2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
foxnews.com, Thursday May 6th, 3.56pm

VP Announcement Imminent

Rumors continue to run wild but Fox News has learned that the announcement of Glen Walken’s choice of VP will come shortly before 5pm via an SMS text message that will come mere seconds before Walken introduces his VP on stage at a rally in Austin, TX.

A number of high profile candidates have ruled themselves out today most notably Minnesota Governor Michael Jack and 2006 Vice Presidential nominee Ray Sullivan.

The general feeling around the Austin area is that the options remaining are former Arizona Governor Evan Drake, Texas Senator Liz Clark and Georgia Governor Charlie Forrester.

politco.com, Thursday May 6th

Mike Day

Posted 4.01pm by michaelday

Well the picture appears to be clearing. John Elderton has just given an interview with local press saying that whilst he was “truly honored” to be considered that he will not be the Vice-Presidential nominee.

Also in one for your “Thanks for that” file, Ohio Congresswoman Ruth Norton-Stewart has just ruled herself out – presumably Elvis will be next!

Mike Day

Posted 4.20pm by michaelday

Just to keep you bang up to date Charlie Forrester has just given an interview to Politico reporter Fiona Fogg confirming that he is not in Texas to accept a spot on Walken’s ticket.

The Scene

Chris Mayor, 4.46pm

It’s clearly Drake or Clark – they are both in Austin. There is a lot of chatter online pointing out that Clark as a Republican Senator from Texas was always like to attend such a high profile rally. Does that suggest that it’s Drake?

Mike Day

Posted 4.53pm by michaelday

Governor Phil Prior is on stage talking up Walken I thought for a second that they had really thrown us a curve ball but I think he’s only doing the introduction. Unless he’s introducing Walken so Walken can introduce him?

politico.com, Thursday May 6th

Mike Day

Posted 4.59pm by michaelday

Walken’s being introduced to the crowd still no text message. He’s started talking – phone’s bleeping – it’s Clark!

Mike Day

Walken’s being introduced to the crowd still no text message. He’s started talking – phone’s bleeping – it’s Clark!

Mike Day

Thursday May 6th

Breaking News Breaking News Breaking News Breaking News

Walken announces his running-mate, it's Texas Senator Liz Clark

In the last few minutes, Glenn Walken has announced his choice for his running-mate, it's Texas Senator Liz Clark.
Clark, who turned fifty just four days ago, was introduced by Walken on stage at a rally in Austin, Texas, just seconds after a text message was sent out to the media and supporters.

More later.....

Last edited:
Senator Elizabeth Clark

(Born May 2nd 1960, Jefferson, TX) An American Politician currently serving as Senator for Texas. She also holds the role of Policy Chair for Senate Republicans, the 4th ranking member of the Republican caucus.

Clark was born in Jefferson, TX to Laura and Robert Clark. Her father, Bob, was an estate agent. When she was 4 years old the family relocated to Jasper, TX. Clark attended Jasper High School, graduating in 1978.

Clark attended the University of Texas at Austin, receiving her J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law in 1984. Following graduation Clark went to work for a local law firm Chalmers & Stock, where she worked for five years before accepting a job as an in-house counsel to Texas Republican Party.

Clark remained with the local party for three years before she stunned everyone by returning to her home town of Jasper to successfully run for Mayor. After four years as a Mayor where she became a fervent supporter of supply side economics she surprisingly resigned her post to accept the position of Chief of Staff to Senator Joseph Furman.

Before relocating to Washington, Clark married her then boyfriend Harry Jackman.

Clark became well known around Washington circles as a deal maker for Furman, who in his later years reportedly became increasingly difficult to deal with. Most famously she is said to have masterminded Furman’s attempts to introduce tort reform in 1999.

