2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gregg Institute on Foreign Relations
Country Profile

<British Protectorate of Qumar (1918 - 1935) - Qumar (1935 - ) >

Capital: Jabal Nafusah
Official Languages: Persian, Arabic
Government: Parliamentary Democracy (74 seat Parliament)
Population: 5,678,980 (2009 census)
Currency: Qumari Riyal
Religion: Sunni Islam
Political Parties:
qumariparliament.png

Qumari Reform Party
: 35
Qumari Conservative Party: 29
Independents: 7
Religious Minorities: 3
List of Sultans:

Mohammed ibn Shareef (1936 - 1941)
Haqim ibn Rakkiri (1941 - 1945)
Aqil bin Shakarat (1946 - 1963)
Faisal bin Saudkiri (1963 - 1971)
Abdul bin Mussawir (1971 - 1980)
Ali Usef ibn Shareef (1980 - 2007)
Manab ibn Hessani (2007 - )

History:

During the treaty of Versailles, a minor disagreement arose over the country of Persia. One of the members of the American delegation named Thomas Pierce, seeking to end a dispute between France and Britain proposed a compromise, which quickly gained traction among the leaders of the great powers. The country of Persia would be partitioned into two separate nations. The northern part which would comprise the bulk of the country, would be called Persia, and was heavily supported by the Russian delegation along with the French. The British were satisfied with the area of Southern Persia which they called Qumar, taken from a bastardization of the Arabic word kamar, an alternate name for the moon. The country was quickly made a protectorate with no protest from the French or Russian delegation. It should be pointed out that Wilson's plan for self determination only extended as far as Europe, and the country of Persia was split up by agreement between the European powers and called the Pierce Compromise, much to Thomas Pierce's dismay who made the suggestion only in jest.

The British were always disappointed with the output of Qumar, this was in part due to an erroneous geological report dated from 1915 which led them to believe the country was rife with Coal deposits. In 1935 Britain decided to abandon the colony and to let it "determine its own role in the world." by this point in time neither the people of Qumar or Persia sought reunification, in fact the Shah was vehemently against it. Technically Qumar had been a parliamentary democracy since the British abandonment and member of the Commonwealth of Nations from 1935, however in 1936 Mohammed ibn Shareef a former soldier of the British colonial garrison performed a coup-d-etat and declared himself sultan, similar to the rise of the al Saud family in Saudi Arabia, and cut ties to the Commonwealth of Nations. Given the economic depression around the world, and the continuing foreign policy dilemmas regarding Germany, scarcely any world power noticed that Qumar had become a dictatorship. However Mohammed ibn Shareef now Sultan of Qumar did not disband the parliament, and throughout his reign he kept it filled with his supporters, prepared to rubberstamp his policies.

<>

...declassified in 1984, it was discovered that the Nazi colonel Fuhler was assassinated by OSS forces. The Kalifa Air Base passed from German control, once more to Qumari control. Although not a battle by any stretch, it did permanently stymy Nazi influence in the Middle East, and severely weakened Sultan Haqim ibn Rakkiri, who would be deposed in 1946.

<>

... and Sultan Abdul bin Mussawir, was killed on his yacht in 1980. Although President Jimmy Carter condemned the assassination, following the rise of the ayatollah in nearby Iran it carried little weight in international politics, especially since it did not herald a rise of a theocratic state. The man who replaced Mussawir, came from the most powerful political family in Qumar, the Shareefs. Since the 1930s the Shareefs had been officially royal once before, and after 40 years out of power Mohammed ibn Shareef's eldest son, Ali Usef ibn Shareef, wished to be sultan. Apparently the man was not content to merely be the unchecked CEO of Qumar's national oil company, ShareefPetro and all the profits he received from that. In the days of the early 80s, the Shareef's return to power was heralded as a ray of hope in an otherwise hostile region of the world. In 1981, during Reagan's administration, the Pentagon as part of a massive buildup, leased the Kalifa Air Base. The Air Base itself had a chequered past. The base had been built by the British in 1928, and in 1935 it was transferred to the Qumari Ministry of Defense, and then during Shareef's coup to the Qumari military, and then it was leased to Germany from 1940 to 1942 who expanded the base greatly, and then back to Qumar, and finally to the US Military in 1981, which still holds the lease to this day.

<>

Following the wikileaks release in 2010, we now know many of the details surrounding the rise of the Bahji cells in Qumar in the 1990s. Sultan Ali Usef ibn Shareef was still ostensibly a friend in the west, but following the University of Qumar protest in 1993 became increasingly paranoid, and began to turn Qumar into more like a police state. The Bahji cells were actually the work of Abdul ibn Shareef to create a muslim fundamentalist terrorist network, with many other terrorist leaders. It is believed that his plan following his expected destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge, was to overthrow his brother Sultan Ali Usef ibn Shareef and claim power for himself, and turn Qumar into a Sunni Theocratic State. His plan and that of the Bahji extremists were put to a halt by Shareef's assassination in 2002 and Acting President Walken's strikes against Bahji cells in 2003 in the wake of the Zoey Bartlet Crisis.

<>

Ever since the revolts which dramatically ended Sultan Ali Usef's reign, Prime Minister Zuben Ahmed has been an effective head of government, if at times a difficult one. In 2008 he announced the reinitialization of the Jasken research reactor, as part of a ploy to rankle Iran. Recently he has been locked in a political battle with Sultan Manab ibn Hessani for control of the Reform Party. Hessani pushes for much more reforms then Ahmed thinks reasonable, but it is an interesting dynamic between the two men. Hessani while popular with the people and the West, cannot be a member of the Qumari Parliament, also his being Sultan causes much difficulty with possible Commonwealth of Nations membership, as Queen Elizabeth is head of state. Ahmed on the other hand is popular with most other Muslim nations save Iran and Afghanistan, and although has done some reforms is not as fast as the Sultan would like. Ahmed probably regrets his decision supporting Hessani's claim to the throne in 2007 now.

At present Sultan Hessani is doing everything in his power to have Qumar be brought back in to the Commonwealth of Nations, and has successfully gotten her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to visit Qumar in May.

>>>>>

qumar.png

>>>>>

Abdul ibn Shareef was show casted and played by Al'Nomani. That's the best pic I have. I couldn't use a screenshot from the West Wing for two reasons. 1. I don't have that episode to view right now. 2. In that scene I can't think of a single good reason for why Bartlet or McGarry would let a photographer in there.

Sultan Ali Usef ibn Shareef will be played by Mahmoud Kabil, a respected Egyptian Actor and UNICEF goodwill ambassador.

Sultan Manab ibn Hessani is played by Alexander Siddig of Star Trek: DS9 fame, and also Syriana

Prime Minister Ahmed... had a previous casting, but I cannot identify who it is in that picture of him, but thanks to Mark I now know... Art Malik

Last edited:
New York Times

Former Acting President Bush visits the White House for dinner

In typical fashion for the former Acting President, George P Bush visited the White House this sunday evening and was out before even one reporter caught sight of him. According to sources in the West Wing, the Walken administration had planned this for a week. The former Acting President snuck in when most reporters were away, where he had dinner with the first family. White House photographer John Goodman was only able to catch a few snapshots of the famous meeting between the only two acting Presidents in American history. Also at the dinner was George Bush's daughter Elaine who works in Vice President Clark's office as Deputy Chief of Staff.

The former Acting President is also to give a guest lecture at Georgetown on "Politics and the Media", an event which is sure to pack the 200 member auditorium. University Police have been told to keep the Press away.

<Did anyone ever define who Clark's Chief of Staff or Deputy Chief of Staff was?>

Last edited:
So there is an exact split in the Qumari Parliament, with 37 on each side? So I'm guessing Ahmed needs to do a lot of bargaining with the Opposition to get things done?

politico.com

Singer claws to the lead

As the 2011 gubnetorial cycle hits it's stride with many primaries to be held in the next several months, one of the key races has been in South Carolina. Th traditionally red state has been getting a purple tint in the past few cycles as Matt Santos carried it in both of his presidential campaigns, and democrats picked up a seat in the congressional delegation last year.

And they have a democratic governor, former assistant attorney general under President Bartlet, Christine Jackson. However, Jackson faces an incredibly difficult reelection campaign as her approval rating sits at a dismal 38%, and former white house chief of staff Nate Singer is surging in latest polls. When at one point, Jackson led by 15 points, she now trails by 4, 46-42.

Many attribute this to Singer's crusade on education reform, and his pledge to get rid of the state's already very low income tax. And he's made waves in some urban poor neighborhoods by talking about housing reform and th idea of housing vouchers. He was quoted saying, "If we are all truly equal, than we should be able to live with one another. Rich or poor, black or white." The primary is in about a month.

