi (wounded, taken into custody)

Nawaf al-Hazmi and Khalid al-Midhar were on the FBI's Terrorist Watch List, raising concerns on their entrance into the U.S, with several Republican and a handful of Democrats pushing for stronger immigration controls and more secure borders.

Acting FBI Director Thomas Pickard released a statement concerning the raid.

"The raid carried out last week by our brave men and women of the FBI was the result of months of painstaking detective work. Initially starting with information given to us by an FBI informant, whose identity shall be kept confidential, this lead was followed up with anonymous tips from several sources. Using these we were able to identify a terrorist cell with suspected ties to Al-Qaeda operating inside the United States, using the Dar Al-Hijrah mosque as either a front or base of operations. The mosque was under surveillance for a week before the raid was carried out when we believed a majority of the cell members were present. The where, the why and the when are unknown at this time but we know a terrorist attack was planned to happen within the next few months somewhere on the East Coast. That potential attack has been foiled thanks to these efforts.

Though eight members of this cell have either been killed or put under arrest, we believe there may be more out there. We won't know who or how many until we proceed further with our investigation and interrogation of the suspects. As a result of other Al-Qaeda forces likely at play somewhere in the country I have informed President Gore of the severity of this case and he has assured me the full support of not just the Department of Justice but of the entire Federal Government.

If there are more of these terrorists out there, we will find them and they will face the full might of the American judicial system. Thank you."
    The Washington Post, August 2001

Following the Dar Al-Hijrah Raid, President Gore orders the various U.S. intelligence agencies, services, and bureaus to coordinate information related to the Raid. An emphasis on the terrorists, both the dead and captured ones, will lead to a deeper scrutiny of Al-Qaeda and its leader Osama bin Laden.
    The Washington Times, August 2001

Nearly three weeks after the Dar Al-Hijrah Raid new information has been released to the public. The cell's tentative connection to Al-Qaeda was confirmed, the evidence obtained through apprehended laptop computers and documents in the mosque and various apartments the cell members lived in. The president has ordered $20,000,000 worth of humanitarian aid, largely food, clean water and medicine, to be delivered to the Afghani Northern Alliance. Furthermore, citing close ties between Al-Qaeda and the Taliban, another shipment is to be delivered later this month but of a military nature with a price tag around $10,000,000. Accompanying this military aid package will be U.S. military advisors and a State Department attaché to begin establishing a U.S. Consulate in Fayzabad. This move is to give the Northern Alliance some legitimacy as the recognized government of Afghanistan.

Other nations that have thrown their support behind the Northern Alliance, such as Russia, India, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are joined by Germany and the United Kingdom. Russia, India, Germany and the UK have all agreed to send substantial humanitarian aid packages alongside moderate military aid in the form of weapons and advisors.

While unconfirmed it is believed the CIA is increasing its presence in Afghanistan, attempting to uncover more about the prevented attack on the East Coast and of Al-Qaeda operations in the U.S. and in Afghanistan itself.
    New York Times, September 2001

Last edited:
    Chapter Five: 3/13
  • Chapter Five
    3/13
    September 2001 - March 2002

Khwaja Bahauddin District, Takhar Province, Afghanistan
    Northern Alliance territory
    September 10th, 2001

The room was sweltering, cooled only by a slowly moving ceiling fan that creaked with each full turn. Inside were two men, Dahmane Abd al-Sattar and Bouraoui el-Ouaer. Both were sweating profusely, not all of it due to the heat. In between them was a wooden table with flaking paint, littered with their camera equipment that housed explosive material to construct a small bomb.

Having been chosen for this mission with the blessing of Osama bin Laden, they knew the possibility of death was all but certain, yet their commitment to Allah was stronger than their fear. They had bluffed, lied, manipulated and killed to get to this point. They were so close now.

The door to the room opened violently and three men armed with AK-47s stood there. Dahmane planted a false smile while Bouraoui eyed the equipment on the table.

"Surrender now and you’ll live," one said.

Dahmane rushed the men, their assault rifles cutting him down. Bouraoui attempted to reach the explosive materials on the table but was shot as well, falling to the ground in pain, blood pooling around his body.

As his vision darkened Bouraoui heard rather than saw Ahmad Shah Massoud standing behind the gunmen, talking to others in the hallway.

"You were right, my friends. Please relay my thanks to Directors Timmermans and Tenet for their aid in this matter.”

Bouraoui died, joining Dahmane in death as failed assassins.

The Lion of Panjshir would live on.
    ------
    An attempted Al-Qaeda assassination against Northern Alliance leader Ahmad Shah Massoud was foiled yesterday. The two would-be assassins resisted arrest and were killed. Their bomb, smuggled inside a camcorder and a battery pack, was confiscated and later disposed of.

Though unconfirmed, it is believed American CIA and Belgian VSSE were involved, though neither agency has released a statement confirming or denying this.

It is unknown at this time if the Taliban were informed of this Al-Qaeda plot, though sources within the State Department deny that the Taliban were aware of it.
    --MSNBC, September 2001

The U.S. Consulate in Fayzabad opens to much local aplomb, with flowers and gifts sent to the consulate as welcome by many residents in the city. Intelligence officers and the Marine Security Guard check the gifts for listening devices and explosives but thus far nothing malicious has been detected.
    --Stars and Stripes, September 2001

Following information pieced together from the Dar Al-Hijrah Raid, President Gore orders increased security at airports across the U.S. as a precaution. Evidence showed that one of the terrorists killed in the raid, Hani Hanjour, had taken flight lessons in Florida and Arizona back during the 1990s. Knowing of Al-Qaeda's links to the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, Gore orders an increased FBI presence in New York City for the foreseeable future or until the terrorists that were apart of the Dar Al-Hijrah cell that had thus far evaded capture were apprehended.
    --Associated Press, September 2001

It has been three weeks since letters containing anthrax spores were detected at a post office in Princeton, New Jersey. The Anthrax Letters, as they would be called, were to be sent to ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, the New York Post, and the National Enquirer. Three people at the post office were exposed, with one eventually proving fatal. Fear of a bioweapon attack skyrockets across North America and Western Europe.