Furman recommended Clark to then Senate Committee Chairman Robert Royce in 2002 when the GOP was searching for a candidate to replace disgraced Senator Randolph Whitney who resigned following the Harris Lobbying Scandal. Clark started the primary season as an outside bet behind the favorite Frank Elkland but proved herself to be an impressive campaigner, besting the veteran State House Speaker in all of the televised debates. Three weeks before the primary Elkland withdrew his candidacy having seen a 22 point poll lead disappear and trailing Clark by at least 10 points in most polls.

Clark went on to win the Senate Seat defeating Democratic challenger Marshall Toner 59% to 39% in November 2002. She was re-elected in 2008 defeating Hank Harkin by 62% to 33%.

Currently, Clark serves on the following Senate Committees: Appropriations, Science & Transportation, Rules and Admin, Budget and Energy and Natural Resources. She is well known to be a strong supporter of NASA.

Senator Clark supports the legality of abortion and has stated that “overall, I’m pro-choice” however, she frequently voted to restrict abortion. She scores an 85% rating from the Right to Life committee.

The National Journal ranked Clark as follows in its 2008 rankings, which are based on various key votes relating to economic policy, social policy, and foreign policy: "Economic: 14% Liberal, 86% Conservative; Social: 22% Liberal, 78% Conservative; Foreign: 0% Liberal, 86% Conservative. Seen by many as a strong Conservative Republican she has been a strong critic of President Santos and particularly of his economic plan. She voted against the Armstrong-Adair Economic Stabilization Act saying that it contained far too much wasteful spending. She was one of only 11 Senators to vote against the bill.

In 2008 Clark dismissed rumors that she intended to resign her seat and return to Texas to run for Governor. Shortly after making her statement she endorsed then Congressman Philip Prior.

Clark remains married her husband, Harry Jackman. They have two children, Tom (17) and Rebecca (14). They currently reside near Dallas, TX.
be_nancytravis_240x260_052920080122.jpg

politico.com,
Thursday May 6th

So it's Clark

Glen Allen Walken announced his choice today as his running-mate it's Texas Senator Liz Clark.
She had been one of the clear and obvious choices once Walken won the nomination over two months ago.
Tactically Walken seems ready to take the election battle to the President's home ground. He clearly things that a win in Texas wins the election, it seems he is going for the Texas , New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada stragegy rather than a North-Eastern one, attacking New York, New Jersey where the Polls seem to be heading in Walkens favor.
As for the speech Clark today was very good, clear, funny, and very strong and determind.
One can hardly wait to the vp debate when she goes up aginst Tripplehorn.
So now we know its Santos/Tripplehorn V Walken/Clark V Alexander/Woodside.
Get the popcorn now!!!
image223835g.jpg

Clark in the middle with her husband Harry, and family after her announcement today.

