2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
POLITICO.com

PROSPECTIVE WALKEN CABINET POSITIONS

From a source within the Walken Campaign, Politico has acquired a list of people who are said to being considered for Cabinet posts.

Secretary of State-Arnold Vinick. Not a surprise, with Vinick's expertise and credibility on the world stage.

Attorney General-Ray Sullivan. A smart move on Walken's part-It co-opts Sullivan into his Administration, and he can apply his prosecutorial skills to a Justice Department desperately in need of direction.

Secretary of the Treasury-Stephen Kendrick. The Indiana Governor and econ. expert would be an excellent choice, but having just been reelected, would he agree?

Secretary of Defense-Matt Hunt. Not at all a surprise pick, Hunt is both a longtime ally of Walken and an expert on the armed forces. Another Senator, Michael Swain of Rhode Island, could be a dark horse, but will Walken give up a Senate seat that will surely go to a Democrat?

Secretary of Commerce-Evan Drake. The former Arizona Governor was a surprise VP pick, but a definite frontrunner for Commerce Sec. With his experience running a state government and major companies, a good choice for the post.

The most surprising name on the list was Marcus Blakemore, who was mentioned for 3 positions-Director of either the FBI or CIA, and UN Ambassador.

bbc.co.uk, Tuesday May 11th

BREAKING NEWS: Andrew Carter leaves Shadow Cabinet

It has been revealed in the last few minutes that Andrew Carter, the Conservatives Treasury spokesman has left his position in the shadow cabinet.

Carter left Conservative Central Office a few minutes ago and refused to confirm whether he was sacked or had tendered his resignation.

Conservative leader James Taylor is expected to reshuffle his shadow cabinet team early this morning in an attempt to fend off speculation of a no confidence vote that may comes as early as this evening.

Last edited:
timesonline.co.uk, Tuesday May 11th

Can Taylor Carry On?

When James Taylor become leader of the Conservative Party, if appeared that his party has accepted the need to make drastic changes to its outlook in order to secure a future shot at government.

Many of those changes involved adjusting the image of the party, increasing focus on environmental and social issues – Taylor himself said clearly that he saw the future of the party very much in the realm of “One Nation Conservatism”.

After a promising start Taylor floundered during the economic crisis, completely failing to set out a clear agenda and then contradicting a number of his senior figures who appeared to have settled on a policy of “lender of last resort” and suddenly embracing the government’s nationalization approach.

That caused serious splinters in his party, particularly between Andrew Carter and then Shadow Chancellor Richard Samuels.

Despite this Taylor seemed to be delivering on his promise and maintaining a decent poll showing. That all collapsed last year as a rejuvenated John Green started to launch a sustained assault on Tory policy and Taylor appeared to wilt under the pressure. With his most trusted lieutenant, Samuels leaving the shadow cabinet, he appeared vulnerable and promoting his chief rival Andrew Carter appeared to do little but undermine his core message.

Last week’s failure in local elections and poor national poll numbers have reaffirmed party fears that they desperately need one of their heavyweight – Andrew Carter, Michael Jones or Tom Hartley to step forward to stabilize the party and give them a chance of defeating a Green led government in a general election.

It would appear that the backbenchers in the parliamentary party are settled on that course of action – the question will be whether a vote of confidence will see Taylor’s downfall or allow him one final chance to regroup and find a path to victory.

bbc.co.uk, Tuesday May 11th

Taylor Faces No Confidence Vote

James Taylor was fighting for his political future this afternoon after 34 of his MPs said they had no confidence in his leadership.

Sir George Kelvan, the chairman of the Tories 1922 committee told Mr. Taylor that a vote must be carried out tomorrow.

The embattled leader has been advised by high profile allies and party grandees that he should stand down gracefully or risk the party falling into a damaging dispute.

Despite this Mr. Taylor has confirmed that he intends to fight on as leader and believes he will win the vote of confidence tomorrow. Flanked by key allies including shadow foreign secretary Michael Jones and former Shadow Chancellor Richard Samuels he declared that the ongoing dispute was “sapping power from the party.”

“Yesterday I asked the party to end this ludicrous speculation and unite in order to offer the people of this country a viable alternative to this failed Labour government. I am delighted that tomorrow we can end this speculation.”