The U.S. Postal Service, in conjunction with the FBI and CDC, announced they will update safety protocols while simultaneously installing new equipment over the next year to better detect and counter harmful bacteria or viruses smuggled into the mail. Though postal services will still be greatly used, many companies and individuals begin to use Email more frequently due to concerns of safety as well as its ease of use and access.

The letters, due to a smudged fingerprint on one of the postage stamps, are traced back to Bruce Edwards Ivins, an American microbiologist employed as a senior biodefense researcher at the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID). As law enforcement officers surrounded Ivins' home, the domestic bio-terrorist killed himself via drug overdose.
    --Washington Post, October 2001

Though some economists estimate that the early 2000s recession is ‘over’ unemployment has reached 5.2%. That’s the highest in six years! This just shows the country continues to reel under bad Democratic economic policy.

The recession, coupled with the Dot-com Bubble Burst from March 2000, has seen President Gore's approval numbers drop. Though the economy is predicted to show signs of recovery by January 2002, a recent Gallup poll shows Gore's approval ratings has dropped from 55% to 49%. This is the first time that the President has dipped below the 50% approval threshold as more and more Americans are coming to realize that Big Government does not always mean Best Government.
    --Fox News, November 2001

Secretary of State Richard Holbrooke and Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov to meet in Helsinki in several days time to open a diplomatic dialogue for another Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) to further reduce nuclear strategic weapons between the two countries.
    --ABC News, December 2001

Following its declaration of bankruptcy in December 2001, the U.S. Department of Justice announces it will be investigating Enron on charges of fraud and insider trading.
    --Wall Street Journal, January 2002

"I am pleased to report that Ted Besen, Mikael Gross, and Tracy Bridges have all been formally invited and have accepted to attend the president's State of the Union later this month. The president aims to honor their heroism in the face of such tragedy. Our thought and prayers, of course, go out to those affected by the horrid events that took place at Appalachian School of Law last week."
    --White House Press Secretary Chris LeHane, January 2002

“Mr. Speaker. Madam Vice President. Our First Lady and Second Gentleman.

Members of Congress and the Cabinet. Leaders of our military.

Mr. Chief Justice, Associate Justices, and retired Justices of the Supreme Court.

And you, my fellow Americans.

I start tonight by thanking the 107th Congress for the work that has been done over the past year. Together we have made groundbreaking investments in education and energy that will create hundreds of thousands of high-paying American jobs.

We have passed tax reform that puts more money into every American’s pocket, allowing more of their hard-earned cash to stay with them.

After decades of half measures we have finally passed measures to combat climate change to preserve our world for future generations.

Social Security, that hallmark program that helps so many of our elderly avoid poverty, has been reformed to better aid retirees. Furthermore the creation of the optional Social Security Plus will increase benefits to those who choose to join it, protected from any future uncertainty in the free market that affects private retirement plans. And let me be clear on this. These programs are not entitlements as some Republicans label them. The American people pay into Social Security and when they reach their golden years they deserve to get that money back.
    Lastly we have raised the minimum wage to help people buy groceries, pay their bills and to save for the future. We have narrowed the gap between tipped and non-tipped minimum wage.

I hope the ARISE Act will be but the first of many such exemplar pieces of legislation to pass through this chamber.

Though significant, more needs to be done.

Tonight I will unveil to the American people what I, and many here in this Congress know, will benefit this country…

…Our nation’s infrastructure needs to be improved upon. This will bolster America’s economy, create thousands of jobs and drive down commodity prices. Higher internet speeds…

The American economy has proven itself durable and ever-growing. Why shouldn’t all Americans reap the benefit of our robust economic health. I, and many here do as well, believe that they should. I therefore recommend to this Congress that we raise the minimum wage from $5.50 an hour to $6.50 by the end of 2004…

…following the deadly mass shooting at the Appalachian School of Law, I call upon Congress to make the Federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent. In addition, it is the responsibility of this government to close the so-called ‘boyfriend loophole’ that allows romantic partners who have a history of domestic violence and stalking to purchase firearms. This oversight needs to be corrected.

Furthermore we need to establish a nationwide seven day pause so as to conduct thorough background checks for anyone who seeks to purchase high capacity firearms. These efforts will lower gun violence, save lives and ensure that America remains safe for all…

…the anthrax attacks from September last year show that domestic terrorism is as great of a threat as foreign-based terror. We must remain strong against this tyranny both here at home and abroad…

…negotiations for a new reduction in strategic weapons between the United States and Russia is continuing apace. I pray that when it is concluded that this body will pass legislation affirming it and I will sign it to make our world a safer place…

…funding for STEM cell research will increase, and with it our understanding…

...thank you and God bless these United States of America."
    --excerpt from President Gore's first State of the Union, February 2002

The St. Louis Rams win their second Super Bowl in three years, defeating the New England Patriots 24-23 in Super Bowl XXXVI.
    --USA Today, February 2002

After months of quiet jockeying and internal restructuring the Reform Party holds its national convention in Dallas, Texas. In light of declining support and interest following the 2000 Presidential Election the Reform Party National Committee announces that the party will relaunch and refocus itself for the upcoming elections. The 'ten pillars' of what some would dub as the 'ideology of New Reformism' would be:

1. Balanced Budget Amendment
    2. Lower taxes across the board
    3. Smaller Federal Government
    4. Non-interventionist foreign policy
    5. Stricter immigration laws
    6. Widespread deregulation/Keep American industry in the U.S.
    7. Replace Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security with Free Market alternatives
    8. Repeal NAFTA and other similar free trade initiatives/anti-globalist
    9. Decriminalization of certain drugs, specifically marijuana
    10. Recognition and legalization of same-sex couples.

The keynote speech was delivered by Ross Perot who gave his blessing to this retooled and reborn Reform Party. Perot emphasized that if they were to achieve any success in future presidential campaigns then they needed to secure local and state-wide elections first. Perot emphasized the party needed to grow "bottom up and not top down." Representatives from dozens of smaller political parties were invited and attended to try and bridge support amongst them groups.