Extract from Liz Clark's speech in Austin, TX

Firstly thank you, President Walken and Mrs. Walken, for selecting me for this tremendous honor. I am honored to be chosen as your running mate. It will be my honor to serve next to the next president of the United States.
There is no doubt that when making this decision you have had a wealth of great men and women, all great patriots and Republicans whom you could have chosen. To all of the other people considered I’d like to say thanks for serving your country.
There are a lot of people I need to thank. I’ve got to start by thanking my husband Harry and our children Tom and Rebecca who are all here today. They are my strength and without them none of this would be possible.
I was born right here in Texas, and I’ve been a Texas girl all my life. All my life I’ve fought to serve the people of this great state, and the people of America.
In 1992, at the age of 32 I gave up a good job to become Mayor of my home town, Jasper. It’s a decision that has shaped my life ever since. During my time as Mayor I saw the good that government could do by freeing up the people to make decisions, to spend their own money and take their local area forward. I learned then and I still believe today that America is the greatest country in the world and its greatness is born through the American people’s ingenuity and imagination.
In the time since I was a Mayor I have held numerous positions in the private and the public sector and obviously for the past eight years I’ve had the honor of serving this great state in the US Senate. During my time in the Senate I have seen clearly the damage caused by 12 years of Democratic Presidents. We now see a broken economy, an immigration system in desperate need of reform, small business mired in red tape, an education system getting worse by the day as the President refused to tackle the teachers unions and two wars where we lacked strategy and direction from day one.
This country needs to change direction, and it needs to do it now. In November you’ll get the chance to vote for a true leader, you can elect Glen Walken as President of the United States.
You’ll hear a lot of people say that its safer in politics to avoid change, to just go along with the status quo. I didn't get into government to do the safe and easy things, I know Glen Walken didn’t. A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why the ship is built. Politics isn't just a game of competing interests and clashing parties. The people of America expect us to seek public office and to serve for the right reasons. And the right reason is to challenge the status quo and to serve the common good.
This is a moment that requires resolve and toughness and decisiveness in the American president. And my running mate is a man who has shown that in testing times he’s made of the right stuff
I will make sure that throughout this campaign the American people see the comparison of strength and leadership against dither and lack of direction. They’ll see a ticket that believes in the American people and wants government out of people’s pockets and one that wants a bigger government to take over healthcare to regulate small businesses to the point of bankruptcy and that will see America lose it’s standing in the world.
This is a moment when great causes can be won and great threats overcome, depending on the judgment of our next president.
I like all of you can’t ignore the historical nature of my presence on this ticket. As the first woman to seek this job I can’t pretend not to be humbled by the responsibility. For anyone who doubts the American dream, for anyone who says that you can’t be everything you strive for because of class, gender or race I say that trust in this country and anything is possible.
So for my part, the road from here is clear. From now until November we must travel to every corner of this country, we will make a compelling case for a change in the White House and we will show the people what can be achieved in this country by freeing the people from government intervention.
My fellow Americans, the stakes could not be higher. I ask you all to join our cause and help our country to elect a great man the next president of the United States, to elect Glen Walken as President of the United States. Thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you.

Chairman Sanchez said:
OOC: The VP seems to be a copy of Sarah Palin. I hope the Media does not butcher Clarks family life like they did Pallins:mad:

Marky Bunny said:
Don't worry Clark WILL BE NOTHING LIKE PALIN!!!!

Dee Chat said:
Nothing wrong with Palin.

Don't fret over it. I think the concern here is not to have a set or obvious character analogue. As far as I can tell, the only similarities between Palin and Clark are age, gender, and Republican VP candidate status.

There are some notable differences. Palin is vehemently pro-life, whereas Clark seems to be nominally pro-choice (with many exceptions). Palin was a sports reporter before entering local politics and rising to Governor of Alaska. Clark was a lawyer who became a Washington insider for many years before becoming a Senator in Texas.

There may be some more spill-over regarding their positions as they are both Conservative Republicans, but their personal and regional backgrounds are so dissimilar that I see very little connection between the two. You could just as well say Clark's an analogue of Geraldine Ferrarro, Blanche Lincoln, Lisa Murkowski, or any number of high-end female politicians in their late 40s.

Friday May 7th
Breaking News Breaking News

London Mayoral race "It looks like Reed"

With counting underway in the London Mayoral race, its look like Conservative Henry Reed is on course to win.
Exit polls show Reed to have around 32% of the vote, Gerald Fox on 27%, and Ben Stanley on 15%.
The result is not expected until around nine this evening.

Friday May 7th
Breaking News Breaking News

Announcement of first preference votes within next hour

Reed believed to be leading after first preference votes

Stanley believed to have held onto third ahead of Jo Blake

More as it comes in....

Ballot boxes at a count centre earlier today.

Friday May 7th

Vice President Tripplehorn welcomes Clark into the race

Vice President Tripplehorn who was Columbus Ohio today, a vital swing state come November that he "welcomed Senator Clark" into the race as Walken's running-mate.
"She is honest, decent hard worker for Texas and the american people in the Senate. Of course we disagree on many issues, but that does not mean I do not like her President personally. I called her last night, to welcome her into the race, and that I am looking foward to our debate in October".

Status
Not open for further replies.