Last edited:
Prime Minister Ahmed was cast as Art Malik
_41365542_art_malik_bbc_203.jpg

Fixed

So there is an exact split in the Qumari Parliament, with 37 on each side? So I'm guessing Ahmed needs to do a lot of bargaining with the Opposition to get things done?

Not that much. the Conservatives only have 29 seats. The Qumari Reformers have a control usually because there are 7 independents (5 of which have a reform bend), and 3 religious minorities seats which never will vote for the Conservatives. Oh and I never saw fit to mention, but the surviving Shareefs are still part of the conservative party probably Shareef's middle brother or a sister or something

R 35, C 29, I 7, Rel 3. A majority but only by 3 seats if you include the reformer independents.

Clark's CoS is Jane Braun, the political operative who is a favorite of the Right.

Glad I went with Deputy Chief of Staff then

Last edited:
minnesotastar-tribune.com, Monday May 2nd, 2011.

Ramsey to Announce for Governor; McBain Considering Run.

The Star-Tribune has learned that two of Minnesota's top politicians are interested in a run for the Governor's Mansion.

Senator Mark Ramsey, the senior Republican Senator, confirmed in an interview today that he will be announcing a run for Governor "very soon."

"It's something that I've been considering for awhile, and after some consultation with my family and staff, I've decided to go through with it," Ramsey said in an interview with Chad Hartman on WCCO-AM today. "So I'll be announcing in the next couple of weeks."

Ramsey would be running to replace another Republican, Michael Jack. Several conservative Republicans within the state, including Senate Minority Leader Lloyd Miles and Lieutenant Governor Bill Anders. While Ramsey is a moderate, Miles and Anders both hail from the more conservative wings of the party. Miles is well-known for his deep Christian faith, while Anders is of a more libertarian bend.

On the Democratic side, Congressman Edward McBain has said that he is "considering" a run at the Governor's Office. McBain, in a question-and-answer session at the University of Minnesota, said that he was "intrigued" with the possibility as his response to an audience question.
"It's something I've thought about, certainly," McBain said. "Especially with a Republican Governor in office now, and he's retiring, that would be a good chance. I'm leaning toward saying yes, but I have a good job, and I just don't know right now."

McBain, representing the 5th District, has been in Congress for the past 15 years, and is one of its' wealthier members. The Democratic field for Governor is rather diffuse at the moment, as several people have expressed interest in running, but no one has officially announced.

Last edited:
politico.com, Monday, May 2nd, 2011.

Exclusive; Gellman: "Absolutely" Not Running for Senate.

Congressman Noah Gellman said that he is "without-a-doubt" not running for Senate.

In an interview with Politico that will be released Wednesday, Gellman stated that he is not running for Harold Webster's open Senate seat in 2012. When our correspondent questioned him about his sincerity, Gellman said that he "absolutely would not be a candidate for the 2012 Senate election in Virginia to replace Harold."

Gellman also answered questions about the current state of the Democratic Caucus.

Gellman's refusal to run leaves former Governor Mark Renton and former Secretary of Defense Miles Hutchinson as the frontrunners for the nomination.

washingtonpost.com

Wirth will not seek 4th term

In a shocking turn of events the lovable-libertarian of the republican senate conference George Wirth (R-MT) announced that he would not seek a 4th term in the US senate. Many of his closest friends such as Arizona senator Matt Hunt, were amazed that Wirth wouldn't choose to continue doing what he loved. "I'm really gonna miss him. He's been my closest friend for almost 20 years now." Hunt said.

The news also sets of a shock in the state's electoral scene for next year. Glen Allen Walken carried the state by the skin of his teeth last year, and the state's been trending blue for a while. Democrats have been waiting for a chance to take the state with Robert Starkley in the other seat. They'll have a battle between the state auditor Rick Bartman and Mizzoula mayor Lena Peterson, both of whom had announced their plans to run before Wirth's decision.

