1994: No Republican Victory

We often hear that the reason why Bill Clinton wasn't able to conduct much of his policies during his years as President was the Republican Midterm victory in 1994.
Having read several books on subject I concluded that the reason for this victory was among the many scandals involving democrat politicians in the 1980s.
If the 1980s has been cleaner decade without that many scandals and the democrats hadn't lost their majority in both houses of Congress.

How different would the Clinton years have been? Would Clinton(s) have been able to do healthcare reform?

would've changed a lot of things. First off there would be no government shutdown. Without that, Lewinsky doesn't gain the access to Clinton that she does, therefore she doesn't blab about banging him. Without the scandal, Gore enters the 2000 race as the VP of a relatively successful president, and he may end up winning the 2000 election

Actually, I think the odds of Clinton winning reelection in 1996 goes down as he was able to triangulate his way to popularity during 1995/1996. The shock of the 1994 election was such that Clinton started governing from the center. The problem had he faced was that 1993/1994 he did not seem to be doing so. The voters punished the Congressional Democrats for this and Clinton governed from the center out of necessity.

Actually, I think the odds of Clinton winning reelection in 1996 goes down as he was able to triangulate his way to popularity during 1995/1996. The shock of the 1994 election was such that Clinton started governing from the center. The problem had he faced was that 1993/1994 he did not seem to be doing so. The voters punished the Congressional Democrats for this and Clinton governed from the center out of necessity.

What about National Healthcare?

We shouldn't forget Clinton made a major political recovery with a well-received response to the Oklahoma City bombing in April, 1995. That was as important to his future as his "shift to the center," and independent from the 94 election.

And that contributed to 94 more than the scandals, IMO.

Both how radical it's agenda was, and that it failed so badly.

Actually as it was written it was quite reactionary, basically a big piece of corporate welfare for insurance companies. It was also literally written by the insurance companies.

The lesson of 94 is one Obama should heed, that when a centrist pres is perceived as not having the courage of his convictions, he will always lose to those who do, even if much of what they spout is nonsense such as ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Outside of a fumbled attempt at ending restrictions on gays in the military, Clinton was not only to the center from the very beginning, he was a slightly right of center pres facing a radical far right set of Repubs. Some things don't change....

If Clinton had handled strategy for healthcare better and gotten it passed, it likely would be a very weak and underfunded effort constantly being undercut by ideological opposition, much like welfare has been. Thus you'd probably would've seen efforts by GWB to roll it back entirely, just as Bush tried to kill social security by privatizing it.

Last edited:
Actually as it was written it was quite reactionary, basically a big piece of corporate welfare for insurance companies. It was also literally written by the insurance companies.

The lesson of 94 is one Obama should heed, that when a centrist pres is perceived as not having the courage of his convictions, he will always lose to those who do, even if much of what they spout is nonsense such as ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Outside of a fumbled attempt at ending restrictions on gays in the military, Clinton was not only to the center from the very beginning, he was a slightly right of center pres facing a radical far right set of Repubs. Some things don't change....

If Clinton had handled strategy for healthcare better and gotten it passed, it likely would be a very weak and underfunded effort constantly being undercut by ideological opposition, much like welfare has been. Thus you'd probably would've seen efforts by GWB to roll it back entirely, just as Bush tried to kill social security by privatizing it.

Well I disagree with your interpretation of events, but it would be quite off-topic to go into it.

THe ramification of the OP are quite interesting and deserve attention.

Last edited:
Was this event here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam

the main event that gave the Republicans their victory in 1994?

IMO the scandals actually strengthened Clinton, the various investigations were generally presented in the media as partisan in nature and Clinton was very good at weaseling out of the blame.

As I said I believe the Healthcare attempt is what cost him the most, he put his wife and charge, exceeded the expectations of those who voted for him (in a bad way) and then was incapable of getting a bill through a democratic congress.

ALso, examine the Contract with America for the proactive side of the Republicans causing the victory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_with_America

Getting rid of Newt might be your POD.

I wonder, how likely would it be that Ann Richards hangs on in Texas? She was personally popular and was largely a vicim of the bad national environment. Though Dubya might come back in 1998 much like Jeb did after he lost in 94.

Clinton would probably win reelection in 1996, the economy was going well and he had been praised for his response the Oklahoma bombings.

Health Care could keep the Democrats from losing in '94, though I think the reasons for GOP gains exceeded just Health Care. But, on a National Health, Clinton needed to work with Congress for it to have a chance.

I wonder, how likely would it be that Ann Richards hangs on in Texas? She was personally popular and was largely a vicim of the bad national environment. Though Dubya might come back in 1998 much like Jeb did after he lost in 94.
That, and Bush and Karl Rove spread the rumor she was a Lesbian.