At the conclusion of the speech, Ross Perot shook hands on-stage with Pat Buchanan, who was to act as the first Chairman of this new Reform Party, as well as Ralph Nader, Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura who was returning to the fold, and Donald Trump who would go on to remain with the party, providing name recognition and funding.

Political operatives would note that this reinvigorated Reform Party's ideology features an ad-hoc mix of paleoconservative foreign policy, libertarian economics and a liberal domestic agenda. Few believe that the reinvigorated Reform Party will go anywhere but some pundits believe it might have success at local levels.
    --Fort Worth Telegram, February 2002

March 13th, 2002
    Boston, Massachusetts
    United States of America

Breaking news! We are receiving reports of an explosion at Boston's John Hancock Tower. A van has crashed into the building's lobby and exploded. We are not sure if this was accidental or intentional as of this moment though it is believed to be an act of terror…

…a train on the MTBA Green Line has been derailed following an explosion in one of the carriages. Police and emergency authorities quickly respond though there is mass confusion in parts of the city. Testaments from survivors tell of a dark haired man wearing a vest of home-made explosives who yelled 'Allahu Akbar!" before detonation…

…several small explosions have erupted in Copley Square, believed to be bombs hidden in duffel bags and back packs abandoned throughout the Square…

…President Gore, informed of the attacks in Boston, declares a state of emergency and federalizes the Massachusetts National Guard to aid in humanitarian and security efforts…

…gunfire in the Boston Public Library! Ten men of likely Middle Eastern descent entered the library soon before 11:00am and within moments had secured the building, firing automatic weapons at onlookers…

…Boston PD and FBI agents surround the Boston Public Library as the leader of this apparent terrorist attack spoke to the police over a megaphone. The speaker, who has been identified as Mohamed Atta, called for the United States to immediately leave the Middle East or he will detonate the explosives he and his fellow terrorists brought inside, which would kill hundreds of innocent people who were taken as hostages during the building’s seizure…

…the John Hancock Tower, infamous for its structural flaws, has collapsed hours after the van crashed into the lobby and exploded. The Tower was evacuated as quickly as humanly possible yet dozens of people were unable to be evacuated in time. It is currently unknown how many died in the initial explosion and subsequent collapse…

After a six hour standoff between the terrorists and law enforcement, FBI SWAT forces infiltrate the building. Within minutes all ten terrorists are dead. None of the major explosives were detonated, later defused by EOD bomb squads, but one terrorist wearing a suicide vest and detonated it after being wounded, killing nearly thirty hostages whom he surrounded himself with as a form of human shield.

As night covers the city of Boston, federal and local law enforcement swarm over the Cradle of Liberty. President Gore expands the state of emergency over the entirety of the East Coast, greatly limiting air traffic over the eastern seaboard. Across the country flights are delayed or stopped altogether, with trains nationwide beginning to be examined for explosives. Public and government buildings, both local, state and federal, will likely see increased security for weeks. U.S. military is put on high alert as the White House announces President Gore is set to deliver an address to the nation later tonight.
    —Washington Post, March 2002

"My fellow Americans, good evening. It is with great sorrow that I share with you tonight what has occurred in the city of Boston..."
    --beginning of President Gore's Address to the Nation, March 13th, 2002

Last edited:
    Chapter Six - Aftershock
  • Chapter Six
    Aftershock
    March 2002 - April 2002

"My fellow Americans, good evening. It is with great sorrow that I share with you tonight what has befallen the city of Boston.

Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts. The victims were in parks, on the metro, or in their offices. They were secretaries, businessmen and women, military and federal workers; moms and dads, friends and neighbors. Over a thousand lives were suddenly ended by this despicable act of terror that can only be labeled as evil.

The pictures and videos of the John Hancock Tower’s collapse, of the derailed train on the Green Line, and of the ravaged Boston Public Library have filled us all with disbelief and terrible sadness. Yet simmering beneath is a simmering, unyielding anger. These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed; America stands strong.

These terrorist attacks were done to shake the foundations of our institutions, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.

America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.

Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature. And we responded with the best of America -- with the daring of our rescue workers, the swift action of our law enforcement and military, with the caring for strangers and neighbors who came to help in any way they could.

Immediately following the explosion at John Hancock, I implemented our government's emergency response plans. Our military is powerful, and it's prepared. State and Federal emergency teams are working with local agencies in rescue and relief efforts.

Our first priority is to get help to those who have been injured, and to take every precaution to protect our citizens at home and around the world from further attacks.

The functions of our government continue without interruption. Our financial institutions remain strong, and the American economy will be open for business tomorrow morning.

The search is underway for those who are behind these evil acts. I've directed the full resources of of the federal government to find those responsible and to bring them to justice. We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them.

I appreciate so very much the members of Congress who have joined me in strongly condemning these attacks. And on behalf of the American people, I thank the many world leaders who have called to offer their condolences and assistance.

America and our friends and allies join with all those who want peace and security in the world, and we stand together to win the war against terrorism. Tonight, I ask for your prayers for all those who grieve, for the children whose worlds have been shattered, for all whose sense of safety and security has been threatened. And I pray they will be comforted by a power greater than any of us, spoken through the ages in Psalm 23: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me."

This is a day when every Americans from all walks of life unite in our resolve for security, safety, justice and peace. America has stood down enemies before, and we will do so again. None of us will ever forget this day. Yet, we go forward to defend freedom and all that is just and righteous in the world.

Thank you. Good night, and God bless America.”
    —President Gore’s Address to the Nation, March 13th, 2002

Dozens of nations across the world, many of whom are U.S. allies, raise their level of security/readiness due to heightened fears of terrorist attacks.
    —CBS, March 2002

It is believed the last of the bodies from the wreckage of John Hancock have been pulled out by emergency responders, bringing the total 3/13 death count thus far past eleven hundred. Thousands more people injured in the attack are recovering in hospitals across the city, though many in critical condition.
    —Boston Herald, March 2002

Days following the terrorist attack on Boston, the FBI has released the identities of the so-called ‘Boston bombers.’ Suspicions of their ties to Al-Qaeda have been confirmed by various intelligence and law enforcement agencies. It is believed that the 3/13 bombers were in fact apart of the same cell based at the Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center in Seven Corners, Virginia.
    —MSNBC, March 2002

After weeks of fierce debate between Congress and the White House, the fate of the U.S. 2001 federal budget surplus has been decided upon.

