2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
washingtonpost.com, Thursday, June 9th, 2011.

Campaign Finance Passes Committee, To Be Sent to President's Desk for Signature This Evening.

The Campaign Finance and Congressional Ethics Reform Enforcement Act has been passed by both the House and Senate, and will be sent to President Walken for signature this evening. According to Press Secretary Bill Bradley, the President will sign the bill later tonight.

OOC: I know this is a little late but...I was reading the "election night" covereage and I noticed that they were calling Glen Allen Walken "President" Walken on the night of the election...Why is this?

OOC: I know this is a little late but...I was reading the "election night" covereage and I noticed that they were calling Glen Allen Walken "President" Walken on the night of the election...Why is this?

Walken was Acting President for three days, giving him the right to be given the title, usually prefaced with "Acting," by most of the media. His staff has always referred to him as President Walken, probably to establish legitimacy.

He was a former Acting President, during the Zoey Bartlet kidnapping crisis (Season 4 to 5 cliffhanger). The rule of thumb usually used was that left-leaning sources referred to him as "Acting President Walken" while right-leaning sources referred to him as "President Walken" or "former President Walken."

It's a gray area in our timeline as well as theirs as to how to properly refer to Walken, a (then) current Congressman who was a former Speaker who briefly served as (Acting) President of the United States.

I hit a snag when writing this, and now I'm off to bed (long day tomorrow). I'll finish this up tomorrow evening/Saturday morning (if you check my posting data, evenings and mornings tend to run together).

attachment.php

535.com
Special: Freshmen Freshmen
June 8, 2011

On January 3, 2011, (actually January 5th, but the 3rd is the legal date), we seated the largest class in United States Congressional history. 17 new Senators and 106 new Representatives. And that wasn't enough. Every month since then, there has been constant seat changes. Since January 11th, we've had six new Senators and seven new Representatives.

We decided to profile these sudden, unexpected, "freshmen freshmen," with the help of former Congressoman Charlene Andrews.

----

Thank you, Walt. As many of you are aware, I lost my seat to John Collington last year. I was actually interviewed for 535.com from the RNC last July. I'm 63 now, so I think my career in elected office is over, although I have since been employed at a lovely law firm and do wish to reenter the legal profession for a few years at least.

The situation with the early '11 turnover is of course tied into President Walken's insistence on hiring friends and cronies from his days in the House. I wouldn't accuse him of holding a "kitchen cabinet" or anything, but several of his closest advisors served alongside him in the House.

Let me deal with this, state-by-state:
Idaho
carrickdimeo.png

Seat: Senate Seat, Class II
Dates of vacancy: January 17, 2011 (immediate changeover)
Outgoing Senator: Chris Carrick (R), 1991 to 2003; 2004 to 2011
Incoming Senator: Gina DiMeo (R)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Carrick as Secretary of the Interior

Chris's removal might've been strategy by the Walken campaign, or a general gift to Chris for helping him out during the Presidential campaign, and, according to rumors, turning down an offer by Alexander to run as his VP.

I've known Chris for going on fifteen years now, back when he was a senior, hawkish member of the DLC. But his age, and a relatively close race in 2006, have led many to believe that Chris Carrick might not win a 2012 race against any strong Idaho Democrat. He's not exactly an RNC favorite, even today.

Gina DiMeo, well I don't know much about her. A young deal-maker from the State Senate sounds like a good person to have as Idaho's first female Senator. Although it's said she was a challenge to David Arkin's governorship, so her appointment seems to be as much about strategy as Carrick's.

Illinois
bryceenlow.png

Seat: Senate Seat, Class II
Dates of vacancy: January 5-11, 2011
Outgoing Senator: Jack Enlow (D), 1997 to 2011
Incoming Senator: Mitch Bryce (D)
Reason for seat change: Resignation by Enlow

This one is *not* affected by politics. More by Jack Enlow's personal life. A shame, since I always thought Enlow was one of our better Senators. Sure he could be a bit crude at times, but he always got the job done and was a due-diligent worker (at least, in Washington).

But, the powers-that-be have since decided that Enlow was "always" a bad Senator and deserving of replacement. I think Enlow's fast resignation and admittance of his mistakes is enough to prove that he should remain in the political sphere. Sadly, that is unlikely to ever happen again.

But we couldn't have found a better replacement in Mitch Bryce. Bryce is *the* best economic mind in the Democratic Party and the United States and probably overqualified for the Senate. While he never held elective office before, he is a multiple Cabinet post who has advised every President since Newman.

irvingvacant.png

Seat: 10th Congressional District
Dates of vacancy: May 27, 2011-Present
Outgoing Congressman: Jasper Irving (R), 2009 to 2011
Incoming Congressman: Currently Vacant
Reason for seat change: Resignation of Irving to run for Senate

Jasper Irving has resigned. Yes, you heard me. The prodigal son of the young conservative movement (well, one of them), surprisingly elected in a moderate district, has resigned his seat to run for Senate.

