A Dutch Mexico!

Instead of the Spaniards colonizing what is now Mexico the Dutch colonize it.I was exploring the threads yesterday I came upon one caled "A Decent Mexico" or something like that and one of the posters stated that not being colonized by Spain would be a start-which I totally agree with.I think the more liberal -minded Dutch would be a better suit for the Aztec native.In time Dutch culture would bring about a "First-World" Mexico.It seems that whatever the Spaniards colonized became third-world republics.It wouldnt be called Mexico but maybe a Aztec-Dutch hybrid name.What would our US international borders look like with a Dutch Mexico?Would they be any different that what the borders look like today?

Instead of the Spaniards colonizing what is now Mexico the Dutch colonize it.I was exploring the threads yesterday I came upon one caled "A Decent Mexico" or something like that and one of the posters stated that not being colonized by Spain would be a start-which I totally agree with.I think the more liberal -minded Dutch would be a better suit for the Aztec native.In time Dutch culture would bring about a "First-World" Mexico.It seems that whatever the Spaniards colonized became third-world republics.It wouldnt be called Mexico but maybe a Aztec-Dutch hybrid name.What would our US international borders look like with a Dutch Mexico?Would they be any different that what the borders look like today?
How would the Dutch colonize it? Start there before going so far. And why would it not be called Mexico? That name is after all derived from what the "Aztecs" called themselves. And just because the Dutch are liberal nowadays does not mean they were back then, they were big in the slave trade and their colonies weren't exactly happy places. And then there's the fact that they weren't independent by the time the Spanish came...

Mexico is Euro-Latinization of Mehika(or a variation thereof depending on who you ask).But what I had in mind was something of a Dutch-tinged pronunciation and spelling of Mehika.

How would the Dutch colonize it? Start there before going so far. And why would it not be called Mexico? That name is after all derived from what the "Aztecs" called themselves. And just because the Dutch are liberal nowadays does not mean they were back then, they were big in the slave trade and their colonies weren't exactly happy places. And then there's the fact that they weren't independent by the time the Spanish came...

A name proposed OTL was Anahuac when the Mexicans were trying to get their independence. This is extremely ASB considering that the Dutch were by no means independent and Spain already got a head start.

Im sorry for ignorance but what do OTL and those other abreviations mean?

OTL- Original Timeline. Our own history.

ASB- Alien Space Bats. The phrase ASB refers to a scenario which is so implausible that it would require supernatural intervention to occur. The phrase was coined by Alison Brooks as a sarcastic comment toward timelines that seem to have no realistic chance of happening.

EDIT: Blast. Beaten again.

OTL- Original Timeline. Our own history.

ASB- Alien Space Bats. The phrase ASB refers to a scenario which is so implausible that it would require supernatural intervention to occur. The phrase was coined by Alison Brooks as a sarcastic comment toward timelines that seem to have no realistic chance of happening.

EDIT: Blast. Beaten again.

If it helps I don't know where the dictionary of such terms is; I saw it once but forgot to bookmark it.

Im sorry for ignorance but what do OTL and those other abreviations mean?

It's quite alright, you're new to the boards so it's understandable.

OTL: Original Time Line; basically real history, what has happened in real life.
ATL: Alternate Time Line; self explanatory I surmise. ;)
ASB: Alien Space Bats; used to describe something that's not plausible or things related to fantasy universes, etc.
ISOT: In the Sea of Time; used to describe when transferring one person/place/thing to another time and place. Closely tied to ASB's.

That's all that comes to mind, if any of the other members feel the need to correct me pleas do so. :)

EDIT: I was beat to the punch! :p

OTL: Original Time Line; basically real history, what has happened in real life.
ASB: Alien Space Bats; used to describe something that's not plausible or things related to fantasy universes, etc.
ISOT: In the Sea of Time; used to describe when transferring one person/place/thing to another time and place. Closely tied to ASB's.

That's all that comes to mind, if any of the other members feel the need to correct me pleas do so. :)

Thanks guys-I have a lot to learn.

Oly one that is missing is ITTL (In This Time Line) basically same as ATL, but refaring specifically to the TL on the threat.

ITTL the Dutch colonized Mexico with the help of ASBs that ISTOed modren technology to the 1500s, contrarily to other ATL or OTL where it was done by another power.

Also, Indonesia and Suriname called, they'd like to dispute your assessment that all Dutch colonies ended up as First World States.

Although I agree that those nations arent then next Scandinavia you cant call them NARCO-STATES either.

I don't know if I would quite call Mexico a "Narco-state". The current large-scale violence dates back to about 2003 (I think), and before then Mexico was, by Third World standards, a reasonably stable place. Also, the current government doesn't support drug trafficking covertly, which to me is one of the key aspects of a "narco-state".

Sandmannius

Banned
And just because the Dutch are liberal nowadays does not mean they were back then, they were big in the slave trade and their colonies weren't exactly happy places. And then there's the fact that they weren't independent by the time the Spanish came...

The Dutch Republic was actually known for it's tolerance and religious freedom back in the 17th century. And, no European colonies were happy places, which is not what TMA was trying to imply.

Anyways, FH is right, the Dutch Republic came around in the late 1500s, almost a hundred years after Spain started colonizing what is now the modern day nation of Mexico. I'd be possible that in the later stages of the 80 Years War with the Iberian Union the Dutch invade Mexico, but by that time there wouldn't be much natives around nor do I think the Dutch would have a larger impact on the Spanish settler culture. The cost of this invasion would be extremely expensive nor am I sure that the Netherlands would have or could spare a large enough army to conquer a territory as large as Mexico, especially with Spain doing everything in its power to fight them off.

Although in the very golden years of the Dutch Republic in the mid 17th century it's power eclipsed Spain and would be in a better situation, but still, the invasion would be ASB.

One possibility could be a united Holy Roman Empire colonizing the Americas, and obviously using the Netherlands as it's naval base of operations. This would still maintain the thriving merchant culture and could easily lead to the Netherlands being the richest part of the HRE and becoming it's dominant region, and therefore having it's unique culture more reflected on Mexico then any other state. Something similar to this could be done with a Spanish Low Countries maybe, with some of the settlers being Dutch or many sailors from the Netherlands going to Mexico, leading to a small influence of Dutch culture in Mexico.

The natives were still around and probably composed the vast majority of colonial Mexico. I don't know how many Spaniards settled in Mexico though 200,000 did settle in Latin America overall.

Defeat the Aztecs with tulips... :D Now a Dutch Mexico runs the risk of being overran by the English during one of the Anglo-Dutch wars. Afterwards, it might no longer be Dutch. I'm not sure how much use they would have for the land after they've looted it of its gold. Maybe for cocoa production.

Although I agree that those nations arent then next Scandinavia you cant call them NARCO-STATES either.

Suriname most definitely is a NARCO state, the President is a proven murderer and head of one of the largest criminal (drug) networks in South America/Caribbean.

That place went down the gutter real fast.

Defeat the Aztecs with tulips... :D Now a Dutch Mexico runs the risk of being overran by the English during one of the Anglo-Dutch wars. Afterwards, it might no longer be Dutch. I'm not sure how much use they would have for the land after they've looted it of its gold. Maybe for cocoa production.

Well. The Aztecs did refer to wars against neighbours with the purposes of collecting sacrifices as 'Flower Wars'