A New Beginning - Our 1992 Russian Federation

This were truly interesting times. Im quite sure that to outside eye Luka seemed like authorian set to stay in power, only for him to lose it.

Generally this will have positive effect on how politics are done in Russia internally because while Luka did show a strong front abroad internal missmanagement costed him his presidency. He basically removed a popular Primeminister from power due to fear of her gaining to much power within ULP, but that basically caused split within the party with more reformed minded members deciding to follow Nabiullina to form New People party taking significant chunk of voter base, on top of his actions causing the break in coalition with Yabloko who were more closer to reformers ideologically. Then he appointed Medvedev as a Primeminister so he can have a weak politician who will not contend against him in ULP/Agrarian coalition.

But Luka basically overrestimated his popularity, strong front on international stage doesn't necessary brings political points (in my case i preferred crisis im Syria and Baltics to be handled more quietly) and in case of both crisis's it's Nabiullina's intervention that resolved them by calling for calm. Then his authorian behavior and political corruption probably alienated voter base further, on top of trying to call snap elections while not controlling the Media to control the narrative (im sure News agencies generally said that this was just an attempt at power grab before opposition gains legitimacy).

Also most of his internal policies were basically continuation of Nabiullina's policies. In the end after his loss at the elections the fact that Nabiullina was former member of ULP backfired immediately because she and her associates had contacts there, also Medvedev probably used the chance to eliminate party leadership of ULP and Agrarians and to consolidate himself as a leader of the party and Right cause probably didn't have love for Luka because he was trying to steal their electorate with his populist rethoric. Basically every major party wanted him out.

The best party here tough is that in political climate we created there's a place for compromises and there's no eternal anonimty within the politics, if parties have compatible political agendas they are able to set their differences aside and work together.

Also i believe this will be quite a shock for global stage, but also a confirmation that democracy works in Russia/Union State. So we could say that Obama can say that he made a right call when mending fences as he is working with a democratic country.

For the Arab Spring i will go with Gaddafi quickly quashing unrest and Muslim Brotherhood consolidation in Egypt.

That seems fine. What about Syria tough? I believe they should be capable to crush their unrest quite quickly as well. Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt taking power on other hand will be quite interesting to see. Lots of fun times for middle east.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s possible to get Tunisia on side? As one of, if not the only, successful transitions to democracy from the Arab Spring, if we draw them into our orbit they could be used to show our commitment to democracy. Plus, in the aftermath of the Arab Spring, Tunisia grew closer to the West and if we can take even one piece of their board that is a win.

That seems fine. What about Syria tough? I believe they should be capable to crush their unrest quite quickly as well. Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt taking power on other hand will be quite interesting to see. Lots of fun times for middle east.
Isn’t Syria more powerful in this world, so it isn’t out of the norm that they would be able to crush the unrest also isn’t quasi Wagner already existed in this world, so they probably going to be use

For the Arab Spring i will go with Gaddafi quickly quashing unrest and Muslim Brotherhood consolidation in Egypt.
Well Egypt in many regards is worse due to its vastly larger population when compared to Libya and Syria. I guess we can expect an even worse refugee crisis in Europe than? Maybe even a future Israeli-Egyptian war?

I would dispute this... But you know what i kinda want to see us handling Syrian crisis, on top of Iraq imploding similar to otl.
Isn’t Syria more powerful in this world, so it isn’t out of the norm that they would be able to crush the unrest also isn’t quasi Wagner already existed in this world, so they probably going to be use
I want to explore this TTL's version of Syrian civil war.

Maybe it’s possible to get Tunisia on side? As one of, if not the only, successful transitions to democracy from the Arab Spring, if we draw them into our orbit they could be used to show our commitment to democracy. Plus, in the aftermath of the Arab Spring, Tunisia grew closer to the West and if we can take even one piece of their board that is a win.
We will see

We will see
Do keep in mind we sold most of the 2,600 T-62's to Syria (a tank > no tank until the drone era). We also sold them 200 BTR-70's. They might also bought some of the other equipment we sold of like about 2,000 BTR-60's, they might also turned their T-55's into BR-T55's like we did. Especially since they have no use for them due to them getting the previously mentioned T-62's. They might have also asked for some of the upgraded T-72S's, but those wouldn't be there soon since Gaddafi is the better customer. The same as for the T-72's probably goes for the MiG-29's we are replacing by MiG-35's.

Last edited: