1st Gulf war in an extended cold war

Simple question, would have the 1st gulf War have happened if the ussr was still a threat in Germany?
Or for example would the marines have been deployed to defend Saudi arabia but no desert storm like attack into Kuwait?

It really depends on the Soviets reaction and who is in control.

Ihave a feeling the Soviets might let it happen as they did OTL especially if Saddam was going against them.

Simple question, would have the 1st gulf War have happened if the ussr was still a threat in Germany?
Or for example would the marines have been deployed to defend Saudi arabia but no desert storm like attack into Kuwait?
So maybe in 1990 a coup happens by hardliner to forcefully preserve the USSR. Violent surpression of the Baltic Rebublics. Maybe the new hardliners want to show force in foreign policy despite reatively weak. So Saddam Hussein calls for help the Soviet Union reaches out to Iraq.

So maybe in 1990 a coup happens by hardliner to forcefully preserve the USSR. Violent surpression of the Baltic Rebublics. Maybe the new hardliners want to show force in foreign policy despite reatively weak. So Saddam Hussein calls for help the Soviet Union reaches out to Iraq.
Well I was thinking more that the eastern block dosnt collapse for what ever reason which probably requires a pod befor 1989.

It would be the question if Saddam invades Kuweit in such a timeline and if there would be a multi National alliance if the Waraw apact and USSR are still functionally intact.

It would be the question if Saddam invades Kuweit in such a timeline and if there would be a multi National alliance if the Waraw apact and USSR are still functionally intact.
Well Sadam money problems are still there even if the eastern packed is still there and if anything America is even more stuck in Europe then in the middle east then in iTTl. And that last part is the question.

marathag

Banned
If the USSR is around and powerful, their Client State would need to get the green light from Moscow before attacking a US or UK client, like Kuwait.

Iran was an ok target since the Mullahs blew up the support lines from the US and UK.

Kuwait? you don't want to involve superpowers from both sides involved with your local grab for territory.

I think it might depend upon how hot the cold war was and how bellicose the two sides were at the time. Surprisingly if this were the hard cold war of the 1950s and 1960s I think the Soviet view would be that the Persian Gulf was in the American sphere of influence and they would let the US deal with the problem. Latter, especially if the Reagan Evil Empire was present, I would see both an increased willingness in Moscow to get involved and lesser interest in the Western coalition. You would also have the issue of whether teh US would move the VII Corps from Germany. You could substitute I Corps from the US West Coast but that is one of the reinforcement units for Korea.