A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Aye, of course leopold could send some troops to Spain, but I don’t think it’d be enough to take away from dealing with what’s about to hit him

Yeah but still with less troop in Hungary and Leopold raising taxes, i think that he could still increase his influence in Hungary, build relationships, ...

i don't see him play a role in this war but he could use this one in his advantage.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yeah but still with less troop in Hungary and Leopold raising taxes, i think that he could still increase his influence in Hungary, build relationships, ...

i don't see him play a role in this war but he could use this one in his advantage.
Agreed

Chapter 81: Leopold, Decide.

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 81: Leopold, Decide

The new year, and the new century had been welcomed in with news of more war and death. Seventeen Hundred years since Christ, and Leopold knew that things were getting worse for his family over in Spain, and he wanted to help, yet knew that they did not have the scope for a full fledged aid mission. Not with the Turks breathing down his neck, and demanding something that he was not willing to wanting to give. Leopold took a breath, looked at his advisors and spoke.

“We have looked through the information that has been presented to us, and we have thought through all that we know about our current situation. It is our belief that we must send some form of aid through to our daughter in Spain, for we cannot allow the French to take control of that which is not theirs. Salm, would you kindly inform us of our capabilities.”

Carl Theodor, Prince of Salm, Field Marshal and a man Leopold trusted, took his time before replying. He looked over his notes, made a few scribbles then replied. “Sire, from my research and inspection of the troops, it is my understanding that we can send at best three thousand men from the Empire into the Spanish Low Countries to provide aid and relief. They would solely be drawn from the forces of Austria, Hungary and Bohemia as well as from Tyrol, however, for I am not confident that the troops of the Princes could be respected.”

That was not what Leopold wanted to hear, he had spent a long time cultivating relationships with the Princes of the Empire, he knew Hanover and Baden were loyal but Prussia was another matter. “Three thousand men, that is not enough to stem the tide of what is happening in the Spanish Netherlands, even with the Dutch and the British stating that they are going to aid in the defence. We need to give more of a presence. After all our son Charles shall be ruling there.” His son had expressed a desire to fight in the war, but he was only fourteen at the moment, not old enough to take charge of the regiments.

“If I might suggest a course of action, Sire?” That was Metternich, his ever useful spy master. Leopold gestured for the man to continue. “Our sources report that Louis of France is preparing to send regiments into Italy, looking to take Milan. With this in mind I think it would be best to send our men there.”

Leopold almost had a heart attack when he heard that. “They are going for the Duchy?” That was a crucial defender for the Empire, especially for their territories in Italy. He looked at Metternich and asked. “How certain are you that that is indeed their plan?” He knew Louis it could well be a false flag to get men away from where they needed to be.

“I am definitely sure, Your Majesty. The men I have spoken with include officials who were present at Louis’s military discussion. He is going for Milan.” Metternich replied.

Leopold looked at Salm then and said. “Then we want the three thousand men we have ready to go to Milan as soon as they are able. We must take the Duchy from the French before they even have a chance of getting into it. We want Eugene to command the men and we want regular reports of their progress.”

“Yes Your Imperial Majesty.” Salm replied making a note of that.

Leopold then turned his focus to the other pressing matter. “What reports have there been of the Ottomans, has the Sultan decided on what he is doing?” Leopold had placed spies in the court of the Sultan, and had had them work on the man’s brother, trying to get him to revolt, to ensure there was war there. The Persians had expressed no desire to fight anymore, not after their most recent war.

Metternich replied slowly. “The Sultan’s brother continues to pause and contemplate. He has done nothing but offer empty promises. I do not think he will revolt. However, the Greeks and Bulgarians continue to agitate.”

“Then perhaps we would be best advised to help finance their revolts. We could speak with the Russian Tsar and see what he says. Why needlessly go to war, when others can do the work for you?” Leopold mused.

Philippe de Croy, finance minister and brother to another Field Marshal spoke then. “Sire, we would need to raise taxes not just in the Crown domains but elsewhere within the Empire. I am not sure whether the Princes would view that as a wise investment, considering the French threat.”

Leopold looked at the man and said. “We must do what is necessary to ensure that the Muslims do not garner enough power to threaten us again. If they are good Christians regardless of their faith, the Princes will understand that. We cannot have them knocking on our door again.” He looked at Metternich and said. “Send word to the Tsar, inform him of our plan and desire, and let us move from there,” He looked at Salm. “We shall want troops prepared and ready to march though.” All men nodded, Leopold rose and walked out of the room.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, now the Austrians have committed men to fight in Italy, and Leopold might have found a way to get the Turks nailed without sending one Austrian boot on the battlefield. What do you guys think? Is this a long term strategy for success?

