A Better Name For The War Of 1812

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely out of interest; why do all the American Versions of the War of 1812 go out of their way to ignore the pre-war work of Isaac Brock to prepare British North America for self-defense against the American forces? It was a major factor in why the Americans failed so utterly in taking the war into BNA afterall.

Hmmmmm ... I wouldn't say the topic is ignored but that most would argue or estimate the primary reasons for the failure of the campaign lie elsewhere. I suppose I personally would say his efforts are understated.

Purely out of interest; why do all the American Versions of the War of 1812 go out of their way to ignore the pre-war work of Isaac Brock to prepare British North America for self-defense against the American forces? It was a major factor in why the Americans failed so utterly in taking the war into BNA afterall.

the two books I have on the subject don't do that; in fact, they go rather the opposite route, describing how the American attempt to invade Canada was badly done, and how the US militia did so poorly defending Washington. About the only bright spot the books mention in the Battle of New Orleans... and the handful of victories US ships won at sea...

Well, more or less. All were global in territorial scope and involved most of the powers of the day.

We might be skipping a few more global conflicts between the Coalition Wars and WW1, though.

I totally agree, the 7 years war was the first war of global scope and significance and just describing a war by how long it lasted is lame.

It has been called the most unncessary war by Teddy Roosevelt.The North Atlantic shipping war is a possible alternative war. How about the first Battle of the Atlantic?

Baskilisk

Banned
Hmmm, how about:
"The War of Canadian Nationalism"?
Got the ball rolling...
or
"Champlain Campaign"
Has a fun little rhyme:D
or
"The New Orleans War"
*tongue-in-cheek*

The American-Indian War

It's boring and doesn't take anyone's side, just like The War of 1812.

Edit: Maybe that's why it shouldn't be chosen.

So, with respect to wanting to piss off the other guy:
Americans can call it: War of Survival
British: War of American Aggression (Got to love that alliteration)
Canadians: War of Southern Aggression

Last edited:
The US was never in any way fighting for survival except perhaps from within- N.England could maybe have gotten so sick of the sillyness they break off.

Baskilisk

Banned
The US was never in any way fighting for survival except perhaps from within- N.England could maybe have gotten so sick of the sillyness they break off.
This looks a like a misunderstanding of American character of the time.
In such regards, I call it the "War of American Nationalism"

in america: the anglo-american war
in canada: the war of american aggression
in britain: there was a war???

Status
Not open for further replies.