1988: War of the Cities goes bio-chemical

nyudnik

Banned
In the 1988 "War of the Cities", Saddam and the Mullahs traded hundreds of Scuds, killing thousands in Baghdad and Tehran. WI Saddam had used bio-chemicaltipped warheads against Iran. killing 100s of thousands? What would have been the world reaction and response, if any?

nyudnik said:
In the 1988 "War of the Cities", Saddam and the Mullahs traded hundreds of Scuds, killing thousands in Baghdad and Tehran. WI Saddam had used bio-chemicaltipped warheads against Iran. killing 100s of thousands? What would have been the world reaction and response, if any?

Probably not much. I doubt that the world would much care if the Iranians and Iraqis kill each other by the million.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with brilliantlight here--when saddam gassed the kurds there was the usual round of condemnation for a few weeks or months but once the headlines disappeared it became business as usual for everyone.

I figure by 1989 most countries in the west wouldn't care....

Other thing

The other thing is that at that time most of the Western World was cheering Saddam on because of their desire to stop the Islamic fundamentalists.

No one cares. When was the last time the slaughter of Muslims in any number mattered in the slightest to the US and Europe. No Israelis involved equals no story.

Grimm Reaper said:
No one cares. When was the last time the slaughter of Muslims in any number mattered in the slightest to the US and Europe. No Israelis involved equals no story.

Hell, when has the slaughter of Moslems by other Moslems mattered to outside Moslems? Assad wiped out a whole town in Syria and no one in the Islamic world gave a damn.