Mr. Taylor confirmed that he has delayed his Shadow Cabinet reshuffle and that David Weller had now assumed the role of Shadow Chancellor following the departure of Andrew Carter. Taylor refused to confirm that he had sacked Mr. Carter after learning that he was one of the 34 MPs who supported the vote of confidence.

Ian Mcdiarmid as Sir George Kelvan, the chairman of the Conservative 1922 committee

Tuesday May 11th

"Vote of no confidece" going to be very close

Sources within the Conservative's say that the vote of no confidece Wednesday is going to be very close.
The 229 Conservative MPs are to vote from ten in the morning. It came after a dramtic day in Westminister when James Taylor sacked Andrew Carter.
The result is expected at around six.

spectator.co.uk – Coffee House, Tuesday May 11th

The Night Before…..

Paul Hoskins 9.48pm

There is quite a buzz around the corridors of Westminster tonight. James Taylor is fighting for his political life and doesn’t appear ready to go without a fight.

Taylor’s chief supporters including former Chancellor Richard Samuels and Chief Whip Steven Clarkson are frantically sweeping the bars of Westminster trying to ensure sufficient support for their leader in tomorrow’s vote.

What we can gather is that the vote will be extremely close, with sources close to Andrew Carter already telling press that he is putting together the mechanisms required to run a leadership campaign.

What may cause more interest tomorrow is that Taylor may get one last chance to improve his chances as he will be at Prime Minister's Questions at midday tomorrow.

Transcription from NBS's "The Late Night Show with John Tomkins," Tuesday, May 11, 2010

JT: Our first guest tonight, when he's not entertaining the world with his hilarious videos, he's dancing his way onto the podiums of the Republican National Convention. Please welcome, former Ohio Governor Mike Reed!

[*Come on, Eileen plays as Reed does a slight annoyed jig for a second before walking up and greeting Tomkins to mild applause*]

MR: Good to be, here, John, good to be here.

JT: Governor, how have you been doing, how's the family?

MR: Great. Mikey's getting good grades in high school, and Eileen's, well, she's... getting by at college.

[*laughter*]

JT: Now alot has changed since last we met --

MR: Yep, yep [*nods*]

JT: You dropped out of the presidential race, endorsed Acting President Walken, then you started a website and petitioned to be Walken's running mate?

MR: Let me stop you there, I never actually petitioned President Walken. The petitions were sent by my supporters and supporters of the website. I just signed off on them. [*smiles*]

JT: But you wouldn't sign off on a petition to replace Walken, or a petition to Matt Santos for his VP slot.

MR: No, no, of course not.

JT: It's just that --

MR: Well, see, the point is, I authorized the continuation of my campaign website to allow my supporters and donators to air out their grievances with the Santos administration and the current state of the Republican Party. The natural inclination of my supporters was to prop me up as a potential VP candidate to smooth things over with the moderates in power. A great man once said that the real politicians are centrists and I believe in that.

JT: Yes, but now that Walken chose Senator Clark as his running mate, shouldn't you shut down your website?

MR: It's not my decision, John. I receive e-mail after e-mail, letter after letter, every day, telling me, urging me to be their voice in the system. If Walken had picked, say, Michael Jack --

JT: The Governor of Minnesota

MR: Yes, well if President Walken chose Jack, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Republicans like Jack, like Marcus Blakemore or Ray Sullivan or Arnie Vinick or even, god forbid, me, we're centrists. Moderates, John, and that's what this country needs.

JT: From the looks of recent photos, I'm pretty sure Walken doesn't believe in moderation.

[*laughter*]

MR: [*laughs*] Okay, John, I'll give you that one. I won't comment on Glen's dietary predilictions, as I hope he doesn't comment on my chiseled good lucks and Lincolnian oratory skills.

[*laughter*]

MR: President Walken has, in fact, moderated his views over these last few years, and I applaud that. But he needs to take it a step further, and unite the party with the American people and the growing centrist wing. This isn't the time for "gun-totin' redneckin'" talk, it's two thousand-ten.

JT: House Minority Leader Arkin and Senate Leader Royce both have stated that you are just sour for not getting on the ticket, and that you need to unite behind the Walken-Clark ticket. How do you respond to that?