“Then perhaps we would be best advised to help finance their revolts. We could speak with the Russian Tsar and see what he says. Why needlessly go to war, when others can do the work for you?” Leopold mused.

Philippe de Croy, finance minister and brother to another Field Marshal spoke then. “Sire, we would need to raise taxes not just in the Crown domains but elsewhere within the Empire. I am not sure whether the Princes would view that as a wise investment, considering the French threat.”

The majority of german prince were wary of Louis XIV, but Leopold action could be really misinterpreted, he begins to improve his authority in the empire, would the Protestant prnce be happy to pay taxes to weaken an Habsburg enemy especially if the french make them a lot of promise if they join his side, also if leopold support some ottomans rebel, the ottomans could do the same in the empire, also how would react the Spanish Netherlands, they will feel betrayed by the austrian Habsburg, and they are not fond of the British and the Netherlands (two protestant nation). also the other Germans prince will be furious,
the emperor abandons strategic territories for their security, for his own benefit (in their mind).

Now with Poland in the Habsburg side, Ottoman in trouble, huge coalition against the french (both ennemies of Louis XIV) Leopold that start to assert his authority in the empire, many protestant would be wary of the Habsburg.

VVD0D95

Banned
The majority of german prince were wary of Louis XIV, but Leopold action could be really misinterpreted, he begins to improve his authority in the empire, would the Protestant prnce be happy to pay taxes to weaken an Habsburg enemy especially if the french make them a lot of promise if they join his side, also if leopold support some ottomans rebel, the ottomans could do the same in the empire, also how would react the Spanish Netherlands, they will feel betrayed by the austrian Habsburg, and they are not fond of the British and the Netherlands (two protestant nation). also the other Germans prince will be furious,
the emperor abandons strategic territories for their security, for his own benefit (in their mind).

Now with Poland in the Habsburg side, Ottoman in trouble, huge coalition against the french (both ennemies of Louis XIV) Leopold that start to assert his authority in the empire, many protestant would be wary of the Habsburg.
Possible, but and this is a big but, leopold hasn’t shown any inclination to infringe on theirnrights

VVD0D95

Banned
Yeah it's for that i say start, by rising taxes to use against the ottomans.
You think their fear or something that hasn’t happened out weighs their fear of something that could well happen?

As to Spanish Netherlands, it’s auote the trek for leopold men aha

ah maybe i misunderstood

Leopold looked at the man and said. “We must do what is necessary to ensure that the Muslims do not garner enough power to threaten us again. If they are good Christians regardless of their faith, the Princes will understand that.

I though that he wanted to taxes the princes.

Chapter 82: Azim, Wait Your Turn

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 82: Azim, Wait Your Turn

Azim fought back the cold that was threatening to overwhelm him. He despised Delhi, had always despised it, but despised it even more so now. His father had entered the city after he had defeated his uncle Azam, and forced him back. But because he had not been able to kill him, his father, Bahadur Shah refused to speak with him outside of council meetings, or even address him as anything other than by his name. Whilst Jahandar, Azim’s older brother was treated as Crown Prince and a true Mughal commander. It was infuriating, but Azim held back from engaging in rage.

His father and brother and the other councillors looked at him now, as he gave his report. “Sire, our scouts report that Azam Shah remains camped within the Bengal regrouping and planning his next assault. His son has been sent out with men to try and garner the support of the tribes within the deserts. I do not know whether they have been successful, as we have not been able to locate the tribes.”

“And what of his other allies?” Father demanded, there was an edge to Father’s voice that suggested that there would be trouble if he gave a response the man did not like.

“His allies in Odisha and the north-eastern provinces remain strong and committed to his cause. They refuse to be swayed by offers of either money or elevation. I think they will not turn unless he and his son are dead.” Azim said.

“Then perhaps we should engage them in war, what are we waiting for?” Jahandar asked.

Azim looked at his brother, trying to decide if the man was serious or not. Jahandar had the air of arrogance would expect from someone who had always been treated like a God by both their Father and Mother. Yet he lacked the brains to back that up. “We cannot attack them now, not when we must secure our hold over our own territories.” Azim pointed out. “The Hotaks are yet to commit firmly to His Imperial Majesty, and the Sikhs continue to stir controversy, we must handle our affairs here before we move on them.”

“You know we would not have this problem had you simply killed Azam Shah when you had the chance.” Jahandar shot back.

Azim bit back his response, they all knew that this whole situation could have been avoided had Jahandar not sent a provocative letter to their uncle when Father was away fighting the Afghans and the Persians. He turned to Father and continued. “Sire, we must handle this new Sikh rebellion, otherwise we shall be finished. It has gone on for far too long. The governor of Lahore states that they are approaching the city.”