In total the surplus came out around $139 billion, less than what was projected in mid-2000 but still represented a significant amount. The lower count was likely due to the slowed economy during the mild 2001 Recession as well as the ARISE Act’s tax cuts and increased spending.

Secretary of the Treasury Lawrence Summers released in a statement today the breakdown of what the surplus will be.

1. $60 billion would be used to pay down the national debt.

2. $30 billion to be put into the ‘lockbox’ trust fund to further endow Social Security. Another $9 billion would be used to supplement Social Security Plus.

3. $17 billion is to kept in reserve to help fund short-term national emergencies or, due to recent events, large-scale military deployments that is to be expected over the coming months.

4. $4 billion to the Boston Reconstruction and Relief Fund, with a portion to help cover hazard pay for law enforcement and emergency response personnel on-site. A portion of the money would go on to help subsidize medical costs for affected individuals and for funeral costs to those who lost a loved one on 3/13.

5. $6 billion to upgrade security at airports, train stations, bus depots and State and Federal government buildings across the country.

6. $3 billion to boost funding to the Department of the Interior and EPA, to be used for cleanup and upkeep of national parks and monuments, for hiring more personnel and readying the newly designated national monuments for candidacy in becoming national parks.

7. $10 billion to the FEMA Disaster Relief Fund, replenishing the money spent in humanitarian aid and cleanup efforts following Tropical Storm Allison.
    Wall Street Journal, March 2002

The White House has announced the president will deliver a speech to a joint session of Congress.
    Washington Post, March 2002

Due to ongoing precaution and security concerns, Vice President Shaheen and the Cabinet will not be attending tonight's presidential address on Capitol Hill. They are to be dispersed at various undisclosed locations for the time being. Congress itself has selected thirty of its members, ten Senators and twenty Representatives, evenly split between Republicans and Democrats, to continue to act as a legislative body in case the worst were to happen tomorrow tonight. Understandable given the circumstances. After all, it has been barely a week since the 3/13 attack.
    New York Times, March 2002

British Prime Minister Tony Blair arrives in D.C. to attend President Gore's address.
    —USA Today, March 2002

"Mr. Speaker, Mr. President Pro Tempore, members of Congress, and fellow Americans:

In the normal course of events, Presidents come to this chamber to report on the state of the Union. Tonight, no such report is needed. It has already been delivered by the American people.

We have seen it in the courage of the people of Boston. We have seen it in the endurance of rescuers, working past exhaustion. We have seen the unfurling of flags, the lighting of candles, the giving of blood, the saying of prayers -- in English, Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, and so many others. We have seen the decency of a loving and giving people who have made the grief of strangers their own.

My fellow citizens, for the last ten days, the entire world has seen for itself the state of our Union -- and it is strong. (Applause.)

On the 13th of March, enemies of freedom committed an act of war against our country. Americans have known wars -- but for the past 137 years, they have been wars on foreign soil, except for one Sunday in 1941. Americans have known the casualties of war -- but not at the center of a great city on a peaceful day. Americans have known surprise attacks -- but never before on thousands of civilians. All of this was brought upon us in a single day -- and night fell on a different world, a world where freedom itself is under attack.

Americans have many questions tonight. Americans are asking: Who attacked our country? The evidence we have gathered all points to a collection of loosely affiliated terrorist organizations known as Al-Qaeda. They are the same murderers indicted for bombing American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, and responsible for bombing the USS Cole, and were the culprits whom used a place of worship in Virginia as a base of operations.

Al-Qaeda is to terror what the mafia is to crime. But its goal is not making money; its goal is remaking the world -- and imposing its radical beliefs on people everywhere.

This group and its leader -- a person named Osama bin Laden -- are linked to many other organizations in different countries…

…camps in places like Afghanistan, where they are trained in the tactics of terror. They are sent back to their homes or sent to hide in countries around the world to plot chaos and destruction.

The leadership of Al-Qaeda has great influence in Afghanistan and supports the Taliban regime in controlling most of that country. In Afghanistan, we see Al-Qaeda's vision for the world.

The United States respects the people of Afghanistan -- after all, we are currently its largest source of humanitarian aid -- but we condemn the Taliban regime. (Applause.) It is not only repressing its own people, it is threatening people everywhere by sponsoring and sheltering and supplying terrorists. By aiding and abetting murder, the Taliban regime is committing murder.

And tonight, the United States of America makes the following demands on the Taliban: Deliver to United States authorities all the leaders of Al-Qaeda who hide in your land. (Applause.) Release all foreign nationals, including American citizens, you have unjustly imprisoned. Protect foreign journalists, diplomats and aid workers in your country. Close immediately and permanently every terrorist training camp in Afghanistan, and hand over every terrorist, and every person in their support structure, to appropriate authorities. (Applause.) Give the United States full access to terrorist training camps, so we can make sure they are no longer operating.

These demands are not open to negotiation or discussion. (Applause.) The Taliban must act, and act immediately. They will hand over the terrorists, or they will share in their fate.

I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It's practiced freely by many millions of Americans, and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah blaspheme the name of Allah. (Applause.) The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them. (Applause.)

Americans are asking: How will we fight and win this war? We will direct every resource at our command -- every means of diplomacy, every tool of intelligence, every instrument of law enforcement, every financial influence, and every necessary weapon of war -- to the disruption and to the defeat of the global terror network.

This war will not be like the war against Iraq over a decade ago, with a decisive liberation of territory and a swift conclusion. It will not look like the air war above Kosovo three years ago, where no ground troops were used and not a single American was lost in combat.

Our response involves far more than instant retaliation and isolated strikes. Americans should not expect one battle, but a lengthy campaign, unlike any other we have ever seen. It may include dramatic strikes, visible on TV, and covert operations, secret even in success. We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive them from place to place, until there is no refuge or no rest. And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. (Applause.) From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime in the War on Terror.

