2008 American Motor Corporation

AMC Concept Cars - The Return Of AMC!
It's The Biggest Story Of The Year, And No One Saw It Coming.
writer: Steve Stanford
photographer: courtesy of American Motors

No, these concepts are not in the works and AMC is not on its way back to the streets, so don't get your checkbook out quite yet 'cause HOT ROD and Steve Stanford are just jacking with you. This story created such a huge buzz, especially with you AMC fans out there, that we put it up here so even more of you can take a look.
hrdp_0804_01_z+amc_concept_cars+front_view.jpg

Dateline: Kenosha, Wisconsin: It has been revealed that American Motors will return as a full-line, full-service car company to do battle with the domestics and imports in the highly competitive North American marketplace. Complete details of this shocking news story remain sketchy, but leave it to HOT ROD magazine to dig deep beneath the surface to unearth all kinds of surprises for anyone who digs cars. Sometimes a scoop just falls into your lap.

Let's start at the beginning. Roughly 10 years ago, a multimillionaire vintage AMC enthusiast tried to acquire one of the six remaining AMX/3 mid-engine prototype sports cars for his personal collection. He was told none were for sale at any price, so our mystery mogul decided to do the next best thing-he built his own. In the course of designing, drawing up blueprints, and interviewing potential shops to build his dream, the plan changed from a copy of an AMX/3 to a totally new, updated modern AMX/4. With strong European exotic influences, this would be an AMC like no other.

With the new Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro coming out, we've got the ponycar wars all over again, so it makes sense to reintroduce the Javelin and AMX and provide yet another marketplace alternative. AMC has big plans also for the Javelin as a platform for all sorts of racing efforts. The real news on the street, however, is the first-ever Javelin convertible. As to the powertrain for the Javelin and AMX, refer to the text. An independent rearend is an option in both cars.>>>>>>
hrdp_0804_02_z+amc_concept_cars+amc_javelin.jpg

Here's where things get interesting. In sensing a potential market for this new sports/GT with other enthusiasts, the idea was hatched to build these cars in series. Then the discussion turned to, "You know, wouldn't it be cool to bring back the whole company instead of just one AMC model? How wild would it be to build a new Javelin or AMX to go head to head with the new Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang? And how about a totally new Ambassador to compete with Cadillac or Lexus?

Our sources go on to reveal that the new American Motors will place a strong emphasis on cars that enthusiasts will want to not just own, but cherish: quality above all else, fun to drive, fast, fuel-efficient, and with great styling from the recently opened West Coast advanced-styling studio in Irvine, California. Of particular interest to HOT ROD readers is the news of a full-scale racing program to encompass NASCAR, drag racing, IMSA, and even off-road. Reportedly, a highly modified Javelin will make an assault on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this July. A later run-possibly in 2010-at the Baja 1000 will celebrate the '67 Baja run of Spence Murray and Ralph Poole in a virtually stock Rambler.

Last edited:
Matador
hrdp_0804_03_z+amc_concept_cars+amc_matador.jpg

This was a challenge for the AMC stylists but they pulled it off. "We erased the quirky and kept the rest," joked one designer. AMC wanted a stylish, midpriced four-door to compete with the Chrysler 300 and Chevy Impala. The signature AMC hardtop look makes it distinctive. Note the center-opening "coach doors," as AMC calls them.

You may be wondering at this point what AMC has planned for power for this superline of cars. AMC officials are extremely tightlipped on engine details other than to say they will be using some groundbreaking designs with innovative casting techniques and lots of new ceramics and lightweight alloys. However, engine displacements, number of cylinders, horsepower/torque figures, induction, or even what kind(s) of fuel they will use are still question marks at this point. One engineer did let slip a comment about a prototype nine-speed, constantly variable automatic trans (CVT) to go behind the V-12 in the Ambassador and AMX/4.

