A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

The Case For A Union Between An Anglican and a Catholic.

VVD0D95

Banned
The Case For A Union Between An Anglican And A Catholic

Dear Mr Editor,

In your last issue, one Mr T.Swift wrote about the rumours he had heard that a member of the aristocracy was to wed a Catholic, and how he felt that violated everything that was good and true about the Kingdom we all live in. I am writing this letter today to seek to reassure Mr Swift that he is wrong.

Marrying a Catholic is not a sin against the King or God, if the persons marrying are not heirs to their family property. I am sure there are those who are reading this and are wondering what I possibly could mean. Let me elaborate.

Whilst none would deny that a marriage between an Anglican heir and a Catholic lady could potentially lead to the subversion of the Anglican order through the wiles of Eve, it should be noted that marriage between an Anglican second son and a Catholic lady can have benefits, especially if the Catholic lady comes with a large dowry.

Firstly, the second son would have the chance to secure a future generation for the true Church and away from the hostile power of Rome, and as such should be praised for doing so. Secondly, if there are no children-for it has been noted that Catholics are increasingly struggling to have children in this Kingdom- then the chance of a Catholic family continuing is greatly reduced.

Finally, the marriage between an Anglican second son and a Catholic lady with a large dowry would enable the second son to set up his own business or estate and thus become less dependent on his father and later brother for resources. It would also enable him to turn the ill begotten money of a Catholic into honest Anglican work.

I hope that the reasons I have highlighted here are enough to soothe the concerns of Mr Swift. If not I am happy to add another letter for the reasoning I present here.

Yours Sincerely

Mr C.Jorvik.

“I don’t understand what my husband sees in him.” Philippine said, marvelling at how clear their conversations were. They’d both learned English as children she and Anne, but the Princess of Wales more often spoke German with their mother in law, and sometimes it felt alien to her.
A fun factoid - given that Philippine was a favorite granndaughter of her German grandmother and was initially intended to marry a German Catholic ruler, her education would likely include learning German.

VVD0D95

Banned
A fun factoid - given that Philippine was a favorite granndaughter of her German grandmother and was initially intended to marry a German Catholic ruler, her education would likely include learning German.
Ooh interesting will
Keep that in mind

Credit goes to Liselotte memoirs which were my only read on the 3-hour flight from Moscow to Antalya for vacation (said vacation being the reason for my inactivity the last week).

Chapter 251: A Catholic Marriage

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 251: A Catholic Marriage

March, 1737

Charles of York, newly created Earl of Kendal and Ross, Baron Pontefract and Lord Ardmannoch smiled at the woman sat next to him. That woman was Marie Victoire, the most beautiful woman in the world, in his view, and his wife. They had been married earlier that morning in a ceremony attended by the great and good of the Kingdom, in the chapel of Windsor Castle. There had been an Anglican ceremony and then a Catholic ceremony. Charles felt his heart quicken when Marie smiled back at him.

“What are you thinking about?” Marie asked him, his bride had learned English during the course of their correspondence, and she spoke it better than half the people at their wedding.

“You, us, what we’re going to do later.” Charles replied raising an eyebrow suggestively.

Marie blushed a delightful shade of pink. “You have no shame, Charles.” She replied teasingly.

“When it comes to you, my love, I definitely do not.” Charles said, and when his wife’s smile widened he felt as though his heart might fall out of his chest. How he had longed to see that smile again. He had first met Marie whilst out on campaign with his father and brother. She had been helping with some letter or the other, and they’d started talking. He had been in love with her from that moment on.

There had been some complications, mainly the fact that he was an Anglican and she a Catholic, but he had pointed out that the Duke of Cambridge had married a French Princess, and the French had until recently been their enemies, whilst Marie came from a family who had long been their allies. And the Archduke of Flanders had spoken very favourably of her. Eventually father had relented and they had gone to the King who had agreed at once.

Marie placed her hand on his arm then and asked. “After this meal, what is to happen?”

Charles thought on what his wife-he would never stop feeling excited by that word- meant. “Well obviously there’s the dancing and other festivities, the King wants that to happen for a while. And then there’s the bedding,” he grinned at her then. “and from there, well we can do what we want.”