What was he thinking?! I know a man named John Hoynes who ran for Senate without having to resign from anything. Or Arnie Vinick or Robert Ritchie if you want to go in that direction. Irving wowed conservatives in 2010 with his nonfiction book Crisis Point and used that, with good politicking, to gain reelection to a seat that he would never have won again.

Now he's going to waste all that by running for Senate in a moderate state that hasn't elected a Republican to the Senate since 1990. Statements that Irving is a moderate are blatantly false if you've ever read a single paragraph of his book.

It just boggles the mind why Irving wasted Illinois taxpayer money to run for Senate in a "swing state" that's voted Democratic in every presidential election since 1998. I guess he's going to need his new free time to devote to winning at least a single vote in the upcoming election. Especially when Bryce or whoever starts hitting him with all of his own talking points from Crisis Point.

shankstroughton.png

Seat: 19th Congressional District
Dates of vacancy: January 20-April 5, 2011
Outgoing Congressman: Larry Shanks (R), 2001 to 2011
Incoming Congressman: Marvin Troughton (R)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Shanks as Secretary of Agriculture

No strategy here. Shanks, both in the Illinois and US House, has been itching to reform and manage Agriculture since the '60s. Walken, and well anyone in the House or following politics closely, understands how dear the issue is to Shanks and may have recalled his work with the Ritchie campaign where his name was leaked among the likely candidates for Agriculture.

His successor though, this Troughton guy... I don't know about him. He's had a few antics that have been ridiculed in the press, and was a member of the Constitution Party until about 2002. He doesn't seem to have change his politics any and he full-on ridiculed his predecessor last week on Bill Maher. I doubt he'll get renominated by his own party.

Louisiana
villegasrand.png

Seat: Senate Seat, Class III
Dates of vacancy: January 20-February 4 , 2011
Outgoing Senator: Will Villegas (D), 1999 to 2011
Incoming Senator: Judi Rand (I)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Villegas as United Nations Ambassador

The conventional wisdom is that Governor-elect Quigley wanted a conservative to fill his old seat instead of Villegas. Yet, the 2010 elections didn't go as planned and Villegas managed to eke out a win against (now former) Congressman Ronnie Bauer. So, Quigley won, Walken won, and Bauer lost.

But Villegas is a Blue Dog, and a compromise was reached, at least according to my view of the situation. Villegas took on a top role as UN Ambassador, giving Walken a view of "bipartisanship," even though the UN Ambassador has had a smaller role in the Walken administration. Quigley gets to appoint who he wants, and Villegas gets a promotion and out of seat that would be next-to-impossible to win in six years.

Of course others saw this as well, and Quigley sure wasn't going to appoint Bauer. The left wants a Democrat, the right says a moderate Republican should be good enough, and Villegas (and Walken) isn't saying anything. So Quigley, being the politician he is, finds a non-partisan woman to satisfy everyone's tastes.

And that's who we have now. She, of course, promptly joined the Republican caucus, probably at the behest of Senate Republicans, but she maintains her "independent" label for a reason only Rand herself knows.

And it fits her. Bauer seems poised to run, and probably win in the special. Rand would have to choose a party and run for election for the first time in her life if she wants to. But nothing seems to indicate that she does.

Missouri
foxhenderson.png

Seat: Senate Seat, Class I
Dates of vacancy: January 13-February 4, 2011
Outgoing Senator: Ron Fox (R), 2001 to 2011
Incoming Senator: Lewis Henderson (R)
Reason for seat change: Resignation by Fox

A private man who wanted power. That's how people I know described Ron Fox. I barely knew the guy, me being a Democratic congresswoman and him a Republican senator. But the same could be said about many Republican senators and their knowledge of Ron Fox. He had a very high voting record, going into the office early and leaving late, and never moved his family to Washington.

But his privacy concerns conflicted with his duties as Missouri's sole Republican senator (until those last few days). I can only imagine the strain of having to appear at every major Missouri GOP event, within reason. And I wonder if it broke, when after ten years of hard work, and a sympathetic Missouri Republican in the White House, he didn't get the "promotion" he deserved.

This, whether correct or not, is how I see Senator Fox's surprise resignation. Something that was coming for a long, long time, but was unexpected only because no one talked to Fox about it.

Henderson, oddly, seems to be following Fox's role as a quiet, due-diligent conservative, at least from what I can tell looking at his vote record. Only time, probably about ten years again, can tell if he self-destructs as well.

owenstempleton.png

Seat: 7th Congressional District
Dates of vacancy: January 20-April 25 , 2011
Outgoing Congressman: David Owens (R), 2005 to 2011
Incoming Congresswoman: Patricia Templeton (R)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Owens as White House Political Director

David Owens is, of course, a close friend of the Shallicks, who run Missouri, and as such has a bright political future. He didn't get his chance at Senate and somehow finagled his way to a lofty White House post, perhaps wanting to get Cabinet position or Chief of Staff in a second Walken term.

His replacement, contrary to some mean rumors out there, is *not* related to that nutjob from South Carolina. She's actually the widow of former Missouri Governor Kelso Templeton, and is probably going to be a caretaker Congresswoman until the GOP get a good candidate for 2012.