“The Sikhs will do what they have always done, they will cause trouble then they will fall back to their own ways. Our Father is dead, they have little reason to rebel now. We have been quite gracious with our tolerance.” Father replied in the same sedate manner he had taken to speaking recently.

Azim wanted to push the point, but before he could, Akram Khan, the advisor to the army, spoke. “Sire, I think that we should be focusing on the Marathas. They are gaining more and more power within the Rajputana, and with their false Emperor’s heir’s marriage to a daughter of a prominent Rajput clan, they will only grow more powerful. We must stop them, and we must stop them now.”

As always, Jahandar went with the wind. “I agree, Sire. The Marathas are the most pressing threat, other than Azam Shah.”

Father looked at him, and Azim knew, he just knew that he was not going to get any sort of praise for the hard work he had put in, because what he was about to say did not please Father. “The Marathas have already strengthened their grip on Rajputana with all the clans pledging allegiance to them. They have struck an alliance with the English in terms of naval building, and they are testing the Portuguese. The only reason they have not yet moved from there to come north is that they are waiting to see what happens. I think that it would be wise to strike an alliance with them.”

“You wish to strike an alliance with the people who wish to take everything that our ancestors have worked for? The same people who wish to see all Muslims removed from this land.” Father replied barely concealed rage in his voice. “You are lucky that you are our son, otherwise we would have you executed.”

“If we do not ally with them, then Azam will and we shall be facing two armies. We cannot win against two armies. Either we ally with them or we fight them.” Azim said. “We cannot ignore them.”

“We shall let them eat one another alive. They are Hindus, that is what they do.” Father said, in what was clearly a dismissal. Azim sighed, but said nothing. He knew their doom was sealed.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes it would
Duly noted. Just so everyone knows, currently it is February, 1700.

Europe is moving into another big war, the Spanish Netherlands are falling quickly to France, the Dutch and the Britannic forces are moving to aid the Spanish, the Spanish are currently engaged in their own civil war fighting Aragonese rebels, who are funded by the French. In India, the Mughal Empire is fracturing, behind Bahadur Shah and Azam Shah two sons of the previous Mughal Emperor.

Chapter 83: Navy

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 83: Navy

March, 1700

George coughed, fighting against his asthma and his tiredness. He had asked for the chance to lead his adopted country into war, and by God would he do his duty. He cleared his throat, took a sip of water, spat the water out, then took another sip. He cleared his throat again, then looked at the map spread out before him on the table. He pointed at the spots where ships were marked.

“We have been engaged in this constant back and forth for three weeks now. I would think that either the French are leading us on a merry chase, or there is something else going on here. Which is it?”

John Russel, Chief Officer of the HMS Britannia spoke then. “Your Royal Highness, we’ve scoured through every possible combination the French could be applying, we’ve read through the logs and the notes that were given to us from the spies. I think it is fair to say that they are playing the waiting game.”

George was aware that Russel was cousins with Edward Russel, the man who objected strongly to his own appointment in command of the naval expedition, and so he took caution with the words he said. “If that is the case, then we would perhaps be best bringing the fight to them. We know that the Dutch are preparing their vessels, we should engage now whilst we have the upper hand.”

“Do you think that the Dutch will try and distract us from the objective, Your Royal Highness?” Russel asked. Where the man’s loyalties lay, if it were with his brother or with George, George did not know, and he was not sure if he wanted to find out.

Choosing his words carefully, George replied. “I believe that the Dutch are going to engage in what is in their best interests. Right now that is a land war. They will not fully commit to a naval war unless they are confident in driving the French away from Spanish ports. Right now that confidence does not exist. Therefore, we must take the fight to the French.” He pointed to the map. “We can move toward their positions either at Calais or at Dieppe, but we cannot remain here. Doing so will put everything in harm’s way.”

Russel nodded. “I agree, Your Royal Highness, I would advise Dieppe, that way we can truly threaten them and make them consider their options. And it would allow for a diversion away from the troops which are being landed in the Spanish Netherlands.”

George hummed in agreement, Marlborough had pushed for a diversion of some sort and George had struggled to think of how that might be achieved until now. “Very well, send the word out for us to move from our current position southwards. If the French are worried about an actual invasion then their strength will be turned from Calais.” The orders were written down and passed out. “Send word to Herbert and Russel, I want their best ships preparing for action.” John Russel nodded and hurried out of the chamber. George looked at his other officers. “Prepare the cannons and load your muskets, we do not know what might happen during the journey. Dismissed.” The men bowed before hurrying out. George was left alone for a mere moment before his page boy came in. The boy named William Stanhope was not really a page, though, he would soon be knighted and given a commission somewhere within the military.

