2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC.CO.UK/News

Wednesday June 15th 2011

Candidates clash Live on Newsnight in Labour leadership debate

The five candidates for the Leadership of the labour Party clashed last night on Newsnight during a live TV debate.

It was a bad tempered affair at times, with no clear winners, although a BBC on-line poll afterwards suggested the winner to be Ed Miller.

The five candidates, four men (Malcolm Cutter, Gerald Fox, Ed Miller and Peter Kennedy) and one women (Martina Gregory) debated a wide range of issues from why Labour lost the General Election two months ago.

One of the lively parts of the debate came when Ed Miller who had resigned from the Cabinet just before the election over "smeargate" was aasked why Labour had lost he replied pointing at Acting Leader andf the man that ran the Labour election campaign Peter Kennedy "Him. It was a discragefull campaign both before and during the campaign. We where negative, we did not give the people a reason to re-elect us, just not elect the Conseravtives. People don't want smear they want to hear sensible debate".

Former Mayor of London Gerald Fox was given a hard time by the moderator Jeremy Paxman over his defeat in last years Mayoral Election and his age "Jeremy I have proved time and time again I have the proven experience the party and the country needs, and my age is frankly not important. I would not have decided to run and try and serve my country if I wasn't fit and ready".

Malcolm Cutter the former Foreign and Defence Secretary and who leads most polls also played the experience card "I have the proven record in dealing with crises and have the ability to unite the party and take it back to government".

Martina Gregory got a laugh when she was asked why Labour lost the General Election she said "I think Andrew Carter and the Tories had something to do with it". She went on saying that Labour had underestimated Andrew Carter from the time had became Conservative leader last summer. She also said that the Party needed a "fresh face and new ideas".

Last edited:
Conservative Home.com

Wednesday June 15th 2011

A Tory view of the First Labour leadership debate

As a Tory I thought it would be fun to give my impressions of the last debate for the Labour leadership last night.

We have gone through two leadership elections in the last four years so it was fun in a goulish way to watch Labour at it for the first time in almost 20 years. Yes that's right the party of Democracy, and the people it is their first real leadership contest since Ricky Meyer won back in 1992. John Green had no opponents when he replaced Meyer in 2004 thanks to his deal with Gerald Fox.

So in some ways it was funny to watch Fox as one of the candidates last night. From the candiadtes last night, only two in my opinion stand any real chance of winning but more importantly looked they could be a future Prime-Minister, they where Malcolm Cutter and Ed Miller. Gerald Fox was given the hardest time of any of the candiadtes by Paxman, his age, his record in the Cabinet under Meyer and as Mayor of London, but to be fair he did well from the old bruiser that he is. Then there was Peter Kennedy, the one and only former Deputy-Prime Minister and acting leader. In normal circumstances he should be the clear favourite but his handling of the Labour campaign and his alleged involvemnet in "smeargate" has not helped his chances. There is clear bad blood between him and Ed Miller, hence why Miller refused to return to the Shadow Cabinet after the election.

Now I like Miller, he was a decent Transport Secretary, happy to work with all sides of the House, and is frankly a "human being" he talks the same langauage of the guy in the pub. Miller would be their best choice but one feels there is just to much bad blood for him to win.

If one was to ask me after last night, I think Cutter will win it. He was a decent if not brilliant Foreign Secretary and before that Defence Secretary. He is quick witted, and is a good performer in the House, but is of course know for his famous temper.

I almost forgot Martina Gregory, I think she only gained enough nominations just so Labour could say a women was running she was frankly as she was as Housing Minister a bit of a joke.

Last edited:
USPL.png

I am, as my fourth-grade teacher used to tell me, very special, so I can follow this chart very easily. But in case you can't, the eleven lists broken down are:
  • President of the Senate (Vice President) - Bush, Pierce, Eisenhower, Hoynes, Russell, Baker, Tripplehorn, Clark
  • President pro tempore - Calhoun, Glomer, Little, Gianelli, Furman, Miner
  • Senate Democratic Leader - Milton, Berelli, Hoynes, Tripplehorn, Grissom, Breech
  • Senate Majority Leader - Furman, Berelli, Hoynes, Dern, Moseley, Royce
  • Senate Minority Leader - Milton, Miner, Dern, Tripplehorn, Grissom, Breech
  • Senate Republican Leader - Furman, Miner, Dern, Moseley, Royce
  • Speaker of the House - Cor, Hohner, Walken, Haffley, Sellner, Gelsey
  • House Democratic Leader - Sanderson, Sellner, Cor, Fields, Sellner, Headley, Richardson
  • House Majority Leader - Sanderson, Sellner, Ross, Headley, Richardson
  • House Minority Leader - Swayze, Webb (acting), Hohner, Cor, Fields, Sellner, Haffley, Arkin
  • House Republican Leader - Swayze, Webb (acting), Hohner, Ross, Haffley, Arkin