Our nation has been put on notice: We are not immune from attack. We will take defensive measures against terrorism to protect Americans. Today, dozens of federal departments and agencies, as well as state and local governments, have responsibilities affecting homeland security. These efforts must be coordinated at the highest level. So tonight I ask Congress to, in the coming months, approve the creation of a new Cabinet-level position: the Department of Homeland Security. This new federal department will coordinate and analyze the vast assembly of information available to our intelligence and security agencies, as well as our military, to better protect America and prevent another heinous attack on our soil.

These measures are essential. But the only way to defeat terrorism as a threat to our way of life is to stop it, eliminate it, and destroy it where it grows. (Applause.)

This is not, however, just America's fight. And what is at stake is not just America's freedom. This is the world's fight. This is civilization's fight. This is the fight of all who believe in progress and pluralism, tolerance and freedom.

We ask every nation to join us. We will ask, and we will need, the help of police forces, intelligence services, and banking systems around the world. The United States is grateful that many nations and many international organizations have already responded -- with sympathy and with support. Nations from Latin America, to Asia, to Africa, to Europe, to the Islamic world. Perhaps the NATO Charter reflects best the attitude of the world: An attack on one is an attack on all.

Fellow citizens, we'll meet violence with patient justice -- assured of the rightness of our cause, and confident of the victories to come. In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom, and may He watch over the United States of America.

Thank you. (Applause.)
    —President Gore's Address to Congress, March 2002

Congress has passed a $41,000,000 humanitarian/military aid package for the Afghani Northern Alliance. Nearly thirty thousand U.S. troops have been deployed to the Middle East thus far, largely to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. It is rumored, though unconfirmed, that small teams of black op CIA and U.S. Special Forces have been deployed in Afghanistan following President Gore's declaration of a 'War on Terror.'

British, French, Italian, German and Dutch military forces have been spotted deploying to the Middle East, largely in the form of aircraft or naval assets though with sizable land forces.
    —New York Post, March 2002

I remember clearly where I was the day Operation Enduring Freedom began. It was April 10th, 2002, the day we invaded Taliban-controlled Afghanistan. I was in basic training with my brother Kevin. We sat in front of a TV wheeled in by a drill sergeant and watched as U.S. air power released explosive fury at the enemy thousands of miles away. Later I learned of the multi-pronged offensive, the aerial bombardment and the barreling of coalition forces towards Kabul.

As I sat there, tens of thousands of U.S. servicemen and servicewomen arrived in country, in many cases coming under fire from the enemy. By the time I arrived two years later, things seemed to have largely calmed down. It was rare for the surviving Taliban or terrorists to attack us directly but the threat never dissipated.

But at the time all I knew was this: we were at war and my time to serve was coming. All I needed was patience and hope that our men and women over there got out alive and that the enemy didn't.

I doubt anyone truly understood just how long we were going to be there in that quagmire.
    —From Phoenix to Kabul, My Call to Arms
    by Pat Tillman, published 2012
    Merriam Press

Last edited:
    Chapter Seven - Enduring Freedom
  • Chapter Seven
    Enduring Freedom
    April 2002 - August 2002

Fleet_5_nations.jpg

Joint US/UK/NL/FR naval taskforce in the Arabian Sea. April 2002
    Operation Enduring Freedom began on April 24th, 2002. It was the official start to the War on Terror. The first phase of the operation detailed bombardment and Tomahawk missile strikes against Al-Qaeda, and to a lesser degree Taliban, training camps, infrastructure and supply depots. For five days terrorist and Taliban positions were subject to the militarily and technological might of the United States. Over the following weeks the skies of Afghanistan would be filled with coalition (United States and its allies) aircraft, often times attacking targets of opportunity such as Taliban vehicles caravans, known Al-Qaeda bases and more.

As Taliban-held Afghanistan came under aerial assault not seen since the Afghan-Soviet War over thirteen years ago, Northern Alliance-held Afghanistan became a hotbed of coalition activity with transport planes making round-the-clock trips depositing troops, arms and munitions, foodstuffs, spare parts and the necessary infrastructure to construct forward operating bases. Hundreds of helicopters, from Blackhawks to Apaches, and aircraft from F-14s to F-117s took off and landed at commandeered and rapidly constructed airfields across friendly territory.

While coalition air forces attacked Taliban/Al-Qaeda across the country, allied ground forces, largely made up of U.S. and British forces, spearheaded the Northern Alliance offensive south and westward into Taliban territory on April 29th, 2002. Western tanks, artillery, and airpower pummeled the Taliban in what Secretary of Defense Norman Augustine labeled as a ‘shock and awe’ campaign.

max1200.jpg
    afghanistanattack2001.jpg

U.S. artillery battery firing at Taliban positions northeast of Kunduz, Afghanistan (top)
    U.S. B-52 bomber dropping its payload over Taliban positions (bottom)

Nearly a hundred thousand American soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen had been deployed to Afghanistan in the weeks following the 3/13 attack and confirmation that the Boston bombers were affiliated with Al-Qaeda. The Northern Alliance warmly welcomed coalition forces from over thirty nations. In the talks that followed it was stressed by Ahmad Shah Massoud that the Northern Alliance must not only partake in Enduring Freedom but needed to be seen as a instrumental factor in it so as not to appear as weak or as ‘Western puppets’ to the Afghani people which would have stained their legitimacy.

The United States and its allies agreed so when coalition forces set out from Fayzabad the Northern Alliance accompanied them in a varied assortment of rusting cars, pickup trucks and old Soviet Red Army ZIL-131 trucks.

Within two weeks of Enduring Freedom’s start the Taliban-held cities of Kunduz, Taloqan, Baghlan, Pul-i-Khumr, Asadabad, and Mihtarlam were liberated. The Taliban, taken back by the severity and scale of the offensive, withdraw, trading space for time as they desperately attempted to scrounge up enough fighters to stall coalition forces.

By May 14th, a mere twenty-one days after the beginning of combat operations (sixteen since the start of the ground offensive), coalition forces had reached the outskirts of Kabul and Jalalabad. Taliban leader Muhammad Omar reportedly withdrew to the city of Kandahar to organize the Taliban response.
    ———

Back in the States, President Gore summoned Congressional Democratic leadership to the White House.