The funding for the new AMC is from a group of like-minded venture capitalists pooling billions of dollars to create the ultimate U.S. car company, and without the hindrance that comes with being a public company. One exec explains, "We got tired of these bloated, bureaucratic monoliths telling us what we want instead of listening to the consumer. We want cool cars! So to that end we will stay a privately held company so we don't have to answer to Wall Street. The idea is to stay relatively small to keep things manageable and keep the cars exclusive. We want to make a car so good that people would camp out overnight for it, like Apple's iPhone."

Ambassador (Executive Edition)
hrdp_0804_04_z+amc_concept_cars+ambassador.jpg

AMC needed a big formal sedan to offset all the sporty cars that make up the bulk of the new lineup. One styling trademark shared with the Matador and the Javelin/AMX is the revival of the all-American pillarless hardtop body style. Careful stiffening in crucial areas and judicious floorpan bracing make this possible. While past Ambassadors had rather nondescript styling, the idea with the new car is a dignified yet energetic presence that makes the Rolls-Royce Phantom look like the box the Ambassador came in. Special care was taken with the interior appointments, with the goal being to go head-to-head in quality and features with any automaker, regardless of price. "Lexus better watch out," our obviously impressed spies observed.

https://web.archive.org/web/2008042...ehicles/hrdp_0804_amc_concept_cars/index.html

Gremlin
hrdp_0804_05_z+amc_concept_cars+amc_gremlin.jpg

Presenting the new "it" car of college campuses everywhere. Like the Pacer, the Gremmie took to updating very well. With today's push toward smaller, lighter, and thriftier cars, AMC is in the catbird seat with this and the Pacer ready to go. In typical AMC fashion, the company dialed up the fun quotient, too. Care was taken throughout the entire range of AMC cars to come up with well-styled, exciting, fun-to-drive cars across all price points-something the other automakers could learn from.

Another mandate of the new AMC is that the cars are made entirely in the U.S. To that end, a modern state-of-the-art assembly plant is going up just outside of Kenosha, Wisconsin, with another smaller plant just breaking ground in Southern California for limited-production runs and special projects. This plant will interact closely with AMC's advanced-design studio in Irvine.

Are you excited? You should be, especially after gazing at these concept renderings that were leaked to us. Start saving now!

Pacer
hrdp_0804_06_z+amc_concept_cars+amc_pacer.jpg

If ever a car deserved a do-over, it's the Pacer. By just moving a few lines around and redoing the glass area, AMC came up with a really cool version of the ol' fishbowl. The new styling team: magicians or miracle workers? What's surprising is how easily the Pacer could be modernized. This car is slightly downsized so as to compete with the Mini Cooper, but it won't be as small. The performance and handling outclass the Cooper with the bonus of getting great fuel efficiency. Who knew a Pacer could be this cool?

AMX Coupe
hrdp_0804_07_z+amc_concept_cars+amc_amc_coupe.jpg

Many people feel the original '68 AMX and Javelin were the coolest examples of the breed, so it was decided to base the new version of these cars on those classics, appropriately updating, detailing, and re-engineering them for today. The idea is to have the entire AMC lineup evolve like it has enjoyed continuous production. As in the past, the AMX and Javelin will share most major and minor components but will still remain unique cars.

AMX/4
hrdp_0804_08_z+amc_concept_cars+amc_amx_4.jpg

An ambitious undertaking for a startup automaker, this mid-engine exotic wants to give the owner a Lamborghini experience at a Corvette price. The company flagship, it shares the newly developed "clean" V-12 powerplant with the Ambassador sedan. With the nine-speed, paddle-shifted trans, an AMX/4 mule in disguised form was radar-gunned on Germany's Nurburgring test track at 220 mph. The AMX/4's styling takes cues from the '68 AMX two-seater coupe-look hard, they're there-with a large dose of Lamborghini Gallardo for flavor. Get your order in early.

Last edited:

SwampTiger

Banned
I liked AMC designs and pluck in the 60's through 80's. If they had been able to make the switch to front wheel drive or a four cylinder motor in the 70's, during or before the oil crises, the company may have survived another thirty or forty years. Unfortunately, they didn't. I and many other Americans discovered Japanese cars instead of buying outdated American cars. I still lurk on the AMC sites because of the economic, yet stylish cars of the time. Maybe if they did the Pacer wagon, not the sedan.

