A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

It's also worth pointing out that Singapore is overwhelmingly ethnically Chinese, while Malaysia is Malay. This seems to have preyed on peoples minds quite a bit. Add in a massive RN presence and Japan just over the horizon, and I can't see the UK letting Singapore go.

At the moment I'm assuming an earlier Indian independence (largely due to the war finishing earlier), but because Congress and Linlithgow kissed and made up in 1940 the Muslim League is much less powerful so it's heading for a loose federation rather than a two-state solution. This also helps with the Princely States who quite like their autonomy.

Regarding Singapore, that's true, though it seemed to have preyed on the minds of the British (who were concerned what the Malays might think about Singapore's large Chinese population) and on the minds of some Malays. It seemed to be less of a consideration for the Singaporeans themselves as both the first chief minister (David Marshall of the Labour Front, who was born to Sephardic Jewish parents that immigrated from Baghdad in the Ottoman Empire) and one of his opponents in Lee Kuan Yew of the PAP (who was ethnically Chinese) pushed for joining Malaya over 1955 to 1962.

Malaya's chief minister, Tunku, had initially rebuffed these attempts to court union over the racial issue, but gradually became concerned over the possibility of an independent Singapore becoming controlled by a hostile government or Indonesia eventually attempting to take it or influence, so by mid-1960 he had begun considering unification.

Of course one massive difference between OTL and TTL might be the effect of a lack (?) of a communist China and how that might have affected views on ethnic Chinese in Malaya, Singapore and Borneo. After all the Malayan Emergency was fought against the Malayan Communist Party's armed guerrilla force (MNLA/MPLA) and the leader of both the Party and its armed force was an ethnic Chinese Malayan and most of the support for the MNLA came from ethnic Chinese Malayans . A major strategy of the Emergency was to forcibly relocate around half a million (mainly Chinese) rural folk into the "New Villages" as a way to cut off the MNLA from its support base (and deport about 10,000 suspected Malayan/Malaysian Chinese communists back to the newly established People's Republic of China in 1949).

Without a Japanese invasion (?) to have weakened British imperial control over rural Malaya and to strengthen the Malayan communists (as they became allies of necessity for the British during OTL World War II) it is quite possible that we don't see Malayan communist guerrillas gaining the strength to cause major concern as in OTL and that subsequently, ethnic Chinese overall are viewed with less suspicion in the late 1940s into the late 1950s (that isn't to say that the Malayan leaders will want to embrace the ethnic Chinese, but that this might be one less reason to be hesitant over the Chinese as besides just upsetting the balance or dominating the federation, there would be less concerns over the ethnic Chinese acting as a fifth column and as a source of Communist Chinese influence in the region).

In this world, Japan might take the place of Konfrontasi era Indonesia as well as communist China of OTL in being seen as a the Big Threat in Asia. With Japan as the threat (and presumably Japan still having adventures in China), then if Singapore retains its importance as a RN base and the early decolonization of India leads a Dominion of a looser Federation of India (as somewhat envisioned in the 1935 Government of India Act) that retains stronger Commonwealth ties (reminiscent of how Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Canada acted in the Commonwealth from 1920-1949) then there would be ample reason to maintain British forces in Singapore/the Far East.

Malayan chief minister Tunku might then be less concerned about Singapore falling under the control of an unfriendly government (since the British will remain) and so he might also be less inclined to consider unification (since he can get what he wants without accepting union with Singapore). He might however be open to continued integration in other forms (Singapore and Malaya already used the same currency by then anyway - the Malaya and North Borneo dollar), such as further civil service integration, education, aspects of trade and in defence.

Hoping that this thread hasn't been dead for long enough for this to qualify as necroposting...

pdf, this is magnificent. Just finished reading from the beginning to now, and I have loved the enormous detail and care you have put into this massive and complex story over many years. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A few particular personal highlights:

1. The utterly appropriate death of Hitler.
2. The (Czecho)Slovaks doing Blitzkrieg in trains in December 41/January 42. The world's only rail-based Blitzkrieg. If only there had been a couple of armoured trains!
3. The naming of the operation involving Rijn barges. You utter, utter bastard. (well done!)
4. All the fascinating tech postings, especially the British aircraft and engines, a topic about which I knew very little before reading this timeline.
5. Just how hard you had to lean to give France a chance (not only did forces happen to be in the right place at the right time, but you also had to remove Gamelin and Georges from effective command and control so the local commanders could have a free hand) - but then how quickly the French army got its act together and how thoroughly it grasped at that chance.
6. Lion and Temeraire are still building. Oh, frabjous day! (also the Montanas, but I'm less bothered by things that don't carry the White Ensign)

And finally, if the PDF-for-a-donation scheme is still going, then I am definitely interested when the 1941 content is added to the PDF.

Last edited:
Hoping that this thread hasn't been dead for long enough for this to qualify as necroposting...

pdf, this is magnificent. Just finished reading from the beginning to now, and I have loved the enormous detail and care you have put into this massive and complex story over many years. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A few particular personal highlights:

1. The utterly appropriate death of Hitler.
2. The (Czecho)Slovaks doing Blitzkrieg in trains in December 41/January 42. The world's only rail-based Blitzkrieg. If only there had been a couple of armoured trains!
3. The naming of the operation involving Rijn barges. You utter, utter bastard. (well done!)
4. All the fascinating tech postings, especially the British aircraft and engines, a topic about which I knew very little before reading this timeline.
5. Just how hard you had to lean to give France a chance (not only did forces happen to be in the right place at the right time, but you also had to remove Gamelin and Georges from effective command and control so the local commanders could have a free hand) - but then how quickly the French army got its act together and how thoroughly it grasped at that chance.
6. Lion and Temeraire are still building. Oh, frabjous day! (also the Montanas, but I'm less bothered by things that don't carry the White Ensign)

And finally, if the PDF-for-a-donation scheme is still going, then I am definitely interested when the 1941 content is added to the PDF.
Lol PDF is very very proud of how he killed Hitler and the people on the thread kept arguing about bananas instead.

Lol PDF is very very proud of how he killed Hitler and the people on the thread kept arguing about bananas instead.
I'm proud of only a few things in my life, but actually starting the argument about bananas in this tread is one of them. Also of note, the Banana variety that is mentioned here is *not* the one that you would find in the store today. The common Banana Variety in the 1940s was the Gros Michel Banana which as of the 1960s was hit by an outbreak of a specific fungus. The most common Banana variety today is Cavendish, though there are issues there with a specific fungus that may lead to the Cavendish suffering the same fate.

It will be interesting to see whether tariffs will stay low enough that both Jamaica and Central America can supply both the US and Europe or whether the tarriffs will keep Jamaican bananas as the primary supply to Europe.

Driftless

Donor
I'm proud of only a few things in my life, but actually starting the argument about bananas in this tread is one of them. Also of note, the Banana variety that is mentioned here is *not* the one that you would find in the store today. The common Banana Variety in the 1940s was the Gros Michel Banana which as of the 1960s was hit by an outbreak of a specific fungus. The most common Banana variety today is Cavendish, though there are issues there with a specific fungus that may lead to the Cavendish suffering the same fate.

It will be interesting to see whether tariffs will stay low enough that both Jamaica and Central America can supply both the US and Europe or whether the tarriffs will keep Jamaican bananas as the primary supply to Europe.
Wasn't there also a logistics component of that banana discussion? Where part of the discussion got sidetracked into the conversion of several of the interwar surplus US four-piper destroyers into speedy transports. First for the banana run from Central America to New Orleans and other destinations, then other fast transport conversions. Or, am I conflating that train of thought with another Timeline?

Last edited:
Nah squishy trigger (not that I ever noticed) and length of pull (I have no idea what that means but I saw it mentioned on the internet so it must be a thing)
The whole squishy trigger thing is mainly a complaint by target/competition shooters who are used to far crisper trigger groups. The transfer bars used in bull-pup rifles apparently flex slightly, hence their squishiness. They also complain about squishy triggers in a lot of weapons, including AKs and most military rifles. It's been a standard complaint by the target/competition shooting fraternity for well over 100 years, as they mostly forget that 'good enough now' is more desired than 'perfect later' by most nations militaries. Back when semi-auto pistols were first being developed, the whole squishy trigger thing was a frequent complaint when they were compared to revolvers, and it had occurred with double-action triggers when they were invented earlier.

The year is 2050. PDF has already had great grand kids. We're on thread 4. We continue to debate bananas. Calbear can't ban us because the post is still technically active.
Is that the cryogenically frozen bear who is only briefly revived each year in a futile attempt to ban the thread that will not die?
😁

Also this sounds very stupid, and I think I've read this thread 3 times but I still couldn't quite parse it out from the maps, but why DID the French manage to repel the Germans in the TL? I know they made some changes, but I didn't quite understand it. I know once the Germans decided to let themselves get encircled in Paris was the big gamechanger for the war-once that happened the French and British were able to get their shit together and also force a surrender en masse.