ClintonRooseveltRoom.jpg

The Roosevelt Room where President Gore and Democratic leadership strategized a plan for the midterms, May 2002

The topics to be discussed were which upcoming legislation to push through Congress before the 2002 Midterms. Though the war in Afghanistan was proceeding well, with news media across the political spectrum showcasing the war and its prosecution under the Gore Administration in a positive light, the president and Congressional Democrats were worried that the Republicans would increase their hold on the House. Already some amongst the Republican Party were beginning to question, usually anonymously, what they labeled as the ‘ineffective security and failed intelligence network’ that led to 3/13.

Despite the ARISE Act leading the charge for the recovering economy from the Dot-com bubble burst and 2001 Recession, Gore’s domestic agenda had stalled since last autumn. By using the bump in popularity due to the government’s quick and visible response to the March 13th attack, Gore wished to pass key legislation that might be possible with a slim Republican House majority but that would be impossible with a dominant GOP House majority or if the GOP reclaimed the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Daschle and House Minority Leader Gephardt, their respective Whips, and a half-dozen key Democrats from both chambers convened in the Roosevelt Room to discuss what should be the Democratic Party's focus for the next half-year.

After much back-and-forth discussion a strategy was carefully developed.

“We have a unique opportunity to pursue real change that will benefit the American people. So, I leave the floor open. What do we have the best shot at passing, preferably with some Republican support. The more bipartisan it is, the less it is likely to be overturned later.”

Dick Gephardt spoke up. “Mr. President, Speaker Hastert has voiced support for closing the boyfriend loophole. After a year of talk I think he’s finally ready to get to work on it.”

“What about extending the AWB or making it permanent?”

The House Minority Leader shrugged. “That’s harder to say, sir. Making the Assault Weapons Ban permanent will be political suicide right now for a significant portion of the GOP. Many of them are in deep with the NRA. They’ll voice opposition to hell and back which would take the limelight away from the rest of our agenda. An extension is a maybe but we may have to give up a lot to get that.”

“I see,” Gore tapped the table. “What about the Homeland Security Act and PATRIOT Act? How are we on those?”

“They’ll be up for a vote within a week or two.”

“PATRIOT won’t have the wiretap for domestic calls, correct?”

“Yes, sir.”

“And the ability to hold immigrants indefinitely without trial. That’s gone too, right?”

“Yes, Mr. President,” Tom Daschle said. “Dick and I hammered the Republicans on that pretty hard. They’ve backed off if we accept their sole revision to it.”

“Revision?”

“Yes, sir. We’ve gotten them to agree that immigrants detained on suspected terrorist charge be subject to a trial within twenty-four months of their arrest.”

Gore sighed. “They agreed to back the bills as are then if we accept that change?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good, make a deal then. But tell them in no uncertain terms I am not going to allow warrantless searches of properties and records. If people are going to be investigated and arrested, we’re gonna do it by the book. We can't fight a war on terrorism if we embrace gray morality.”

Heads bobbed in agreement.

“What’s next?”

“Concerning the minimum wage hike and land preservation. The Republicans have said in no uncertain terms it is either one or the other.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, sir.”

Gore frowned, biting the inside of his lip in thought.

“Let’s go with land preservation and for the midterm ad push we emphasize raising the minimum wage again. We need to blast it on tv, radio, newspapers and the internet that the American people deserve a minimum wage of $6.50. Hit the Republicans hard on that."

Aides around the room were busy scribbling notes for later review.

“Where are we on the infrastructure bill?”

“Dead-on arrival," Daschle said. "Minority Whip McConnell cites the cost. He's proving to be a pain in the ass on this, Mr. President. They have given overtures that once the War in Afghanistan is wrapped up that they would potentially be open to it.”

“A second term issue then if the midterms don't go in our favor.”

“Most likely, yes.”

“Alright, ladies and gentlemen, I believe we are all in agreement about what needs to be done before the midterms. We have a lot of work to do. Thank you for stopping by.”

Gore prepared to rise up, nodding at Vice President Shaheen. They had a National Security briefing in ten minutes. Intelligence believed Osama bin Laden to be somewhere in or around Spīn Ghar, near the Khyber Pass.

“Mr. President?” came a voice down the table near Tom Daschle.

Gore looked up from his papers. Ted Kennedy was still sitting, but not in disrespect but rather what looked like hesitance. Tom Daschle reached out, shaking his head.

“Senator? Is there something you wish to say?” Gore asked, curiosity piqued.

“Sir, I think we need to have a go at healthcare reform."

Figures, Gore thought. The president looked at Kennedy, the so-called Lion of the Senate, and offered a small smile to hide his annoyance.

"Sorry, Senator, I know we had a lot of optimism for meaningful reform going into the election but we don't have the House. We don't have the votes. Besides we both know not everyone in our own party supports single-payer care. We need something more moderate that the party can stand behind in unity. Perhaps some variation of the healthcare proposals I ran on. After the midterms, if we retake the House, you and I will sit down and hash out an outline." Gore nodded and readied to rise again but stopped by Kennedy's Massachusetts accented voice.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I must insist." Kennedy's hand touched on a manila folder before him that the senator had thus far left unopened. “I have an outline here you would want to see.”

Gore's smile disappeared. It wasn’t the first time someone had directed the word at him while president, but it was the first to be done in such a public manner.

"Senator, I do not have the political leverage or the votes to push through a comprehensive healthcare package that half or more of the country will detest in principle. To bring it up six months before an election is political suicide. It’ll tank whatever chance we have in the midterms and the Republicans would eat us alive while we try.”

Ted Kennedy did not get angry or defensive, he merely nodded in agreement.

“You’re absolutely right, Mr. President. The healthcare reform I pushed so vehemently for under Presidents Carter and Clinton went nowhere, and we had Congressional majorities in both chambers then.”

Kennedy shrugged good-naturedly, flashing one of the famous grins his family was known for.