Nebraska
newburydaniel.png

Seat: Senate Seat, Class I
Dates of vacancy: January 13, 2011 (immediate changeover)
Outgoing Senator: Sarah Newbury (R), 1995 to 2011
Incoming Senator: Bill Daniel (R)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Newbury as Secretary of Health and Human Services

Sarah Newbury is the female equivalent of Bill Daniel, so I think it's safe to talk about both of them at the same time, despite the editor's intention. Both were two-term Governors before entering the Senate. Both have similar views. Daniel was a serious contender for the Presidency in 2002, before dropping out to endorse Ritchie. Newbury was a serious contender for the Vice Presidency in 2010, before Liz Clark was decided upon.

Nebraska Governor John Moore ignored a public "vetting process" and just up and appointed his political mentor, Daniel. Is Daniel attempting a comeback? Perhaps to try another run at the nomination in 2018? Only time can tell. He'll make a good Secretary of Health and Human Services in 2023.

New York
calhounmunson.png

Dates of vacancy: January 20-April 25, 2011
Outgoing Congresswoman: Jane Calhoun (D), 1989 to 2011
Incoming Congressman: Wire Munson (D)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Calhoun as Ambassador to Ireland

While Will Villegas can be somewhat understood, Calhoun's resignation to take a job offered by Walken was a little more odd. But the Ambassadorship to Ireland is something Calhoun relishes, and is a good position after her 22 years in Congress. She has a good reputation in Ireland, with her involvement as unofficial congressional liaison to Ireland ever since the Lassiter administration. President Reynolds is known to personally hold her in great esteem.

Although, it may connected to Walken's great friendship with Calhoun's cousin Patricia Calhoun, his economic advisor. But she deserves it nonetheless.

Wire Munson was a surprise choice by the New York Democrats. He wasn't even legal until April 8th, when he turned 25. He's the Baby of the House, and the youngest Congressman since 1932. His parents are heavyweights on the New York scene, although I've heard of them in fundraising scenarios, and they were more towards helping the 'liberal' Democrats over moderates and realists like myself. Munson is a perfect storm for the Youth in Revolt, because of his age, liberalness, and location in Andrew Thorn's state. Yet, they, like the rest of New York, hadn't even heard of him until he started campaigning out of the blue in February. I expect a long career from Mr. Munson.

dadedade.png

Seat: 23rd Congressional District
Dates of vacancy: January 20-April 25, 2011
Outgoing Congressman: Patrick Dade (R), 2001 to 2011
Incoming Congresswoman: Dalisay Dade (D)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Patrick Dade as Secretary of the Army

Patrick Dade finally got some recognition and is now Secretary of the Army. Good for him. He'll make a fine sub-Cabinet secretary.

The New York GOP, on the other hand, aren't doing so well. Surprisingly, for upstate New York, they were unable to find a good enough Republican candidate to run in the special against Democratic state legislator Mike Kramden. So they chose the "Joe Willis" way out, and just picked Patrick's wife.

The list of problems with Dalisay Dade are many:
  • She's not a natural-born citizen. She emigrated in 1999 and became a full citizen in 2003. She barely fit the *citizenship* requirements for House membership.
  • Their is questions about her deceased brother's involvement in the underground Filipino guerrilla movement. Some say he was just a footsoldier, others say he was one of the chief architects. Kramden chose the latter when he aired attack ads in March and April, although he still lost.
  • Her knowledge of national or international facts is not pretty. She's shy in interviews, and when she does answer, she's often wrong or vague enough that you know she doesn't understand. At least she admits when she's wrong.

I don't see Dalisay running in 2012, and I think that's just to give the New York GOP enough chance to prop someone else in there and retain a seat they've held since the late '80s.

Ohio
fordstraus.png

Seat: Senate Seat, Class III
Dates of vacancy: January 3-February 21, 2011
Outgoing Senator: Thomas Ford (R), 2005 to 2011
Incoming Senator: Hayden Straus (D)
Reason for seat change: Regular election, seating postponed by electoral challenges (vacant since 110th Congress)

to be added

Texas
berlandellis.png

Dates of vacancy: December 13, 2010-April 18, 2011
Outgoing Congressman: Mark Cumberland (R), 2003 to 2010
Incoming Congressman: Ralph Ellis (R)
Reason for seat change: Appointment of Cumberland to the Senate (vacant since 110th Congress)

Cumberland was appointed last December, so this seat was vacant for over four months. Enough time to coordinate with the other Texas seats, although they did hold an earlier primary on February 3rd.

Cumberland's successor, Ralph Ellis, ran against the late William Mulder last November. I, personally, don't like the man, because of his attack ads on Mulder were some of the worst I ever seen. That and his "social liberalism" (some of which I agree with, but he does go too far) hurt him in April but he still managed to win in April against Democrat Paul Lucas, who, despite some vague campaign claims, is not related to former Governor Jed Lucas.

paulmayer.png

Seat: 14th Congressional District
Dates of vacancy: February 14-April 18 , 2011
Outgoing Congressman: Ron Paul (R), 1974 to 2011
Incoming Congressman: Bob Mayer (R)
Reason for seat change: Resignation of Paul

Paul was one of the longest-serving Republicans in the House, and it's sad to see him ago. Most don't know who he is, but he's actually been a major player behind-the-scenes. He's already signed a book deal, but the talk on the Hill is that he left because Prior had promised him Liz Clark's Senate seat, and he was snubbed. That and his son's recent imprisonment may be just too much for the 75-year-old Congressman from Galveston.

