21st century Star Trek history

Reading over it, it seems to rely very heavily on the novelizations, which Roddenbury and Paramount disregard as cannon for use in Trek discussions, whereas lucasarts allows Star Wars novels to be used as cannon in debate, total crap but what do we do?

Personally, I lean towards the idea that:

1) The 21st Century Trek TL follows much of OTL, rather than diverging into the eugenics wars.

2) The Eugenics Wars novelization has it being an all out gurilla conflict at first, then divulging into war in SE Asia and China. Most in the Trek circles disregard it as more of a "US Police Action with some nuclear weapons use" then a full on genocidal war.

3) The Alpha Centari contact thing always threw me off. No other series outside of TOS and TAS (animated Series), which even some including myself don't include as cannon, mentions the Alpha Centarians as anything more than an earth colony founded post-cochrane warp flight, not a world inhabited by greek decendents.

4) The whole part about already going to Alpha Centari, and Barnard's Star at FTL, when in ST: VIII they cleary say "The first warp ship" which implies the first faster-then-light jump, not "Eh, its the third or fourth FTL jump, but it uses the revolutionary warp bubble design", which Geordi in TNG, and Einsteinian Theory support. Anything not using the Warp bubble, ain't going FTL, it'll straddle the warp line sure, but I doubt that the humans are going to be sending anybody out.

5) The New UN was founded in response to the growing crisis in Europe, and the working class problems in the USA, and most likely didn't have access to FTL, or colonies in space.

6) If there were colonies in space, how did the borg NOT manage to utterly annhialate them on their trip to Montana? Wouldn't it make sense to completely destroy the support facilities already in orbit to make sure the jump doesn't go according to plan?

For all intensive purposes on screen and off, the crew never mentions any orbital space stations, or New UN FTL vessels which could have made the trip back to earth. With no orbital space stations, and no visable space debris, we must assume that most likely all satellites and orbiting space stations were either destroyed in the heavy fighting, which multiple ENT episodes mention (though not in great detail), or fell from orbit some time afterwards.
7) No series ever mentions the Bonaventure besides the Animated Series, which has the Bonaventure leaving earth in 2055 or 2056, not in the 2030's.

8) How did Cochrane spend years and years designing the Warp-Drive if he was working as a science officer aboard the Bonaventure on her "maiden" trip to Alpha Centari?

Anyways, I'm sure that I've bored you to death with my criticisms of the TL, PM me with any questions, concerns, or ideas you may have as to my response.

Reading this timeline of 21st and early 22nd century Star Trek events
really underlines just how different the 20th century also would have
been in the Star Trek universe.The Eugenics Wars of 1992-1996 are the
obvious major difference but there would also have to have been some
major technological (many more advances ),politcal and social
differences as well.Based on whats known from canon and written works
speculate on those differences.

General_Paul said:
Reading over it, it seems to rely very heavily on the novelizations, which Roddenbury and Paramount disregard as cannon for use in Trek discussions, whereas lucasarts allows Star Wars novels to be used as cannon in debate, total crap but what do we do?

Personally, I lean towards the idea that:

1) The 21st Century Trek TL follows much of OTL, rather than diverging into the eugenics wars.

2) The Eugenics Wars novelization has it being an all out gurilla conflict at first, then divulging into war in SE Asia and China. Most in the Trek circles disregard it as more of a "US Police Action with some nuclear weapons use" then a full on genocidal war.

This is actually a major area of contention among Star Trek fans.Those of us who see the Star Trek verse as an alternate history of sorts definitely prefer the world wide overt Eugenics War that was originally presented in Space Seed and recently reinforced by the Enterprise episodes.I enjoyed the Eugenics Wars books but the fact that it makes them covert and below the radar really flies in the face of all "canon" information known about them.

I agree with the previous post. It's a cop-out to have the eugenics wars be comething minor and covert. All the canon points to a major war between 1992-1996.