“And what do you want to do?” Marie asked.

Charles felt his grin grow. “You, of course.”

Marie gasped and hit him on the arm. “Charles, please!” But she was laughing as well. “Apart from the obvious.” She added.

“Well, I need to show you the beautiful Lochs in Scotland, and of course we need to visit York.” Charles said. His father would be returning to Edinburgh soon enough, whilst James was heading off to Ireland to serve as Deputy Lieutenant for the Duke of Ormonde. The King and Charles’ father still hadn’t made up for whatever falling out they’d had and their conversation was oddly stilted. It was sad, but Charles decided to push that thought down and focus on the joyous moment before him. “And of course I need to show you Urquhart Castle and Eilean Donan Castle, both of which are going to be our homes.” As a wedding gift the King had bought both castles from their respective owners and gifted them to Charles and Marie, something that Charles was grateful for.

“I’ve heard that York is supposed to be very beautiful at this time of year?” Marie asked.

Charles nodded, he assumed his wife had heard of that from his cousin who was the Archduke of Flanders’ heir’s wife. “Yes, it’s very beautiful and the people are exceedingly kind.”

Marie smiled. “And you did always say how the Highlands was your favourite place.”

Charles smiled. “It is.” He had loved the Highlands from the moment he was old enough to understand what they were. They were filled with life, but also peaceful and there was a way of life there that most others did not appreciate. At least not here in Windsor or in London.

“Then I look forward to seeing what it is about them that has you so enchanted, my love.” Marie replied smiling.

Charles grinned. “I look forward to showing you.” He wanted to kiss her, but he was aware that there would be quite a scandal if he did so just now. Even if they were married, there were still protocols that needed to be followed.

Marie laced their fingers together then and whispered. “You know we could always sneak away. Nobody would notice.” She nodded to where the King was talking animatedly with the Queen and Robert Walpole, whilst his own father was talking with the Duke of Norfolk about something or the other. Throughout the hall people were talking and nobody was really looking at them.

Charles looked at his wife and asked. “You’re sure?”

Marie nodded. “Yes, I’d rather we did things our way.”

Charles grinned, then looked around, catching his brother’s eye he nodded, and his brother nodded back. Charles turned back to his wife and said. “Come on let’s go.” With that he stood up, pushed his chair back, helped Marie out of her chair and walked away, at the exact moment he heard James shout something which caused everyone to laugh. They slipped away just as people were returning to normal.

Chapter 252: Cumberland

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 252: Cumberland

September, 1737

Charles took the container and held it up for his mother to see. “So, you take this container with the gas substance, and you carefully pour the water into it.” He placed the container on the table, and took the water container, undid the lid and then poured a small amount into the gas container. “Now we wait for a few moments.” He stood back and waited, in the gas container the container began to shake and before it could burst, he quickly emptied out the water. Once the water was gone he looked up. “You see?”

“What exactly am I looking for, Charles?” Mother asked. She wore an expression on her face that Charles recognised from when he was a child. She’d always wear it when she wanted to show she was interested but really she wasn’t.

He bit down the sigh of frustration, why did only Kendal get the importance of this? “So, by mixing the water in with the gas, we get an unstable solution. That instability is something that needs to be addressed. It is my theory that the fire that took place in the Duke of Somerset’s residence was due to this.”

“You think there was some sort of gas that mixed with the water in his house and caused the fire?” Mother asked sounding sceptical.

Charles wanted to hit his forehead, his mother was being slow, deliberately slow he imagined. “Yes. Because the man doesn’t know when to stop pumping his house filled with those poisonous substances.” He held a hand up to stop his mother from protesting. “Yes, I know we also use those substances, but because of George’s reactions to their open presence they are closed. That is actually better than just keeping them out there. Somerset should have known not to keep them open. Containing them within containers and then releasing them outside would have been better.”

“So, if that is so, why have you asked me here, and not your father?” Mother asked.

“Because Father won’t listen to me.” Charles said. “He doesn’t take anything I do seriously.”