Paul's successor was Bob Mayer, one of the chief operatives within the RNC. Mayer, most famous for his appearances on Fox News, made his bones on the Ritchie campaign as one of the senior speechwriters. Then chief speechwriter for the Vinick campaign. In the 2009-2010 season, he worked for Eric Swenson, then Matt Skinner, then even briefly Nicholas Alexander (which probably barred him from the Walken campaign), before returning to the RNC. What really annoys me here, is the guy's not even a Texan! He was born in Louisiana, raised in Georgia, and spent most of his adult career in Florida. The RNC just plopped him in Texas because he plays well in the South. But Paul, always a party player, supported the guy and he was placed on the fast track to winning the seat with 70% of the vote.

mulderchavez.png

Seat: 25th Congressional District
Dates of vacancy: March 1-April 18, 2011
Outgoing Congressman: William Mulder (D), 1985 to 2011
Incoming Congressman: Diego Chavez (D)
Reason for seat change: Death of Mulder

Bill Mulder will be missed. He nearly lost both his life and election last year, only to survive and pass away this year. My fellow Texas state Congressman Charles Spender was quoted as saying "Bill Mulder was the greatest friend and colleague I ever had."

Mulder shared most of my ideas and we would have 'rap sessions' in his office with a couple of the other Texas Democrats. He was a friend to President Santos, even if he could be a bit critical of his more lefty ideas. We Texas Democrats stick together! The 25th stayed true to its history and elected a Santosian Democrat in his place, the Mayor of Austin, Diego Chavez. He really brought out the youth vote, and I see Chavez going places.

Last edited:

JoeMulk

Banned
barack.jpg

Apinmages.com-A member of the special council prosecuting Roger Baker is seen outside the Lansing courthouse Wednesday morning.

ooc: great job Tim!

politico.com

IL-10 race is set

In the race to fill former congressman Jasper Irving's congressional seat, the candidates are set. The very amped-up race getting national attention as an indication of the national electorate mood, is now even more confunded as it is a three way race.

Democrats have chosen the young idealistic public defender Rajiv Nehru. The primary had Youth in Revolt members driving up the voter turnout. Republicans voted en masse for state senator Dick Andrews. However, Andrews' and his staunch conservative views, forced moderate republicans and independents to rally behind the former republican-turned-libertarian Roy Flagg. Current polling has the race a dead heat between Nehru and Andrews, each with 35%, and Flagg trailing with 26%.

Big name players in both parties are coming to stump for their respective candidates. House minority whip Brad Gilmore (R-CA) joined senate majority whip Seth Randall (R-FL) in a tour through the district. DCCC Vice-Chairman Will Bailey (D-OR) joined Pittsburgh Mayor Jackson Kennedy and governor Andrew Cordy (D-IL) for a three day trip in the district with Nehru. Flagg hasn't been getting any big endorsements, save North Dakota senator Seth Gillete (PA-ND), but his district name recognition(having served the district from 1998-2008) has certainly been a help. While previously the special election was to be held on July 9th, it has been moved up to June 24th in the even a runoff is needed.

politico.com, Friday, June 10th, 2011.

Campaign Finance and Ethics Bill Signed into Law in Oval Office.

President GlenAllen Walken signed the Campaign Finance and Congressional Ethics Reform Enforcement Act (CFCEREA) into last night, stating that it was a "necessary reform to ensure the public's trust in our legislators," even though he had expressed concerns in the past.

The bill had been surrounded by controversy, as Florida Republican Senator Seth Randall filibustered the bill when it first moved onto the Senate floor, and threatened to hold up all legislation on the Senate floor if the bill was passed (His threat was not carried out, which sources report was due to direct pressure from the White House). The bill passed the Senate after much arm-twisting, but had a much easier time passing the House.

President Walken had not indicated if he would sign the bill, as he had voted against previous such bills during his time in Congress, and had said that "the current system is sufficient." Normally, bills such as this are signed with much more fanfare and at an earlier time. Only 4 TV cameras and a handful photographers and print reporters were present for the bill's signing, which took place in the Oval Office. The chief House and Senate co-sponsors of the bill, along with the Chairman of the Federal Election Commission, Barry Haskel, were there and took questions afterwards on the White House drive.

Afterward, the President had some brief remarks.
"I am proud to sign this bill, as it is a necessary reform to ensure the public's trust in our legislators and their integrity. I am very pleased that this bill was passed with bipartisan support, as it shows that, even on the most difficult of issues, we can come to a consensus."