With the exception of one name, everyone on these lists has been mentioned in the thread before:
  • Bill Glomer retired in 1996. Lorraine Lindsay ran for his seat.
  • Patrick Little's death in 1996 prompted former Governor Joseph McKenna to be appointed to his seat.
  • Walter Milton's death, also in 1996, prompted former State Senator Stephen Wilson to be appointed. I assume he was outmaneuvered to Senate Majority Leader by Berelli.
  • Tony Berelli was a scandal-ridden corrupt politician who later resigned in disgrace (John Huntingdon replaced him). Of course, when this first began getting leaked, the Democrats quickly removed Berelli and freshman Senator John Hoynes ascended to power under a banner of 'cleaning from within.' Berelli was censured but would resign two years later when the worse news began coming forward (and that may have helped cost the Democrats the House).
  • Earl Dern's resignation in 2003 prompted Jeff Heston to appoint himself for some reason. He had stood down from leadership due to growing Alzheimer's disease. Dern is Bruce Weitz's unnamed leader in early West Wing Season 1 before the Alzheimer's really began set in.
  • Jack Moseley resigned from the Majority Leader position after a series of disastrous television appearances on Politically Incorrect painted him in a negative light.
  • Kim Sanderson was a co-founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. She resigned as leader following the disastrous '94 elections which nearly cost the Democrats the House.
  • Sheila A. Fields is *not* the same Sheila Fields who is currently a Congresswoman from Wisconsin. This is due to a mistake by KMan -- I mean, Sheila A. was seen as the Minority Leader twice on the show, although the second time it was more as Minority Leader emeritus She lost her seat, which was always a tough fight, to real estate mogul Bill Jones.
  • Ronald Swayze's death vacated the seat later won by (then-)Democrat Franklin Woodside.
  • Chuck Webb would be instrumental towards the House takeover in 1996, but he was better as a whip and stood down from contention in the 1994 Speaker's race.

USPL.png

BBC.CO.UK/News

Thursday June 16th 2011

First poll for Liberal Democrat Leadership race

A first poll of the leadership race to be the next leader of the Liberal Democrats has be released today.

1. Emma Dean 38%
  2. Robert Richardson 34%
  3. David Salter 28%

Go Emma Dean!

Speaking of which, I hope this makes sense:
UKPL.png

Richard Corbett often goes by his middle name David (not so much anymore).

I made up the constituency for "Lorne" Schofield and his first name. He was only known as "Lord Schofield" in the thread.

searching... andrew carter john green maureen graty ricky meyer henry reed margaret thatcher david weller james taylor peter kennedy neil kinnock emma dean richard corbett lorne schofield 1979 1990 1993 1995 1996 2000 2004 2007 2010 2011

UKPL.png

Last edited:
sanfranciscochronicle.com, Saturday, June 18th, 2011.

Senator Kershaw Gives Birth to Son; Resting Comfortably.

It's a boy for Nicole Kershaw and her husband Alex, as the California Senator's office announced that she gave birth at 2:01 this morning to a son, Lucas Gold Kershaw.

This is the first child for Senator Kershaw and her husband, who is a political science professor at the University of San Francisco, and currently works as a visiting scholar at several DC universities. The Senator was pregnant when she was appointed to fulfill the term of Mark Kerrison, though she did say that the pregnancy "would not interfere with her duties as Senator," when she made the news public.

It is unknown how long the Senator will be out of the office with her new son, though it is to be expected to be at least two weeks. As a practical matter, this temporarily leaves the Democratic Caucus with only 40 members, as the continuing absence of Senator Sam Whiteside reduces the numbers of Democratic Senators.