“You know that’s not true.” Mother replied.

Charles gave his mother a look. They both knew that father only accepted his views because otherwise mother would give him trouble. Most of the time Charles was convinced his father only tolerated him. The son who was neither a military nor political genius, unlike his older brothers. He who had found a passion for science, but had no other use. He hated that. Hated that his interest was in another matter that he could not share with his family. Not truly. Not like they could share in their interests in politics or the army. He bit back a sigh and continued. “Regardless, now that I’ve shown you this, you have to convince the King to pass a law making it so that everyone adopts this practice.”

Mother immediately raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

“Mother, come now. You’ve had all of us inoculated against smallpox, and you believed the word of a Lady who has far less sense than you do. Is it really so hard to believe that your own son might be right about something?”

Mother held her hands up in a soothing gesture. “I did not mean to suggest you were wrong or to express doubt, Charles. I merely voiced a question. I will do as you ask.”

“Thank you.” Charles replied smiling. He might not be able to protect the family or the Kingdom through war or politics but he would ensure that nobody died from an easily avoidable gas leak.

“Now, there was something I wanted to speak to you about.” Mother said.

“What about?” Charles asked.

“Your father and I have been talking and we agreed that the time is right for you to begin looking for a bride.” Mother said.

“But I’m only seventeen, I’m not even a man grown yet!” Charles protested. He’d never even kissed a girl, something he knew that both George and James had done before they’d turned seventeen.

“I know, Charles, but the time is right. Your father and I both agree that the time is right for you to settle down and establish a household. You would not need to rely on your father or I for money then.” Mother said.

Charles raised an eyebrow. “Really?” Right now his allowance was set by how generous his mother was feeling, and as such varied considerably. Having a more stable income would help.

“Yes, really.” Mother replied.

“Who is she? This girl you want to subject me to?” Charles asked.

“Charlotte Louise of Courland.” Mother said.

Charles thought on that, he knew nothing of the Courland girl, nothing at all, he supposed that would help. “Okay.” Charles replied.

Mother smiled. “You will of course be allowed to meet her first, before you marry. She will be heading to Berlin in a few months’ time. You will go there as well.”

“Okay.” Charles replied, simply because he knew he had no other choice than to agree.

so since voltaire is a friend and mentor of George, will george be his patron ?(it also helps that george grew in an enviroment where philosophical thinking is encouraged)
though if that happens what will become of :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émilie_du_Châtelet ?
furthermore he will probably play a big part in the passing of the toleration act(catholics) ,the emancipation of slaves and the treatment of native americans

VVD0D95

Banned
so since voltaire is a friend and mentor of George, will george be his patron ?(it also helps that george grew in an enviroment where philosophical thinking is encouraged)
though if that happens what will become of :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émilie_du_Châtelet ?
furthermore he will probably play a big part in the passing of the toleration act(catholics) ,the emancipation of slaves and the traeatment of native americans

George is indeed Voltaire's patron, and a great many things are that about to happen in George's reign will be through VOltaire's influence.

George is indeed Voltaire's patron, and a great many things are that about to happen in George's reign will be through VOltaire's influence.

This is going to be interesting. Just might butterfly the American Revolution. And maybe even the French revolution too...

VVD0D95

Banned
This is going to be interesting. Just might butterfly the American Revolution. And maybe even the French revolution too...

American Revolution is perhaps a certainty, due to there being no plans as of yet for a Seven Years War Analogue which was the main contribution to the AR otl, from my understanding ;)

American Revolution is perhaps a certainty, due to there being no plans as of yet for a Seven Years War Analogue which was the main contribution to the AR otl, from my understanding ;)
bloody americans didnt want to pay their taxes(i mean i am glad they did it inspired ours,but still that is some bs)

about the reformation of the anglican church(there will be a reformation rigth?i remember seeing something about it and if it happens) wouldnt they(at least in this time period)look towards eastern orthodoxy if they wanted wanted separation of church and state(autocephaly),the tradition of orthodox christianity hasnt changed much from the original creed that christianity had so perhaps it could give them some ideas for reforms