The bill, called Hunt-Kuhio for it's Senate sponsors, Matt Hunt of Arizona and David Kuhio of Hawaii, is a major reform of existing campaign finance and other rules. The most overt change is the IT disclosure and reporting requirement, wherein a candidate must place any donations, from any source over $200, on the Internet within 36-48 hours of receiving the donation. While this new law has drawn some criticism, Kuhio defended the provision, stating "With the widespread use of computers, laptops and tablets, it is not inconceivable that such a capability would be possible. It is my firm belief that a fast disclosure system would best serve the public by letting them know, in as close to real-time as is feasible, who is donating to their campaign."

The act would also ban "soft money" in it's entirety, a long-held goal of Democrats. Reform of the soft money rules had been building for several years, and was one of the key issues in President Bartlet's attempt to reform the system. It would also raise the maximum donation limit by $500 dollars for all entities, including political action committees (PAC's) and individuals. CFCEREA would also prevent labor unions and corporations from being more involved in campaigns, especially limiting corporate donations. The Act also limits the amount that an individual can personally spend on their campaign, the so-called "millionaire's amendment." The chief Democratic sponsor in the House, Barry Robinson of Illinois, said that the amendment was "a vital part of the legislation, designed to ensure that the wealthiest among us do not simply overwhelm a race with cash." It also includes some minor additions to the system of public financing, and places major restrictions on the use of foreign capital and lobbying in domestic elections.

On the ethical front, the bill creates a new body, the Office of Public Integrity, which is designed to monitor and regulate contact between elected officials and the lobbying industry. The strongest arguments came from the Senate Ethics Committee and House Standards of Official Conduct Committee, who argued that they were doing a fine job by themselves. The bill would also require that lobbyists or their clients do not pay for trips overseas or provide jobs or other services for elected officials, their staffs, associates or family members. If this is proven, it would result in the lobbyist and elected official facing criminal charges, fines and a possibility of jail time. The bill also bans family members of Representatives and Senators from being registered lobbyists for the duration of their time in office. In addition, the bill closes the revolving door, as it prevents any Congressperson or Senator from becoming a "lobbyist or public advocate for a company or industry for a period of two years, following the elected official's departure from office."

One of the more interesting and controversial changes is the "No-Resign Rule," as dubbed by the media. The rule says that "any person, appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, cannot take a position lobbying or advocating for an industry for whom they have regulated for the duration of the appointment, and up to two years after." Essentially, it states that no appointed official can resign their office and immediately move into the corporate world.

While certain groups have complained about the law, it has received praise from watchdog and public interest groups, with the group Public Citizen hailing it as "a much needed and long overdue overhaul of our nation's outdated finance system."

Arizona Senator Matt Hunt, one of the chief Senate co-sponsors, had the last word, stating simply: "This is one of the pieces of legislation that I will be most proud of in my entire career of sponsoring. It shows that Congress is working for the people who sent us here, and we're not as corrupt as people think we are."

He was a former Acting President, during the Zoey Bartlet kidnapping crisis (Season 4 to 5 cliffhanger). The rule of thumb usually used was that left-leaning sources referred to him as "Acting President Walken" while right-leaning sources referred to him as "President Walken" or "former President Walken."

It's a gray area in our timeline as well as theirs as to how to properly refer to Walken, a (then) current Congressman who was a former Speaker who briefly served as (Acting) President of the United States.

I've read everything I could on this matter and it is a grey area. I have no idea what you'd call him after his 2 days as Acting President? I personally believe he'd be called Speaker Walken because it was an official title. He was only Acting President and we've had Acting President in the past, granted they all were current Vice Presidents at the time.

I've read everything I could on this matter and it is a grey area. I have no idea what you'd call him after his 2 days as Acting President? I personally believe he'd be called Speaker Walken because it was an official title. He was only Acting President and we've had Acting President in the past, granted they all were current Vice Presidents at the time.

It's just working from what they showed us in The Stormy Present, and dialogue in 7A WF 83429 ("I don't think there's a minimum occupancy requirement"), that Walken is treated as the equivalent of a former President.

It's an extraordinary circumstance that hasn't occurred in OTL (and hopefully never will). Constitutionally, and as shown, Walken resigned his congressional seat and his Speakership to become Acting President. He gave up the highest legislative office possible, no questions asked, in order to serve his country during a crisis.

That would stick with people, and if it's not commonly acknowledged that he was (Acting) President, then people would treat as an insult.

In OTL, two people (GHW Bush and Cheney) became Acting Presidents for only hours at a time during a President's surgery. They didn't resign their Vice Presidency to do so, and only one (Cheney) is actually known to have done any actions as Acting President. So there's really no way to compare what would happen in OTL if a Speaker or other person ever became Acting President. State Department protocol would dictate it, and it hasn't been written yet.

BBC.CO.UK/News

New Poll shows Labour Leadership race "too close to call"

A poll of the Labour Electoral college shows the battle for the leadership of the party to be a three-way race between, Malcolm Cutter,Ed Miller and Gerald Fox.

The poll comes on the eve of a first teleivised debate due on Newsnight tommrrow night.

Malcolm Cutter 29%
Gerald Fox 27%
Ed Miller 25%
Peter Kennedy 15%
Martina Gregory 4%

The poll covers all three parts of the Labour Electoral College, The MP's (including EMP's), The Trades Unions and the Local Constitency Parties.

washingtonpost.com

Thorn: "We're going to put every state in play."