Last edited:
ooc: psst! I think you mean 40.

politico.com

Could the right democrat break through in Texas?

Since 2006 when liberal congressman Matt Santos won the Presidency along with his homestate of Texas in the electoral college, national democrats have long been searching for that perfect candidate to win statewide office. In 2006, along with sending Santos the state's 34 electoral votes, it elected a democratic attorney general for the first time since the late 80s, Lewis Clement. He won by the same percentage as Santos that year, but last year in his reelection bid, he won - substantially - despite Glen Allan Walken winning the state this time around.

Clement is someone that party elders have long been keeping an eye on, and his win last year, by 6 points no less, has many seeing him with great potential. There have been rumors that he'll make a bid for the governor's mansion next year, fueled by his vigorous fundraising efforts despite not running again for his current office until 2014. But it appears that he's been waiting to see the moves that incumbent Phil Prior will make. Prior seems to be content in remaining in the governor's office. Word is sneaking out of the statehouse in Austin that he's really enjoying being the center of attention, something that would not be in the senate. DGA chairman Kevin Clarkson visited Austin to speak with Clement, only assuring everyone that democrats want him to run.

However, Texas also has both of it's senate seats up for grabs. DSCC chairman Andrew Thorn has been profiling many democrats in congress, and there appears to be a few that are sticking out quite a bit. Congressman Francis Suarez, the newly minted chairman of the democratic blue dog coalition is a frequent name. Many democrats note that the likely nominees for such positions must be very moderate, if not conservative in some aspects. The rising star on the scene is state senator Antonio Cruz, who has become the face of populist-wing of the democratic party. He's led the texas state senate democrats in the fight against Phil Prior's deep, deep spending cuts, and he moved to the front of the line in people democrats could run.

"You know, I don't like to comment to much on electoral issues this far out, but I can say that the democratic candidates in Texas are going to need to be independent of the national party and their goals. And democrats must utilize the hispanic vote to the maximum," senate minority leader Arthur Breech said in an interview. Reports would show that to be true. Both Clement and Cruz are very socially conservative, while fiscally moderate/populist. Suarez, as the leading blue dog, is a general conservative texas democrat, but is heavily in favor of immigration reform. With a premium lineup of democrats, 2012 could be the year the state finally turns purple once more.

rollcall.com

Budget committee in a hold up

As the gang of eight goes into its deep long, political covered debate, the house budget committee hit a significant snag. While the house planned to form its own plan for a 2012 budget with the gang of eight to get a senate bill in order, ranking republican Travis Hoyt (R-PA) has been working closely with chairwoman Caroline Martin on a deal for significant deficit reduction. While the two principally agreed on strong cuts into medicare's waste and fraud areas, and some - but not nearly all - benefits, as to keep the program solvent in the future. A real bipartisan step toward reforming medicare was getting lauded up by the press.

However, today Hoyt did two things. He announced that the republican members would absolutely refuse any sort of tax increases, however did support closing corporate tax loopholes. Then, he announced a plan that would essentially, without any sort of restructurement, completely cut medicaid out of the federal budget. Not even going as far as block grants to states, which is what many republicans are proposing, but rather taking the program completely out of the amount of money the country spends. In the name of fiscal austerity, Travis Hoyt proposed to take 1/4 of the nation's population health insurance away.

Hoyt proposal, Republicans say, is just a starting place in which to begin negotiations on reforming medicaid. Caroline Martin, and her deputy Eve Howard, however are not seen to be willing to give in on either no tax increases, and dismantling medicaid. "I sometimes wonder why Travis Hoyt is chairman of the budget committee, his plan would in the end causing the US government to go into more debt as heath care costs will continue to sky rocket and through emergency care will pay far more than the plan can save." Martin and Howard have proposed very mild increase in the cap gains tax code, along with a small jobs bill initiative in order to push down the unemployment rate.

List of Sunday Talk Shows and Guests:

Meet the Press, NBC: Senator Sam Seaborn (D-California) and Senator Tom Landis (R-Delaware).

Face the Nation, CBS: Congressman Nathan Petrelli (D-New York 14th), Congressman Chris Hughes (R-Utah 2nd) and Secretary of Commerce Andrew Jenkinson.

This Week, ABC: Senator Robert Starkey (D-Montana) and Congresswoman Callie Durling (R-Illinois 11th).

