2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am beginning to see that Liz Clark will emerge as a compromise choice and that if chosen, she could have to seriously consider someone no one sees now as a potential running mate, but my guess is that this will be the case and it will be Clark.

BBC.CO.UK/London
Tuesday March 20th 2018

GLA confirms changes to how results of London Mayoral Election will be announced

The Greater London Authority has confirmed today ahead of the Mayoral Election on May 3rd, changes on how the results of the election will be announced.

Since the creation of the position in 1998, results had previously be announced from City Hall, once all the results had been received from the London Borough's, the first preference results where announced, then if required as happened in 1998,2002,2006 & 2010, the second preference votes would then be counted and announced for the top two candidates. Today it was announced that following issues in both 2010 & 2014, each Borough will now announce it's own result of the first preference votes, with the first round result then announced from City Hall. If the second preference votes are required, then each Borough will then count and announce it's own result. The counting and announcement of the results will take place on Friday May 4th, the day after the election to allow for the counting of Borough and GLA results first.

To be fair, Sam's choice to make his announcement in late March probably has more to do with the fact that waiting until closer to the convention will be a wash because we all know that any June or July announcement would be overshadowed by the hour to hour, day to day news coverage of a deadlocked convention for the GOP

To be fair, Sam's choice to make his announcement in late March probably has more to do with the fact that waiting until closer to the convention will be a wash because we all know that any June or July announcement would be overshadowed by the hour to hour, day to day news coverage of a deadlocked convention for the GOP
It is an in-written rule that the opposing party gives the week's news cycle to the party holding the convention, though. It's still smarter to wait until right until the convention. Besides look at Vinick. He introduced Sullivan as VP right before the convention, even though the Democrats had a deadlocked convention on their hands.

Dissension in the GOP ranks is only good for Sam though. The reason the 2006 Democratic convention ended when it did was because Leo and Bartlet wanted to decide on a nominee before the party destroyed itself. The Republicans don't have a "Leo", and if Liz Clark launches a floor campaign, can Walken be counted on to be fair?

Dissension in the GOP ranks is only good for Sam though. The reason the 2006 Democratic convention ended when it did was because Leo and Bartlet wanted to decide on a nominee before the party destroyed itself. The Republicans don't have a "Leo", and if Liz Clark launches a floor campaign, can Walken be counted on to be fair?
Walken is closer to Shallick than Clark

nbs.com, Monday March 19th

NBS Scoops First Seaborn/Hollis Interview

NBS will host a special edition of Capitol Beat on Tuesday night that will play host to the first prime time interview of the newly unveiled Democratic Presidential ticket of California Senator Sam Seaborn and Vice-Presidential nominee, businessman Franklin Hollis.

The interview will be carried out at Seaborn's California campaign headquarters and will be conducted by NBS news anchor Mark Bunn.
Is the interview going to be this Tuesday? I'm really looking forward to it.

Walken is closer to Shallick than Clark

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he supports Shallick, he ruins Clark's future viability and vice-versa, and if he stays out of it, he potentially lets his party fracture itself and he gets slammed for being a poor party leader.

Last edited:
Basically Walken is in the same position that Bartlet was faced with in 2006, but he needs to be a referee and demand that the party resolve it's difficulties. However he doesn't have the benefit of his own Leo McGarry to step in, I guess Henry Shallick is as close as it gets, but Shallick wants the nomination for himself. Walken is in the worst of all world's. He has no option but to wait until Tampa and intervene and have the party rally behind Clark. She represents unity in a weird kind of way.

Basically Walken is in the same position that Bartlet was faced with in 2006, but he needs to be a referee and demand that the party resolve it's difficulties. However he doesn't have the benefit of his own Leo McGarry to step in, I guess Henry Shallick is as close as it gets, but Shallick wants the nomination for himself. Walken is in the worst of all world's. He has no option but to wait until Tampa and intervene and have the party rally behind Clark. She represents unity in a weird kind of way.
Except she really doesn't.

Riley, Hunter or Cassidy are the likely "unity" candidates if it is deadlocked going into Tampa.
Clark is anathema to the Walkenites because it has been fairly obvious that she has been pushed out in favour of Shallick and they aren't about to jump ship. And she's anathema to the extreme Christian right, to Mary Marsh and John Van Dyke because of her son.

She has pretty much no support base

Clark is anathema to the Walkenites because it has been fairly obvious that she has been pushed out in favour of Shallick and they aren't about to jump ship. And she's anathema to the extreme Christian right, to Mary Marsh and John Van Dyke because of her son.