As spring turns to summer, the chairs of both parties respective senatorial and congressional campaign committees are beginning to aggressively pursue candidates in races for the 2012 cycle. More so in senatorial races than congressional ones, but it's all the same. 2012 will be the GOP's first midterm cycle in power since 1996, and it's worth noting that parties controlling the white house normally lose seats during the midterms, '96 and 2000 are the only recent ones where the opposite has been true.

"There is a lot of talk about who's going to run in competitive races, what lamb will we put up in others. Enough is enough. Let me simplify it for everyone. We're going to put every state in play. Republicans efforts to stymie healthcare reform, immigration reform, energy reform, and their plans to drastically scale back medicare, all along with rising unemployment does not exactly make American people think differently of the Republican Party. President Walken talked about a different kind of politics, myself, along with many others, including several in his party, are still waiting to see this. If he was expecting a different kind of politics to be a more conservative one, he'd be very mistaken," DSCC chairman Andrew Thorn (D-NY) said today.

All that said, there are certainly many battleground states for the coming cycle. Dave Dernazza continues his "Line" updates to prove it. Traditional battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Virginia, etc. all have races. The red-turning-purple state of Texas finds itself having two senatorial contests, and a gubernatorial race along with all the congressional races too. Thorn and his GOP counterpart Harry Proctor (R-SC) have been busy putting out feelers to many potential candidates, and over the next three months or so, expect to see many emerge.

For those who are interested, here are all upcoming federal American elections, for the next few years, as well as state elections for Governor. Italicized entries indicate a difference between OTL and TTL. As in all even-numbered years, since before John Tyler was born, the entire House of Representatives (435 members) is up for election in 2012, 2014, and 2016 (and beyond).

2011 US elections (first off-year)
  • June 21st:
    • South Carolina Gubernatorial Primaries:
      • Democratic: Christine Jackson (Inc.) v. Nate Singer
      • Republican: Dean Maskell v. Brad Maxwell
  • July 7th:
    • Illinois Senate Primaries (special):
      • Democratic: Mitch Bryce (Inc.)
      • Republican: Jasper Irving v. Landon Reese
    • Illinois Congressional District 10 (special): Dick Andrews (R) v. Roy Flagg (L) v. Rajiv Nehru (D) The Primaries were on June 9th
  • July 26th:
    • Oklahoma Gubernatorial Primaries:
      • Democratic: (??) De Mario v. Eli Jobling v. (??) Palmer
      • Republican: Lorraine Keeley v. Lawrence Martin (Inc.)
  • August 2nd:
    • Mississippi Gubernatorial Primaries:
      • Democratic: (??) Dolan v. David Ellerby
      • Republican: Katie Hodder-Shaw v. Kim Matthews v. (??) Norris v. Jonas Watts
  • August 23rd:
    • Vermont Gubernatorial Primaries:
      • Democratic: Janet Lorton (Inc.)
      • Republican: (??) Cartwright v. (??) Dinning v. (??) Fasano v. (??) Nicholls
  • November 8th:
    • Illinois Senate (special): TBD
    • Kentucky Gubernatorial: Chris Mannix (D) v. Alison Marshall (R, Inc.) The Primaries were on May 17th
    • Mississippi Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Oklahoma Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Oregon Gubernatorial: Paul Chang (D) v. John Heffinger (R) The Primaries were on May 17th
    • South Carolina Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Vermont Gubernatorial: TBD