MR: We're sticking on this subject? [*laughs*] At least we're not talking about my dance moves.

[*laughter*]

MR: I am united behind the Walken ticket one hundred-and-ten percent. I have expressed disinterest in the Clark nomination and have forwarded the concerns of me and my supporters to the Walken campaign and the RNC *and* I've expressed interest in doing what I have a right-to-do as a senior member of the Republican Party. Mainly appear at the convention and try to call for a VP ballot. I think Clark is too much of a Neoconservative for this country and that Santos and Tripplehorn and Lyman and Singer and all them --

JT: Nate Singer, the President's Chief of Staff

MR: Yes, Nate. They're all going to unite and easily defeat a Walken-Clark ticket no matter how much "uniting" I do. There's no way around it, but we *need* to stop this *right* *now*. Don't get me wrong, Clark is great.

[*laughter*]

MR: Yeah, but she's great for the Senate. She's carrying on Joe Furman's legacy as the Constant Conservative, and that's lovely and wanted in today's liberalizing society. I was one of President Lassiter's chief speechwriters, and he told me that he was always concerned about those on his left [*gestures to his left*] and those on his right [*gestures to his right*], but mainly that both sides were necessary to keep this nation from tilting into chaos. And to make him, and me, look good. [*laughs*]

[*laughter*]

JT: Okay, I'm told I'm eating up too much time. Mind sticking around, Governor?

MR: Sure.

JT: Coming up, a visit from Harriet Hayes. After these messages.

Wednesday May 12th

Voting under way at Westminister as Taylor fights for Conservative Leadership

Voting started at the House of Commons at Ten this morning in the No Confidence vote against Conservative Leader James Taylor.
We understand to sources within the party that the vote is going to be very, very close.
The result is expected at around Six O'Clock tonight.

Wednesday May 12th

CNN ELECTION RESULT CENTRE

Nebraska Primary
Walken 93.2 % 133,976 33 Dels
Reed 5.3% 7,618 = Write-in
Short 1.5 % 2,158= Write-in
Oregon Primary
Walken 92.7 % 34O,65O 3O Dels
Reed 5.2% 19,1O8 = Write-in
Short 2.1% 7,718=Write-in
RUNNING TOTAL
Walken 11, 833,4OO 1664 Delegates
Sullivan 9,611,354 841 Delegates withdrawn
Alexander 942,056 votes no Dels withdrawn
Fuller 263,147 votes no dels withdrawn
Short 16O,534 no dels=Write-In
Reed 26,726 no dels =Write-In
Haffley 2,977 votes no dels withdrawn
Walken is the Nominee.
genusmap.php

Walken=Blue
Sullivan=Red
THE REMAINING PRIMARY
Tuesday May 25thSouth Dakota 27 Dels

Wednesday May 12th

Taylor at PMQ'S

In what could be his final appearance at PMQ'S as Leader of the Conservatives James Taylor clashed with Prime-Minister John Green over tax, and funding for the Gaza Peacekeeping mission.
As Taylor sat down, Labour MP's waved order papers and shouted out "bye, bye" when he left the chamber.

Wednesday May 12th

Breaking News Breaking News Breaking News

Taylor loses vote of "No Confidence" by three votes 116 to 113

Just minutes ago, Sir George Kelvan, the Chairman of the Conservative 1922 committee announced the result of the vote of "No Confidence" in James Taylor.
"The Conservative Party has No Confidence in the leadership of James Taylor"
YES 116
NO 113
"In accordance with the rules of the party, James Taylor has lost the vote of No Confidence" said Kelvan.
It is believed that Taylor himself will be making a statement within the next few minutes.