I saw these designs a while back. It would be hard to begin manufacturing something like this without a HUUUGGGE bankroll. Look at the problems and time frame for Tesla, even accounting for the technology advance.

I saw these designs a while back. It would be hard to begin manufacturing something like this without a HUUUGGGE bankroll. Look at the problems and time frame for Tesla, even accounting for the technology advance.

In the late 1970s a cash flush Japanese automaker acquires AMC as a prestige purchase, and to establish a US manufacturing presence. The Ambassador, Matador, and AMX are reworked into unique new technology cars, avoiding using much imported older Japanese technology/designs (patents). They are used to lead more mainstream Japanese models made in the US by the Japanese company. By the latter 1980s successful cars are rolling off spanking new high tech factory floors. Then Japan hits the economic wall circa 1988-89 & its extended stagnation leads to the AMC division being sold off circa 1995. The new owners, mostly US investors focus on solid management & skilled salesmanship to continue the AMC flag ships. They also pick up some profit making the Japanese marques on contract for the Japanese companies US dealers.

SwampTiger

Banned
I tried to come up with a promising European firm, but came up empty, except maybe Mercedes, Fiat or Peugeot. Fiat and Peugeot were exiting the US market at the time. Mercedes seems too incongruous.

I always wished AMC had based the Gremlin on the early 60's Rambler 100 inch wheelbase, offering a trunked coupe and a two door wagon/hatchback. The extra 4 inches for the back seat would have made for better sales. I still remember sitting hunched in my sisters Gremlin. My Datsun 510 was infinitely better. A four cylinder based on the 232 and 258 sixes before 1973, may have beaten Vega and Pinto in the mpg sensitive market.

Driftless

Donor
In the early '80's, AMC also produced the 4x4 Eagle, one of the first crossover CUV's. Maybe a bit ahead of the demand curve, but that might have offered another niche for them.

Jack Brisco

Banned
Wow. Brings back memories. Remember being a teenager and going to the local American Motors dealer to see the new Gremlin.

These are all great except for the Pacer. Lose the Pacer and bring back the Hornet instead.

Driftless

Donor

These are all great except for the Pacer. Lose the Pacer and bring back the Hornet instead.

I bought a '75 Pacer new - when they first came out, with the 258 c.i.d. I loved that car, even with all of the bull I received for it's unique look. Roomy, great lines of sight for the driver, comfortable, decent gas mileage for the era. Even with the slightly larger 258, it could have used a bit more juice... I drove it for several years, and I'd love to have an updated version.

I should also mention that I owned a Hornet station wagon for a few years. It was a good reliable, useful vehicle... which is kinda damning it with faint praise.

SwampTiger

Banned
Driftless and JB, the Hornet Sportabout version of the Eagle was the biggest seller of the line. If you needed 4 wheel drive, you needed room to haul stuff. The Hornet was a major seller for AMC. You NEED to keep the Hornet in the late 80's until a true replacement is designed. The loss of Jeep in the Chrysler buyout killed AMC.

Carl, try to get into the backseat of a Gremlin, or worse, a Spirit. I still remember my head hitting the hatch of a Spirit, and I was only 5'5". The extra wheelbase length affects headroom as well as legroom.

The Pacer was crippled by the decision to meet the proposed safety rules. Other manufacturers lobbied and got the rules revised. With the narrow backseat, I wish Teague and company had used real C-pillars and lightened the impact of that heavy glass. The Pacer could have been hundreds of pounds lighter. Bring back the 290 V8 or use the 304 from the beginning. The 4.0 stroker swaps are supposed to have plenty of scoot! and better mpg, but used later electronics.

Jack Brisco

Banned
Driftless and JB, the Hornet Sportabout version of the Eagle was the biggest seller of the line. If you needed 4 wheel drive, you needed room to haul stuff. The Hornet was a major seller for AMC. You NEED to keep the Hornet in the late 80's until a true replacement is designed. The loss of Jeep in the Chrysler buyout killed AMC.