On the republican side, Wirth's son-in-low, Helana lawyer Jonathan Campbell has been waiting for a chance to step into his father-in-laws seat, and many expect him to announce a run soon. But he'll likely have a competitor in long-time attorney general (since 2000) Carlson Hodge.

coach-whitey-durham-profile.jpg

Barry Corbin as Senator George Wirth

theoregonian.com

Chang pulls ahead, Ryan inches past Heffinger

One of the toughest gubernatorial elections in the 2011 cycle, for democrats at least, has been the blue-leaning Oregon. This year following much anticipation, the race seems to have narrowed down to Portland mayor Steven Key, and congressman Paul Chang. Key has led for much of the race, but the recent efforts of Youth in Revolt activists has driven Chang into the lead.

Former Massachusetts senate candidate Alex Minolli rallied together large numbers of students at the University of Oregon, Oregon State, Portland University, among several others to support Congressman Chang. And it is working. In the past two weeks, Chang has raised over $600,000, and his total campaign fund prior to that was $3.5 million. The latest RCP average has Chang leading Key 42-35, with several other candidates straddling behind.

On the Republican side, the match had always been between congressman and nephew of incumbent governor (albeit opposite parties) Curtis Ryan, and former congressman John Heffiner. Heffinger who is still very popular amongst the state GOP, has led through most of the cycle, but found himself looking up today, as the latest NBC/WSJ journal poll had Ryan leading by 3, 41-38.

BBC.CO.UK/News

Wednesday May 4th 2011

Chancellor announces budget for June 8th

George Tamm announced today that an emergency budget will take place on Wednesday June 8th.

realclearpolitics.com

2011 Gubernatorial polling

South Carolina

Democrats: Singer - 47, Jackson - 42

Republican: Barclay - 39, Maxwell - 32, Maskell - 24

Mississippi

Democrats: Ellerby - 61, Dolan - 32

Republicans: Hodder-Shaw - 37, Matthews - 34, Watts - 23

Vermont

Republican: Cartwright - 30, Fasano - 23, Nicholls - 20, Dinning - 11,

Oklahoma

Democrats: Jobling - 42, DeMario - 32, Palmer - 16

Republicans: Martin - 66, Keeley - 24

Kentucky

Democrats: Mannix - 52, Lawrence - 41

Oregon

Democrats: Chang - 45, Kay - 38, Redford - 7

Republicans: Ryan - 46, Heffinger - 44, Donnelly - 5

washingtonpost.com/blog/

Pictures around Washington

9f33dee31eb36a09_sophia-bush-the-narrows-premiere-01.xxlarge.jpg

Congresswoman Eve Howard (D-CA-29) at a fundraiser for her non-profit that she started at UCLA informing people about AIDS and other STD's.

jimmy-smits-outlaw_69024.jpg

Former President Matthew Santos (D-TX) exiting his former residence, he's developed a personal friendship with his successor Glen Walken and it is said the two have dinner every month.

Jeff+Daniels.jpg

House Minority Leader Jim Arkin (R-ID-1) after a long day on the hill

orlandojones_large.jpg

Senator Jay Cruger (R-NY) on Countdown with Gabe Tillman

10-eric-dane-AV.jpg

Senator Vic Huntingdon (D-NV) at a DSCC fundraiser. Since the 2002 Democratic National Convention, Huntingdon has been good friends with Senator Andrew Thorn (D-NY). Thorn became Chairman of the DSCC this year, and appointed Huntingdon to be his deputy.

CBS+Watch+Magazine+Unveils+April+2009+Issue+1zjL9_7KK9rl.jpg

NRCC Chairman Riley Church (R-CA-40) speaks about his recruiting and fundraising efforts. Interesting to note, while Andrew Thorn and the DSCC vastly outpace the NRSC, Church is neck-in-neck in fundraising with his democratic counterpart Claudia Greenwood.

David_Ackert_300.jpg

Congressman Samir Hansia (R-CA-24) prior to giving his keynote speech to the LCAA, League of Conservative Arab Americans, and the need for the the Republican Party to branch out.

Last edited:

JoeMulk

Banned
dondraper150.jpg

Steve Seaborne the father of Sam Seaborne was a deputy speechwriter in the Kennedy administration. Here he nervously contemplates how to handle a developing scandal in 1961 after he realized that he accidently slept with a call girl.

BradshawBlog.com

Mannix scores Bowles endorsement

As 2011 goes on, high schools and colleges get to receive their commencement speeches from cool people, as does the 2011 gubnatorial cycle. In Kentucky, democratic frontrunner, state attorney general Chris Mannix received a giant boost for his campaign against Louisville businessman Andrew Lawrence, in the endorsement of senior US senator Calvin Bowles.

