2008 Olympic boycott adopted by the entire west.

Remember before Beijing when there was talk of Boycotting the Olympics because of the problems in Tibet, and the Chinese role in Darfur? What if the West had followed through on it?

China's big coming out party - which they wanted the 2008 Olympics to be - gets ruined in dramatic fashion. China and its people are very unhappy indeed. China and a number of others announce that they will boycott the 2012 Games in London.

If I was to wish, I'd say maybe the IOC decides to have some games in the city that finished second - which would be my current place of residence, Toronto. :D

would the average Asian (especially, East Asian) country sort of "feel sorry" for China ... I'm thinking of Malaysia, Singapore, Philipines, maybe some others
Drive them into China's sphere ...

Could this end up being a boots to China's foreign relations in Asia?

would the average Asian (especially, East Asian) country sort of "feel sorry" for China ... I'm thinking of Malaysia, Singapore, Philipines, maybe some others
Drive them into China's sphere ...

Could this end up being a boots to China's foreign relations in Asia?

I very much doubt that there would be too many nations that felt sorry for them.

A lot of nations would however probably boycott the '12 Olympics, however they would probably mostly smaller nations or nations who have human rights issues of their own, like Belarus. I could potentially see Russia joining the '12 boycott, but its hard to tell.

wormyguy

Banned
China and the West probably get into a big trade/embargo war, which exacerbates the current recession to depression levels in both China and the west. Not good.

Whatever ever else happens, somewhere Bob Costas ends up in a crumpled heap weeping.

IN a broader scale, i think it would have sent a huge message. Not only would it have crippled the alleged coming out party of China, (which I do not think, despite what people like Costas talked about constantly, will end up having much of an impact. We all know communists can put on a nice show.

But the bigger thing would have been that if the boycott HAD occurred, it would have certainly shrunk the influence of China, which it so richly deserves. This up and coming status people keep givin it would have then become laughable.

Expect that China would suddenly launch a series of economic nationalist measures designed at punishing the "cultural arrogance of the West". As the third largest trading partner, and one of the largest holders of U.S. savings bonds, imagine the economic crisis caused by the immediate selloff of assets. To make matters worse, imagine the cost of Chinese technical piracy as billions of dollars of bootleg CDs, DVDs, and software is suddenly dumped onto the world marketplace.

In the United States, this would have torn the Republican Party in two very quickly. You would have the free-trade capitalism members (e.g. Steve Forbes, Bob Dole) on one side, opposing President Bush on one hand. On hte other hand, you would have the cultural conservatives (e.g. Sarah Palin, Pat Robertson, Mike Huckabee) in support of the measure. In either case, both sides would accuse Bush of betraying "Reagan's legacy"...

To make matters worse for the United States, China suddenly tells Iran, Iraq, and Syria that it is more than willing to purchase oil from those countries for a higher price than the United States, and that unlike the West, it won't ask any pesky questions about "human rights".

Expect that China would suddenly launch a series of economic nationalist measures designed at punishing the "cultural arrogance of the West". As the third largest trading partner, and one of the largest holders of U.S. savings bonds, imagine the economic crisis caused by the immediate selloff of assets. To make matters worse, imagine the cost of Chinese technical piracy as billions of dollars of bootleg CDs, DVDs, and software is suddenly dumped onto the world marketplace.
wont this mean the total worldwide collapse of the financial system?
After all, all those banks still have the subprime loans to worry about.