Carl, try to get into the backseat of a Gremlin, or worse, a Spirit. I still remember my head hitting the hatch of a Spirit, and I was only 5'5". The extra wheelbase length affects headroom as well as legroom.

The Pacer was crippled by the decision to meet the proposed safety rules. Other manufacturers lobbied and got the rules revised. With the narrow backseat, I wish Teague and company had used real C-pillars and lightened the impact of that heavy glass. The Pacer could have been hundreds of pounds lighter. Bring back the 290 V8 or use the 304 from the beginning. The 4.0 stroker swaps are supposed to have plenty of scoot! and better mpg, but used later electronics.

Indeed, the Hornet Sportabout was well liked. I liked it.

When the Pacer came out it was intended to be powered by a Wankel engine. Since a Wankel engine wasn't available AMC had to go with one of their sixes. Car was heavy and needed air conditioning due to all the glass. This put an extra load on the engine and affected gas mileage - this in the time of the first oil shock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer

But no, I'd still toss the Pacer and bring back the Hornet. That was one nice car.

Jack Brisco

Banned
I liked AMC designs and pluck in the 60's through 80's. If they had been able to make the switch to front wheel drive or a four cylinder motor in the 70's, during or before the oil crises, the company may have survived another thirty or forty years. Unfortunately, they didn't. I and many other Americans discovered Japanese cars instead of buying outdated American cars. I still lurk on the AMC sites because of the economic, yet stylish cars of the time. Maybe if they did the Pacer wagon, not the sedan.

Yeah, sounds like a project for Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer, or Warren Buffett. You're probably talking about $10 billion to get into production.

Carl, try to get into the backseat of a Gremlin, or worse, a Spirit. I still remember my head hitting the hatch of a Spirit, and I was only 5'5". The extra wheelbase length affects headroom as well as legroom. ...

Yeah they shortened the wheel base to 96 inches. Still the Gremlin was essentially a Hornet missing its ass end.

Indeed, the Hornet Sportabout was well liked. I liked it.

When the Pacer came out it was intended to be powered by a Wankel engine. Since a Wankel engine wasn't available AMC had to go with one of their sixes. Car was heavy and needed air conditioning due to all the glass. This put an extra load on the engine and affected gas mileage - this in the time of the first oil shock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer

But no, I'd still toss the Pacer and bring back the Hornet. That was one nice car.

I was in my late teen/early twenties during the Gremlin Pacer era. Cool guys could buy a Gremlin circa 1972 & get away with it. Buy a Pacer & you turned in your man card and got a set of keys to a cheap tacky suburban house & a lower end management job the rest of you life. The low engine power was one thing, but the appearance by 1975 standards was strictly Dork.

Jack Brisco

Banned
I was in my late teen/early twenties during the Gremlin Pacer era. Cool guys could buy a Gremlin circa 1972 & get away with it. Buy a Pacer & you turned in your man card and got a set of keys to a cheap tacky suburban house & a lower end management job the rest of you life. The low engine power was one thing, but the appearance by 1975 standards was strictly Dork.

Yeah - was 19 in 1974 when Pacer first came out. The Mustang II, which also came out that year, looked much cooler by comparison.

Not sure which carmaker would have been a suitable partner. Only know AMC would have likely needed some pre-AMC PODs in order to come anywhere close to producing such cars in the ATL.

The questions to ask in helping bring about such a TL would be to explore the options AMC and their precursors investigated in OTL.

Some examples:
  • Kaiser K85 with possible unique hatchback variant (aka FWD Henry J)
  • an alternate Kaiser Henry J from a steel-bodied version of the Hotchkiss Grégoire also featuring a unique hatchback
  • Gregoire AFG that formed the basis of the Panhard Dyna X
  • 288ci / 4.7 Kaiser-Frazer OHV V8
  • Porsche-designed 98-106+ hp 3504cc 120-degree V6-engined Studebaker Type 542 / Z87 prototype
  • 83+ hp 2-litre Flat-4 rear-engined Porsche-designed Type 633 prototype
Am sure there is more projects / prototypes, though it gives a rough idea as how AMC could potentially survive and thrive.