“No, what I propose today, sir,” Kennedy lifted the manila folder, “is much more limited in scope. I realize I may never see universal health coverage in my lifetime. I accept that, albeit reluctantly. But I believe we can help a lot of people in the meantime and this," Kennedy shook the raised folder a little, "is the best shot we might have for a while. And the beautiful thing is, Mr. President, it has a very good shot at bipartisan support. I’ve had several of my Republican colleagues in the Senate respond positively to my queried to them concerning health reform.”

Gore raised an eyebrow. “Who?”

"Senators Hatch, Stevens, and Warner. I’ve also received positive reciprocation from Bob Dole. He still has some influence amongst Congressional Republicans.”

“And they’ll support what you are proposing?”

“They are willing to cross the aisle to hash one out. I know there are parts of my proposal they will like and other parts they will detest. But it’s a start to work on.”

Gore frowned in thought.

“When are you wanting to release your plan to the media?”

“Within two weeks.”

“And the GOP Senators…”

“…will release theirs as a counter within a day or two following mine. From there we can craft a compromise bill. It won’t be perfect and will be a small step at best, but a small step is better than none at all.”

Gore nodded in agreement. He stood up then, everyone following suit. Looking at Kennedy he said, “I’d like to read over that outline,” he said pointing at the Manila folder, “but I want a finalized copy of your proposal sent to my office within a week.”

“Yes, Mr. President.” Kennedy slid the manila folder down to Charles Burson, Gore’s Chief of Staff.

Gore knew then that he had been mistaken. What Gore had initially mistook for hesitation from the New England Senator was instead a quiet but firm dedication to what he saw as his life’s purpose. The man was a political giant from a family of political giants.

“Good. Let’s get to work.”​
    ———​
    Democratic members of Congress have put forward several major pieces of legislation as summer approaches. With these bills, it’s clear to see what the Democrats are hoping to accomplish before the 2002 Midterms.
    -national park expansion
    -targeted infrastructure modernization
    -common sense gun reform

Most of these proposed bills have already received some support across the aisle. The surprise addition, however, was the health care proposal sponsored by Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA).

The bill, labeled the Medicaid/Medicare/CHIP Refinement, Improvement and Expansion (MMCRIE), has many facets to expand healthcare to millions of uninsured Americans. Far more moderate than Kennedy’s previous attempts at reform it advocates for much of President Gore’s initial healthcare platform he campaigned on during the 2000 presidential election.

The proposed bill’s flagship features are:
    -expand Medicaid coverage to those making up to 125% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL)
    -expand Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP) to 250%
    -create a Medicare ‘lockbox’
    -allow the option for people aged 55-65 to ‘buy-in’ to Medicare with a 25% tax credit to make more affordable
    -25% tax credit to small businesses to provide affordable health insurance to employees
    -employer mandate requiring companies with 250 or more employees to provide affordable health insurance with tax credits to offset startup enrollment costs
    -Patient’s Bill of Rights
    -allow Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices
    -fraud prevention measures
    -modernize medical record keeping
    -create federal and state health insurance exchanges to compare prices and allow people to pick and choose

Could this be the Democrats’ bold step towards mass public health reform? Or will it prove to another stumbling block in a long history of failed policy initiatives concerning healthcare?
    New York Times, May 2002

U.S. and Northern Alliance forces enter Kabul proper. The bulk of Taliban forces abandon the city, harassed by American air support. Is this the beginning of the end of Taliban resistance?
    Chicago Tribune, May 2002

Days after the reveal of the Democrats’ healthcare plan, Senate Republicans spearheaded by Orrin Hatch of Utah released their own bill, titled the Sensible Healthcare for Americans with Reasonable Edicts (SHARE).

Hatch criticized Senator Kennedy’s plan as ‘typical government handouts increasing entitlement programs,’ but did note there were positive aspects he and other Republicans would be willing to work with as part of a bipartisan bill.
    Washington Post, May 2002

The key aspects about Senator Hatch’s SHARE plan are as follows:
    -establishment of Health Savings Accounts
    -increase contribution limit and rollover amount for Flexible Savings Accounts
    -increase base cap for Health Reimbursement Accounts
    -remove barriers to allow health insurance plans to cross-state lines to compete and drive down prices
    -streamline medical administration to cut down on inefficiencies and waste
    ——employer mandate that businesses with 5,000 or more people must offer affordable health insurance

With the MMCRIE and SHARE available for public discourse, legislators on both sides agree to the need for a comprehensive bill built on compromise to help tackle rising healthcare costs in the United States.
    Roll Call, May 2002

After a week of combating rearguard Taliban forces in mop-up operations the coalition declares Kabul a secure city. Within hours Ahmed Shah Massoud enters Kabul in triumph and officially moves the Northern Alliance government to the national capital.
    MSNBC, May 2002

Jalalabad falls to coalition forces.
    Stars and Stripes, May 2002

President Al Gore signs the PATRIOT Act and the National Security Act into law. The two sweeping bills concern national security and counterterrorism efforts to better protect the American people and prevent another 3/13 attack from happening again. While the National Security Act and subsequent creation of the Department of Homeland Security were passed with little issue through Congress the same could not be said for the PATRIOT Act.

The PATRIOT Act drew intense criticism from the Gore Administration alongside many Democrat and Republican lawmakers for its initial provisions of domestic wiretapping, warrantless search and seizure, and indefinite imprisonment of immigrants with suspected ties to terrorism.

After weeks of negotiation the advocates of these provisions reluctantly agreed to roll them back so as to get the rest of the bill out of committee. Domestic wiretapping and search and seizure would require warrants with federal oversight to prevent illegal monitoring and other overreactive actions, while immigrants suspected of terrorism must face a federal trial within two years of arrest.