“The orders have been sent out, Your Royal Highness, the officers await you on deck.” Stanhope said.

George nodded and walked out of the cabin, where he found Russel and John Norris another officer under his command there waiting for him. “Gentlemen.” He said.

They both bowed then Norris said. “Your Royal Highness, we have found French ships approaching.” The man handed him a looking glass.

George looked out and swore. “Prepare the cannons now, send the signals for action. They’re clearly coming toward us to engage.” He handed the glass back to Norris and looked at Russel. “Well, what are you waiting for? Get to it.” Russel bowed and barked out the orders once he’d hurried off. George looked at Norris. “Take the wheel from first hand, we shall need a steady presence.”

As the ship prepared itself for oncoming battle, the other ships in the fleet came together in formation, defensive though it was, George felt confident that they could withstand the worst of it. And then he heard the sound of thunder, and swore again.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, here we've got a few developments, George, Duke of Cumberland and Royal Consort to the Queen, commanding the fleet to face France. Off the coast of France, and between Britannia, he's looking to go on the attack.

A few other notes, Stanhope otl became Lord President of the Council and Earl of Harrington during the reign of George II. John Norris became Admiral of the Fleet otl.

Chapter 84: Queen Maria

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 84: Queen Maria

May, 1700

Maria waved the fan slightly, trying to ensure that she did not melt under the heat. Summer had come with something fierce today, and she was not enjoying it. She wiped her brow and then looked at those before her, the Duke of Baena , the Duke of Arion, the Bishop of Toledo and of course her husband Maximillian-who had just returned from inspecting troops on the border with Aragon. Maria took a breath then spoke.

“We have heard from our husband, the King Consort that events within Aragon continue to grow worse by the day, and that the French continue to funnel funds into the rebel coffers, despite our best efforts to suppress this. That is not acceptable to us and such we would hear what you all have to say about this.” Maria kept her voice calm even though she was deeply angry.

The Duke of Baena who served as Lord Treasurer for Castile spoke. “Your Majesty, I have kept a detailed account of everything that has been spent during the past year and a half since your ascension and since the rebellion began. I have analysed everything from the beginning to now, and I can tell you this, we can keep trying to offer bribes and other such incentives but the French will continue to outbid us, they have more funds.”

“You are telling us that we cannot outbid the French, due to the fact that we are low on funds, is that what you are telling us, Duke?” Maria demanded, trying to hide her incredulity and most likely failing.

“Yes, Your Majesty. We do not have enough within the tax base to fund the bribes that would sway the Duke of Aliaga back to the straight and narrow. Instead we are throwing away money that could be used to pay off the debts that were incurred during the reigns of King Carlos and King Felipe.” The Duke answered simply.

Maria felt angry, but it was Maximilian who gave voice to her frustrations. “So, then what are we to do? If we cannot bribe the rebels into coming back to the throne, then we have not enough to fund an army to destroy the rebels in the field. That is the simple answer is not, Baena?”

The Duke shook his head. “Not necessarily, Your Majesties. The British have won a victory at sea against the French, raising fears in Versailles that they could be about to see another invasion. If we can capitalise on the good feeling within London, perhaps we might be able to do something to balance the books.”

“You do not mean seeking a loan from them, do you?” Maria demanded. Such a thing would be embarrassing.

“No, of course not, Your Majesty. What I suggest is that we provide them with a base of operations to launch a campaign into Aragon or into the Netherlands, and from there we devise a plan. I would recommend drawing Aliaga out from Aragon, at present he holds Zaragoza and the border towns, but he lacks strength outside these areas. If we can ensure that those inner towns remember their true loyalty then we shall have things finished.” Baena replied.

“I am not comfortable inviting the Britannic people into Aragon or Spain as a whole. That could definitely send the wrong signal.” Maximilian pointed out.

“Indeed, we shall want those lords loyal to use in Aragon notified, and bring the rivalries to the fore. Remind them of what they can gain if they remove Aliaga.” Maria said. Baena made a note of that, and then she added. “Maximilian, dearest husband, you shall take five thousand men with you from here to take the border towns and ensure that Aliaga is surrounded.” Her husband nodded. She then turned to Toledo, a snake whom she did not trust. “Your Holiness shall write to the Vatican to remind them of the horrors France has committed and who it was who has defended them throughout this time.” The man nodded his head. Maria rose and said. “Very well you are dismissed.”

Spanish economy should be in crumb, right now, (especially seen they don't have french money ITTL), their economy was already close to bankruptcy before the war, i wonder how many month could they last, but for me the most likely outcome would be the Austrian part of Habsburg, Dutch and English that will support them with their money, but it may have repercussions, because else the lack of money risk of starting to scare Spanish leader.