2012 elections (mid-terms, Senate Class 1)
  • November 6th:
    • Alaska Gubernatorial: TBD; Joe Wheeler (R, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Arizona Senate: TBD; Bill Marienhoff (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Arkansas Gubernatorial: TBD; Bobby Rimmer (D, Inc.) is term-limited
    • California Senate: TBD; Nicole Kershaw (D, Inc.) up for election to a full term
    • Connecticut Senate: TBD; Joseph Rathburn (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a seventh term
    • Delaware Gubernatorial: TBD; Rachel De Boear (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Delaware Senate: TBD; Joseph McKenna (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Florida Senate: TBD; Seth Randall (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second full term
    • Hawaii Senate: TBD; Arthur Breech (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Idaho Gubernatorial: TBD; David Arkin (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Idaho Senate: TBD; Gina DiMeo (R, Inc.) up for election to finish Chris Carrick's term
    • Illinois Gubernatorial: TBD; Andrew Cordy (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Indiana Senate: TBD; Rob O'Rourke (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Kansas Gubernatorial: TBD; Mitch McCall (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Louisiana Senate: TBD; Judi Rand (I, Inc.) up for election to finish Will Villegas's term
    • Maine Gubernatorial: TBD; Lionel Thompson (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Maine Senate: TBD; Caroline Dempsey (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Maryland Gubernatorial: TBD: Joe Derrick (D, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Maryland Senate: TBD; Sam Whiteside (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Massachusetts Senate: TBD; Ryan Lyndell (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Michigan Senate: TBD; Paula Sacho (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Minnesota Gubernatorial: TBD; Michael Jack (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Minnesota Senate: TBD; Mark Ramsey (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Mississippi Senate: TBD; Ann Choate (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Missouri Gubernatorial: TBD; Henry Shallick (R, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Missouri Senate: TBD; Lewis Henderson (R, Inc.) up for election to a full term
    • Montana Senate: TBD; George Wirth (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Nebraska Gubernatorial: TBD; John Moore (R, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Nebraska Senate: TBD; Bill Daniel (R, Inc.) up for election to a full term
    • Nevada Senate: TBD; Vic Huntington (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • New Jersey Senate: TBD; Mike Brace (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second full term
    • New Mexico Senate: TBD; Lloyd Russell (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • New York Senate: TBD; Andrew Thorn (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • North Dakota Gubernatorial: TBD; George Simms (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • North Dakota Senate: TBD; Seth Gillette (PA, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Ohio Senate: TBD; August Adair (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Pennsylvania Gubernatorial: TBD; Michael Kellner (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Pennsylvania Senate: TBD; Morgan Mitchell (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Rhode Island Gubernatorial: TBD; Billie Atkins (D, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Rhode Island Senate: TBD; John Huntingdon (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third full term
    • Tennessee Senate: TBD; Dan Hammond (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Texas Gubernatorial: TBD; Phil Prior (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Texas Senate: TBD; Barton Hopkins (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a full term
    • Texas Senate (special): TBD; Mark Cumberland (R, Inc.) up for election to finish Liz Clark's term
    • Utah Gubernatorial: TBD; John Elderton (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Utah Senate: TBD; Jeff Heston (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second full term
    • Vermont Senate: TBD; Sarah O'Brien (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Virginia Senate: TBD; Harold Webster (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Washington Gubernatorial: TBD; Sean Boone (R, Inc.) up for election to a full term
    • Washington Senate: TBD; William Wiley (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • West Virginia Gubernatorial: TBD; Stan Hale (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • West Virginia Senate: TBD; Brent Harrison (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Wisconsin Gubernatorial: TBD; Mark Katzenmoyer (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Wisconsin Senate: TBD; Jeremy Lyons (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Wyoming Gubernatorial: TBD; Brad Elton (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Wyoming Senate: TBD; Herman Morton (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term

2013 elections (second off-year)
  • November 5th:
    • New Jersey Gubernatorial: TBD; Dan Pritchard (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Virginia Gubernatorial: TBD; Rob Buchanan (R, Inc.) up for reelection

2014 elections (Presidential season, Senate Class 2)
  • November 4th:
    • "2014 US Presidential election": TBD; President Glen Allen Walken (R, Inc.) and VP Liz Clark (R, Inc.) are up for reelection
    • Alabama Gubernatorial: TBD; Stock Kimsey (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Alabama Senate: TBD; Cody Riley (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Alaska Senate: TBD; Robert Cantina (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second full term
    • Arizona Gubernatorial: TBD; Mike Lawson (D, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Arkansas Senate: TBD; Robert Miner (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a ninth term
    • California Gubernatorial: TBD; Kevin Clarkson (D, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Colorado Gubernatorial: TBD; Oliver Moseley (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Colorado Senate: TBD; Bill Armstrong, Jr. (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Connecticut Gubernatorial: TBD; Louise Northman-Page (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Delaware Senate: TBD; Tom Landis (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Florida Gubernatorial: TBD; James Ritchie (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Florida Senate: TBD; Eric Swenson (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a full term
    • Georgia Gubernatorial: TBD; Mike Schofield (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Georgia Senate: TBD; Max Lobell I (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth full term
    • Hawaii Gubernatorial: TBD; Joanne White (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Idaho Senate: TBD
    • Illinois Senate: TBD
    • Indiana Gubernatorial: TBD; Emily Rudden (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Iowa Gubernatorial: TBD; Carl York (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Iowa Senate: TBD; Lorraine Lindsay (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Kansas Senate: TBD; James Taglio (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Kentucky Senate: TBD; Calvin Bowles (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Louisiana Gubernatorial: TBD; Cole Quigley (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Louisiana Senate: TBD; Keith Proctor (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Maine Senate: TBD; Stephen Wilson (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third full term
    • Massachusetts Gubernatorial: TBD; Isaac Sidley (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Massachusetts Senate: TBD; Jimmy Fitzsimmons (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a full term
    • Michigan Gubernatorial: TBD; John Brennan (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Minnesota Senate: TBD; Jack Hunter (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a full term
    • Mississippi Senate: TBD; Dylan McNamara (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Montana Gubernatorial: TBD; Kurt Carner (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Montana Senate: TBD; Robert Starkey (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third full term
    • Nebraska Senate: TBD; Emit George (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Nevada Gubernatorial: TBD; Randy Broughton (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • New Hampshire Gubernatorial: TBD; Kurt Breech (D, Inc.) is term-limited
    • New Hampshire Senate: TBD; George Englemann (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • New Jersey Senate: TBD; Dante Jenkins (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • New Mexico Gubernatorial: TBD; Rudi Vansen (I, Inc.) up for reelection
    • New Mexico Senate: TBD; Andy Ritter (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • New York Gubernatorial: TBD; Matthew Lewis (D, Inc.) up for reelection
    • North Carolina Gubernatorial: TBD; Andrew Wu (R, Inc.) is term-limited
    • North Carolina Senate: TBD; Eric Bennett (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Ohio Gubernatorial: TBD; Simon Halley (R, Inc.) is term-limited
    • Oklahoma Senate: TBD; Alan Duke (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Oregon Senate: TBD; Ricky Rafferty (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Rhode Island Senate: TBD; Michael Swain (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • South Carolina Senate: TBD; Harry Proctor (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • South Dakota Gubernatorial: TBD; Tim Masters (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • South Dakota Senate: TBD; Jim Simon (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second consecutive term
    • Tennessee Gubernatorial: TBD; Shane Denham (R, Inc.) up for reelection
    • Tennessee Senate: TBD; Patrick Stacy (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Texas Senate: TBD
    • Virginia Senate: TBD; Henry Malken (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • West Virginia Senate: TBD; Charles Oakley (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a full term
    • Wyoming Senate: TBD; Kent Harris (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term