FOX News Sunday: Congresswoman Janine Miller (R-Minnesota 6th), Congressman Bo Deal (R-Georgia 8th) and Senator Jeff Heston (R-Utah).

State of the Union, CNN: DNC Chairman Josh Lyman, Youth in Revolt National Chief Strategist Liam Dickson, RNC Chairman Mack McKinlay, ACA Political Director George Rohr.

Weekend Edition, MSNBC: Congressman Diego Chavez (D-Texas 25th), Former Santos White House Deputy Chief of Staff Angela Blake, Senator Ryan Lyndell (D-Massachusetts) and Former Senator Brett Harrison (D-West Virginia).

Capitol Talk, NBS: Congressmen Alan Trent (D-Massachusetts 8th) and Samuel Fellows (R-Arizona 6th), Chairman and Ranking Member of the House Permanent Select Intelligence Committee; Director of National Security Jeremy Falco; Former National Security Advisor and UN Ambassador Nancy McNally.

JoeMulk

Banned
3140626.jpg

A young Josiah Bartlett during a televised debate on local New Hampshire TV during his first run for congress in 1980.

Last edited:
Happy Father's Day, Alex Kershaw.

Bartlet's first successful run for the US House was in 1980, not 1978. In 1978, he was still a Dartmouth Professor and a New Hampshire State Congressman. Bartlet also never lost an election, so he's only ever had successful campaigns.

And, btw, here's something for those guys to talk about:

cnn.com
Frank Whiteside: 'My brother will not be returning to the Senate.'
Saturday, June 18, 2011

In a surprise event, late Saturday evening, Frank Whiteside told reporters outside of Bethesda Hospital that his brother, Sam Whiteside, could no longer act as a United States Senator for Maryland. Sam's wife, Celeste, was at the press gaggle, but did not offer any comment.

Frank confirmed media speculation that his brother had been suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or "Lou Gehrig's disease") which severely debilitated him when he suffered from a bout of pneumonia beginning late last year. He slipped into a coma early Saturday afternoon. Medical experts have stated that he is unlikely to reawaken.

Fellow Senator Dan Kalmbach's office released a statement that he was "absolutely heartbroken" at the news. Maryland Governor Joe Derrick is expected to give a statement tomorrow morning, during a planned press op celebrating Father's Day.

According to Frank, Senator Whiteside had a living will which confirmed that if he slipped into a permanent coma, it would be the equivalent of resigning his Senate seat. Derrick had met with Whiteside and February and it's speculated they have discussed this eventuality. Whiteside has not been to DC since early January.

It is currently not known what will happen to Senator Whiteside's seat. If the Republican-controlled Senate accepts the resignation, then Derrick, a Democratic Governor, will appoint a new Senator. This will, in effect, add one vote for the Democrats to the Senate, as Whiteside had never voted in the 112th Congress.

But, according to Maryland law, a special election will soon be called, to be held within a year of the resignation date. This could, in effect, gain a Republican seat. Whiteside was up for election in 2012, although someone else will be running now. The Republicans, fresh off their 2010 victories (including a hard-fought reelection for Senator Kalmbach) may want to try their chances at an earlier Republican Senator, especially if Derrick calls for an election to be held before June 2012.

There is certainly going to be a lot of speculation in the coming days.

beau-bridges-max-payne.jpg

Senator Whiteside, c. 2005, still in good health.

kansascitystar.com, Sunday, June 19th.

President Walken To Throw Out First Pitch at Cards-Royals Game.

President GlenAllen Walken will throw out the first pitch of the final game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Kansas City Royals today at 1:15 PM.

Walken is from Liberty, Missouri, and says that he rooted for the Royals growing up, though he will stay neutral in this contest.

The President last threw out the first pitch for the Washington Nationals as they faced the Atlant Braves on Opening Day.

In fact, to reiterate what was suggested during the Franz Duke/Ken Campbell confusion:
Quiet Snip.png

(note: Bartlet's first term is entirely based on Ellie's age of four or five [so... 1981 or 1982, per Ellie's age of 24 during the episode Ellie], during his first term, when she decided to go play around with East German and West German guards, per The Wedding.)

