A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
Keenir said:
In this, the Greeks quash their more rebellious elements in the early 1800s, preventing any backlash at Greek society...though it also means an end to independence claims.

The green is a Czech state, while yellow is a Serbian state.

and I admit that I was weak: I gave land to the Russians.
Don't you mean Croat rather than Czech?

Nice map, btw.

Raymann

Banned
Just something a little more stylized :)

BTW: I think AH maps are evolving a little, more are becoming (dare I say!) art? This map is just a concept for me, something to leap off of to bigger a better things. Also if anyone knows how to shrink an image while minimizing distorsion, please fill me in, Fox is looking a bit too pixelated.

North America Today small.jpg

Thande

Donor
Nice map, Raymann. I like the portraits as well as the flags.

Minor nitpick - your Canadian PM has the OTL Quebecois flag behind him, which is different to your Canada's flag. :p

How do you do that?
I could see how you could draw flags onto a map quite easily but you don't seem to have done that- the match is too perfect in the north.

Diamond said:
I'm always a bit irked when people say a TL doesn't have any validity because it's constructed to arrive at a specific result. As long as the TL is well-constructed and logical, what does it matter? When I start one, I almost always have some idea of where I want to end up; I usually never just start with a POD and let the chips fall where they may.

So yeah, I say do a TL for 'em, Thande.
I don't think anyone actually says that.
Thats a mis-interpretation of what people say against that 'my first ah...' crap we see where say the CSA is indepenant but the world wars and the cold war and everything come along entirely as normal

Thande

Donor
Leej said:
How do you do that?
I could see how you could draw flags onto a map quite easily but you don't seem to have done that- the match is too perfect in the north.
I don't know for sure how Raymann did it, but I've done maps like this before, and this is how I did it:

(Using MSPaint)

Get the flag you want and make it big enough so that it's as big as the country you intend to fill it with.

Colour in your country a certain colour and make sure all the other countries and the sea etc. are different colours to this one.

Right-click on the first colour mentioned. Choose the 'select box' tool (top left hand corner of the toolbox). Note that two icons appear below on the left. The first shows three 3D shapes on a white box (the default), the second three 3D shapes on a transparent box. Click this instead.

Now draw a box that encompasses your country in question, copy and paste it, and drag the copy so it's over the flag. The country will be 'transparent', because Paint is treating the colour you right-clicked on as the background colour. And the flag will now only show through that country, and nowhere else. Done.

It sounds more complicated than it is.

Raymann

Banned
Thande - Canada is more unified if only because Quebec is a larger portion of the population, over 50% now. He has the Quebec flag in the background for the same reason Bush wears cowboy boots, because he can and its not a huge divisive issue.

And Leej, I just used my primative photoshoping skillz :) I just used the magic wand thingamajig and select a country then I copied it to a new layer over a large (or small) enough existing flag. I then colored the country a primary color and made it transparent over the flag. I combined the image and used the wand again to select the colored country (has to be almost opaque or the wand will grap details outside of the colored area. I pasted the country in a new file and used color correction to get rid of the primary color I used. I used the wand one last time to grab everything and pasted it back in the main picture.

I sure that sounds hard but it took under a minute, its just finding the correct photo sized and nickpicking on the islands that took a while.

Raymann said:

BTW: I think AH maps are evolving a little, more are becoming (dare I say!) art? This map is just a concept for me, something to leap off of to bigger a better things. Also if anyone knows how to shrink an image while minimizing distorsion, please fill me in, Fox is looking a bit too pixelated.

Umm... Condi Rice is the President of the Confederate States of America..?

Let me put it this way: A BLACK WOMAN is President of the Confederate States of America?

Now THAT'S a PoD! :eek:

Thande

Donor
Thermopylae said:
Umm... Condi Rice is the President of the Confederate States of America..?

Let me put it this way: A BLACK WOMAN is President of the Confederate States of America?

Now THAT'S a PoD! :eek:
It may seem counterintuitive but it's not completely ASB. RobertP6165's timeline "The Black and the Gray" is an interesting insight into an alternative view of Confederate attitudes to these things.

Raymann

Banned
I didn't come up with a specific TL for this but I had a few ideas: basically slavery ends less then a decade after the Confederate war of independence and in their subsquent conquest in Mexico, Cuba, the Carribean, Africa, and the Pacific, they needed significant black support and had to give in with regards to equality. The US stayed racist for a long time so the CS was also eager to gain the moral high ground.

There was no black migration is the CS today is about 40% black, 50% white, with the rest hispanic (very hard occuparions)

Keenir

Banned
Zarth said:
something i did when i was bored

nice map.

one question -- they took the Yucatan, but they didn't seize part of Cuba as a nice stepping-stone en route?
(or did they take it, then lose it?)

either way, nice work.

Keenir said:
nice map.

one question -- they took the Yucatan, but they didn't seize part of Cuba as a nice stepping-stone en route?
(or did they take it, then lose it?)

either way, nice work.

i really have no clue how any of this worked out, i just like the way it was all set up

Raymann said:

wow...Gordo's the American President? I don't know if I should be happy or scared....

Status
Not open for further replies.