A Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thande said:
Mexico is an Aztec name*, albeit the way it's spelled and pronounced in OTL is influenced by Spanish.

So in TTL the name might well still be Mexico, but Diamond might have transliterated it differently to emphasise the difference - what would that look like in Arabic transliterated to our alphabet? Mikhikou, perhaps?

*I think it refers to 'Mexicoatl', the Aztec god of death, or something? :confused:

Mikhikou sounds good

Thande

Donor
Diamond said:
What do you think of that alternative spelling I suggested - obviously just an artificial thing for the readers of your map which has to be written in Latin characters, but just to underline the fact that it's the Saracen language rather than Spanish that has interpreted the Mexica name to the world?

Diamond

Banned
Thande said:
What do you think of that alternative spelling I suggested - obviously just an artificial thing for the readers of your map which has to be written in Latin characters, but just to underline the fact that it's the Saracen language rather than Spanish that has interpreted the Mexica name to the world?
I'm staying with 'Mexica' simply because it's easier to pronounce, and is more familiar to people. I try not to needlessly complicate things, even though your interpretation is probably more accurate.

Thande

Donor
Here's my latest effort, and I'm pretty pleased with it, even though I know Diamond will post a much better one five minutes after I post it. :rolleyes: POD is that the Thirteen Colonies reach an accomodation with HMG and some restrictions are relaxed, e.g. those on settlement of the West and Quebec. Add in a shorter and less bloody "Napoleonic" wars with a lasting Bourbon restoration, an occidentophile Tsar, and an earlier discovery of gold in California & Alaska...

Look to the West full.JPG

Thande

Donor
Diamond said:
Is that a Dutch... Norway & Denmark, that I see? :eek:
Heh heh, I thought that might throw a few people. In fact it represents a different "German" unification centred around the Netherlands, Denmark and Saxony. The resulting state has an inordinately complex name but is often commonly referred to simply as Deutschland by its own citizens - which the English-speaking world has naturally confused with Dutch as in the Netherlands, to produce 'Dutchland'.

(Bear in mind that until relatively recently in OTL, all Germans were often referred to as Dutchmen by the English-speaking world).

Thande

Donor
Anyone think it's worth doing follow-up maps for that one? I have some ideas for what might happen in the future (involving bloody great wars and revolutions obviously... ;) )

I might not use a pictorial background so the changes are more obvious.

No one would notice if you misnamed them anyway... Once in an ME I suggested to Aussey that his nation (a large expansionist Persia) seize Tajikistan... the reply was "There's such a place as Tajikistan?" :D

Thande

Donor
Imajin said:
No one would notice if you misnamed them anyway... Once in an ME I suggested to Aussey that his nation (a large expansionist Persia) seize Tajikistan... the reply was "There's such a place as Tajikistan?" :D
'they do not deserve the protection of our holy Monarch, defender of [insert obscure religion here]!' ;) :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.