Wesley Clark, (U.S. Army, retired) would become the inaugural Secretary of Homeland Security, easily passing through the Senate confirmation with unanimous consent.
    Washington Times, June 2002

Recent Gallup polls has President Gore hovering at an 78% approval rating.
    Roll Call, June 2002

The Federal Land and Parks Preservation Act that passed Congress last week has been signed into law by President Gore. The bill sported strong support from both parties and will set aside 320,000,000 acres (500,000 square miles) of land for conservation in the form of three new national parks and two dozen national monuments.
    The Hill, June 2002

“Coalition forces have begun attacking terrorist leader Osama bin Laden’s suspected headquarters. Located deep in a cave complex in Tora Bora, the area has been subject to intense aerial bombardment for days as coalition ground forces, largely American and Northern Alliance, advance to secure their objectives.”
    —CNN, June 2002

Kalandar falls to US forces, Taliban leader Muhammad Omar was killed attempting to flee the city by an airstrike from a U.S. F-16. Several military experts believe the Taliban are on the verge of collapse, or at the very least on the verge of infighting.
    Los Angeles Times, June 2002

“After over two weeks of fighting, the Battle of Tora Bora is over. Osama bin Laden was not captured, having evaded coalition forces. It is believed though unconfirmed that he fled into Pakistan, but again this is pure conjecture. information ascertained from captured Al-Qaeda personnel has led American intelligence to believe bin Laden was gravely wounded in the attack but this is not confirmed as of yet.

Though the target of the attack, and the target for the wider war, had evaded capture, Al-Qaeda forces have been dealt a crippling blow. Over a thousand terrorist fighters had been killed or captured, with high-ranking Al-Qaeda leaders Abdul Latif Nasir and Sufi Muhammad were killed. Nasir was caught in a crossfire between Northern Alliance soldiers and Muhammad was ambushed by American special forces.”
    —NBC, July 2002

“The Gore-backed firearm bill, the Common Sense Gun Reform and Safer Communities for All Act has passed through Congress with less than a third of the Republican Party voting ‘Yay.’ Nearly all Congressional Democrats voted in support of the bill, though admittedly not all.

The bill’s key provisions, and there’s some good stuff in here I will admit, are:
    -closing the boyfriend/stalker loophole
    -establishing federal red flag laws, with funding to encourage and aid setting up similar laws in states willing to adopt similar measures
    -greater funding to communities-in-need to fund further after school and summer programs, life skill classes and voluntary community service initiatives
    -funding for undermanned and underfunded law enforcement offices/departments nationwide, particularly in rural communities. The funding will go towards purchasing new bulletproof vests, replace patrol vehicles experiencing heavy wear and tear, and de-escalation training.”
    Fox News, July 2002

After months of tense negotiations filled with back room meetings, public dialogues, town hall debates from its advocates and detractors across the country, over thirty Congressmen (made up of Democrats and Republicans) have released their bipartisan health bill to the floor.

Labeled the Healthcare Expansion and Access via Reform and Technology (HEART), its provisions are thus:
    -expand Medicaid eligibility to those making 110% of the Federal Poverty Line (FPL)
    ——FPL is $8,860, therefore 110% FPL is $9,746
    ——the 10% increase is to be paid for by the federal government for five years before shared cost between federal/state governments
    -expand eligibility for Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) to children in families making up to 175% of the FPL*
    ——FPL is $8,860, therefore 175% is $15,505
    ——the increase is to be paid for by the federal government for three years before transition to shared cost between federal/state governments
    -creation of a Medicare Part D to lower prescription drug costs for those on Medicare A, B, and C plans
    ——a Medicare D plan will pay 50% of prescription drugs until the $500 deductible is met then Part D will pay for 80% until the $1,500 out-of-pocket cap is met. After meeting out-of-pocket costs Part D enrollees will only have to pay no more than $7 for generic prescription drugs and no more than $20 for name brand.
    -create federal and state medical insurance exchanges for people to ‘shop and buy’ their preferred plan, can be found at the newly established Healthcare.gov and state equivalents**
    -to cut down on administrative cost and bureaucratic bloat in the private healthcare industry
    ——fraud prevention measures
    ——streamline medical record keeping, making it easier and simpler to access
    ——healthcare providers are required to list succinct and easy to understand summaries of their offered healthcare plans and what they cover/do not cover
    ——malpractice and antitrust reform​
    -prohibiting health insurers from charging different rates based on gender
    -repeal of insurance companies' exemption from antitrust laws
    -establishing minimum standards for qualified health benefit plans
    ——ensure health insurance plans pay a minimum of 50% of any medical bill
    -establish a maximum 5:1 premium rate for the elderly when compared to the baseline age of 21***
    -allow children the option to remain on their parents insurance up to 23 years of age
    -increased eligibility for medical tax deduction from 7.5% Adjusted Gross Income to 5% AGI, allowing more people to claim medical expenditures on their taxes
    -employer mandate that any business with 1,000 or more employees must provide affordable health insurance to its workers
    -establishment of Health Savings Account (HSA)
    ——$1,200 for Individual/$2,500 for a family, can rollover without penalty
    -increase Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA)
    ——Flexible Savings Account are increased to $1,300/$2,600 per year, rollover amount of $450/$900 up to a maximum cap of $2,250/$4,500
    -raises base Health Reimburse Arrangements
    ——HRA base increased to a $1,000, leftover funds at end-of-year must be rolled over into the next year up to at a maximum cap of $3,000
    The Hill, August 2002

President Gore signs the HEART Act into law with much aplomb. The first person to receive a pen used in the signing was Senator Ted Kennedy.

The Senator said in the press conference following the bill signing that, ‘Though the HEART Act is far from perfect, it will provide quality healthcare to millions. I have great confidence we can build upon this landmark legislation in the years to come.”
    Washington Post, August 2002
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTES:
    *Five States in 2002 had CHIP coverage below 175%: Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, and Wyoming. The HEART Act's CHIP expansion only benefits these States, but more children covered by health insurance is always a good thing, even if its only a few ten thousand.

**The HEART Act does not contain federal subsidies. Healthcare.gov merely catalogues options with links to health provider websites and simplified summaries of healthcare plans, as well as the ability to check Medicaid/Medicare/CHIP eligibility and signup to those programs.

***Prior to the HEART Act private health insurance companies could charge premiums many times greater than the baseline (21 years old), sometimes 6x and 7x and more. Here it is limited to a maximum 5x. For example if a 21 year old has private health insurance through BlueCrossBlueShield and pays $100 a month for his plan then an older person with health issues can be charged no more than $500 per month. It isn't perfect but helps save some people spending seven or eight times more.

Last edited: