A Blank Map Thread

Qazaq is working on it? For the last few weeks I have been fixing the rivers too. I have completed about half of the Americas, so what should I do?

BTW, Does anyone know a good resource for info on the rivers in Mexico and Brazil?
Keep working it...

PM him with your map.
Pointless, Q has left the boards. I still have contact with him from time to time... and any updates i get i shall share. if you are correcting the rivers, i would keep doing so and then compare the maps afterward

Can't re-edit my previous posts, so here are the blank and river versions of the Worlda basemap once more, with St. Pierre and Miquelon fixed:

worldmapblank.png

worldmapblankwithrivers.png

Guess where

And, yes, it's meant to be outdated geography. I was trying to chart how the place looked in nature, rather than with all the landfills, etc., that people engaged in. Of course, the problem with that is that shorelines in some of the swampier areas are in flux, particularly with hurricanes and the like. So, of course, at least a couple of nineteenth-century maps from different years had to be reconciled, and then there was the 18th century to be reckoned with at the southern tip of an island, site of a city since the 17th century OTL. On the fringes, I got a bit tired of having to look at old maps, so territories near the edge are often present-day. Map is loosely based on a Wikipedia map of the territory in question. So this "timeless" map has a wee bit of ASBishness and some ISOTing. Nonetheless, it's a "natural" landscape...:D;)

nyc new blank map.PNG

Now, if only the islands in Jamaica Bay and nearby would sit still for once and not change so radically on a frequent basis in the nineteenth century.... (At least one island in that area is known to have disappeared due to a hurricane. Hog Island, 1893, well after the years of the maps I was using for that area, which were circa 1811 and 1844. My rendition of Coney Island is based on the earlier map: in the later one, it's rendered as one island, not three.)

As it is, the islands in the Bay are an ISOTed muddle of 1811 and 1844, and the waterways on the right-hand side are from the 21st century Wikipedia map. I tried to kick Manhattan back to at least the 18th century and hopefully before. Geographical features in Brooklyn and Queens are basically 19th century, however.

Last edited:
After reading for a bit there, I was thinking that perhaps there should be a UCS for urban development. I'm familiar with colors used in SimCity, so:

Green-Residential
Light green- parks
Light yellow- farmland
Yellow-industrial
Blue - commercial/ CBD (Central Business District)

Trouble is, I don't agree with coloring farmland yellow. (To my eyes it looks like it ought to be some shade of green.) Also, mixed use districts should be outlined somehow (a combination of the colors; transport would be shown in some shade of gray). Major civic and public buildings (say, a Roman bathhouse or Penn Station) would probably need a distinctive color, too. Any comments or suggestions?

Should we give landfill a color? Also, shorelines become more important at the city level of scale because of landfill and other changes, and also because it's much smaller than the global scale that alternatehistory.com users are familiar with.

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
Anyone got an editable map of Italy during the 1490's or maybe 1500?
I'm trying to make a map of an alternate Renaissance Italy wherein Caesar Borgia roflstomps Florence and then Goes North.

Are there any maps showing the Maine boundary disputes and the claims of both sides? I haven't found any that differentiated the dispute from the eventual settlement (on the Northern border).

Does anyone have a blank map of Dinotopia? In the style of Xwarq's maps (pale blue water, pale green land, rivers)?

This is one I'm surprised I can't find.

I added some more large lakes to the Q-Bam:
- Fixed lake Ladoga around its eastern perimeter, which jutted too far outward. Also moved lake Onega a bit southwest.
- Added Baffin island’s Amadjuak lake.
- Added Lake Rudolf/Turkana (Kenya).
- Improved the Vistula lagoon.
- Corrected the Great Salt Lake.

I also tried to add the major lakes of Finland, but it ended up cluttering the map far too much, even at this scale. And most of them also ended up looking too small and narrow to warrant inclusion.

qbamupdate3.png

If I could make a request, it would be to make the updated Q-Bam with the "globe" frame and the missing Pacific islands on there. Well, what I really would like is the islands, but those require said "globe" frame.

I tried to search for it but couldn't find a map I need. Does anyone have a base map of North America with or without the rest of the world at 9000BCE? Thanks in advance.

hi

does anyone know of a good base map for an Ottoman map

like one with the balkans and Middle East in it

i have an idea of making a map with a late ottoman empire

thanks in advance:)