A Catholic Sweden

How can we have Sweden remain a Catholic nation, at least officially? One idea is that in 1523, the Archbishop of Sweden, Gustav Trolle, catches a disease/is mauled by wolves/trampled by horses or is otherwise removed from the picture. With the post of Archbishop of Sweden vacant, King Gustav would have an easier time having his nominee, Johannes Magnus, approved, and would thus have less political reason to break from the Church. Could this lead to Sweden remaining Catholic? If not, what could? And what would the implications of a Catholic Sweden be?

Philip

Donor
Didn't Gustav Vasa seize much of the Church's tithes to pay off his debts?

If Sweden does remain Catholic, a personal union with Poland becomes more viable.

How can we have Sweden remain a Catholic nation, at least officially? One idea is that in 1523, the Archbishop of Sweden, Gustav Trolle, catches a disease/is mauled by wolves/trampled by horses or is otherwise removed from the picture. With the post of Archbishop of Sweden vacant, King Gustav would have an easier time having his nominee, Johannes Magnus, approved, and would thus have less political reason to break from the Church. Could this lead to Sweden remaining Catholic? If not, what could? And what would the implications of a Catholic Sweden be?
For one thing, no Weberian thesis on the merits of Protestantism. After all, in this TL, Sweden would still have an advanced capitalist society, but certainly wouldn't be Protestant. Maybe an influx of Jesuits may make Sweden the Spain of the North, placing limits on the spread of Protestantism.

If Sweden does remain Catholic, a personal union with Poland becomes more viable.

Agree. Without the Catholic issue, Sigismund Vasa would have had a much better chance at maintaining his power on the Swedish Throne. Without Poland in its way, Sweden could become a Baltic superpower. Though one subject to more bitter intra-Scandinavian conflicts, since this would only deepen the animosity between Denmark/Norway and Sweden.

Of potentially greater importance, a Catholic Sweden would mean no Swedish Period of the Thirty Years' War. Best case for the Protestants: Gustavus Adolphus satisfies himself with invading Denmark. Worst case: he intervenes on the side of the Empire.

Philip

Donor
Agree wrt 30 Years' War. In either case, things look good for the Habsburgs. I think I would expect Catholic Sweden to intervene in order to grab more of the Baltic coast. Maybe we get a direct Sweden-Denmark conflict. Perhaps France intervenes earlier and more forcefully.

In answer to the original question, yes, I do think that eliminating Trolle could reduce the chances of Sweden breaking with Rome, at least during the reign of Gustav Vasa. He could also be killed in battle, didn't Norse clergy fight in battle carrying war-hammers?

But I am not sure what else may have motivated the Swedish King to break from Rome. In the case of England the King was motivated in part by the money to be gained by dissolving monasteries, and abolishing tithes. I don't know about the state of monasteries in Sweden, but I imagine that there was money to be found in them. This would continue to make Protestantism financially alluring to the Kings of Sweden.

Also, unless the King burns the Petri brothers at an early date, he is still going to have to deal with a Protestant minority in his kingdom, whatever he decides. Protestant minorities tended to be quite vocal, so religious conflict in Sweden might result regardless of the King's decision.

Rubicon

Banned
Agree. Without the Catholic issue, Sigismund Vasa would have had a much better chance at maintaining his power on the Swedish Throne.
No. Duke Charles, Sigismunds uncle, used Sigismunds Catholism as an excuse to seize the throne in an uprising. Duke Charles (later Charles IX) had his eyes on the throne from the start and would most likely find another excuse for his uprising.
The real reason was that Sigismund ruled Sweden from Poland, which was a direct break from his vows to spend half his time ruling from Sweden and half his time ruling from Poland..