Quiet Snip.png

Baltimore Sun
Derrick Accepts Whiteside 'Living Will' Resignation; Announces Senator-designate for Maryland
Sunday, June 19, 2011

BALTIMORE, MD - Governor Joe Derrick, in a press conference this morning, commemorated the man he has worked with in some capacity for the last thirty years, Senator Sam Whiteside. Derrick was once Chief of Staff to Senator Whiteside in the late '80s and a campaign manager on many of Whiteside's early campaigns.

Derrick publicly accepted the notarized living will document presented to him by Frank Whiteside at the ceremony that contained Sam Whiteside's official resignation. Derrick also wished Whiteside a recovery and hoped to appoint him to the Senate again 'soon,' although doctors at Bethesda Hospital have stated it is unlikely Whiteside will ever reawaken.

Derrick and Frank Whiteside surprisingly introduced Derrick's pick for Senator-designate, Barry Goodwin. Goodwin, 70, is a major figure within the Democratic Party. Perhaps most famous nationally for being the Vice Presidential candidate to Roland Pierce in 1994, Goodwin has served as Governor of Maryland, Congressman from Maryland's 8th District, and Chairman of the Democratic National Committee. He has been in retirement since his last position as head of the Santos presidential transition team in 2006. Goodwin gave a twenty minute speech praising Whiteside, but not really referencing his Senate plans nor taking any questions.

Senate Majority Leader Robert Royce was reached later in the morning, where he confirmed that he will have his people 'look into' the resignation before any 'rash decisions' are made. US Solicitor General Harlan Marshall told Fox News: "Since the living will document is fully notarized, I see no way the Senate can deny Goodwin's credentials. Maybe in court, they could find a doctor to say Sam ain't in a permanent coma, but that seems like a low blow. Even to me."

Goodwin is expected to present his credentials as early as next Monday (June 27), pending acceptance of the resignation by Senate President pro tem Robert Miner.

List of Sunday Talk Shows and Guests:

Meet the Press, NBC: Senator Sam Seaborn (D-California) and Senator Tom Landis (R-Delaware).

Face the Nation, CBS: Congressman Nathan Petrelli (D-New York 14th), Congressman Chris Hughes (R-Utah 2nd) and Secretary of Commerce Andrew Jenkinson.

This Week, ABC: Senator Robert Starkey (D-Montana) and Congresswoman Callie Durling (R-Illinois 11th).

FOX News Sunday: Congresswoman Janine Miller (R-Minnesota 6th), Congressman Bo Deal (R-Georgia 8th) and Senator Jeff Heston (R-Utah).

State of the Union, CNN: DNC Chairman Josh Lyman, Youth in Revolt National Chief Strategist Liam Dickson, RNC Chairman Mack McKinlay, ACA Political Director George Rohr.

Weekend Edition, MSNBC: Congressman Diego Chavez (D-Texas 25th), Former Santos White House Deputy Chief of Staff Angela Blake, Senator Ryan Lyndell (D-Massachusetts) and Former Senator Brett Harrison (D-West Virginia).

Capitol Talk, NBS: Congressmen Alan Trent (D-Massachusetts 8th) and Samuel Fellows (R-Arizona 6th), Chairman and Ranking Member of the House Permanent Select Intelligence Committee; Director of National Security Jeremy Falco; Former National Security Advisor and UN Ambassador Nancy McNally.

Do I see a few Jack Ryan characters in there?

Do I see a few Jack Ryan characters in there?

Yep, Trent and Fellows. Sometimes it's just easier to add characters who already there. There are a few other crossovers throughout the thread: MacKenzie Allen and Nathan Templeton from Commander-In-Chief, Nathan Petrelli (The non-evil, real one) from Heroes, probably one or two others I'm missing. They tend not to play major roles though.

Prime-Minister Ricky Meyer on the campaign trail during the 2004 General Election
article-1359589-0D50333A000005DC-166_224x423.jpg

Ricky Meyer as Prime-Minister during the Bosnia crises in 1999
timothy_dalton_in_the_tourist_9.png

Last edited:
The former IRA Terriost Brendan McGann who was banned from the Bartlet White-House in 2002. He was a key member of the IRA negioating team for the Good Friday agreement signed in 1998. He later became MP for Belfast East and also Deputy First Minister in the new Northern Ireland Assembly. In 2011 he was elected to the Republic of Ireland Parliament. McGann is shown here on a book tour in Boston a few days ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.