A Better Name For The War Of 1812

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madisons Folly of cause Jacksons little win in New Orleans was the only thing that changed that.

That Battle of New Orleans was no little win. Afterall,
Strategically, control of New Orleans determined control of the Mississippi River and, by extension, most of the western territory.
Before that there had only been inconclusive battles on both sides.

Read this article which says US Independence really was 40 years later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/03/AR2008070303251.html

One thing, if the english had taken New Orleans would they have not needed to return New Orleans to the US since afterall a treaty to end the war had already been signed in Europe when the battle took place.

Madisons Folly of cause Jacksons little win in New Orleans was the only thing that changed that.

That Battle of New Orleans was no little win. Afterall, Before that there had only been inconclusive battles on both sides.

Read this article which says US Independence really was 40 years later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/03/AR2008070303251.html

One thing, if the english had taken New Orleans would they have not needed to return New Orleans to the US since afterall a treaty to end the war had already been signed in Europe when the battle took place.

GAAAAH ARRRRRG GAAAAH ARRRGH! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

New Orleans changed nothing! It was a bullshit, irrelevant, stupid, unnecessary battle that accomplished nothing except to make the career of a genocidal nutbar! The treaty was the status quo ante bellum! Explicitly! If the British had taken New Orleans they would have handed it back, because the treaty said Louisiana was American! For the love of God, what is with Americans and New Orleans! It's like ending your WWII coverage with a rousing rendition of the capture of Hiroo Onoda! It's stupid!

New Orleans changed nothing! It was a bullshit, irrelevant, stupid, unnecessary battle that accomplished nothing except to make the career of a genocidal nutbar! The treaty was the status quo ante bellum! Explicitly! If the British had taken New Orleans they would have handed it back, because the treaty said Louisiana was American! For the love of God, what is with Americans and New Orleans! It's like ending your WWII coverage with a rousing rendition of the capture of Hiroo Onoda! It's stupid!

It wouldn't be the first time the British failed to abide by the terms of a treaty with the United States. The British held onto forts in the Old Northwest and the Great Lakes region until at least 1794...just 16 years before War of 1812. With New Orleans giving them such major advantages, why would they just hand it over? More likely it would be a case of "I've got it now, it's mine."

We make a big deal of it because we won and won in a fairly dramatic fashion. Harrison and Winfield Scott won some fairly major victories, not to mention Fort McHenry but New Oreleans was a flat out rout and elevated Jackson to the presidency. There is no substitute for victory... even if it was meaningless as the treaty had been signed. It let us go out of the war with our heads held high.

The List so far...

The War of Ghent
The Second Anglo-American Civil War
The Boring War of Utter Stupidity
The War of Canadian Freedom
The Last American/British War
The Great Lakes War
The Northwestern War
The Great Distraction
The Grand Adventure
the Second American-British War
The War of American Agression
The War of Impressment
The American-Indian War
The Toasty White House Conflict
the Second Anglo-American War
the Second War of Independence
The Toronto Burning Campaign
The War to Avenge British Perfidy
The War for Freedom of the Seas
War of Northern Agression
The Great Capital Weenie Roast
the War of (failed) Canadian Liberation
The Canadian War of Independance
The Empire Strikes Back
The War of the Sixth Coalition
The Great American Sideshow

If I forgot any, my apologies. I've decided to take the ones poeple like best and make a poll later so we can offcaily rename the war, at least on Ah.com.:)

I rather like 'The Great Lakes War' since it's just generic enough, but specific enough, to differentiate it from the many Shawnee Confederacy wars/campaigns but also enough to tell you conflict was a-brewin' between the North American nation-states.

I've got an idea! Let's turn this thread into a pointless debate on "who won the war" or "who was the good guy"...
STAY ON TOPIC PEOPLE

I know the British weren't exacly innocent in the matter, but Britain did try to appease the Americans at the end right before war was declared and the entire thing was only moved forward by Madison and his war hawks...

I was also taking cues from the term "War of Northern Agression"

I was under the impression that the last second compromises never made it to shore before the DOW? Even so ... it offered little compensation for the ill treatment that had been going on and gave no reason for the Americans to believe England wouldn't just start up again in a few months.

As to the topic, I normally tend to call it the Second American Revolution. The new nation in all reality broke completely free from England as they finally established their rights to lands and areas in the NWT that were not properly evacuated and given up by the Brits at the end of the (1st) Revolution. It's really just a bit of bad planning, bad timing and bad form. (on the part of New England.) Even without New England, if the Americans had some decent planning and organization they might have knocked the British out of Canada. The British might have had little resistance to the fact depending on the timing of the war in relation to just where in the N. Wars it lands. With New England troops and cash at the outset of the war, the doors of possibility really swing open. I suppose the British might not take the loss of Canada lightly and swing their full weight over the Atlantic after Nap's fall ... but I don't know just how much war weariness had set in by that point. Nor the importance of Canada to the government of the time.

Another vote might be the War of the Atlantic due to the reasons for the DOW and the geography of the nations fighting. Or even the War for the Waters as the major events involved the Great Lakes, the Atlantic, and finishing up with New Orleans which represented the important waters of the Miss. and Gulf.

Last edited:
Purely out of interest; why do all the American Versions of the War of 1812 go out of their way to ignore the pre-war work of Isaac Brock to prepare British North America for self-defense against the American forces? It was a major factor in why the Americans failed so utterly in taking the war into BNA afterall.

I've got an idea! Let's turn this thread into a pointless debate on "who won the war" or "who was the good guy"...
STAY ON TOPIC PEOPLE
No one is doing that.
What is fact (whether it was justified or not) is that it was the US invading Canada. Britain attacking the US only came once that was beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.