Thursday May 13th

So Taylor has gone, now what for the Conservatives

After one of the most dramtic days in recent British political history, the dust is now settling, and one question remains who will now lead the Conservative's into the next General Election which may be only a year away, although it could be as late as June 2O12, although due to Labour's majority of just three, it may not last that long.
Taylor went straight away last night, it is also likely that he could resign as an MP, which would mean a by-election in Windsor.
His withering attack on the Shadow cabinet was very telling "I would like to give thnaks to the Shadow Cabinet, for it's friendship, and loyalty, of course it goes only those who it applies".
David Weller takes over as acting leader as he was the nominial deputy leader under Taylor.
The party board are meeting this afternoon to put in place a timetable for the election. Due to the revised rules put into place by Maureen Graty after the 1996 Leadership campaign, MP's will vote until two names are left which will be subject to a vote of all the party members. Many want a leadership vote of the MP's to take place within in weeks, with others wanting Weller to stay on until after the party Conferenace in Bournemouth.
Weller last night would not be drawn on if he would run for the Leadership himself, although later on today we are expected to here the intentions of Andrew Carter, David Hartley and Francis Green.
Two names to look out for could be Shadow Justice Secretary Fiona Wallace and Shadow Heath Secretary Andrew Masser. Masser is regarded as a rising star within the party, but is only 41, the same age as Taylor, but his well regarded by all wings of the party.
Wallace 48, has made a name for herself in the last year, loyal to Taylor, and did manage to land some big blows on the Labour Government over prisons, and law reform. Although many say that as a women has been leader of the party 29 of the last 35 years, that may be against her.

Last edited:

Thursday May 13th

Taylor to "resign as an MP"

Ousted Conservative Leader James Taylor has announced via a statement "that he has tendered his resignation as an MP", this means that there will be a by-election in his Windsor Seat, a seat he has held since 1996, when he entered the House of Commons aged just 28.
The by-election should be held in June.

Thursday May 13th

Carter "I will seek Conservative Leadership"

Andrew Carter has become the first candidate to declare himself in the Conservative contest, which is likely to become a five or six horse race.

The others believed who will be joining the race are Tom Hartley, the back-bencher who is believed to have been the leading voice against Taylor on the back-benchers, Shadow Home Secretary Francis Green, Shadow Defence Secretary William Morgan, as well as one of the younger moderate's like Fiona Wallace or Andrew Masser. Acting Leader David Weller has yet to make a decision on if to stand or not.

Carter, 53, who was sacked from the Shadow Cabinet Tuesday morning announced his bid infront of the House of Commons backed by a group of supporters.

Two members of the shadow Cabinet Shadow Foreign Secretary Michael Jones and Shadow Secretary of State for Education and Skills Andrew Oborne have both said today that they would not be entering the race, and both called on Acting Leader David Weller to stand.

Thursday May 13th

Francis Green "I will only run if David Weller doesn't"

Shadow Home Secretary Francis Green has announced in the last few minutes, that he would only run for the Conservative Leadership if acting leader David Weller doesn't.

"I will not run against David, we agree on most things, I am not prepared for us to spilt votes, and let someone else win".

Acting Leader Weller is believed to be making his intention know in the next two days.

The only declared candidate so far is Andrew Carter.

Friday May 14th

CNN ELECTION LASTEST POLL STATE BY STATE
genusmap.php

Solid Walken=136
Lean Walken=77
Total Walken=213
Solid Santos=14O
Lean Santos=33
Total Santos=173
Toss Up=152

Friday May 14th
Reed sworn in while Conservatives re-shuffle

Reed and Supporter.png
Mayor Reed and one of his supporters Wednesday

Henry Reed was sworn in as the 3rd Mayor of London Wednesday, replacing outgoing Mayor Sir Gerald Fox. The festivities were kept brief, however, due to the recent uproar surrounding Conservative leadership and the ousting of party leader James Taylor yesterday. Reed is an outspoken supporter of Mr. Taylor and his brand of Progressive Conservatism, which reflects the Compassionate Conservatism that marked Reed's premiership 14 years ago. Despite his political comeback, he seems to find himself on the wrong side of politics once again, a fact pointed out by former London Mayor, and candidate in the latest mayoral election, Ben Stanley on several news programmes.

Reed has remained quiet on the current leadership challenge, only saying that "hopes the next Conservative leader will reflect the party's ideals as they exist today, and not as it has in the past." Reed served as Leader of the Conservative Party from 1993 to 1996 while Prime Minister. Along with Margaret Thatcher, Maureen Graty, and James Taylor, Reed is one of only 4 people living who has held the responsibility of leading the Conservative Party. Unlike those three, however, Reed never served as Leader of the Opposition.

Reed and Supporter.png

Status
Not open for further replies.