2015 elections (first off-year)
  • November 3rd:
    • Kentucky Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Mississippi Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Oklahoma Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Oregon Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Vermont Gubernatorial: TBD

2016 elections (Senate Class 3)
  • November 8th:
    • Alabama Senate: TBD; Alan Garland (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second full term
    • Alaska Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Alaska Senate: TBD; Sorah Wheeler (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Arizona Senate: TBD; Matt Hunt (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Arkansas Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Arkansas Senate: TBD; Fletcher Carey (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • California Senate: TBD; Sam Seaborn (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Colorado Senate: TBD; Camille Aubry (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Connecticut Senate: TBD; Chris Casey (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Delaware Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Georgia Senate: TBD; Max Lobell III (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Hawaii Senate: TBD; David Kuhio (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Idaho Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Idaho Senate: TBD; Clark Gibson (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a seventh term
    • Illinois Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Illinois Senate: TBD; George Montgomery (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Indiana Senate: TBD; Damon Matteo (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Iowa Senate: TBD; Rod Kasey (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Kansas Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Kansas Senate: TBD; Sam Wilkinson (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a seventh term
    • Kentucky Senate: TBD; James Lancaster (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • Louisiana Senate: TBD
    • Maine Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Maryland Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Maryland Senate: TBD; Dan Kalmbach (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Michigan Senate: TBD; Randall Thomas (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • Minnesota Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Missouri Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Missouri Senate: TBD; Laura Shallick (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Nebraska Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Nevada Senate: TBD; Howard Weston (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fourth term
    • New Hampshire Senate: TBD; Scott Larkin (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • New York Senate: TBD; Jay Cruger (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • North Carolina Senate: TBD; Brett Logan (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • North Dakota Gubernatorial: TBD
    • North Dakota Senate: TBD; Harry Conroy (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Ohio Senate: TBD; Hayden Straus (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Oklahoma Senate: TBD; Robert Roanoke (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Oregon Senate: TBD; Robert Greys (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a sixth term
    • Pennsylvania Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Pennsylvania Senate: TBD; Robert Royce (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a fifth term
    • Rhode Island Gubernatorial: TBD
    • South Carolina Senate: TBD; Tim McCord (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a third term
    • South Dakota Senate: TBD; Robin Fulton (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a third full term
    • Texas Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Utah Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Utah Senate: TBD; Marc Elderton (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Vermont Senate: TBD; Matt Skinner (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • Washington Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Washington Senate: TBD; Andrew Howard (D, Inc.) up for reelection to a second term
    • West Virginia Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Wisconsin Gubernatorial: TBD
    • Wisconsin Senate: TBD; Sean Quatermain (R, Inc.) up for reelection to a seventh term
    • Wyoming Gubernatorial: TBD

Last edited:
Dark Blue = Democratic Incumbent
Light Blue = Retiring or term-limited Democrat
Light Red = Retiring or term-limited Republican
Dark Red = Republican Incumbent
Green = Progressive Alliance Incumbent
Light Gray = Independent
That circle thing = to show there are two races in the Senate in Texas for 2012.

The upcoming Gubernatorial races (2011):
2011gubernatorial.png

The expected Gubernatorial races (2012):
2012gubernatorial.png

The expected Senate races (2012):
2012senate.png

The expected Gubernatorial races (2013):
2013gubernatorial.png

The expected Gubernatorial races (2014):
2014gubernatorial.png

BBC.CO.UK/News

Tuesday June 14th 2011

Nominations close in Lib Dem Leadership Contest

The Labour Party is not the only party to be looking for a leader after the General election two months ago.

Liberal Democrat Leader Richard Corbett resigned and the party is looking for its first new leader in a decade.

After nomination closed at noon today there will be three candiadtes. Acting Leader Emma Dean, David Salter and Robert Richardson.

Each candidate has been required to get the support of 10% of the party's MP's each eg three plus 200 party members drawn from at least 20 constituency parties.

A postal ballot will be held of all party members and MP's. The result will be announced on Sunday July 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.