She has pretty much no support base

As VP, Clark still carries some weight with the party. If she doesn't try a floor campaign, what does she get in return for a full endorsement of Shallick? I doubt she wants another 4-8 years of VP.

nbs.com, Tuesday March 27th

Indiana Supreme Court Declares Shallick Winner of Indiana Primary

Four weeks after the Indiana Republican Primary, the contest appears to finally have been settled in the state’s highest court after they declared that no more votes could be counted effectively handing victory to former White House Chief of Staff Henry Shallick.

The argument over the result has been fought out over the last month with Shallick holding a lead of slightly less than 300 votes ahead of the Supreme Court hearing. The case centred around claims by the Gault campaign that a high number of votes that were declared “tainted” should have been included – the votes were from counties that seem favourable to Gault and would likely have put him over the top.

Chief Justice Mary Rolph wrote the majority opinion saying “there is no way to safely ensure chain of custody of these votes; therefore they must be excluded.” The court was split 3-2 in favour of Shallick with the minority opinion written by Justice Thomas Shackle who questioned whether courts should be playing the role of excluding votes.

The news will be a huge relief to the Shallick team, without Indiana there would not have been able to secure enough votes before the convention, the result in the Hoosier State leaves open the door that he can secure sufficient votes to end the race before then.

For their part Governor Gault’s team said they felt the ruling was “largely irrelevant” – it’s clear that the Indiana race has a whole is tainted, we are increasingly clear that the race should be decided at the convention.”

politico.com, Tuesday March 27th

Seaborn & Hollis Promise “A new type of politics”

In their first primetime interview since the shocking announcement that Senator Seaborn had tapped businessman Franklin Hollis to be his running mate the pair promised that they would “work as a team to change America” and promised that they intended to usher in a new era of bi-partisanship.

Mr Hollis was clearly the main source of interest with host Mark Bunn pushing him on how he expects to take to the scrutiny of the campaign trail. Hollis seemed totally at ease pushing back over whether he could play “second fiddle” to Seaborn. “I am fully aware that my job is to support Senator Seaborn and help put him in the White House, I am 100% comfortable that this is the best thing for our country – I’ve met every President since Reagan, and I’m telling you this man here (Seaborn) has everything to be the best of them all.”

Surprisingly Mr Hollis complimented President Walken on his ability to work across the aisle but said he hadn’t gone far enough “I’ve been impressed by the President’s ability to reach out to get things done but I think he needs to do even more of it and that’s what I hope we can do when we reach Washington – I want to work on finding solutions not on party political wranglings.”

Asked whether he felt he had the executive experience to take over the Presidency if Mr Seaborn was unable to carry out the role Mr Hollis was defiant “I have been running businesses since I was 23 years old, Inksoft operates in over 90 countries, has 130,000, 650 offices worldwide – I think it’s fair to say I have a lot of executive experience. I know every major world leader and have advised many of them. I’m not worried about that part of the job.”

Mr Hollis also promised that he “had no intention of being a yes man” and was interrupted by Senator Seaborn who said “I can confirm that Frank wasn’t the number one candidate on the ‘yes man’ list” adding “we want robust debate and as many viewpoints as we can get, I brought this man on board for his point of view and intellect – we want as much debate as possible to find the best answers.”

All in all the Seaborn campaign will be pleased how the interview played out, their candidate and Mr Hollis have good chemistry and done a good job of playing up the idea that their Vice-President would be an outsider who would challenge the California Senator and would represent a “new type of politics”.

politico.com, Tuesday March 27th

Hollis Confirms Tax Release

As part of his first primetime interview tonight, Democratic Vice-Presidential nominee Franklin Hollis confirmed that he will release "the full spectrum" of his tax returns adding that "there are absolutely no skeletons and nothing controversial in there".

There had been growing questions over the weekend of whether the billionaire entrepreneur would open up his personal finances to the kind of scrutiny that his running mate has been calling for on the campaign trail throughout his run for the Presidency using it as a stick to beat his primary opponent Senator Andrew Thorn.

The Seaborn campaign confirmed they expected the information to be made available shortly.

As VP, Clark still carries some weight with the party. If she doesn't try a floor campaign, what does she get in return for a full endorsement of Shallick? I doubt she wants another 4-8 years of VP.
She goes down in history as VP. The VP only carries as much weight as they can create. Remember the Vice Presidency isn't worth a warm bucket of spit.

Status
Not open for further replies.