"I look at Chris and I see the future of politics in Kentucky. He's a man of the people and he's a man of the great state and commonwealth of Kentucky. I can hope that no better democrat-indeed no better person is our parties nominee for governor this fall." Bowles said following a brief meeting between the two of them. In Kentucky politics, Bowles is the king maker, and this endorsement could help Mannix put his most recent 11 point lead in the bank.

Mannix has worked his ass off this entire year to stay one step ahead of the self-financing Lawrence. He's campaigned as socially moderate and fiscally populist. He's a staunchly pro-life Christian, can't stand gun regulations, but while he isn't in favor of gay marriage, he does support civil unions for gay couples, and he's against the death penalty. Fiscally, he's made being a former mine worker a big campaign piece, which has worked well in the primary against Lawrence who owns a mining company that oversaw the collapse of 15 mines in the past 5 years. The big company vs. the lone worker angle has worked well. The primary is two months away but with Mannix's lead and Bowles endorsement, the book could be closed relatively soon on this one.

JoeMulk

Banned
politicalbios.com

Steven Seaborne was born on April 23, 1930 in Cleveland Ohio the son of a machinist and the youngest in a family of six. Growing up the family was hit hard by the depression and Seaborne was taken in by relatives in California. Even after things improved he remained with his aunt and uncle and graduated from Theodore Roosevelt High School in 1948. He then enlisted in the marines and served in Korea. After being wounded in 1952 and winning a silver star Seaborne attended UCLA on the GI Bill and graduated with a law degree in 1958. He then became involved in Democrats, first serving as a legal council to governor Pat Brown before in 1960 getting a job as a speechwriter on the Kennedy campaign.

After Kennedy's election Seaborne ironically got a job in the administration similar to what his son would hold in the Bartlett administration. In 1962 he had a falling out with Kennedy and was forced to resign after being asked to cover up for several of the President's affairs, and Seaborne himself becoming involved. He then returned to California where he married a young actress Lana Kaye who he had met on the Kennedy campaign several years earlier and there only son Sam Seaborne was born in 1967. Although he continued to be involved with Democratic politics he mostly retired after he was present at the Ambassador Hotel on June 5, 1968 when Robert F Kennedy was shot. Seaborne was traumatized because he had seen Sirhan Sirhan in the parking garage earlier that evening.

politicalbios.com

Steven Seaborne was born on April 23, 1930 in Cleveland Ohio the son of a machinist and the youngest in a family of six. Growing up the family was hit hard by the depression and Seaborne was taken in by relatives in California. Even after things improved he remained with his aunt and uncle and graduated from Theodore Roosevelt High School in 1948. He then enlisted in the marines and served in Korea. After being wounded in 1952 and winning a silver star Seaborne attended UCLA on the GI Bill and graduated with a law degree in 1958. He then became involved in Democrats, first serving as a legal council to governor Pat Brown before in 1960 getting a job as a speechwriter on the Kennedy campaign.

After Kennedy's election Seaborne ironically got a job in the administration similar to what his son would hold in the Bartlett administration. In 1962 he had a falling out with Kennedy and was forced to resign after being asked to cover up for several of the President's affairs, and Seaborne himself becoming involved. He then returned to California where he married a young actress Lana Kaye who he had met on the Kennedy campaign several years earlier and there only son Sam Seaborne was born in 1967.

Just a note... It's Seaborn not SeabornE

By popular request I present...

The 112th Congress - House of Representatives

This lovely document has been compiled by the Gregg Institute of Foreign Affairs. It's Editor-in-Chief was Peter D. Rometheus, with Contributing Authors Timothy Thomason, and Brian Westbrook, with the participation of 535.com

This volume features

*The House Seniority List
*Standing Committees as of the 111th Congress
* A beautiful Chart of the US House of Representatives
* A list of all the non Republican or Democratic seats, including vacancies

This document can be had for only $44.95 plus shippi... Hey! Put me Down! Help!

<We apologize for the interruption. We are having Technical problems>

...umm... I have been informed that this will be... Do I have to say this?... <shotgun cocks>... EEP! Yes absolutely free! Just click below!

>>>>>

A big round of applause should go to Westbrook and Tim for all the aid and time they gave freely to help me with this project. Without them this would not have been possible.

Attachments

• The U.S. House of Representatives4.pdf
    840.6 KB · Views: 1,259
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.